News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

057. (Coda 2) Part 1: A quiet day

Started by Anastasia, August 25, 2013, 03:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

> Time passes from the Nidavellr incident. Wounds mend, gold is spent and life on Aurora continues. It's an unremarkable day of spell research for Muirfinn. He's in Aurora's library. He's sitting back with his feet up as he does his reading. It's then that a loud CRASH disturbs him. It comes from the bookshelves behind him. A moment later you hear Kascha's voice mutter, "Ooooowww....!"
* Muirfinn looks up, putting feet to the ground and a claw into the book to mark his place. He heads toward the sound of the crash. "Kascha? Are you alright?"
> You find Kascha lying amid several books. As she lies there the books float back up and into place. Around Kascha's head a quartet of ioun stones drift in orbit; an orange prism, a dark blue rhomboid, a brass lozenge and a clear cube. She looks up to reply, eyes occasionally veering away to follow a passiong stone. "I'm alright. I don't think the walls are cold iron," With a wan smile she starts to rise, "Ever since I got these ioun stones, I'm running into things. They keep catching my attention."
<Muirfinn> "You can spin them so they don't interfere with your field of view, you know." Muirfinn says, pluching one of his own stones out of the air and setting it spinning over the back of his head and under his chin.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Plucking. Pluching sounds horrible.
> Kascha gets up, dusting herself off. "I know. But I want to get used to them, so if they get knocked out of normal orbit in battle, that they won't distract me." She takes a moment to generally right herself, shaking her head, "Hanna's been helping with that. She's been having me take them into the bath and practice walking, running and jumping on slippery tiles with them going."
<Muirfinn> "That can help." Muirfinn says, nodding. "Can you fly well with them?"
> "Better, since a small slip when flying is easier to adjust." As Kascha continues, Elena appears next to you. "Hi Muirfinn!" she begins, cutting right in. She's dressed up like a dashing prince today, "Ebony would like to meet with you."
<Muirfinn> Manly and stoic creature that he is, Muirfinn carefully does not let out a strident screech of terror and surprise at Elena's sudden appearance. That's good, Kascha. Keep it up and you'll be fine, I am certain." He turns to Elena. "A fine day to you, Elena. Where can I find her?"
> "By the phase spiders," Elena says with a teasing smile. "Canderella's there too. You can't miss them, they're having tea and arguing theology."
* Muirfinn snorts. "This I have to see."
> "Hi," Kascha startles slightly, but recovers after a split-second. "Oh, I'll talk to you later then," Kascha says, "I need to catch up to Jaela, anyway. We're heading to the Cauldron for business for a few days. I'll see you when I get back"
> OOC: Gah.
> "Hi," Kascha startles slightly, but recovers after a split-second. "Oh, I'll talk to you later then," Kascha says, "I need to catch up to Jaela, anyway. We're heading to the Cauldron for business for a few days. I'll see you when I get back."
* Muirfinn nods at Kascha, heading off.
> You find the courtyard busy. The thousand of the Burning Aeropolis are at practice against a force of the Graceful Blow, the Knights of the Wise Convent and several squads of celestial reinforcement. It is a battle of wooden weapons and restrained magic, going through the motions of magical war. You slip past all of this and head to the phase spiders. Amid this den of webs you find a single table of webbing and two chairs. Ebony and Canderella are sharing tea together, each with a teacup. Ebony is glaring at Canderella over her teacup, but the cup doesn't quite hide a smile. Canderella is reclining back in her chair, speaking. "...and that's why. It's obvious that by being all inclusive that it includes law."
> "But as it's opposed to law, chaos can't have law in it. It's a logical contradiction," Ebony points out, pausing to sip her tea. "It's unjustifiable."
> Canderella smiles a little bit and waves her teacup about, using it to poitn as she lectures. "Logic is a construct of order. It's worthless when dealing with chaos, so any logical inconsistency is irrelevant. Your entire argument's based on a flawed assumption."
> "Logic is universal," Ebony adds just a bit of force to her voice, causing it to stir your blood like the first note of bardsong. "No matter how chaos twists and writhes, one plus one will always be two. Chaos can't change immutable truths like that."
> "Really?" Canderella shakes her head and sighs, "Are we going back to arguing over math? Go to Nature Heart and ask Talos to make one plus one equal six. Then what?"
> "Then six is two. It doesn't matter what you call it," Ebony waves her free hand again, as if brushing away a foul smell. "A new coat of paint on two doesn't change the fact that it's two. Gods are powerful, but they can't change the underlying rules of Creation. Otherwise, why would they not have been changed before?"
> "Pfft," Canderella chuckles, leaning forward, "If things have changed, how would your precious logic know? For all you know, the Gods changed logic around twice today and you had no idea. If your logic is self-supporting by nature, wouldn't a change be impossible to notice?"
> "Now you're just being a sore loser," Ebony retorts, "Even if that could be true - and it isn't - it's completely unverifiable. You may as well claim that about anything, it has no meaning to us."
* Muirfinn waits patiently, hands clasped and waiting either for one of them to explode or acknowledge him. Either way, he is amused.
> The response is most eloquent, for Canderella sticks her tongue out at Ebony. She's smiling despite it once she stops, "Hello," she says to Muirfinn, "Don't mind me. I know Ebony's been waiting for you." She rises and puts her cup down, heading off.
> Ebony smiles and sits forward, putting her tea down as well. She pauses to flex out her wings and look to Muirfinn, gesturing to the open seat. "Would you care to sit down?"
<Muirfinn> Giving Canderella a farewell wave, Muirfinn takes her seat. "Thank you. How can I help you today?"
> Gah! Muirfinn gets a jolt akin to a strong static shock once he sits down. "Syala has an interest matters pertaining to Sharess. She'd like to meet with you and one other person who fought with Kina-ja.
> Gah! Muirfinn gets a jolt akin to a strong static shock once he sits down. "Syala has an interest matters pertaining to Sharess. She'd like to meet with you and one other person who fought with Kina-ja. The fact that Kina-ja is moving is troubling and worth investigation."
<Muirfinn> "I don't know how much she's moving anymore, considering she decided to run away from us into a rift to the Far Plane." Muirfinn says, "But sure. I'll oblige. I'll take Vivantha."
> "Thank you," Ebony inclines her head forward in a nod, "She would like you to come with all haste. If you can leave within the hour that would be appreciated."
<Muirfinn> "Of course. I'll find Vivantha now, if you don't mind. Shall I return to you before we leave, or will you be staying here?"
> "I'll go with you. Syala has taken care of transportation," Ebony says, "Come by here when you're ready."
* Muirfinn stands. "I'll return shortly, then!"
> From there, a quick Elena assist leads you to Vivantha. She's in Balyss' room. On going over and knocking on the door, "Come in," Balyss calls.
* Muirfinn enters!
> Within are several. Vivantha lies stomach-down on Balyss' bed. Her wings are in the air. On one side of the bed is Balyss and on the other side is Stille. They're tending to her wings, using a curious looking brush to go through them. Sylvie's back is seen, as she's currently rustling around in Balyss' closet. Ithea's on the couch, curled up and snoozing away in a catnap. "Good day," Stille greets.
> "Hi," Balyss says absently, focusing on the wing she's tending to. She spares a quick glance up, "Do you need a divination, Muirfinn?"
<Muirfinn> "Vivantha, actually." Muirfinn says, giving Stille a brief eye.
<Muirfinn> "And a good afternoon to everyone as well."
<Muirfinn> OOC: Blar, I keep tapping the enter key when I hit the quotation
> "Aaaahhh." Vivantha's reply is as much throaty murmur as actual speech. "Brave hero, mmmmmm. Aaaaaaah." She murmurs in contentment as the two work.
> "Hi," Sylvie calls from the closet, "Balyss, where's that gown you mentioned? I can't find it in here."
* Muirfinn slowly raises a scaly eyebrow. Mammals are strange.
> "Behind the spare vestments," she calls, before glancing up to Muirfinn, "Did you hear about Hanna's trip out the last time I gave her divinations?"
<Muirfinn> "Who hasn't?" Muirfinn replies.
> Stille grins at that as he works, "27 has been rather put out since then," he says, "He endlessly mutters about hugs when Hanna's around."
> "I still don't see it," Sylvie replies, "I feel worse for Hanna."
> "Hold on," Balyss puts the brush down and departs, going over to the closet with Sylvie. "...huh, I thought it was back there," Carries out a few moments later.
* Muirfinn maneuvers around, kneeling in front of Vivantha. "Vivantha, I'm going to Syala shortly. Would you care to join me?"
> Vivantha looks up, her free wing twitching as Stille works. "I'm glad to help you. What can I do to help you, brave hero?"
<Muirfinn> OOC: I AM FASTER
> "Syala?" That causes her to jostle and sit up, freeing her other wing. "The Goddess of Sylica? Of course. It is a great honor to meet a Goddess."
* Muirfinn nods. "She'd like to speak with us about our fight with Kina-ja."
> "I told you," Sylvie says with an exasperated sigh, "You probably did something with it after having too much applejack."
> "Oh, if it's that gown, it's in my room," Stille speaks up, "Dear Balyss fell asleep there after falling rather deep into her cups."
> Ignoring the others, "I am ready at a moment's notice," Vivantha says, getting up. "When will we go?"
> "Syala? Oh, that Kina-ja thing," Sylvie peeks out, "Let me know if you need help with her. I'm stuck with 21, I may as well use it if it's useful."
<Muirfinn> "Within the hour." Muirfinn says.
* Muirfinn looks at Sylvie, "If I know we will encounter her again, you can bet you will receive an invitation."
> "Good." Sylvie ducks back into the closet.
> "Shall we," Vivantha says, heading to the door.
* Muirfinn offers his arm. "Let's."
> The trip to Ebony is without incident. The three of you meet up and head outside. Out in Air, Drena and the elementals continue their eternal vigilance. The endless sky stretches out as far as the eye can see. Ebony knees where she floats, hands together as she prays. This lasts seven heartbeats before a whirling portal appears before the party.
* Muirfinn greets elementals as they pass, waiting as Ebony crafts her portal, and then stepping through when she is finished.
> It is like rising up a current of air. You soar up as battlecries come from all directions. In a moment you are in Ysgard, near the portal to Sylica. A quick trip to it takes you into the secluded realm. It is the same as last time, Ebony leading you into the palace of Liberton. You go past angels of light and glory, a familiar sight that in no way dims the majesty of them. In time you come to a simple door in a beautiful hall, Ebony stepping aside. "Syala is within," she says, "Here I will depart, for Alicia wishes for me to report to her on another matter."
* Muirfinn nods. "We'll see you later then."
* Muirfinn looks at Vivantha. "Ready?"
> Vivantha nods slightly, "I'm ready."
* Muirfinn pushes open the door, striding through.
> Within is a beautiful meeting room. The back wall is transparent, showing a view of the Opal Mountain in the distance. The glowing radiance of it reaches to the room adn wall, coming through to cast everything in a soft blue light - save for the single inhabitant. She sits and outshines all else, an angel clothed in radiance. You can feel her presence in the room, suffocating and potent. It momentarily overloads your senses. For a moment you can only think of battles and family, a confusing yet inspiring combination of images. She feels stronger than the last time you met her, obvious merely by being in the same room as she. "Welcome. Please sit," It is spoken in a friendly voice, yet is is unarguably a command.
> Vivantha reaches out and uses Muirfinn for support, before simply obeying and going to sit on a couch.
<Muirfinn> Muirfinn graciously aids Vivantha, taking a seat beside her. "Greetings."
> "Greetings," Syala echos, "To the point, I would like to look into your memories of Kina-ja."
<Muirfinn> "Well. Straight to the point, I'd say. In the interests of curiosity, why?"
> "Ysgard is like home to me. I'd like to know what an enemy of Sharess was doing nosing around down there." Syala meets Muirfinn's eyes for only a moment, the rest of the world going grayscale save for her, until her gaze leaves him. "Sharess was my creator and I take great pleasure in stamping out threats against her."
* Muirfinn nods. "I understand. We were surprised to see her down there at all. I had rather expected some sort of dragon or something."
> "That bothers me as well," Vivantha speaks up now, "Why was she there? It was just a treasure hoard. What in it was so appealing to her?"
<Muirfinn> "She is a demon, and a mad one at that. Perhaps she believed giant bars of gold would protect her from the beasts inside her head."
> "Perhaps, but I think that's idiotic," Syala replies, "She is a vain, self motivated creature arrogant enough to challenge Sharess and invite her biographers to the battle. I don't trust her to have gone mad."
<Muirfinn> "If she wasn't before, she likely is now. She exscaped from here into the Far Realm."
> "I will judge that. May I see your memories?" Syala asks.
<Muirfinn> "You may see mine. I cannot speak for Vivantha though."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> "Yes," Vivantha consents right after.
> Syala merely glances at the two. It's like a feather tickles across your mindscape, the completely strange sensation of a mental sneeze the result of that. The Goddess is silent a few moments after that, her eyes narrowing. "Oh, she wants to play?" she says in a peevish tone.
<Muirfinn> "Er." Muirfinn says. "She does?"
> "She mentioned me by name," Syala says, "I saw it in both your memories."
* Muirfinn scratches his head. "I honestly don't recall it, but I don't believe that I was paying precise attention to what she was saying at the time. I was more trying to beat her to death."
> "It was rather hectic," Vivantha adds, "But I do recall it now. The sight of her was distressing."
> "It was absymal," Syala agrees, closing her eyes for a moment. When her eyes open they are full of power, blazingly bright. "If she wishes to come to my home and pick a fight, she'll get one. That wasn't a portal to the Far Realm, so it's not done." A short pause at that, giving Muirfinn a gaze. It makes his skin tingle and his body tense, breathing becoming difficult. Your perception is nigh-overwhelmed by Syala's presence. It doesn't last long and she averts her gaze. "Are you interested in working against Kina-ja?"
<Muirfinn> "I suppose that working against a second abomination of the Abyss can't be too much worse than working against just one. I'm in."
> "I'll support you, brave hero," Vivantha affirms, "I'd be honored to help, Goddess."
> "Good." Syala glances at the space between herself and the party, a table appearing. It's full of food and drink. "I'll send a servant to coordinate with you briefly. Help yourselves while you wait."
* Muirfinn stands, bowing. "We are both honored to help. It's a noble thing."
* Infinite_Were_Kotono (~Desktop@ip72-201-113-118.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #dunes
* Infinite_Were_Kotono is now known as Muirfinn_
> "Thank you," Syala replies, gone a second later. No magic, no signs of it, simply that the Goddess is no longer with you. The overwhelming presence fades, the rest of the world no longer hidden under overwhelming presence. Vivantha sits back and exhales, saying nothing.
* Muirfinn (~Desktop@ip72-201-113-118.ph.ph.cox.net) Quit (Ping timeout)
* Muirfinn_ is now known as Muirfinn
* Muirfinn waits a beat, the says, "Whe's rather forceful, wouldn't you say?"
> "My heart's racing," Vivantha says, voice limp and soft. "Quite forceful."
* Muirfinn frowns. "That sort of behavior concerns me. A creature such as Kina-ja must be carefully planned around. If she expects us to charge in boldly and without a plan, this could go very poorly."
> "I hope not!" Vivantha quickly agrees. She reaches out and takes a goblet of water and drinks, "I doubt it, however. We're allies."
* Muirfinn rests a hand on her shoulder. "Indeed. Let's hope it stays that way."
* Ebiris (Ebiris@cpc9-sgyl30-2-0-cust73.sgyl.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: )
> There's a short reverie of waiting, broken when someone else comes into the room. It is Antenora, an angel you have met before. She closes the door behind her and comes to sit. Her presence is palpable, but far more manageable than Syala's. "I'm glad you survived a meeting with Kina-ja intact," she greets. "Syala would like to begin with information gathering."
<Muirfinn> "Well, I believe we were more than she was prepared to handle at the time. Please tell us how we can get started."
> "It's best to start safe," Antenora continues, "With no risk too abhorrent happening if things go wrong. Brightwater is one of the premier trading hubs in Creation. Information flows throughout it. Finding information about Kina-ja there may be possible. If she's been moving around, word of it may have spread."
* Muirfinn is now known as Yuthirin
* Muirfinn (Yuthirin@ip72-201-113-118.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #dunes
> <Muirfinn> "Well, I believe we were more than she was prepared to handle at the time. Please tell us how we can get started."
> "It's best to start safe," Antenora continues, "With no great risk too if things go wrong. Brightwater is one of the premier trading hubs in Creation. Information flows throughout it. Finding information about Kina-ja there may be possible. If she's been moving around, word of it may have spread."
<Muirfinn> "It's possible. We'll look into it and see what can be dug up."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> "Take a few days there to search. Send word if you find good information. If not, you'll be contacted with the next step." Antenora continues on, "How you execute your search is left at your discretion."
* Muirfinn nods. "We'll let you know how it goes then."
> "Thank you," Vivantha nods, "If things go wrong in Brightwater, are there any resources we can call on?"
> "If you get into troubles with the locals, ask for the advocacy of Donald Smurth. He's a friend, mention my name or Alicia's and he'll cooperate." Antenora explains, "He can be difficult, but he'll smooth things over eventually."
> "Thank you," Vivantha repeats, "I'm ready, brave hero." OOC: Muirfinn, what's your plan here then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Off to Brightwater for urban adventures. I'll attempt GI on Kina-ja ND DEMONIC ACTIVITY WHEN WE GER THERE. when we get there. Fi
<Muirfinn> OOC: Wow caps
<Muirfinn> OOC: Let's try that again
<Muirfinn> OOC: Off to Brightwater for urban adventures. I'll attempt GI on Kina-ja and demonic activity when we get there.
> OOC: Okay.
> The trip to Brightwater is a familiar one. You appear in one of the transport destinations within Waukeen's section of the city. Ahead is the bustle of the great markets, buildings that glitter like gold all around you. Vivantha is a little slower, taking the time to soak it all in as you go...OOC: Make GI? Vivantha will aid.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+26
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+26 and gets 40." [1d20=14]
* Muirfinn looks at Vivantha as they walk. "Have you never been here before?"
> roll 1d20+10
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+10 and gets 28." [1d20=18]
> OOC: +1 more but irrelevant.
> As you walk along, Vivantha shakes her head, "I've been before," she notes, "But it's a wondrous sight." You walk ahead into the markets. Ahead is an open air bazaar, goods from across the planes being sold. You pass a stall full of jars full of slithering peanuts, a shout calling, "Peanuts from Limbo! Peanuts from Limbo! Each bite is a new adventure!" The next is one with bolts of cloth stacked in the back, colorful and bright. "Lysian fabrics! Woven by mortal womens who live as ascetics in a mountaintop monastery! One of a kind across Creation, woven from the fabrics of the woolly tamtals!"
<Muirfinn> Tamtals? Muirfinn shakes his head. "Yes, there's much to see, and it's always changing."
> A mercane in a white gown-like toga brushes past you as you talk, several humanoids carrying boxes and following. A moment later a hoard of short women run past your over side, Vivantha stepping aside for them. "Still, we have a goal. Shall we get searching?"
* Muirfinn nods. "Let's get to it. We can browse later."
> A few hours pass. You do a lot of wandering, hopping and going to and fro. You don't find anything substantial at first, more setting up contacts and eliminating obvious dead ends. Eventually you're talking to a mercane at his stall. It's full of chicken heads dotted with strange runes. "...and that's why these heads are the best scepter focuses for a warlock," he explains, "At least one that isn't so taken with evil that he's off chasing some Gods-cursed fiend. But I digress." The mercane's a bit tall for his type, a real motormouth that causes him to go on and on and on. "You were asking about Kina-ja, eh? I've heard about that in some of the songs they sing across the river. Lovely women, the Maidens of Bast. So you're looking for more about her. Friend, I don't know anything about her, but I know someone who can help you."
<Muirfinn> "And who might that be?" Muirfinn says patiently.
> "Glitterosm. He has a shop in Brightwater. He deals in lore. Buuuuut..." He trails off here, "Not anyone can just go to his shop. Story that his shop is hidden and can move around Brightwater. There's a trick to finding it." He smiles slightly, "You understand that this knowledge is valuable."
* Muirfinn eyes the Mercane. "Go on."
> Vivantha nods, ever so softly sighing.
> "There's a powerful merchant named Sisatar. I've been wanting to meet with him to pitch a sure-fire plan to make us a lot of money, but he's busy. He owns a trading company called the Silverbrow Consortium. If you could get me a meeting with him, I could point you towards Glitterosm's shop."
<Muirfinn> "We are aware of them. We've dealt with them recently." Muirfinn says. "Is there a representative for him here?"
> "Oh, you have! Then it should be easy. Yes, the main officers are here. They're down on Windfall Avenue." Jemele the Mercane says, having introduced himself before he went on a long digression about warlocks and chicken heads.
> *offices
* Muirfinn blinks very slowly. "Alright. We'll go speak to them on your behalf."
> "A pleasure doing profitable business with you," The mercane says, clapping his hands together. As you walk away, Vivantha quietly murmurs, "You've dealt with that consortium before?"
<Muirfinn> "I dealt with them on my travels after leaving Lifasa, but before finding the Aurora. They pointed me toward Earth, where I met Ithea and Kascha."
> "Fortunate," Vivantha smiles now, "May this be less of an interminable side job that stalls us from the meat of our efforts. Your efforts to satisfy Baleruk's treasure lust was rife with them, brave hero."
* Muirfinn nods. "If there is one thing I have learned, it is that every goal comes with its own set of trials."
> OOC: What's your approach going to be, Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'm honestly not sure. I was thinking more like "Hey, I'm the turtleman from a while back. Lemme talk to the boss man and while you're at it, get me a coffee."
<Muirfinn> OOC: But that's probably not wise
> OOC: Okay. More then while you think it over.
<Muirfinn> OOC: WAIT!
<Muirfinn> OOC: A brilliant idea!
> OOC: Oh?
<Muirfinn> OOC: They call themselves the Silverbrows! Why not show up as a silver dragon? :D :D :D
> OOC: Okay, if that's how youw ant to play it. ARe you going to transform before hand and fly there or wait until you get there?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'll xform now. Medium-sized to fit through doors and whatnot
<Muirfinn> OOC: Age class young, if it matters
> OOC: Okay.
> Muirfinn transforms! He gets a few looks as a medium sized silver dragon appears! But not too many. More like respectful nods and people giving him a wider birth. This persists the entire trip, Muirfinn's draconic form buying you easy passage through the busy streets. Windfall Avenue has streets of gold. The buildings here are tall and loom over you in dozens of stories, yet not a single one casts a shadow. All is bright here, and above the sky glitters like bright diamonds. As you step onto the street, a voice is heard in your mind! 'Welcome to Windfall Avenue, valued draconic visitor. As you are certainly already aware, Windfall Avenue's skies are forbidden territory past the rooftops. Please do not fly above them. Thank you and continue your business, valued guest.'
* Muirfinn blinks, cocking his head. "That's odd."
> "DId you just get a message?" Vivantha asks, a hint of amusement as she looks around. "About not flying above roof level?"
<Muirfinn> "Yes I did. How unusual. I wonder why."
> "I wonder," Vivantha merely murmurs as you continue on. The buliding you're looking for isn't hard to find. After all, it' snot every day you see a imposing, dozen story tall behemoth of a building with a front of pure amethyst. The light from the golden streets reflects up into it, turning the impossibly large slabs of gemstone to sparkle a bright, pale purple. A grand door big enough for a great wyrm dragon to pass through is open, as if to invite any and all to come in. But it's hard to see inside, your eyes constantly sliding over what's inside and not registering it at all. Above the door leading in is a dragon's head carved of amethyst, fit for a a town-sized dragon. It's open in an eternal, silent roar. OOC: Make a CL check on true seeing.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+13 CL check
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+13 CL check and gets 32." [1d20=19]
* NeremWorld (NeremWorld@75-172-93-9.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout)
* NeremWorld (~Nerem@75-172-16-253.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #dunes
> Your eyes quickly shake off the odd effect and can see inside the building. Ahead is a plaza bigger than most castles. There are fountain there that spew purple water that becomes amethysts as it rains down. There are purple and black plants all over, pruned and grown into miniature dragon-shapes to decorate small gardens. These gardens have stone-wrought benches with supports of beautiful women, the stone carved to absolute perfection. In the back there's a huge wooden square that serves as a desk, big enough for a dozen pretty women to stand within the center and have lots of space to spare.
* Muirfinn slowly cocks his head the other way. "...huh. They're fond of purple here."
> Your partner's reply is to look up at the be-gemmed wall and then around, "Is there such a thing as a purple dragon?" she asks the transformed Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Is there?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Cause I could tell stories
> OOC: Quick K:A check.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+23
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+23 and gets 43." [1d20=20]
> Purple dragons do exist. They're rare - lore suggests they're the spawn of a forgotten sister to Tiamat, which her doctrine and clergy fiercely denies - and view themselves as lords of all dragonkind. They're arrogant even for dragons. They're mainly notable for having three different types of breath weapons, including turning their breath weapon into a blade and slicing foes apart with it. However, amethyst gem dragons are commonly mistaken for purple dragons by the uninformed.
<Muirfinn> "There are, and they're rare. They're rumored to be the vile spawn of a sister to Tiamat. They're arrogant and incredibly dangerous. It's more likely that we're looking at effigies of amethyst dragons."
> Vivantha nods, following Muirfinn's lead. OOC: Ball's in your court, silver.
<Muirfinn> "It's unlikely that you would find a purple dragon here. There aren't enough opportunities for it to rule and dominate everything around it." Muirfinn says, claws clicking on stone as he walks around the fountain. "Amethysts are much more mild. " OOC: Are there any obvious structures in the area that might be what we're looking for."
> OOC: The square wooden desk with a dozen pretty women comes to mind. There's also all those small gardens and benches around.
* Muirfinn heads for the square desk!
> Vivantha follows. The trip is pleasant, the insides just the right temperature to your scales. You pass fountains of amethysts and many little parks before reaching ot the desk. Each woman has brightly colored hair in a rainbow of colors, natural and otherwise. Each wears a well-cut dress in the same color as their hair and lots of jewelry with matching gemstones. A redhead with pouty red lips who virtually drips rubies bows as you approach. In flawless draconic, a marvel from her humanoid mouth, "Sir dragon and companion," she greets. "Welcome to the Silverbrow Consortium."
<Muirfinn> OOC: True seeing show her as humanoid? What the hell is she?
> OOC: She's a humanoid. Make an K:A check real quick.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+23
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+23 and gets 26." [1d20=3]
> It's something about her. Nothing you can pin visually, just a feeling in the marrow of your bones. This woman is dragon. This feeling is the feeling a dragon could give off. The feeling of restraind and disguised power.
* Muirfinn nods at the woman, replying in kind. "You have our thanks. My name is Muirfinn. Can you tell us if Sisatar is available?"
> "Call me Ruby," The redhead replies with a coy smile, "Is Mister Sisatar expecting you?"
> A blue haired woman virtually drowning in sapphires glanes over, "I am Sapphire. The theme continue as obvious," she adds in the same perfect draconic. "If I may intervene a moment, you aren't a local. Are you newly arrived from the mortal coil?"
<Muirfinn> "I'm afraid he is not. I was hoping that we could impinge upon his time for a moment." He glances at Sapphire. "I still yet live, if that is what you ask."
> Ruby and Sapphire exchange looks, before Ruby smiles and steps aside. No words are exchanged, but Sapphire looks amused. She clears her throat before continuing, "Please, come with me." Sapphire blinks momentarily, appearing besides you in the blur of teleportation.
* Muirfinn nods. "After you, then."
> You are lead further within. Past all the wealth are an array of doors that blend into the wall. One is opened and you step through. Stepping through is like free-falling for a second, teleportation taking you elsewhere! You stand in a room full of giant crystalline structures. Giant gemstones and crystals surrounded by velvet ropes are all about, each one having a small wooden sign floating just besides them.  Occasionally cozy tables and chairs are besides a particularly impressive set. You are lead to the nearest table, "Growing Wealth, a restaurant," Sapphire announces as the chairs pull themselves out for you. "If you sit down and watch for a time, you can see the gems growing before your eyes. It's as enthralling as it sounds, but please restrain yourself. They are part of Mister Sisatar's hoard."
> "Mister Sisatar is generous with showing off his wealth," Vivantha observes as she takes a seat.
* Muirfinn nods, resting beside the table. "We can contain ourselves. Thank you for bringing us here."
> "We tried reports detailing how Mister Sisatar's investment portfolio was increasing first, but there wasn't nearly the same impact," Sapphire smiles slightly, "Forgive me, you are not a dragon, miss. I assure you, the stories of dragon hoards are entirely true. What is better than sleeping on a hoard than sleeping on a hoard that is growing bigger as you rest? It is pleasing." Listening to Muirfinn after, "It's no problem." Sapphire snaps her fingers, a ghostly figure appearing. Muirfinn can see it perfectly - an unseen servant. "Brine soaked crystals for the two of us and finger foods for our lillend guest," she instructs, the servant scuttling off right after. Here Sapphire looks over Muirfinn, "Can you assume a humanoid form? It's rather silly to see a true dragon sitting in a chair like a human."
<Muirfinn> "Of course." Muirfinn says, taking tortle form.
> "Now, are you new to the planes?" she asks, "Allow me to explain. Mister Sisatar is a busy and important man. He controls interests across multiple planes and realities. With a stroke of his pen he can cause millions of gold coins to be gained or spent. One does not merely walk here and ask to see him, even if you are a dragon."
> Vivantha raises an eyebrow at that, glancing over at Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> "Well, perhaps he will be interested in what we have to offer him then." Muirfinn says, idly picking at his scales with a claw.
> "I'm listening," Sapphire says. A moment later the servant returns. Before you and Sapphire he puts a bowl of water with little fragments of crystal littering the bottom. He puts a plate of various little finger foods before Vivantha. Once he's gone, Sapphire continues. "Feel free to use your fingers or claws.
> "I'm listening," Sapphire says. A moment later the servant returns. Before you and Sapphire he puts a bowl of water with little fragments of crystal littering the bottom. He puts a plate of various little finger foods before Vivantha. Once he's gone, Sapphire continues. "Feel free to use your fingers or claws. " She plucks out a large hunk of crystal, tossing it into her mouth like popcorn. A loud CRACKCRUNCH follows before she swallows. "Mmm. Try some. The crystal's imported from a particularly ancient Prime. It's had ages to really work up a good flavor."
* Muirfinn is much more interested in the water, tasting it. "Simply put, I have access to a truly ancient and massive library. I also have acess to magical tools and lore not seen in ages. I'd like to barter access to it in exchange for a favor."
> It's salted water. Not quite like seawater, the salt is finer than that. It's quite a bracing and refined taste. "Really?" CRACKCRUNCH! Another bit of crystal is devoured before she continues, "Excuse my skepticism, but you appear as little more than a wyrmling. Could you demonstrate something to provide weight to your words?"
<Muirfinn> OOC: How much room is here?
> OOC: Plenty. If you wanna expand you'd need to be a bit creative and move a bit, but you could do it.
* Muirfinn tastes the water again, rolling it around and swallowing. He smacks his beak together a bit, tongue rolling around in his mouth. "The water is quite nice. Better than you'd find in most places. Most times when you ask for salted water, they either hand you sea water or water with refined salt. Sea water is often overly briny, and water with refined salt tastes bland and stale. This is
* Muirfinn indeed very fine." He stands, pushing his chair in and stepping off to the side. "As for my credentials..." His greenish form twists like water flowing down a drain, spinning and becoming shapeless as he expands wildly. His form arcs up toward the high ceiling, forming a thick and powerful neck. The other end forms into a powerful and sinuous tail which swings lazily over the tables and heads
* Muirfinn of the other guests. Wings erupt from his back as a long fin sprouts along his spine. Four powerful legs come down around the tables in the area, disturbing them ever so slightly. Lastly, horns grow from a draconic head the size of a fine carriage as everything solidifies into burnished silver scales. Eyes of a great wyrm silver dragon's purest molten silver stare down at Sapphire with amusement.
* Muirfinn "Is this satisfactory, or do you require a test of ability as well?"
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> Sapphire stares up, unperturbed. Her eyebrows go up as she watches the entire transformation. Muirfinn overshadows the various crystalline exhibits, casting shadows over all around him. Your hostess bows her head and closes her eyes, "I ask your pardon, I did not expect you to have the ability to change your appearance to that degree." After just a moment to let that settle she smiles, the CRACKCRUNCH of another crystal following. "So you have access to an ancient library and lore. Can you elaborate on them?"
<Muirfinn> Abruptly, Muirfinn's form collapses down into tortle form again. "Moving around is easier when you're the same size as everything else." He takes a seat again. "The place is immesurably old; eons and eons. Older than some gods."
> Folding her hands in her lap after that and smiling, "Does this place have a name, sir?"
<Muirfinn> "Of course it does."
> "Very well," Sapphire rises. "Please enjoy your refreshments. A servant will be by periodically to attend to any needs you have. But I'm afraid I've reached a limit to how far I may speak for Mister Sisatar's interests. Another person will be along ot assist you soon, sir Muirfinn."
* Muirfinn nods. "As you wish. It's been a pleasure."
> "It has," Sapphire says, before slipping away and out of sight. Once gone you see Vivantha trying a little bit of meat carved to resemble a miniature house. The work is impeccable, worthy of a master artisan. Down it goes, Vivantha closing her eyes once it's in her mouth. "Mmmmmmmm. They have a wondrously skilled chef," she remarks, before going on. "I fear Sisatar wants us to expressly understand he is an important, wealthy man. He reminds me of the officials from the Lannark Imperium."
<Muirfinn> "All dragons are like that, I've found. It's not innately surprising. The Lannark's desire to conquer was the real problem."
> "We will endure, then," Vivantha remarks as you settle in. OOC: Going to do anything or just wait?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I get the feeling that chowing down on crystals won't be good for me in this form. I'll deign to sit and converse lightly with Vivantha.
> About an hour passes. It goes back and forth in light conversation without anything too important going on. Vivantha's relaying the latest stories and gossip. "I saw Jaela, Hanna and Mirajane going out a few days ago. I haven't heard what it was about, but I know they're back." As she continues, a woman comes to join you, taking Sapphire's spot. She has long white hair and a matching dress, both the color of newfallen snow. She is encrusted with diamond jewelry of breath-taking size and clarity. She is slinky, from a shiny dress to her natural grace. "I'm Diamond," she greets, "Welcome to the Silverbrow Consortium, Muirfinn and Vivantha. I hope you're enjoying our hospitality so far."
<Muirfinn> "Of course. Delightful place, really." Muirfinn gestures to the crystals.
> "Oh, I've lost hours watching crystal grow," Diamond smiles lightly, "But I'm afraid we don't have leisure for that today. I have some questions I'd like you to answer, Muirfinn."
<Muirfinn> "Go on."
> Vivantha nods slightly, watching Diamond.
> "Firstly, is this an official visit from Aurora," she asks, her smile growing ever so slightly, "Or is it a personal initiative?"
<Muirfinn> "The latter, of course. Though if possible, I'd very much like to improve the relations betwixt Aurora and the majority of dragonkind." Muirfinn says.
> "I understand," she says slowly, "The Silverbrow Consortium takes no position in regards to Aurora, Bahamut and Tiamat. It is best to understand that we are not metallic or chromatic dragons and have no prohibitive attachments to either side." Pausing just a moment after that, as if reviewing her next words, her eyes meeting Muirfinn's, "Our only interests are Mister Sisatar's interests. Secondly, what are your interests here and how do they align with Mister Sisatar's interests?"
<Muirfinn> "Would you like the short or long version?"
> "The long version," Diamond replies, "Please, we have all the time we need."
<Muirfinn> "Well, it started recently when we went and decided that we were going to seek out a long-lost treasure from the depths of Nidavelir(SP?) underneath the fields of Ysgard. While there, we encountered an ancient marilith by the name of Kina-ja. After a long fight, she fled into...somewhare. We originally thought it was the Far Realm, but alas we were wrong. Syala summoned the two of us to her
<Muirfinn> realm where she informed us that she would like to enlist our aid in hunting Kina-ja down. We agreed, and came here to start our search. An overly-chatty mercane told us that he knows someone who knows some information about Kina-ja, but would not dispense with it unless we aided him in establishing contact with Sisatar in order to do business. When I learned that it was with the Silverbrow
<Muirfinn> Consortium, I was intrigued. As you may or may not be aware, your lot helped me locate the Aurora some time back. Knowing what I know now about Aurora's unfortunate feud with Bahamut and his aligned dragons, I thought that perhaps I could do a bit of diplomacy here and see if we could be of mutual benefit to each other."
> Diamond closes her eyes as she listens. She's silent through the end, expression becoming disturbed. "I see. This situation is an interesting opportunity," Her eyes open again, calm. A smile banishes her disturbment, "It seems the Silverbrow Consortium's involvement in this matter is tangential at best. But you did mention diplomacy, could you elaborate on that?"
<Muirfinn> "It is quite an opportunity. Simply put, mercane aside, I do firmly believe that the Aurora could benefit significantly from an alliance with proper dragons. I'd thought that perhaps an open house to those of significant stature could come and view what we are accomplishing as well as the knowledge and magic we have to offer."
> "To be clear," Diamond stops Muirfinn there, "Are you offering gem dragons an alliance with Aurora, or the Silverbrow Consortium, or is your meaning otherwise?"
<Muirfinn> "Do you represent gem dragons as a whole?" Muirfinn fires back.
> "We do not," Diamond explains, "I was about to make the same point, so there are not misunderstandings. The Silverbrow Consortium is an independent consortium. We have familial and trading ties to our kin, but we are outside of direct organization. In all truth, there is no great, single organization of gem dragons. Barring exceptional circumstances, there is no one who can speak wholly for us."
* Muirfinn nods. "I quite expected as much. I am by no means surprised, either. Gem dragons are often apart from their more common metallic or chromatic kin. It's quite refreshing." He sips at the water before him. "No, I'd rather do business with a known entity. I've dealt with your organization before, and have no reason to doubt that we could both profit from this."
> "I understand," Diamond says thoughtfully, "It is not the business of the Silverbrow Consortium to enter into war. If you are looking for partners in slaying devils and their thralls, I suggest you look to others. If you are interested in a different relationship, now..."
<Muirfinn> "I expected as much, and would not have asked it of you. I'm more looking at a permanent source of information on current events and other things, I see no reason why we cannot accommodate the Silverbrow Consortium as an on-site contractor. In return, we could provide you with up-to-date information on things we discover, as well as access to our library."
> "That is not an unreasonable request. Information is something we trade in," Diamond demurs, "Would you come with me," she asks, standing.
* Muirfinn stands as well, helping Vivantha out of her chair. "Of course."
> Vivantha smiles warmly to Muirfinn as she rises. "Thank you," she murmurs. Once risen, Diamond leads the way. You step around a large crystalline exhibit. When you do, reality blurs and you now stand in a long, narrow hall. Both walls are alive with murals, ones that are re-enacting dragon battles. You can see wyrms clashing in the air, wyrmlings grappling over a bag of gold. A brass dragon standing against a legion of barbazu is another, then a chromatic dragon facing against an eye tyrant. Far ahead is a door, Diamond leading the way.
* Muirfinn makes appreciative noises at the murals and chuckles at the whelplings.
> Vivantha falls behind, watching the battles rather closely. Meanwhile, "Sir Sisatar has an eye for the arts. He's quite the patron of artists, in Brightwater and beyond. This is History of Dragonkind, showing struggles from across the spectrum of draconic experiences."
* Muirfinn nods. "It's quite impressive."
> "The art is lifelike," Vivantha says agreeably, a bit of wonder as she scurries to catch up.
> "You'll have some time to study it," Diamond says, as you reach the door. "Please wait out here. It shouldn't be long."
* Muirfinn nods. "Thank you."
> Diamond slips in through the doors and out of sight, closing them behind herself. The doors are tall and magificent, the murals wrapping around and continuing on them. You watch a red and silver dragon do war as Vivantha catches up. "Marvelous," she murmurs, "But I fear the resources could have been used better than on vanity projects."
<Muirfinn> "Perhaps." Muirfinn replies, "Or perhaps he simply has a vast abundance of resources. There is only so much that can be done by throwing resources at a problem."
> "Still, I can think there are surely better things to do with wealth than this," Vivantha replies, watching the two dragons duel.
<Muirfinn> "Oh so can I. Off the top of my head I can think of several improvements to the Aurora, and there is always charitable donation."
> With a nod Vivantha goes quiet, the two peacefully passing the time. It's perhaps five minutes before Diamond exits once more, "Mister Sisatar will see you now," she says.
<Muirfinn> "Ah, thank you." Muirfinn says, taking Vivantha's hand. "We are ready."
> Vivantha squeezes Muirfinn's hand as Diamond opens the door for you. Ahead is a spacious office. The floors are polished, smooth stone. It's a rich white color with veins of purple running throughout it. There is an imposing desk and no other furniture, a massive thing seemingly made from a single block of wood. But you can barely see that. You can barely focus on that. The entire back wall is a window. You can see you are on the highest level of the Silverbrow Consortium. Above the sky glitters gold. In it you see tens...no, hundreds...no...thousands! Tens of thousands! Thousands of thousands! Countless images of wealth. Each one sears a story into your mind for a split second, yet is washed away to the last by the next. A man who inherits from his cousin. A woman who wins a lotter and obtains great wealth. Another who has in invention that brings about a new age of bronze, making him fantastically wealthy. The barrage is massive. To the side a composed, slightly wet voice narrates, "Windfall after windfall. It's said that every bit of good fortune and prosperity is inspired by Tymora and Waukeen sends it forth from her treasury."
<Muirfinn> "Fascinating," Muirfinn marvels. "You can almost see it happening as you look at it."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> The creature that speaks is garbed in purple. He is humanoid-esque, his body garbed in rich royal purple cape, tunic and pants. His skin is a slightly darker shade of purple and scaled. Yet the scales have an oddly wet look to them, moving fluidly when he moves. His arms are crossed as he looks to you. Atop his head rests a circlet of silver with a large purple gemstone set between his eyes. "It's a priviledge reserved for those in Waukeen's personal good graces. Few others are allowed to see it." In a moment the fellow is gone, now sitting behind the desk with hands loosely steepled before his mouth. "You seem to want my attention. You have it for now."
<Muirfinn> "Sisatar, I presume?" Muirfinn sats, stepping up to the desk.
> The desk is undecorated, seemingly little more than a prop before the majesty outside. "Yes," Sisatar replies, "Time is money and I'm investing a little bit of time into you. Don't make me regret that investment. Speak."
* Muirfinn nods. "I am Muirfinn of the Aurora, formerly the demiplane called Medicant. It is within my capacity to make an offer with you, a trade. In return for allowing access to the libraries of Aurora and a permanent neutral hub on the Aurora, I'd like to negotiate two things. Firstly, aid in acquiring information on whatever we are currently working on if it is within your capacity to give
* Muirfinn it, and your aid in my current task. I seek information on Kina-ja, an ancient marilith. My companion and I recently had a run-in with her on Ysgard and forced her to flee. We have since been contracted by Syala to hunt her down. A mercane here in Brightwater knows someone who would know her location, but he wants me to get you to give him the time of day. What say you?"
> The man's face is hidden by his hands, eyes impenetrable. He listens throughout with nary a comment until the end. "What do you want to do with Kina-ja?" he asks after.
<Muirfinn> "Put her down, of course. She's a demon, and mad besides. I shudder to think of what could have occurred if some other hapless group of adventurers had come across her." Muirfinn says.
> "What is Syala's business in this affair? I have not heard much about her investmetns lately," Sisatar replies.
<Muirfinn> "She has vowed revenge for the offenses that Kina-ja has committed against Sharess."
> "Hm." The only reply is a wet sound, the scaly skin of his face moving like the surface of a stirred drink. "I would propose this. We offer aid against Kina-ja in exchange for information from you to be determined. Pending on how this goes, a more comprehensive agreement can be revisited at a later time. Dealing with this mercane can be agreed to as well." With a slight chuckle, "They are all the same."
<Muirfinn> "I am leery to agree to such a nebulous, blanket bargain. As I'm certain you can understand. I am worried that such an agreement could be used against us, our allies, or other non-devil aligned refugees of Lifasa." Muirfinn sighs.
> "I prefer to stick to the spirit of an agreement rather than the letter. I'm sure you've seen how devils can dicker with the lettering of any agreement. Keeping them vague allows us to act in our interests, rather than on technicalities. If you're not willing to extend me that trust and vice versa, there's little point in continuing this negotiation."
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+26 Sense Motive
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+26 Sense Motive and gets 44." [1d20=18]
> Fudge. He's good. Really good. But he's not hiding his intent at all and you get the impression he's being serious. As you consider, "There's no profit in offending the heritors of Medi's legacy," he continues, "Nor is there any profit in betraying me. WE can both doubtless enact effective reprisals in the event of betrayal, so there is little point even contemplating it in the first place. There is no profit in it."
* Muirfinn tilts his head, blue eyes shifting in watery flows as he ponders a moment. At last, he nods. "Forgive my reticience. I have grown unpleasantly used to devils and their trickery. I will accept your agreement, with further structure to be settled at another date in the near future."
> "It is agreed. For this first transaction, I wish for information on the fiend Sammael. Are you personally familiar with him?" Sisatar asks. OOC: You can make K:P there if you wish.
<Muirfinn> roll 1D20+22
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1D20+22 and gets Error: Numeric values only."
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 37." [1d20=15]
> Sammael is the former Lord of the Seventh. He was overthrown by Beezlebub. He is known as a vicious, poisonous creature that escaped Hell and the wrath of Asmodeus. This happened uncountable eons ago. You aren't sure what happened to him after that, but he survived.
<Muirfinn> "Vaguely. Nothing specific."
> A slight nod to that, "It has come to my attention he may have certain...investments. Investments I have an interest in. I seek more knowledge about him," Sisatar answers, staying still. Behind him great windfalls continue to rain, a golden spectacle just beyond your negotiations. "Is this acceptable?"
* Muirfinn nods. "What's your timeline on this? Is it something that can be done after we leave Brightwater, or do you need it now, before we move onto working on information agains Kina-ja?"
> "I'll need a little bit to deal with the mercane," he says, "Take Diamond to Aurora as a guest. She can stay there while the information is researched. In the meantime, you can return here tomorrow and the mercane will be cooperative. As for information on Kina-ja, it will take some time, as I imagine Aurora's own research on Sammael will."
* Muirfinn nods. "I'll check the library, see what can be found."
> Sisatar rises here, appearing next to you. His face has a slight smile as he offers his hand out. "I find these terms acceptable."
* Muirfinn clasps the hand in turn, smiling in turn. "As do I."
> His grip is strong, unnaturally so. "Return tomorrow. The girls downstairs will be expecting you. We'll have to get together to talk sometime, but I'm unfortunately out of time right now."
<Muirfinn> "It's amazing how limiting time is, even when you're immortal." Muirfinn nods.
> From there, you depart back and Diamond leads you back to the ground floor. One teleport takes yo uthere, the white haired woman falling in step with Muirfinn. "I understand I'll be going to Aurora with you," she says. Vivantha's still quiet, having kept her peace during your negotiations with Sisatar.
<Muirfinn> "That is correct. We will set you up with a suite once we arrive. Are you in need of any particular services?"
> "I'll be fine, thank you," Diamond says as you walk back outside. The streets are a bit busier, people dressed of wealth and taste hurrying about.
* Muirfinn nods, turning to Vivantha. "Vivantha, was there anything you would like to do before we leave?"
> "As of now, no. This visit has been interesting," she admits, "But my personal business can wait. Stopping Kina-ja comes first, brave hero."
> Though she pauses and smiles, "Even if your draconic menacing didn't terrorize a village, it was still effective."
* Muirfinn nods, smiling. "I'd never terrorize a village. Far too crass. I try to shoot for polite intimidation."
Session Time: Sat Sep 07 00:00:00 2013
> "The problem with terrorizing a village is that inevitably someone tries to be a hero," Diamond agrees, "No matter how good a reason there is for it. What's worse is when it's someone prepared enough to get lucky."
<Muirfinn> "I tend to limit myself to terrorizing groups of devils. Life is easier."
> OOC: What's your plan now? Head back to Aurora, get Diamond set up and rest for a night?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yep. That and spend some time with V. She seems quiet, and that's usually bad.
> Getting Diamond set up is without incident. She takes Aurora in with calm reserve, soon introduced to Tepen and Vul'lath. Vivantha keeps her quiet as you walk away, "Hm?" she glances at Muirfinn, "Brave hero, do you have any other business to do? I had assumed we were finished for the day."
<Muirfinn> "I've no other business. I thought we could simply spend some time together. It's been quite a tumultous few weeks and we've not had any real time to relax."
> "Mm." Vivantha quietly considers, before starting to smile, "How about we go flying out in Air?"
<Muirfinn> "A lovely idea." Muirfinn says, offering his arm. "Shall we?"
> Thus you go out! Arm in arm the two take to Air, Vivantha smiling. She seems happy, but at the same time she's quiet. She flies a little ahead of Muirfinn, gazing ahead and seemingly lost in her own thoughts.
* Muirfinn pulls up alongside her. "What's on your mind? You've been quiet today."
> This draws a nod from Vivantha. She flies on a little more before she answers, "I'm not used to that level of opulence," she admits, "That sort of meaningless, intimidating wealth. I felt as if the entire Consortium was a song of praise to Sisatar's own prosperity.:
<Muirfinn> "Ah, yes. It gets to the point where even counting it is pointless, and hoarding it is senseless. Dragons work that way, though. Piles on piles of opulence to declare to any who can see the level of their greatness. Perhapse that's how Sisatar sees the Consortium. I see it as an asset to the Aurora, though. Not for the physical wealth itself. Any wealth you can't actually use might as well be
<Muirfinn> made of lead. I see the information that can come from them as much more valuable. That, and perhaps they can be used to clear the air between the Aurora and Bahamut's brood." Muirfinn says. "That said, I do much agree with you."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> "He may be useful, but..." Vivantha pauses in her flight, turning to Muirfinn. "I've learned mortals often work for years for wealth we consider negiligable. Is that how he sees us from his lofty perch of wealth? Yet at least ours serves meaning, every coin used to strengthen Aurora is a blow against Hell and evil."
<Muirfinn> "Perhaps it is how he sees us. If so, he is poorer for it. He has wealth for the sake of it. I plan to flex him like a muscle. I will use our true wealth like bait in a trap, and he will use his wealth to aid us in his own way. All that glitters is not gold, after all."
> "That's what we'll do. We'll visit that mercane tomorrow," Vivantha snaps her fingers, "Ah, what was his name? Jemele. That was it. Do you think Glitterosm can help us?"
<Muirfinn> "I hope so." Muirfinn says.
> "I've heard stories of a shopkeep that sells things you lost and wears the faces of the departed," Vivantha adds after you fly a little further. "It reminds me a little of Glitterosm, for it is said his shop moves across all of Creation."
<Muirfinn> "That...sounds rather maudlin. Do you think you;d have anything there?"
> "Mmm. I have a ribbon I lost ages ago," Vivantha's hand goes to her hair, her eyes half closing. "It fell off when I was fleeing from a wandering monster in the Infinite Stair. I never found it. It was a gift from a close friend, I'd like to think I'd find it there. What of you?"
* Muirfinn ponders a moment. "Well, I don't know. Let me think." Muirfinn cocks his head to one side, eyes shifting as he thinks. "I'd like to hope that my son's sash would be there. He was the chieftain of his tribe."
> Vivantha gently lays a hand on Muirfinn's shoulder, "Was it Hell's conquest of Aurora?" she asks, voice gentle.
<Muirfinn> ooc: wHAT?
> OOC: Lifasa, gah. Typo.
<Muirfinn> "Of a sort. My sons were lost to me in the madness of flight from Lifasa."
> "Have you ever asked an augury to see if they yet live?" Vivantha asks.
<Muirfinn> "I've looked before, but I have not come scross them in my travels, nor were they to be found with the refugees." Muirfinn shakes his head.
> "What of magic?" Vivantha asks again, "If they are alive, shouldn't you know?"
* Muirfinn pauses. "You know, I'd never thought to try that."
> This draws Vivantha to stop. She stops, blinks and laughs. It's a joyous sound, carefree. "Oh! Brave hero, I'm sorry, but the arch-druid didn't think to use magic?" Soon she controls herself, still smiling. "We could impose on Balyss again."
* Muirfinn snorts. "Yes, I am forgetful sometimes. I'm sure that Balyss would be pleased to aid us."
> "Let's go," Vivantha says, smiling all the while. OOC: Skip ahead to that then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Sure
> The two find Balyss at her duties. She's sitting next to a distressed young woman - a vaguely familiar face, one of the refugees from the Burning Aeropolis, you think. On the woman's other side is Stille. Balyss is holding the woman's hand and whispering gently while Stille speaks, "...and there's nothing to be afraid of. It's only natural. Imagine the new moon to the full moon. Selune understands."
* Muirfinn blinks. "Is this a bad time?"
> Stille pats the woman's hand and partsa way, guiding the two of you back and out of earshot. He quietly says, "It's a joyous occasion, but we're at work," he explains. "What do you need?"
<Muirfinn> "I was hoping for some divination work, but it's waited this long. It can wait a bit longer."
> "I can help," Stille offers lightly, guiding you away further. Once well away from Balyss and her work, "Well well, what do you need divined?"
<Muirfinn> "Well, we were hoping that you could divine the location of my missing sons. They've been lost to me since the fall of Lifasa."
> "Of course." Stille nods, "Do you have any posessions or things linked to them? What are their names, place of birth and so on?"
<Muirfinn> "I have no possessions, but they were all born on the southern beaches of Lifasa. My I had three surviving sons when the devils came. Hahn was the oldest. He founded his own tribe and drew many others to him. He was wise and patient. Geru was the second of my living sons. He was brash and full of life. Tryll was the youngest of all my sons, and aspired to be like me in most things. Does that
<Muirfinn> help?"
> "It will do," Stille replies, "It will take time and divinations, but I will ask the Moonmaiden to illuminate the truth. Go rest. I will come to you tonight with more information as the divinations warrant."
* Muirfinn nods. "You have my thanks."
> OOC: Skip along a little more then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Gogo go
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> OOC: Last time I asked if you were ready to skip along. Are you?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yesd
> Several unremarkable hours pass. Muirfinn meditates and then settles into his room to study. It's disturbed at long last by Elena appearing. She's dressed up like Ithea today, down to little cat-ears attached to her head. "Muirfinn, Stille would like you to come down now," she announces.
* Muirfinn stands, nodding. OOC: Vivantha here or no?
> OOC: She's off doing her own thing at the moment.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Alrighty.
* Muirfinn heads down toward the Temple of the Moon.
> You find Stille waiting for you there. "Muirfinn. Come in," Stille greets, the temple otherwise empty. His face is composed and calm, betraying little on the surface. "Sit down."
* Muirfinn takes a seat. "What have you found?"
> "I was granted a vision," Stille explains, "In it, I saw Selune at full illumination. She slowly faded back until she was naught but the new moon. A vision of a new moon and the moon fading can mean different things. It can mean regression to a previous state. Reincarnation or rebirth is another popular interpretation. It can symbolize things hidden away, lost or stolen. It can also signify death." Stille doesn't pause here, "Balyss and I talked it over. Regression isn't likely and doesn't fit a logical meaning. Rebirth..." Here he shakes his head. "It could symbolize submission to Baator. It could also mean that they've passed onto what lies beyond. Selune was not direct with her answer," Stille continues, "Balyss is casting her own divination as well, but the fact that you should be in her graces suggests that an unclear answer means that the truth is not fully known. If they are dead and they passed normally, they would be in the hands of your goddess? Did they all follow the same faith as you? If Balyss does not return more conclusive information, I would recommend casting your own augury or making your own inquiries."
* Muirfinn shakes his head sharply. "My sons would not break easily. I know that they fought claw for claw against the devil invaders, but were lost to me in the mad scramble for flight. My sons followed either Brother Shell or Father Earth. If they had died, they would likely be found in their realms. I'll admit that I did not initially seek them out due to dread. I feared greatly that they may
* Muirfinn still be alive, but in devil clutches. I suppose it is cowardly of me not to seek them out, but I could not bear the thought. Now...now I feel as if I MUST know. If they suffer in infernal hands, they must be freed."
> "I understand," Stille reaches out and clasps Muirfinn's shoulder, "Dear Balyss and I have a few more ideas of our own. They aren't conclusive ones, but they may bear fruit.":
* Muirfinn nods, "You have my thanks. I must think on this."
> "We'll be in touch in the morning. I understand you're returning to Brightwater tomorrow?" Stille returns that nod with a faint smile, "Stop by before you go."
<Muirfinn> "I will."
> OOC: Skip along then? Are you bringing anyone with you to Brightwater round 2?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Ready to move along. I'll bring V again. Charisma powerhouses are rarely unwelcome
> OOC: Right. Lining then.
> The morning brings reunion with Vivantha. The two of you head to meet Stille. Balyss is also there, the siblings in light conversation when you arrive. A few of the faithful are around, but it's fairly quiet right now. There's a sense of peacefulness here, the noise from outside not quite penetrating in. "Muirfinn," Stille greets, "Good morning."
<Muirfinn> "And to you. Ready to head back?"
> "We have information first," Stille interjects.
> "I started with trying a sending to each of your children. Nothing. That doesn't mean anything, as sending can be blocked several ways as well as by being off-plane." Balyss says. "I also tried scrying them, but with what I had it was a longshot even if you presuppose they're alive. That I failed doesn't say much."
* Muirfinn nods. "I will put the word out amongst my people, and attempt to gain information from the Mother Ocean as well. The four gods of the tortle are well known for assisting one another and having strong ties."
> "Good luck," Balyss says, "Selune will illuminate the right path at the right time."
> "Speaking of paths," Stille smoothly interjects, "If you're heading to Brightwater, can I go with you? I have something I need to pick up there."
<Muirfinn> "Of course."
> With that the three head out. As you walk towards the gates, "Be strong, brave hero," Vivantha murmurs.
<Muirfinn> "I will be fine. It has waited this long. No amount of fretting will bring answers sooner."
> Thus you head out! A Gate spell returns you to Brightwater! As you find yourselves marveling at the wealth one more, Stille inclines his head, "Thank you. I have my own transportation home. I hope you find what you seek here."
* Muirfinn nods, giving him a wave. "Good fortune to you, Stille."
> OOC: Going to go find Jemele now?
<Muirfinn> OOC: That's the Mercane, right? It sounds right.
> OOC: Correct.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Let's go then
> You find Jemele's stand as it was before. The Mercane is smiling ear to ear, standing out amid the strange chicken-heads. "My friends!" he greets both of you warmly, "Oh, my dearest friends!"
<Muirfinn> "Hello." Muirfinn says, peering about the stall once again. "We've returned." Redundancy!
> Vivantha is smiling as she looks it over, "You sound pleased."
> "Oh yes, you've returned, my friends!" Reaching out to clasp Muirfinn's shoulder! "Oh, your word is as good as gold! Pure gold!"
<Muirfinn> "Indeed. We did what we could. And your end of the bargain...?"
> "What you'll need to do is this," Jemele explains, "Go to Platinum Avenue. Get a handful of gold coins, about 20 is a good number. There's a fountain at a four way intersection on the street. Toss the coins in and then head down Silver Street. You should see an alley that doesn't really fit on your right. Go down it. You'll find the shop there."
* Muirfinn raises a scaly eyebrow. "Really."
> "Really, my friend. Trust me," Jemele goes on, "It will work. If it doesn't, come here and I'll refund you the coins you threw in."
> Vivantha hums, "This seems rather...brave hero, I struggle to find the right word. Suspicious isn't quite right, since it is possible. Just..."
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+26 sense motive
<Muirfinn> OOC: ER MAH GERD
> OOC: Ah fuck, Hatbot's dead. Gimme a moment.
* Kobot (~dunefar@ip68-96-9-49.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #dunes
> OOC: Go for it.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+26 sense motive
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+26 sense motive --> [ 1d20=20 ]{46}
> Muirfinn is fairly sure the Mercane is telling the truth. He just doesn't seem to be lying.
<Muirfinn> "It seems unlikely, but we'll give it a try." Muirfinn says slowly.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> "You won't regret it," Jemele insists, "Glitterosm will help you. After all, your word is as good as gold, and he likes gold."
<Muirfinn> "Most people do." Muirfinn says drily.
> OOC: Going to go actually try this, Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Might as well! Worst case scenario, I feel silly and go drag a Mercane back to his little Clique at their bank demiplane.
> Platinum Avenue is bustling. The streets are the color of that wondrously valuable metal, or perhaps even made of it. It shines brightly beneath your feet as you wander the crowds. This street is full of expensive looking shops advertising exotic wares from all over Creation. People come and go. Some window shop, others go to and fro and others yet look to be selling things. Nonetheless you reach the fountain. It is made of polished stone the color of gold. A dizzying array of platforms go from top ot the bottom basin, dozens of mini-waterfalls delivering water to the fountain's basin. Going to the basin, you see that it is clear and deep, far deeper than the street. It's full of exotic, colorful fish.
* Muirfinn pulls a handful of coins out of his pouch and, feeling a bit ludicrous, throws them in!
> Vivantha lets her eyes roam as you go, peering down into the fountain when you get to it. "What pretty fish," she murmurs, "I wonder if they hoard gold tossed within? Everything here seems to be avaricious as dragons."
> The coins fall in! Plunk-plunk-plunk! They fall in! Deeper and deeper down they go until they're out of sight. "We go down Silver Street now and look for an alley on the right."
* Muirfinn nods. "Well, there are dragon turtles. Why not dragon fish?"
> As you start to head down Silver Street - the street is the slightly different color of silver, rather than platinum - Vivantha shakes her head, "That would imply a dragon and a fish..." She scrunches up her face. Meanwhile? On the right you see a dingy little alley between two rich buildings. It looks wholly out of place. It's dark, covered in shadows and barely big enough for you to walk down.
<Muirfinn> "You've seen the Lannark. They're likely all half-dragons. Dragons have odd whims when it comes to mates." Muirfinn says, motioning toward the alley. "That's rather obvious."
> "It is," Vivantha says. The people going by don't even seem to glance at it. "I suppose we'll find out soon the truth of it."
* Muirfinn heads in!
> The alley is indeed narrow. It's dark but clean. It seems abandoned more than anything else, empty of everything. At the far end you see a dead end wall with a door. The door's utterly unremarkable. To your true-seeing enhanced eyes, it is a door, a portal, an archway, a stone slab, a conflux of places all togethe rand blending together.
<Muirfinn> "Well. That's an unpleasant sight." Muirfinn says, removing his spectacles and rubbing his eyes. "It's some sort of gateway or portal, or something more. True Seeing just makes looking at it confusing."
> "How strange that such an odd tale would be true. Not that stranger things are not, but Jemele hardly seemed trustworthy," Vivantha admits, heading to the door. "I had thought us deceived."
<Muirfinn> "I'll admit that I half expected to have to go hunt him down."
> Vivantha nods, "As was I." As the two of you talk and dither, the door ahead smoothly pops ajar.
* Muirfinn cathes the handle as it pops open. "It seems we are expected. Let's not keep them waiting."
> Within you see a small circular entrance, with a grand mural on the ground. It seems to be an artistic rendering of the planes in a great circle. It shows everything you know in fine detail and grand beauty. Beyond it are clusters of three bookshelves each, dotted about in erratic patterns. Light comes from above, sets of seven spheres of light rotating around to provide illumination. Approaching you is a man. He is dark skinned, bald and wears a short-sleeved robe. Every inch of his flesh - even his eyelids - are tattooed with numbers. He walks forward with his hands behind his back, a steady gait as he meets Muirfinn's eyes. "A new customer."
<Muirfinn> OOC: Is there any way I would recognize who or what he is?
> OOC: K:A check.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+23
* Kobot (~dunefar@ip68-96-9-49.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #dunes
<Kobot> OOC: Roll.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+23
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+23 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{31}
> The man before you is a numerologist. They are spellcasters who use the power of numbers to gain enlightenment. They are neutral and try to place themselves above law, chaos, good and evil.
<Muirfinn> "A numerologist! A man of logic. It is a pleasure to meet you, good sir. I am Muirfinn." He bows. "This is my partner, Vivantha."
> Vivantha politely smiles and inclines her head forward, "Fair greetings," she virtually sings, voice a lyrical thrill.
> "You know who I am, for you found my shop," Glitterosm says as he stops just before you. "What do you seek?"
<Muirfinn> "Information on Kina-ja's current and future physical location."
<Muirfinn> "As well as information on a way to permanently slay her."
> The lights above dim and the seventh sphere vanishes from sight. Six dim orbs rotates above as Glitterosm replies, "A moment," he says, as swirling green numbers rise up from the ground. They surround him like a blur, six and three predoninant. "The weight of Kina-ja's spirit is heavy. Knowledge of her is worth her weight in windfalls, dreams and hope. Understand that this will be expensive."
* Muirfinn nods. "The very nature of the thing is rarely so easy or cheap."
> "Indeed. It will be one hundred and eighty thousand gold," he says after, "Will you buy this?"
* Muirfinn makes a face. "I have but sixty thousand on my person. I know that I can acquire more in short order, but it will not be immediate."
> "Return when you have it," Glitterosm bids, "Then we will do business."
* Muirfinn nods, turning to Vivantha. "Worst case, we could just ask Syala for some gold. I'm sure she'd be willing to part with it to see this done."
> "Mmm," Vivantha murmurs, and lowering her voice, "Do you have a plan?"
<Muirfinn> "
<Muirfinn> "I'll probably just borrow the money from the Aurora fund." Muirfinn replies in like fashion. "This is really what it's there for."
> Vivantha nods to that. "Thank you," She turns to Glitterosm, nodding again to him.
* Merc is now known as Merc-zzz
> "Return when you are able," Glitterosm says, eyeing both Muirfinn and Vivantha.
* Muirfinn nods, heading out.
> OOC: What's your plan now, Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Head back to the Aurora, take out a loan for 120k, then come back.
> The return to Aurora is without incident. However, getting that much gold out isn't quite so easy. Namely, it involves talking to one of the Generals - Adrian, in this case. He's met in the meeting room, reclining back. He looks entirely casual, waving a hand. "I'm the only one in today," he announces, "So we can keep this informal. I heard you need enough gold to choke a whale."
<Muirfinn> "A small whale, to be sure."
> "Right," Adrian remarks, shaking his head. "Ahem." He pauses to clear his throat, speaking clearer after that. "Our reserves are high from recent activities and Medi's quarters," Adrian goes on, "But it's still a lot of money. What are you using it for?"
<Muirfinn> "Buying information on where to find and how to permenently kill Kina'ja, because Syala asked us for help."
> "Hm." Adrian's quiet again, kicked back, "Kina-ja..." He murmurs that, "Oh, that one. Another demon?" He shrugs, "As long as you pay it back, I don't see why not. I'm coming with you, though. I could use a good fight." He grins at that, taking out his skull mask. "I've been wanting to bring terror to some hapless fiends with this."
<Muirfinn> "If you like. You know I'm good for it. We'll likely recover that and more on this quest."
> Adrian stands and stretches, adjusting Gaelach before putting his helmet away. "Brightwater first?"
<Muirfinn> "Indeed. After you, good sir." Muirfinn gestures. After all, if you decide you want to frighten animals again, you get to lead the way."
> This draws a grin from Adrian, "I'm not going to wear it in Brightwater. Ithea would claw me and then Misalea would let me hear it," Chuckling as you step through a portal and head through the entry hall, "If you ever get married, don't walk around the house with a helmet like that on. Especially when your wife comes home not expecting it."
<Muirfinn> "Got kicked in the crotch, did you?"
> "That was unwise," Vivantha agrees, "That helmet is unsettling. Whyever were you wearing it around your home?"
> "She struck out at me in shock," Adrian admits, then his smile slips a littel bit, going into a half-scowl. "She sprained her wrist and cracked a fingerbone. The helmet's hard and she's not trained to fight unarmed." He banishes that with another smile, more restrained than the last. Truth be told, I was practicing how to intimidate. I had Mirima and Canderella over helping me. Well, Canderella, anyway. They'd just left before Misalea got home and I wasn't in any hurry to take the helmet off."
* Muirfinn snorts. "Shame she injured herself."
> OOC: Ready to move along?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Indeed
> roll 1d100
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=55 ]{55}
> roll 1d100
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=85 ]{85}
> You return to Brightwater. The three of you head for Silver Street, chatting lightly amid yourselves as you go. As you walk...OOC: Will save, Muirfinn. -10.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+31+6-10
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+31+6-10 --> [ 1d20=11 ]{38}
> Muirfinn feels a momentary chill, like a bug crawling up his back. It quickly fades.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50 spellcraft what the fuck was that
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+50 spellcraft what the fuck was that --> [ 1d20=1 ]{51}
> Muirfinn reckons it was a custom spell. It was reaching across from another plane to try and touch him. However, he was able to successfully fight it off.
* Muirfinn grumbles. "Someone just tried to hit me with a spell from off-plane. Irritating."
> Adrian shakes his head, "Happens to all of us," he remarks, "At least it wasn't followed by a portal spewing devils." He nonetheless stops and has a hand on Gaelach, gaze about. "Watch his back, Vivantha," he adds after, the songstress going to do exactly that.
* Muirfinn_ (Desktop@ip70-176-215-62.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #dunes
> Adrian shakes his head, "Happens to all of us," he remarks, "At least it wasn't followed by a portal spewing devils." He nonetheless stops and has a hand on Gaelach, gaze about. "Watch his back, Vivantha," he adds after, the songstress going to do exactly that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Muirfinn> "At least I keep my scales and shell shiny." Muirfinn turns to Adrian. "I don't know how you mammals get by with all that soft skin."
> "Practice, and I happen to like my wife's soft skin," Adrian banters back. The party gets some curious looks as they take a defensive formation, not that either seem to care. After several moments Adrian relaxes slightly, "Let's get moving. If they're suicidal enough to attack us in one of the Heavens, we may as well make them work for it."
<Muirfinn> "I got assaulted by the Father in Elysium." Muirfinn helpfully points out.
* KoFOOTBALL is now known as Kotono
> "Charming," Adrian grunts as the party goes along.
> Meanwhile Vivantha looks around, "Have faith. We are in the seat of several goddesses. I cannot imagine Hell would dare strike here. It would invite great retaliation."
<Muirfinn> "Oh no, Hell isn't crazy enough. I'm not worried about devils here in the least."
> "As if we don't have enough enemies," Adrian's retort is short, "So which way is it again?" OOC: Ready to move along to Glitterosm's?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes please!
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 90." [1d100=90]
> The trip back is without incident. You find Glitterosm awaiting, standing impassively within. As Adrian looks around and sounds a low whistle, "You come with the payment?" Glitterosm asks.
<Muirfinn> "We do." Muirfinn says, offing a large bag of gold.
> The bag of gold and other deeply precious things is passed over. As it is, "It is important that you state what you wish to know again," he says. "Tell me."
<Muirfinn> "I wish to know the current and future locations of Kina-ja, as well as a method of permanently killing her."
> Above you, six dim sphere rotate around. They form an erratic pattern that casts deep shadows all over, shadows that constantly move about in a patternless dance. The numbers of Glitterosm's body glow with the same time light, as a line of numbers blurs past his eyes. They go too fast to read most of them, blazing by as his eyes take them in. But as you watch, the numbers all become 6. Glitterosm's eyes widen as pure terror overlooks his face. The numbers go faster and faster, wrapping around his head! His eyes go pure black as the numbers keep him beholden. Then, the lights above fail. Absolute darkness overtakes you, darkvision failing to illuminate anything. Amid Vivantha's cry of surprise, you can hear Glitterosm's voice, full of terror and misery, "She hides in the 666th layer of the Abyss. But tu-" The lights return. Glitterosm falls to his knees, weeping silently.
> Adrian seems to have drawn Gaelach during the darkness, having it at the ready as he looks around. "You alright there?" he asks, keeping a distance from him, as his eyes search about.
* Muirfinn lunges for the man. "Hey! Can you hear me?"
> He looks up at stares at Muirfinn, "GET OUT!" His voice is a shout, full of sound and fury. "Take this cursed path and leave! Wiser yet, abandon this fool's quest! Never have I drawn three sixes together, never like this! NEVER!" He raises a shaking finger and points it right in Muirfinn's face, between his eyes. "I dread with all my soul what you travel towards."
> *and stares
> "Hell's worse than whatever that is," Adrian shrugs, "Last I checked, we have a Duke of Hell to our tally. By the time we're done with it, it'll dread us."
<Muirfinn> "Calm, my good man. Breathe." Muirfinn gently pats the man's arm. "We are stronger than we look, and I meant you no harm in this. Please relax. I apologize, I did not expect that to happen to you, nor would I want it to happen again."
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20 and gets 17." [1d20=17]
<Muirfinn> OOC: +40 diplo
<Muirfinn> OOC: Total of 57
> "Peace," Vivantha murmurs, coming forward and laying a hand on his other shoulder. Her voice is soothing, like the lulling sound of a mother's voice. OOC: Aiding for +2.
> Glitterosm shudders with all his body, as if alight with fever. "Waukeen preserve me and Savras guard my eyes," he groans, a head going to hold his hand. "I do not believe she will be impossible to kill. Kina-ja is merely a demon, a powerful one, but a demon. A cold iron weapon sanctified and of legendary power should suffice. Axiomatic blessings would be helpful as well. Otherwise, holy magic will wear away impure flesh."
* Muirfinn nods. "You have our thanks, and our sympathies. Is there anything I can do to alleviate your symptoms? I am something of a healer."
> "Unless you have strong drink, no." He manages to stand now, "The easy amnesia of the bottle will suffice to soften the edges of this, I pray."
> Adrian nods, starting to calm down again. He sheathes Gaelach before giving Muirfinn a nod. "Doesn't seem to be any more trouble around."
<Muirfinn> "If you have further trouble, please come seek me out on Air at the Aurora. My name is Muirfinn. This is Vivantha, and this is Adrian." Muirfinn gestures.
> "You'll be welcome there," Adrian adds, "Promise."
> "I will remember that," Glitterosm says. OOC: Ready to move along a bit now?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yep
> Soon the party is back out in the alley. Once out Vivantha hms, "The 666th layer of the Abyss," Vivantha speaks slowly, "It seems our path leads to calamity. Do we know anything about it?"
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+23 planes
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+23 planes and gets 42." [1d20=19]
> The 666th layer is surrounded in mystery and legends. Stories of it vary considerably. Every aspect of it is argued over - if it's the final layer, what it's about, who rules it and so on and so forth. The truth about it is elusive and Muirfinn knows enough to know he doesn't know the truth, or if he does, he can't tell which is the truth and which is not. He does know it's like 210, insofar as it is a layer you just can't plane shift to. Details of how to -get- to 666 vary as well, from story to story.
> roll 1d20+23 Adrian
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+23 Adrian and gets 24." [1d20=1]
> "I've heard stories," Adrian says, "But nothing solid about it that comes to mind."
* Muirfinn grumbles. "We should talk to Syala. She may have means of aiding us in this."
> "You know," Adrian says, slowly rubbing his temple, "It's bullshit when we find information and it strings us into a bigger mystery. It's like shaving by plucking out one hair at a time."
> "I thnk you're right, brave hero," Vivantha's voice is warm, "At the least she should know, and if she knows more, can aide us in return."
<Muirfinn> "Now you know what my life is like sometimes." Muirfinn says, poking Adrian in the stomach with a claw. "I am all too often handed the barest of mysteries. It is fortunate that most of the time I am up to the task of solving them.":
> With a roll of his eyes, "Give me a battle any day. Wouldn't you rather prefer a clear fight than nebulous information-gathering? Fortunate you're good at it. You and Tannin should work together more often."
<Muirfinn> "There's an idea. We've worked together before." Muirfinn nods. "And not everything can or hould be solved with fighting. Being able to fight is important, and like anything you do, you should be good at it. It's just not the end all be all."
Session Time: Fri Sep 27 00:00:00 2013
> "Don't I know it. I don't wince when I hear the world diplomacy, but only just," Adrian grimaces at the end of that, "I've gotten a lot better at it and it's still boring."
> "Diplomacy is preferred to violence when possible," Vivantha says, "War is a mistress that only brings heartbreak."
> "Yeah, tell that to Baator when you're on the end of their armies," Adrian grunts at that, glancing sidelong at Vivantha. "Fine. To hell with the costs. With fiends there should only be war."
<Muirfinn> "Well yes. The forces of Hell can be reasoned with, but it takes an agile and evil mind cto come out on top. The forces of the Abyss must simply be destroyed."
> "True. That we need war against them isn't a reason to forget and neglect diplomacy," Vivantha says, "That's all."
<Muirfinn> "I quite agree."
> "Yeah, I know that." Adrian goes to rest against the alley's wall a moment, sighing. "We wouldn't be where we are if we hadn't done our fair share of asskissing and diplomatic wrangling." He crosses his arms over his chest as he goes on. "You know, I originally thought I'd find Medicant by myself? That would've been something. I wouldn't have even known where to begin."
> "Food for thought," Vivantha finally says, "But things worked out. Still..." Back to Muirfinn, "Will we return to Sylica today?"
<Muirfinn> "We might as well. No sense in putting it off."
> OOC: What's your plan? Gate over there and get all chatty?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'm a big fan of the direct approach, so yes
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 78." [1d100=78]
> The trip to Sylica is uneventful ast raveling the Planes always are. To a master druid, it is a simple trip as a walk to the well is to a mortal. You soon meet Antenora in the same sitting room as you met Syala in. She is clad in armor and opal radiance, a polished fragment of celestial glory. She comes and sits opposite the trio, "What information do you have?"
<Muirfinn> "Nothing pleasant. She is holed up in the 666th layer of the Abyss."
> Antenora's eyes widen slightly at this news, "How certain of that are you?"
<Muirfinn> "Reasonably so. We had a numerologist divine the information. It looked...painful."
> "Lots of sixes when it happened," Adrian adds, "Six is the number of the Abyss, so that checked out."
> "We'll need independent verification," Antenora decides after some thought, "Not out of distrust of your service so far, but because one does not trifle with that layer of the Abyss lightly. Do you know anything about it?"
<Muirfinn> "Very little, besides the most common of knowledge."
> "Don't look too closely. Have you heard the saying that if you gaze in the Abyss, it will gaze back?" Antenora's expression is grave as she meets Muirfinn's eyes, "Never has it been truer than with that layer."
> "So that means that whatever is there is corruptive? Moreso than the standard Abyss?" Vivantha follows up with that, "Is it truly the wellspring from which all the Abyss rises from?"
* Muirfinn slaps his hand over his beak. "This is the Father all over again."
> Vivantha matches that slap over her mouth. "Is not one Abyssal horror enough?"
> "You are not precisely correct," Antenora says, "So directly attacking is not advised right now," she finally says, "We need time. In the meantime, I hear you're a passable dragon. Would you care to spread your wings?"
* Muirfinn blinks. "I see no harm in it."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> "Are you familiar with Pandemonium, and Pandesmos in particular?" Antenora asks.
<Muirfinn> "Not closely." Muirfinn admits.
> "A little bit," Vivantha says, "Mostly by reputation. The travelers that come to the Infinite Stair from it are memorable. Albeit in poor ways."
* Muirfinn snorts quietly.
> "It's a screaming madhouse," Antenora nods slightly, "Home to chaotic and vile trash from across Creation. Winds forever howl there and deafen all who visit. Another investigation we began regarding Kina-ja pointed towards it. There's a small town in one one of its rare doldrums named Madhouse. The residents there are a motley assortment of outcats from the tanar'ii, daemons and the mortal worlds. Unfortunately, they haven't given up any information to our agent. He believes someone who can make an intimidating impression may do better."
* Muirfinn raises a scaly eyebrow. "You want me to terrorize mad townsfolk for information?"
> "In so many words, yes." Antenora leans forward a little bit, looking Muirfinn in the eye, "Can you bring the fear of the heavens to the trash of Creation? Creatures so vile and bothersome that fiends cast them aside."
<Muirfinn> "Oh probably." Muirfinn says, nodding.
> "Then do so. Intimidate them, but try not to dispatch any until you find the information. Someone there knows something about Kina-ja, possibly more than one person." Antenora goes on at this, "You may find it difficult when you get there. It is a den of depravity for the sake of depravity. There are no justifications, no reasonings and no evasions. These creatures love sin for the sake of sinning."
<Muirfinn> "Very well, I can do this. Will I find your agent there?"
> "Yes. Information will be provided momentarily. First, make sure you're protected against the plane's effects. I'm sure you know the spell that does that. You'll want to have means of resisting windstorms and curing deafness on hand. Anything ot make you more intimidating would be excellent."
<Muirfinn> "I'm sure we can come across something."
> "Aurora's good at coming down like divine wrath," Adrian adds in cheerfully, "Shouldn't be a problem to intimidate some fiendish castoffs."
> "Madhouse isn't protected from intrusion, so a greater plane shift spell will get you there," Antenora continues from that, "Or nearby it without any problems."
* Muirfinn nods. "Should be simple enough. Probably." Muirfinn rubs his chin. "Best not to tempt fate, though."
> "So we should come in with a force strong enough that fate can't mess with us too much," Adrian remarks, "A full battleparty. We'll figure it out."
> "How you do it is up to you. When you're done, come back here and we'll discuss things further," Antenora replies. "Alicia's bravery will guide you should the fiends whisper into your heart."
<Muirfinn> "They are mad. They may respond to that with building a pyramid and placing us atop it, then pelting us with miniature pickled cucumbers."
> "What?" Adrian cocks his head to look at Muirfinn.
> "Cucumbers?" Antenora asks, staring a moment in surprised incomprehension.
* Muirfinn shrugs. "I tried to think of the weirdest thing I could."
> "Oh," Adrian suddenly laughs, "That was weird. Well," Standing, "We'll get on this." OOC: Ready to skip along a bit then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes
> The trip back to Aurora is without incident. Lunch is delivered to the conference room, the three sitting down a bit. "So. I'm the commanding officer here, but this is your mission." Adrian says after a mouthful of bread, vegetables, meat and cheese. "How are you going to handle this? I'll sign off on most anyone as long as you have a reason."
<Muirfinn> "Well, I had originally thought to just bathe the town in flames as a dragon and flush out everyone, but if you want to march in with an army we can do that instead. It'll take a bitr of coordination though."
> "Not an actual army," Adrian shakes his head, "It's not worth the trouble of mobilizing Aurora over a village. Besides, it's your mission," Gesturing as he goes for more food, eating before going on and waving his fork after, "When I said a battle party, I was thinking of a group of two to six of our elites. That sort of battle party."
> Vivantha picks at her own meal, "Mmm. Brave hero, I'll support you no matter what you choose. It sounds like a mission for warriors, not a songstress. I'll understand if you want someone stronger."
* Muirfinn nods reluctantly. "Yes, I believe this will be a show of raw might and intimidation. While you are indeed formidable, your talents are in general geared toward a more subtle area. I do, however, very much value your input. I welcome your opinion and would encourage you to stay." Muirfinn says, looking at Vivantha. "You were instrumental in the start of this, and I see no reason why that
* Muirfinn should change now, unless you wish to distance yourself from it."
> This draws out a radiant smile from Vivantha, as she meets Muirfinn's eyes with her own. Her voice is a lovely song as she replies, "Then I'll stay with you."
* Muirfinn returns the smile, and turns to Adrian with a grimmer look. The result is some sort of creepy half mad grinning toothless lizard thing. "We will want those intimidating. Large and imposing and strong. Remember that underneath every man, be he sinner or saint, fears something larger or stronger than himself. I think a giant or two will serve well. A shame that Willim fellow is not around.
* Muirfinn He'd be handy here. Thoughts?"
> Adrian takes his skull mask out and puts it on the table. "I agree." Resting his hands around it and going on, "Size is good for this sort of thing. Magic's a thing too, so having an obvious source would help, too. Anyone with sense fears powerful magic as much as giants."
<Muirfinn> "Doubly so if we can use that power to augment the giants."
> "Hmmm." Adrian sits back and idly spears a bit more meat, gesturing with it, "Which of our mages is good at augmentation? Preferably one that's naturally intimidating."
<Muirfinn> "Off the top of my head I am unsure. We could just ask?"
* Nephrite (~rscuderi@65.33.116.127) Quit (Quit: BRB)
> "Hanna fits," Adrian says after some thought, "She's large and a planetar, something that will further strike fear into evil. "Sylvie's fairly adaptable with her magic and can probably manage to be scary, but it's against the grain. Vul'lath's sour, don't know if he could turn that into intimidation. He's also not really focused on the sort of magic we want here. Off the top of my head." 
<Muirfinn> "I will admit to having nothing in my repertoire of spells geared toward causing fear."
> OOC: Quick OOC aside, do you have anyone in mind OOC-wise?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I actually don't. Ellese is sort of intimidating, but you really have to have a conversation with her first.
> OOC: Okay then, back to IC.
> "Well, we can figure that out," Adrian finally says. "How about we start with Hanna, go from there?"
> "Jaela's good at intimidation," Vivantha speaks up, "Is she available?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh, good point!"
> "No," Adrian frowns a little bit, "She's off on business and should be tied up awhile. Hanna just got back from the same thing, but Jaela's running longer."
<Muirfinn> "Hm." Muirfinn says, tapping his beak. "Well, we could take Baleruk. He can be intimidating."
> "That's a good idea!" Vivantha speaks up, "Why not two dragons instead of one?"
> "It's a good an idea as any," Adrian finally says, "If you can deal with Baleruk's personality."
<Muirfinn> "We get along well enough." Muirfinn says. "With any luck, this won't be a complete disaster."
> "Good luck with that," Adrian drawls, "Go talk to him about it, then. I'd command him, but you know how that will go over."
<Muirfinn> "Yeah, I don't think I can do that either, but I can try!" Muirfinn shakes his head. "Okay, so a handful of giants, Hanna, and Baleruk. Think that's enough, or should we have the lava slimes out too?"
> "Let's stick to that," Adrian finally says, "In case things go wrong, we want easy evacuation." He hms and looks up, half closing his eyes as he thinks. "I've been reading up on tactics and strategy lately. You know what most of it is about? Logistics. I've forgotten how many authors go on and on and on about how logistics are the key to winning a war. Logistics! On the planes when magic's involved, how fast you can get in and out is related to that. Sort of."
<Muirfinn> "I've been saying that for years." Muirfinn supplies helpfully.
> "Give me a stand up fight any day," Adrian grumbles. OOC: Who do yo uwant to tak to first, Hanna or Baleruk?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Hanna!
> Hanna is quickly summoned. She comes in, going to take a seat. "What do you need?"
<Muirfinn> "I'll cut it short. Would you like to go with myself, Adrian, a handful of giants, an as-yet-unnamed mage, and Baleruk to go terrorize a village of madmen in Pandemonium for information on Kina-ja for Syala?"
> "So I got back late last night, local time," Hanna begins, "I was mentally drained and wanted nothing more than to get a few hours of sleep. Not that I need to, but it's a good way to rest the mind. Anyway, I go to my room and just plop down on my bed. It's wonderful and I'm about to fall asleep when I realize that I haven't seen 27 yet. I don't know why I though tthat, but it got me to roll over and look up. He was perched on the ceiling of my room like a spider badger slaad. What's worse? Somehow he'd gotten his hands on treasure. Where he got it I have no idea, but it's not from Aurora. He said he wanted to help me." Clearing her throat after, "So yes, I'm more than ready to do something like that. It sounds nice!"
* Muirfinn snorts. "Did I tell you about the time I found him on my closet? He had half of my robe down his throat and still managed to let me know that my toast was going to be late."
<Muirfinn> "I don't even like toast."
> "You have no idea. Galariel and Elena are trying to figure out how he got into my room. He wasn't supposed to be able to." She pinches the bridge of her nose and sighs, "Tepen and Balyss are trying to divine where the hell that treasure came from and they're getting nothing."
<Muirfinn> "What was it?"
> "Gold, jewels and some minor magical items. He wanted to help me get equipped." Again Hanna sighs and shakes her head, "Balyss is starting to think he spontaneously created the treasure. We may have a 27 that can create wealth and subvert defenses seemingly at will."
<Muirfinn> "Well, it could be worse. He could start cooking."
> The look you get from Hanna is pure exasperation. "Anyway, I'm in."
<Muirfinn> "Fantastic. I'll let you know whether Baleruk actually decides to join us."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> After securing Hanna's help, Muirfinn goes to find Baleruk. He is in his lair, lying on a great pile of golden coins. Gems of all colors are dotted around him. Before him is Kascha, sitting cross-legged and focusing. An image dances in the air in front of Baleruk, a dancing, four armed rainbow doing war with what looks to be a white slaad with four heads. The dragon looks absorbed in the show, while Kascha's focus seems to be repeating an arcane chant.
* Muirfinn cocks his head slowly, staring at the display. He is overcome with an indescribble sense of fascinated weirdness.
> On they duel! The rainbow summons splinters of jagged rainbow lightning, wielding them like blades! They rip into the slaad, but do not wound it. Instead it becomes a rainbow of colors! The four heads then rise up, spewing a mess of acid, ice, fire and lightning at the rainbow, shattering it like glass. Then you can hear Kascha's voice narrated, "With the power of the rainbow his, Kurelab returned to his lair to plan future glories. But little did he know..." Farther away the image of a shadowy figure appears. "He had gained notice!"
<Muirfinn> Kurelab...Kurelab...oh. Yes. Baleruk. How cute. Muirfinn chuckles.
> "But that's a story for another day," Kascha narrates, the image fading away ino a field of rainbow colored motes. Once done Kascha ceases her chant and stands, "Was that sufficient?"
> "I was mildly entertained," Baleruk rumbles, his gaze turning to Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> "...what was that?" Muirfinn asks, curiosity overwhelming his sense of mental self-preservation.
> "It was a GLORIOUS SHOW OF THE POWER OF CHAOS AND PRISMATIC POWERS!" Baleruk roars, shaking his entire lair! He comes in close to Muirfinn, one big draconic eye as tall as he is. It stares at him unblinking, words like a hurricane-force wind spouting from his mouth. "I find it entertaining."
* Muirfinn clears his throat, unperturbed. "I see. Speaking of chaos, would you like to have some fun?"
> Out of the corner of your eye, you can see Kascha creeping away towards the exit. In the meanwhile, "Fun? Fun? Yes, I would like to have some fun. What kind of fun? Is it the kind where the fools SCARED OF MY POWER TREMBLE BEFORE ME?"
<Muirfinn> "Actually...yes."
> "Oh." Baleruk's voice lessens to a bearable din once more, "Continue. Describe this fun."
<Muirfinn> "Well, I'm looking for intimidating and terrifying individuals to go the the howling madness of Pandemonium to scare the daylights out of a bunch of evil villagers who have information for Syala. So really, we're going to terrorize an evil village for the forces of good. You're the largest individual I know, and easily the most intimidating. Our efforts may possibly attract powerful local
<Muirfinn> attention. In which case, it'll likely become a free-for-all. So, good times either way." Muirfinn bobs his head. "All loot not directly related to our search for information is fair game, barring inherently evil loot of course."
> "This is acceptable," Baleruk declares, "We will leave in three hours. You will prepare the proper gates for transport."
<Muirfinn> "Provided Hanna and the Giants are ready, I see no issues." Muirfinn nods.
<Muirfinn> OOC: I dunno why I capitalized 'giants'
> "Excellent. WE shall go!" Baleruk spreads his wings wide, taking to the air! OOC: Any further prep or anything?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Naah. I think we're probably good with rainbow dragon, Hanna, and the giants.
> OOC: Okay. More.
> Soon enough all parties gather at the gates. The giants are there, as is Adrian, Vivantha, Hanna and Baleruk. Baleruk impatiently flies in circles above the others. They're in discussion with each other, "Muirfinn," Hanna calls, "We're trying to plan out how we're going to do this."
* Muirfinn joins them. "What's the problem?"
> "Oh, just tossing ideas around," Adrian replies, "We have two dragons, a handful of giants and the rest of us."
<Muirfinn> "How's that complicated? Dragons go in, keep the people in the town, giants block the streets, and everyone else does the questioning."
> "Oh. See, there's a plan," Adrian jerks a thumb at Muirfinn. "I think we're good."
> OOC: So the big question: Where precisely are you opening the portal to?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Do we have a frame of reference on this place?
> OOC: Yeah. It's in a rare doldrum in Pandesmos. I'll PM you what she said.
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'll try for a mile out from that, just to give us a bit of breathing room. Would Attune Form grant resistance to the deafness caused by the plane?
> OOC:Yes.
<Muirfinn> OOC: That's covered then
> Wind. The howling of voices tears at Muirfinn as he steps out of the portal. A bitter-cold wind rips about, seeming to blow in all directions at once. The screaming wind is like voices, a constant litany of not quite understood words that leave Muirfinn numb. Hanna has her scythe out, the metal of it rippling like water. Adrian has his mask out and looks unperterbed by it all, while Vivantha looks around in sorrow. Baleruk merely ROARS, as if challenging the plane itself. You are in an icy cavern that seem sto stretch on forever in all directions, including up. It is pitch black here, darkvision allowing you to see. Far ahead you can see a vague blur of lights.
* Muirfinn whips out his wand, tapping each of the party in turn! OOC: Attune Form for all! Free healthcare!
> The giants rumble thanks, as Adrian shakes his head, "Don't need it," he says, "Already purifying away the hostile plane." Hanna and the others accept it, relief coming. You canstill hear the roar, but it's far less. More like a whisper in you rear.
<Muirfinn> "Alright, let's form up and move out. Any issues before we go?"
> Headshakes and demurrals follow, "I'm ready," Hanna says. OOC: What's your plan for approach here?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Dragons and giants to quarantine, rip houses apart, etc. Then send in the footsoldiers.
> The others trail behind as the dragons and giants take the fore. As you approach, you get a good look at Madhouse. The winds die down as you approach. The light comes from above, the source unseen. Madhouse is a ramshackle collection of half-finished houses, ruined huts, broken buildings and crumbling walls. It lacks any particular pattern, a sprawling mess of styles and design. As you get closer, you can see a single figure sits in waiting a ways from the city. An ancient crone, nude and more akin to a wrinkled pile of flesh than anything coherent. Her eyes are pure white and dark brown fluids drip from her ears. OOC: Go ahead adn begin your approach, deal with her or whatever as you please.
* Muirfinn flits down as a bird, landing upon a piece of ice near the old woman.
> As Muirfinn does so, the others hold back. The old woman stares at him with long-blind eyes, and words sound in his mind. 'Cold-blooded. Granny's here for you, all the time! Welcome to Madhouse! It's a roaring good place!' Laughter follows this, the woman starting to scratch all over her body. Bloody trails are left by her hands, dripping down her body. 'Birdy, here's the cold-blooded birdie! Keep your eye onit, it bites big!'
* Muirfinn eyes her for a moment, then sqwuaks, taking off into the air and rejoining his party.
> 'Birdie!' The voice is heard as Muirfinn takes back off to the air, 'I'm so hungry, birdie!' You can hear the sound of eating, the woman feasting on...something.
> 'Birdie!' The voice is heard as Muirfinn takes back off to the air, 'I'm so hungry, birdie!' You can hear the sound of eating, the woman feasting on...something. As you fly away, your back is to her and you can't see what she's consuming.
<Muirfinn> As hunger and Muirfinn have an unpleasant history, Muirfinn does not turn back to look! He rejoins the group. "Mad woman. Let's move." His form shifts, billowing out into a titanic silver dragon!
> With him is Baleruk, the two taking to wing! The giants follow on, as...OOC: Go describe your attack and I'll take it from there.
* Muirfinn flies into the town, teeth and claws lashing out to pull buildings apart as he sprays ice into the air above the town! Frozen water rains down among frost-burned wood and shattered stone as he passes!
> Baleruk stays higher out, swooping about as he spreads fivefold breath all over! The elements rage about as Baleruk roars loud enough to crack buildings. The giants charge in, smashing the buildings with two-handed greatclubs and hacking them with axes! OOC: We'll begin with intimidation check. Make one, Muirfinn. The gians will be aiding the two of you, so both you and Baleruk get a +6 bonus.
> roll 1d20+58 Baleruk
-rpgcafe.ca.us.lunarnet.org:@#dunes- Kotono invited Hatbot into the channel.
* Hatbot (~Hatbot@72.183.113.233) has joined #dunes
> roll 1d20+58 Baleruk
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+58 Baleruk and gets 64." [1d20=6]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14+6
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+14+6 and gets 30." [1d20=10]
> The sudden assault tears into town! Ice frezes over the air above, jagged snowflakes falling all around. Buildings are torn apart by claws, as Baleruk roars and roars. It rivals the howling winds of Pandemonium as he wrecks havoc, the giants below smashing the damaged buildings down. In result to your attack, chaos erupts! Creatures of all types come out - hideous things, mutated terrors, demons and daemons best not spoken of, and odder things yet. It is a terrible, dreadful image before you, but none attack. The mighty assault seems to have frozen the residents in surprise and fear, at least for now. Dragonfear and raw intimidation races through the dregs!
* Muirfinn lands atop a ruined building, wings stretching over it as he eyes the villagers menacingly.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> Baleruk keeps circling around the village. His roars shake the foundations of Madhouse, buildings shuddering under his wrath. Of the wretched damned that populate here, one comes forward. It is a creature you know, a babau. It approaches with hands held up, as if to shield its face from Muirfinn. In your mind a rasping hiss-whisper is heard, 'What do you seek here, dragon? Death? Decimation? Madness? All are free to any who want them.'
> Meanwhile some others start to flee or hide, while a few others begin to gather. They don't draw weapons, seemingly entranced in fear at the sudden assault.
* Muirfinn roars, icy breath chilling the air as wings nearly the color of platinum arc over the ruined town. "One of you has something of mine...something that belongs to me. You will give it to me now!"
> 'What is it?' The voice hisses, a feeling like a cold fishhook being jammed into your mind. 'Do I have your pain?' The creature reaches up, ripping a hunk of flesh from its shoulder. It's a red-jellied mess, dripping dark purple blood. 'Your hatred? Your misery? The screaming winds or the doldrums here? Tell me, dragon. What do we have of yours? Tell me what to give you.''
> Behind you, you can hear the giants working. Another building collapses, a hut of wood and scrap tumbling down. A screaming dretch assaults a giant, only to be slammed down and crushed beneath.
> Ahead of you, an emancipated creature, perhaps a human, elf or something mortal but too caked in filth to tell, leaps on a shambling, bug infested hunchback. It bites and bites, devouring him one mouthful at a time.
<Muirfinn> "You have my knowledge. One of you has it, and would not give it freely. We have arrived to take it, because you would not give! Because one of you could not do something so simple, you have our ire, and our eye. We have come, and you shall give it now, or we will take everything! You will GIVE IT, OR EACH OF YOU SHALL SUFFER FOR THE FOLLY OF THE ONE!"
> The babau flinches back at that shout, stumbling with arms held up to shield itself. It speaks aloud now, hissing as if in pain. 'What is it, dragon? What is this information you thirst for?'
> A child's crying voice whispers in Muirfinn's mind, like a bead of cold sweat trickling down his back, '32. 943. 3. 5834. 5893. 59. 5834945. 043. 38. 48390.' Youa ren't sure where the mental telepathy is coming from.
<Muirfinn> "KINA-JA!" Muirfinn screams, eyes of molten silver fixed squarely on the babau as he tries to push the foreign thoughts aside.
> The demon screams, rills of ice forming on his body as Muirfinn's exhale blows past him. Several of the wretches slink back, a few breaking into a run altogether. The babau turns away, pointing across town. A crumbling stone house sits, currently undisturbed. "The Man of the Winds," it hisses, "He knows. The winds talk to him. If he does not know, he knows who knows."
* Muirfinn raises his head, gaze rising to the others. OOC: are the others nearby?
> OOC: The giants are busy, Baleruk's above making hell. Adrian, Hanna and Vivantha are hanging back as requested.
* Muirfinn lowers his gaze to the babau again. "Bring him to me."
> The babau skitters away, hurrying ot the hut. Fear and loathing are your only companions asthe giants continue to methodically work. Above Baleruk screams, "IS THIS IT, WEAKLINGS? WHERE ARE THE BALORS? THE DAEMONS OF POWER? THE MASTERS OF MAGIC?" Meanwhile the babau goes into the house. From the house there is a horrid, windy howling and a slicing sound. It's a whistling howl, as if a knife was slicing through. Then nothing, the babau does not return.
* Muirfinn rumbles forward, shoving villagers aside as his massive bulk navigates the street. He steps up to the house and peers inside.
> It's hard to get a view, but superior draconic eyesight compensates. The inside is in shambles, full of broken junk and hunks of things. There's no sign of the babau. Sitting atop a broken pile of wood is a strange creature. It has a humanoid body, chalk white in color. It is thin yet has a massive gut, entire body emancipated save for its stomach. The stomach makes it sag forward, almost bent over from it. Its head is that of a crow, beak cracked all over. You notice it is meeting your gaze.
> *Emaciated
<Muirfinn> "You are the Man of the Winds."
> In response the creature beckons you forward with one finger. "Only you," It speaks, but its beak does not open. It sounds like someone choking, making your throat twitch. "Only you, Muirfinn-dying-in-void."
* Muirfinn fixes the creature with silvery gaze for a moment, then joins it inside, his body shrinking down to fit within the structure. "You know what I seek."
> OOC: REverting or just minus size?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Minus size
> OOC: REquires you to go downt o large size. That can get in but nothing larger.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Works for me.
> It's a tight squeeze to get in, but Muirfinn gets in. "I do." The creature holds its stomach, pushing it up as it stands fully. "Baleruk-screaming-of-rainbows and Syala-who-cannot-be-seen. Twenty seven. Twenty one. Your son fell to the erinyes. Horror. The winds tell me about horror around you. Welcome home," It offers a hand out, "My good and faithful son."
* Muirfinn eyes the creature intently, draconic snout inches away from the cracked raven's beak, snorting. "You know things, yes. Things I know, and things I do not. This is a place of madness, its very name belying its state. Your words have a ring to them, though their veracity is unknown. You call me your son, and you speak of my own. Why?"
> "Because..." The creature reaches out, stomach sagging forward. Its hand touches your face, rough like old leather left to harden in the sun. "When it is over, you will return here to live with me. There can be no other result when you do war with Kina-ja. You cannot break it down. The center will not hold. The absolute light will not come. I love you, Muirfinn-dying-in-void. Kina-ja sought my council to defeat her nemesis. She spoke of such secrets, my son."
* Muirfinn glances down at the stomach. "...you ate the babau, didn't you?"
> In a tender voice as your throat swells, "Would you like to see?"
<Muirfinn> "No, thanks." Muirfinn says. "Moving on; Kina-ja. Let's talk about her instead."
> "6, 6, 6," It replies, staring into your silvery eyes. "She cannot defeat her nemesis. Not without aid. She sought what lies there and found it. He is many and none. His appearance and history are the greatest lies of all. He is the terminus. He is where it will end. He is one of hers. Do not speak his name. It is a lie. It is a lie wrapped in a lie, given to a lie told by a liar. Do not speak his realm's name, for it is lies from the liar. The absolute light can dissolve it, but it will fail when you need it most, because it is not your story. Kina-ja is truth, but her lies will become lying truths if not stopped. It is a sign that all lies will become real, and all truths will become lies. The terminus will swallow both."
<Muirfinn> "What is the absolute light?"
> "What dissolved what could not be killed," It answers, "The light of 21 has come back. The winds scream of it."
<Muirfinn> "Ah, of  course. 21. I should have known that." Muirfinn sighs. "What about this new ally of hers? Is it an obyrith?"
> "Do not speak his name. It is a lie. It is a lie wrapped in a lie, given to a lie told by a liar. Do not ask of what it is, for only lies that become truth will be found." Then, with a slow smile, "Ask me to tell you his name, my son."
<Muirfinn> "Would that not make it a lie said aloud, causing it to become truth?"
> The creature chuckles but does not reply further. In the back of your mind, a crying child's voice intones, '493. 5. 3. 390944. 5920. 49. 580284208424. 54935. 5938. 0928300. 384. 589382984298. 49. 1.'
<Muirfinn> "Why am I hearing numbers?"
> "She likes them. They tell her things of magic," The creature replies, "Promise me you will kill Kina-ja."
<Muirfinn> "What possible reason could I be given not to kill her?"
* Muirfinn looks a bit incredulous.
> "Good," The creatures sits down now, "I am content."
<Muirfinn> "Well, That's good, I suppose." Muirfinn rests back on his haunches for a moment. A beat of silence. "...It's not Shar, is it?"
> "It is many things, but all of the void is her," The creature replies, "But not all lies are here."
> *her
<Muirfinn> "So...wait. Shar is going to kill me?"
<Muirfinn> "...why?"
> "No, for she is not all lies," It says, as meanwhile, Vivantha's voice is heard. "Brave hero!" she calls, "Frost giants and air elementals came calling. More may be coming."
<Muirfinn> "So then, how can I successfully defeat Kina-ja?" Muirfinn asks, poking his head back outside. "Everyone alright?"
> Vivantha is flying over. "We're fine. The giants and elementals aren't," she answers shortly, "The giants were wounded and some of the residents joined in, but they didn't do so well."
<Muirfinn> "Wait, cloud giants are wounded? Or the frost giants?"
> "Our giants. Hanna's healing them," Vivantha explains. "The frost giants were slain."
<Muirfinn> "Ah. I'm finishing up here, I think." Muirfinn turns back to the bird man thing.
> The creature awaits Muirfinn, staring at him all the while.
<Muirfinn> "Apologies. Again, how can I defeat Kina-ja? Furthermore, how do I reach her? Is it possible to lure her from hiding?"
> "The absolute light. It is the key to it all," The figure says, "To find her...give her the chance. Give her the chance to make her dream come true."
<Muirfinn> "...well, that will likely be a chore and a half. Better than trying to confront her on the 666th layer, though, I'd reckon." Muirfinn shifts. "Our time together is at a close, I'm afraid. Perhaps we will have chance to speak again someday."
<Muirfinn> OOC: That's physical shifting, not shapeshifting.
> "Until you return," The creature looks on at Muirfinn, making no move to stop him.
* Muirfinn wrenches his way out of the house, seeking his companions.
> You find them gathered on the edge of the shattered down. Around them are a dozen dead frost giants, Adrian and a few giants busying themselves with looting. It looks mostly done. Hanna comes over, scythe proped against her shoulder. "How'd it go?" she announces, "I think we got the notice of something keeping an eye on Madhouse from what the giants said. We'll have trouble if we linger."
<Muirfinn> "That's fine, I'm done here. I have...disturbing news. We should go."
> "Gate us," Hanna calls, "BALERUK!" she screams to the sky, said dragon coming. OOC: Beating a retreat while the retreating is good?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yep
> For once, retreat goes perfectly. The party escapes, Adrian breaking away to deal with loot. Hanna sighs as you walk inside, "It's truly a miracle, we came back completely triumphant with no complications."
<Muirfinn> Talons clicking on tiles, Muirfinn chuffs. "I wouldn't say that."
> "Was it that bad, brave hero?" Vivantha asks.
> "That is the question," Hanna hmphs, "So what did you find out?"
<Muirfinn> "In order: One of my sons is likely dead. 21 is the key to destroying Kina-ja, but if we take it into the 666th layer, it will fail us at a crucial time. The only way to successfully do this is to lure Kina-ja out of the Abyss. The only way to do that is to use irresistable bait."
> "I'm sorry," Hanna clasps Muirfinn's shoulder.
> Vivantha gasps, "Do you trust the madman that much?"
* Muirfinn shakes his head. "Their deaths are a mercy. The alternative is much worse. I had hoped and prayed that they had died, and that their souls rested with our gods. If that is so, they are not lost. They are safe. As for trusting the creature...he spoke many things and knew much he should not have. He may have even been sane. Vicious and odd, but his words made a strange sort of sense and
* Muirfinn did not twist into the madness I had expected to be forced to combat."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> "Then the question is: What do we do now?" Hanna asks.
<Muirfinn> "I'll need to speak with Antenorra, first." Muirfinn says. "That will give me an opportunity to feel this situation out."
> "Will you need company?" Hanna asks then.
<Muirfinn> "You're all welcome." Muirfinn says.
> "Adrian can deal with that treasure," Hanna says, "Can you manage another gate? I can get us over if you can't."
> Vivantha smiles and nods, "Let's go. We can bring glad tidings of success to her."
> OOC: Good with hopping along
> ?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Sure
> The trip to Sylica is unremarkable - as much as a trip through the Heavens and across planes can be. You're soon sitting before Antenora once more, "How did it go?" she asks. OOC: Ball's in your court.
<Muirfinn> "Strangely, but that's no surprise. Tell me, have you ever met a prophetic man with a massive raven's beak?"
> "No," Antenora shakes her head, "It sounds like some sort of fiend."
> "It was," Hanna adds, "Muirfinn met it and they had a lengthy discussion."
<Muirfinn> "...sort of."
<Muirfinn> "Somewhat."
> "Go on with it," Antenora says, "Did it tell anything useful," she waves a hand to hurry Muirfinn along.
<Muirfinn> "I don't know what he was. Whatever he was, he was both remarkably calm and forthcoming. Also, eerily accurate."
* Kobrb is now known as Kotono
> "Troubling, but that implies good information," Antenora continues, "Once you strip it away of madness and agendas."
<Muirfinn> "Well, it told me several things. The relevant facts are that Kina'ja has acquired the aid of some sort of ancient and powerful evil. This evil is sharing its power with her as well as some sort of secrets to do with numbers. According the the creature, she can now only be slain with the power of 21. Unfortunately, heading to the 666th layer of the Abyss will cause 21's power to fail us there
<Muirfinn> when we need it most. The only way to kill her properly is to lure her out."
> "Fiends always have an agenda," Hanna murmurs, "But it doesn't mean they can't tell the truth."
> The Opal Angel rests back and closes her eyes, sighing lightly through her nose. "Tell me more about 21."
> "How much do you know about it," Hanna says, going on after a moment's pause, "To cut past the pretense, how much has Ebony told Sylica about it?"
> "It's improper to say it right out, but needs must as needs must." Antenora frowns ever so slightly before going on. "It's some sort of tool or metaphysical creation that can wound evil and deities," Antenora remarks, "Jaela was supposed to take it from another on Aurora, Sylvie, but Sylvie ended up keeping it."
> "We're allies, not mortal nations squabbling," Hanna retorts, crossing her arms. "Politeness doesn't mean we should hamstring ourselves over it."
> Antenora smiles now, banishing her earlier disapproval. "Still, secrets exist even in the Heavens. What's not told is as important as what is known. There are times when ignorance is bliss, or at least agreeable to smooth over basic relations. There's things I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to. It's too important that they aren't known, and I expect there are things about the Court of the Stars that you would hold in the same confidence."
* Muirfinn nods. "As far as we know, it's a tool designed to examine, dissect, and destroy evil. It was created, presumably, by the beings that created this reality. Or some other primordial thing. I don't know. Finding information on it is impossible. It's been used a handful of times, but mostly Sylvie bears the burden. I understand it's not an easy burden to bear."
> "Mm, the three. They could create something like that," Antenora agrees after hearing that. "Troublesome. So we have to lure Kina-ja out. That would have something to do with Sharess, her obsession."
<Muirfinn> "From what I've surmised, it will have to be Sharess. In a publically vulnerable position."
<Muirfinn> "It's the only bait she'll take."
> "That will be difficult. Even if we can come up with a position and execute it, we'd have to get Sharess to agree." Antenora's face slips into a scowl, "She'd have all the reasons in Creation to turn us down cold."
> "I've been thinking it over," Hanna adds in, "I don't really like our options regarding it, but it's better than an expidition that's fated to fail. That or we need to devise a third option altogether."
<Muirfinn> "Of course she would, and who could blame her? It's a terrible idea."
> "At least we agree," Antenora says with a hint of dry humor. "Kina-ja's story and fall are predicated on unfair treatment in her mortal life, which she alleges to remember. Sharess categorically denies Kina-ja's claim. It might be worth nudging around that to see if we can find any insights on her."
<Muirfinn> "Yes. Right. Nudging gods." Muirfinn sighs. "You know, if I was a mortal, I'd probably be terrified."
> "You should be terrified, even if you aren't a mortal," Hanna quips, "Deities ARE terrifying."
> "I didn't mean to nudge Sharess," Antenora replies, "I'm inclined to believe the story that Kina-ja sold her soul for eternal youth and was then murdered by a summoned demon. I'm thinking of something a little more indirect. Have you ever been to Mechanus?"
<Muirfinn> "That would explain the terror." Muirfinn chuckles.
<Muirfinn> "Oh, that's MUCH more believable. No, I have not."
> Hanna makes an expression between a wince and an EW face.
> "There's a place there where mortal memories cna be reviewed. It's all regulated and strictly controlled. You need a lot of swing in Mechanus or a deity in good standing with Mechanus to access anything. Alicia's in good standing with Mechanus so I can take care of that, and if your deity's in good standing...who do you follow?" Antenora asks.
<Muirfinn> "The Mother Ocean."
> "That should do," Antenora states, "Would you care to go to Mechanus with me," Antenora says with a warm smile. "By calling in some favors and acting the right way, we should be able to get what we want. If we can review Kina-ja's mortal life, there may be clues in it and things to follow up on. We may just find something else we can use to bait her, or something as a psychological weapon."
> Vivantha frowns at that, before blinking and looking away, a little abashed.
* Muirfinn cocks his head for a moment, then nods. "That's acceptable."
> "I'll have to pass," Hanna remarks, "I wouldn't help you at all in Mechanus."
> "My kind are not on the best terms with the lawbringers of Mechanus," Vivantha admits, "We don't see eye to eye on most things."
* Muirfinn nods. "I expected you to say so. I have heard that they are somewhat zealous in their love of the law."
> "They're overzealous," Hanna concludes shortly, "If you need more help from Aurora, I'd look to people inclined towards order."
* Muirfinn nods. "I'll see if anyone wants to go."
> OOC: Okay, so what's your plan here?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Gimme a mo
> OOC: Sure.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Figured I'd ask the handful of lawful NPCs if they wanna go on A Planar Jaunt.
> OOC: Okay. We'll hop back.
> The trip back to Aurora is likewise peaceful. Antenora tags along, taking in Aurora's sights with restrained calm. Hanna peels her away so you can do your business in peace. The first one you find is Ebony. She's sitting with the phase spiders, reading from a thick tome.  She closes it on your approach and marks her page before turning to you, "How can I help you today, Muirfinn?"
* Muirfinn absently pats a spider. "We're going to Mechanus, and I thought I would ask the few people here willing to go if they wanted to join us."
> It stays beneath Muirfinn's hand, unphased by his friendliness. "Mechanus? I have no objection," Ebony says, "If you need me, I will come."
<Muirfinn> "Hopefull it will be mostly pleasant."
> "If that's in the schedule there, it will be," Ebony rises with a smile, dusting off her robes with a murmured spell. "I'll make sure the residents give us a good schedule."
<Muirfinn> "Excellent. If you don't mind, I'll also ask Morniel and Ellese."
> From there you catch up to Morniel. Or you would, but you meet Elena by the portals instead. "You're looking for Morniel? He's in diplomatic meetings with a resident of Celestia, Afina and the Mercane." Said ghost girl is dressed up in a full, frilly sundress today, along with an umbrella. "Ellese is in her room resting, though. You should go see her, hopefully Moriel will be done soon."
* Muirfinn nods, changing direction for the dormitories!
> As you go through the portal and walk down the hall, you pass by Dana. She's whistling, "Hey Muirfinn," she greets, "So have you fucked up any devils lately?"
<Muirfinn> "I met a strange man with a giant raven's beak and no face. I believe he cut a babau in half and then ate it in its entirety. He then gave me strangely accurate and haunting prophetic advice. In Pandemonium."
> "That's fucking awesome," Dana grins, "So why the hell didn't you invite me, bitch? It's so boring around here."
<Muirfinn> "Honestly? I didn't even think of it. I'm about to head out to Mechanus, actually."
> "Shit, Mechanus?" Dana hms, "I could go for skewring some inevitables," she replies, "I should come with you and help you fuck up anything in your way."
* Muirfinn shakes his head. "Unfortunately, we need to be there on our best behavior. We need a rather large favor from them, so the majority of the people here actually cannot come. It makes my job here somewhat more difficult."
> "Ah, that's bullshit!" Dana mutters, "Well, come get me when that's over and we can knock some fucking heads together then."
<Muirfinn> "You'll be first on my list, I promise."
> Muirfinn gets a loud, powerful THUMP on the shoulder as Dana goes off, leaving him be once more.
* Muirfinn shakes his head, resuming his quest.
> Ellese is found in her room. She opens the door and stands aside for you, going to sit on the bed afterwards without saying anything.
* Muirfinn steps in, looking about. "Hello Ellese, how are you?"
> "Better," she replies, looking down. "Reflecting on the battle against Kina-ja."
<Muirfinn> "Ah, excellent. How do you feel about it?"
> "It was stressful, but I think I did a good job," she replies, still staring down. "At the same time I understood her pain. It made sense to me. She's been miserable too."
<Muirfinn> "I agree, you did quite well. As for Kina-ja, her pain is unfortunate, but she very likely is the cause of it."
> "Self inflicted wounds, but she still dreams of the cats," Ellese murmurs.
* Muirfinn nods. "Indeed. She is obsessed with Sharess. This brings me to the reason I'm here, actually. Antenora, Ebony and I are headed to Mechanus to learn more about Kina-ja. Would you like to come?"
> She shakes her head, "I can't, not yet. Elder Magi Tepen want sme to spend more time reflecting and learning first. It's helping after the battle."
<Muirfinn> "Of course. That is quite fine. I merely wished to extend the invitation."
> "Thank you," Ellese replies, "Who's Antenora?"
<Muirfinn> "An angelic proxy of Syala, I believe."
> "Oooh." Ellese murmurs, "When it's over...would you tell me how it went? I think I'd like to hear."
<Muirfinn> "Of course! I'll see you when I get back, then."
> From there it's a matter of finding Moriel. He's in Aurora's meeting room. A half eaten tray of small snacks and drinks is there, but it's otherwise empty. He has a glass of water in hand, watching the ripples as he gently moves the glass around. "Muirfinn," he greets you. "How goes your matters with Syala and Antenora?"
<Muirfinn> "Good day, Morniel. We're off to Mechanus. I wanted to know if you wanted to come."
> "I'm free to," he says, "For what business?"
<Muirfinn> "Research on Kina=ja and her mortal life."
> "That business? Very well," Morniel rises, "I can call in favors from allies in Mechanus to speed any processes. As a Tone Archon, my authority will go a long ways with the servants of Celestia there."
<Muirfinn> "We appreciate it. Please meet us downstairs when you are ready."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> Muirfinn, Antenora, Morniel and Ebony gather. Antenora and Morniel are chatting amid themselves, a snippet of conversation caught as Muirfinn approaches. "-ways. But you know that most of all, don't you?" Morniel asks gravely. Meanwhile Ebony awaits with her harp out, strumming it idly.
> "More than most," Antenora's reply is murmured softly as she turns to face Muirfinn. "It's important that we make sure not to violate any rules or regulations within Mechanus. Fortunately, non-natives are held to a different standard, so you'll have some latitude against minor mistakes. They take order as the first and only important thing in Creation there."
> "Further, the three of us," Gesturing to encompass everyone but Muirfinn, "Are held to a higher standard than you will be, as we have a connection to absolute order." Morniel says.
* Muirfinn nods. "I assume they will have the rules posted somewhere, or some other method of communicating them."
> 'Yes,' "Yes," Antenora says both aloud and in your mind. "To read them could take several lifetimes. In the interests of speed, I'll be telepathically informing you of any rules as we go. If in doubt, don't be afraid to ask the official you're dealing with. They love to instruct others in the ways of law."
<Muirfinn> "I would assume so. The very act of not communicating the law engenders chaos."
> "That's correct in their view," Morniel speaks up, "There are entire auditoriums dedicated to Inevitables reading off the great books of law. You could, with no exaggeration, spend lifetimes listening. They broadcast them all the time as well, but only servants of Mechanus hear it in most places."
> "Except for slaads. They hear it as well, but that's not a matter of instruction. It's a matter of defense," Antenora points out, "The slaads that hear it can't stand it."
* Muirfinn nods. "Not totally unexpected."
> "Let's get to it," Morniel says, as the party heads out. A portal takes you to a land of open night skies. Stars glitter in all directions. You stand on a vast cog full of rivers and sand dunes. Buildings of polished marble rise from them, connected by perfectly straight streets in flawless cube-patterns. Above, below and around are other gears, ranging in size from islands to far too big to tell. Each gear has a different but perfect pattern of terrain. The gear you are on is connected together, constantly turning and whirling. The air is filled with the smooth sounds of gears moving against one another, like a clockwork symphony. On the various paths Inevitables and other clockwork creations stand, the paths beneath them moving beneath them as if animated.
* Muirfinn looks about, suitably impressed. "Well."
> Antenora's gaze sweeps around. A fond smile overtakes her face as she gestures to the nearest path. 'Step on it and allow it to take you where order says you must go. It's the first step,' Antenora's voice explains in your mind.
> Morniel looks around briefly, "Mechanus never changes, yet is infinite, so I always see a new part of it. One of the mysteries of Creation."
<Muirfinn> "Right." Muirfinn steps!
> The party goes to the nearest sidewalk and steps on. It moves beneath them, taking the party along without any effort. As the group glides along, the song of the gears endlessly whirling, "There is one thing," Morniel speaks up, very softly. "Most adapt and accept the sound of the gears - the gearson, as it is called. A few do not and it drives them to madness. Speak up if you're feeling strained."
> "I struggle to see how it could," Antenora replies as she looks ahead, the party being taken to one of the classical buildings ahead. "Mechanus calms me so."
* Muirfinn cocks his head, listening to the sound. "
<Muirfinn> OOC: BLAR HAR HAR
* Muirfinn cocks his head, listening to the sound. "I don't feel any difficulties."
> "Good," Morniel murmurs back, the party taken along. You are taken to one grand, open air building. There are no walls, only fields of light that demarcate one office from another. Each has a desk, a few chairs and a single clockwork man sitting at the desk.  Some are talking to mortals and immortals of various stripes, while others are idle. The path takes you into the closest empty office, the clockwork man rising. He speaks in words you understand yet do not know, "Welcome to the Guidance Hall. Find your way ahead here. Please tell me your names, rank and serial numbers, if you have been assigned one."
> 'Go along with it,' Antenora sends to Muirfinn, "Antenora Reynes. I am the Angel of Redemption and I oversee the Opal Mountain of Sylica," she explains, "I do not have a serial number."
> Ebony's face stays neutral, "Ebony of Sylica, an angel in the service of the goddess Alicia. I too lack a serial number."
<Muirfinn> "Muirfinn of the Shellscale of Lifasa, Chosen of the Great Mother Ocean. I do not have a specific number."
* Muirfinn bows politely at the waist.
> "Morniel of Celestia, Throne Archon in service to Aurora, formerly Medicant." Morniel ads for his part, "48482955159825839."
> "It is recorded," The creature's hand becomes a metallic quill, paper appearing as it writes. "Please state the reason for your visit."
> "Each of us comes in the name of deities seeking the records and memories of a mortal life. Ebony and myself represent Alicia and Syala of Sylica." Antenora inclines her head forward. 'Just keep following my lead,' she murmurs in Muirfinn's mind.
> Ebony nods, "I am spoken for by Antenora."
> "I seek what Antenora does, in the name of the Hebdomad and the greater unity of Celestia. I invoke the rights of diplomacy I have been granted and hold in good standing, as well as the Compacts of Peaceful Exchanges between Celestia and Mechanus."
> "I seek what Antenora does, in the name of the Hebdomad and the greater unity of Celestia. I invoke the rights of diplomacy I have been granted and hold in good standing, as well as the Compacts of Peaceful Exchanges between Celestia and Mechanus." Morniel says, "Further, under the circumstances, it is within our rights to request expedited attentions."
<Muirfinn> "I also seek the same. I represent the Mother Ocean's interests in eliminating those purely destructive forces of chaos and evil."
> More writing. "The request has been submitted," he states, the paper taking to the air and flying away of its own accord. As it flies up, you catch sight of a semi-transparent field of flying papers above, all flowing above and ahead, towards something unknown. It lasts a few moments before fading into being unseen once more. "Please return to the path and you will be taken to the next destination."
* Muirfinn nods.
> "Thank you," Antenora inclines her head forward before going back to the path. In Muirfinn's mind, 'We'll likely go through a few of these and questions of about the same magnitude. We can throw around more weight if need be, but it sows ill will to bypass their regulations. Alicia or another deity could get away with it here, but alas, we are not them."
<Muirfinn> "I'm in no urgent hurry. Provided this doesn't take a month or something like that, we should be fine."
> The next few hours are taken up by several similar encounters. You're taken all over this gear, talking to clockwork men. The questions are gathering various bits of information and fairly quick, ultimately unreliable. After the fifth or six one, the path heads towards the edge of this gear and into open space. As you approach it, a swirling portal appears. "Here we go," Morniel murmurs, "The preliminaries are done with."
> *unremarkable, not unreliable
> "I've heard stories of mortals spending years going through preliminaries," Ebony adds quietly, "Is that true?"
<Muirfinn> "Well, good thing we're not."
> "It can be, but in a large part due to them setting themselves back," Morniel says as you come closer to the portal. It would take random newcomers a few days to get through this, at the least. Yes, a good thing we're not." With that the path reaches the portal, reality rippling apart. You stand in a pleasant appointed office. A broad desk of good, sturdy dark wood is here. It's well polished and the quill, inkpots, papers and books on it are neatly organized. Ahead of you sits an elderly angel, face lined with age and worry. In spite of that he does not look old - there is a sense of vitality and friendliness to him.  He wears tunic and hose, like a common scribe. Behind you are deeply padded chairs and polished wood tables. "Morniel! Congratulations on your promotion," the figure says, only human sized.
> "It is the will of Celestia," Morniel bows his head in reverence, "I don't need any congratulations, only praise to the Holy Mountain...but thank you," he finishes with a smile. "This is Antenora Reynes, Muirfinn and Ebony. I presume you've been tapped to be a facilitator here?"
* Muirfinn bows in a courtly fashion.
> Antenora and Ebony murmur greetings. Your facilitator says, "I am. You can call me Yashiel. Sit if you like." He does the same at his desk, "Your request has enough authority to go through, it's a question of time and how much you'll get. Allow me to explain. Mechanus is the ultimate bureaucracy and no matter how organized, various Inevitables and members do have personal agendas - even if they're usually preferences on how absolute law should be carried out. Primus has been more hands off in the last several millenia, allowing these sort of things to go on. As it stands, extenuating circumstances could be useful to speed up the process."
* Muirfinn motions for Yashiel to go on.
> "First of all, you could curry favor with various bureaucrats that would be opposed to your request," Yashiel says, "Not bribes, which are completely illegal, but talking them down, diplomacy and that manner of thing." Yashiel says. "Secondly, you could appeal even higher up the chain. A successful attempt could hasten the proceedings, but a failure could set you back. Further, you'll make enemies going over other people's heads. Thirdly, you could do things to promote law over chaos in a direct fashion. In other words, hunt bounties and objectives for Mechanus. Even the most contrary Inevitable cannot help but admire creatures that deal with hated chaos."
> "In essence," Antenora says, "We ingratiate ourselves to them, we throw our authorities against a high ranking Inevitable or we go on a quest to kill or capture chaotic beings?"
> "That's how it's usually done," Morniel says, "All three of those serve to advance order. The first eliminates dissent and encourages one united viewpoint. The second honors the chain of command and authority. The third directly applies the supremacy of law over chaos."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Muirfinn> "Hmm. Well, I find the first most agreeable. Going beyond the chain of command and stepping on toes would not serve our purpose. As for the third, provided we're not out killing eladrin or lillend...or Renbuu's slaad, I don't have a problem with the thrid option. I assume a combination of the first and third options would gain us the most favor?"
> "Going to slay demons is a laudible goal," Antenora adds, "One I would be more than capable of helping with."
> "A combination would be good," Morniel agrees, I can lead efforts at diplomacy and Antenora can lead warefforts. There's four of us, so two teams of two strike me as most apt." Here he rests back a moment, steepling his hands, "Ebony, Muirfinn, would each of you prefer to be negotiators or warriors?"
> Ebony pauses, "Muirfinn, I'll leave it to your discretion. I can serve in either roll as needed. Do you have a preference?"
<Muirfinn> "I am an expert at both. I would ask you the same."
> Ebony makes a wry face, chuckling as she pushes back her hood. "Betwixt courtesy and demurrals, are we? Either of us would pair with Antenora well - she is a fast flier who specializes in single, overwhelming strikes. She is somewhat akin to how Jaela fights, though more focus on mobility and attacks than support magic. Arguing and wooing the lawful minds of the children of Mechanus is a task I could also complete. What good is a bard who cannot fight with words as well as blade?"
<Muirfinn> "Then I will leave you to the task of winning regimented hearts and minds here."
> "Good fortune to your efforts," Ebony says, glancing at Morniel. "How will we do this, then?"
> "I know how things work here," Morniel rises from his seat, "I can guide us. Yashiel, would you instruct Antenora and Muirfinn from here?"
> "As you wish, m'lord," The angel says with a slight smile, mostly hidden by a bow of his head.
> Morniel stops and blinks a moment before his own smile comes, "I'm going to hear that a lot, aren't I?"
* Muirfinn pats Morniel on the shoulder. "Probably."
> "Such is the burden of archons of the book and throne," Yashiel matches that smile, "Those of us with less holy illumination can only marvel and pay praise to them."
> Chuckling and nodding to Muirfinn, "As the old man said, stop calling me sir. It makes me feel old."
> "Yes sir," Waving a hand with a gentle smile, "I'll see to these two. Go with the wisdom of Celestia, Morniel."
> "As will you," Morniel goes to leave and Ebony follows, the two heading out of a door in the back of the room. Once gone, Yashiel turns his attention to the two of you. "Are either of you familiar with how Mechanus sets bounties against agents of chaos?"
<Muirfinn> "I've dealt with bounties before, but not with Mechanus."
> "I am," Antenora says. "As Muirfinn said, leave out any related to the eladrin, lillend or Renbuu's servants. The last is a political issue for Aurora, as I understnad it."
<Muirfinn> "Something to do with Baleruk, if I recall."
> Yashiel sits back and steeples his hands together, just as Morniel did a few moments ago. "Creatures of overwhelming and disruptive chaos get special attention from Mechanus. There's entire legions dedicated to exterminating disorder that offends Mechanus more than usual. Of course, bureaucracy and infinity being what they are, they can't exterminate them all. Not to mention those strong enough to repel attacks from Mechanus. These are put out as bounties for lawful friends not formally attached to Mechanus's order to hunt at their leisure. While the rewards are relatively paltry for the difficulties involved, you earn a lot of good favor with Mechanus for fighting back chaos. That's the main benefit and various applicants and seekers are known to help their own cause by advancing law's war against chaos."
* Muirfinn raises a clawed finger. "If you're about to tell me that either the Father or Kina-ja are on that list, we're already working on it."
> "I'm sure they are." Yashiel says without missing a beat. "Somewhere someone put out a bounty on them. There's even bounties on demon princes like Demogorgon and the old goat. There's a complication - Mechanus prefers bounties be taken in alive. The justice of Mechanus demands those who commit chaos be held accountable. A court is meaningless without a defendant, as the Inevitables like to say. That all said, it's best to choose someone impressive and suited to your skills. Bringing in a couple of lesser demons or slaad won't get that much return for your effort. A few may even claim you're disserving law by wasting time with creatures beneath your station."
* Muirfinn snorts. "Of course."
> "So whomever we go after is someone we have no problems with being tried in Mechanus," Antenora continues, "Which is why I suggested demons or at least slaad."
> "Yes. None of the heavens look kindly on taking eladrin in, even if their natures are endlessly vexing," Yashiel agrees, "We agree to disagree with Mechanus on that particular point."
<Muirfinn> "Either is fine. Are there any names in particular you were thinking of?"
> "I have a recent copy of likely bounties," Yashiel goes into his desk drawer and takes out an impressively thick tome, bulging with hundreds if not thousands of pages. "Likely bounties is Mechanus's way of saying that it's a bounty that sufficiently powerful hunters are likely to succeed on." He opens it up and flips through, "The book's magic, if you wonder. Lest we be here all day reading bounties."
<Muirfinn> "Of course."
> "Let's see now..." He flips through and through, reading from one page. "Here's one possibility. The Great Abyss, the fourth layer of the Abyss. There's a rogue demon," A pause to chuckle, "A redundancy if I've ever read one! This rogue demon has set up an 'anti-soul laboratory' involving raw chaos and mortals. Reports say that he is a unique demon called Yesthalae."
> OOC: You can K:P that layer and name if you like.
> roll 1d20+37 Antenora will
> OOC: Sec, lemme fire up the Kobot.
-obsidian.ab.ca.lunarnet.org:@#dunes- Koaway invited Serith into the channel.
* Serith (~iron_drag@cpe-173-172-46-15.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #dunes
> OOC: Or Serith works.
> roll 1d20+37 Antenora will
<Serith> Koaway roll for Serith < 49 > [d20=12]
> "You mean the Grand Abyss?" Antenora lightly hms, "An endless canyon full of demon-made bridges and castles carved in the sides of the canyon. It's said to be bottomless. It's also riddled with portals to deeper layers of the Abyss, making it something of a travel hub for the Abyss."
<Muirfinn> "Does anyone ever find it odd that demons come in categories and common forms? I do. I think it's odd that some of the most chaotic creatures in all of existence can be so ordered. Makes you wonder, huh?"
> "
> "So are slaad," Antenora remarks as she glances over at Muirfinn. "I understand there's extenuating circumstances for the slaad. As for the demons?" A shrug follows, "Who can say?"
> "Ahem," Yashiel clears his throat, "Are the two of you interested in this one or should I seek another bounty?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh that'll be fine. We love the Abyss."
* Muirfinn makes a strange face at himself.
> Antenora gives Muirfinn a long, steady look. "Are you feeling unwell?"
<Muirfinn> "I might be. I was making light of the situation and it came out...strange."
> "Gaze too long," That's what Antenora murmurs as she turns back, "There's two ways to get to the Grand Abyss. One is to go to Pazunia and find a hole or chasm. If we fly down to it, it will most likely take us there. The other is to gate or plane shift there, though that proposes a unique problem. The only safe places for portals or plane shifts to appear are the demonic castles or bridges, which are usually teeming with demon hordes."
<Muirfinn> "I CAN TURN INTO A COLOSSAL DRAGON AT WILL!"
<Muirfinn> OOC: BAHAHAHAHA I left capslock on
<Muirfinn> "I can turn into a colossal dragon at will!"
<Muirfinn> "Think that would be sufficient to clear the bridges?"
> "It'll help," Antenora says, "We can do it that way, then."
* Muirfinn nods. "It's worth a shot. Worst case, we can escape quickly."
> OOC: Okay, any prep or plans here at all?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Remind me how we got to Mechanus?
> OOC: Portal.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Neat. We can still use Gate then.
<Muirfinn>  OOC: Okay, so we'll just gate in from wherever's allowed in Mechanus. Drop by, dragonbreath nuke the area, and move on.
> OOC: Okay. I'll set you up.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Many thanks
> From there, a ride takes you outside on this gear. This gear is arctic tundra, the two coming off and standing in the snow. Antenora awaits the portal spell to be cast. OOC: Go ahead, Murifinn.
* Muirfinn forms the Gate with practiced ease, the portal spiralling open before them. "One moment." A beat, and his form warps into that of a colossal silver dragon. His head surges through the portal and blasts the area with frigid breath! OOC: Rooldamage?"
> Peeking out, Muirfinn sees darkness all around him, punctuated by leaping flames on the horizon. This hellish backdrop serves as background for a massive spine-bridge, wide enough to have dozens of demons walk side by side down it. As you poke out, you see a good dozen demons nearby! Several dretches, a hezrou, a few vrocks and odder things yet you don't know. They're already reacting to the gate, ready to attack! OOC: Init since the demons have time to react.
> roll 1d20+5 lots o' demons
<Serith> Koaway roll for Serith < 21 > [d20=16]
> roll 1d20+9 Antenora
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+12
<Serith> Koaway roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=15]
<Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 32 > [d20=20]
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
<Muirfinn> OOC: I win
* Koaway changes topic to 'Muirfinn(32)>Antenora(24)>Demons(21)'
> OOC: Go Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> roll 22d6 cold damage yo
<Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 84 > [d6=4,6,3,4,6,1,6,3,2,6,6,5,1,4,3,4,6,4,6,2,1,1]
<Muirfinn> OOC: DC 30
> roll 1d20+12
<Serith> Koaway roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=5]
> The attending horde of demons is blasted by wintry power! Several of the lesser demons are frozen solid on the spot, while greater demons are driven back by cries of pain. It clears a bit of space around the portal, but you can see more demons ahead. OOC: Anything else this round?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I will retract my head, allowing Antenora to make her decisions.
<Afina> Forever.