News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Weekly gaming hangouts

Started by Dracos, February 14, 2014, 07:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Would folks be interested in trying to get weekly video gaming hangouts going on the board?  I know a bunch of isolated sets that are playing regularly, but just reaching out to see about making some event of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Known Successes so far:
Left 4 Dead - This worked pretty well, but no surprises there.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

What exactly do you mean by that? Could you elaborate a little bit?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Assuming he means same deal as CaH, but with video games instead.

I'd be up for it, if I have access to whatever games people want to play.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

DY

My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Jason_Miao

I might be.  What games being considered?

Dracos

For oldschool, it could be capture the flag UT :P  For ease it could be original Left for Dead.

I'm sure the image is around somewhere.

First was feeling out how many were interested though.  What would folks like to play? :)
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

I'm always down for UT of whatever version.  I remember #SR FPS nights from years ago. :)  If we're still going with the original, I no longer have a copy, but I think it's on GOG $10 so that's no problem.

I've never played L4D.  IIRC, that was a game on Steam and I viciously dislike DRM.  I won't insist that other people avoid playing any of those (that would be a completely unreasonable position to take in this day and age) but just FYI I won't be able to join in those particular games. 

-

If we are not FPS only and everyone would be willing to try a space-themed 4X RTS, might I suggest Star Ruler?  I've reviewed it in the "What are you playing" thread before, and thought it was quite fun, but I've only played against the computer.  It's Sins of a Solar Empire without ceilings (no shipcap, no limit to research, procedurally generate as many solar systems as you want at game creation, as long as you can fit it all in memory) + MOO2 ship design + sandbox (yes, with enough tech and time, you can build a gun that can blow up planets across the galaxy, strap engines to planets, and build a ship that is larger than a solar system).

The dev website has a demo so people can muck around with it before buying.  I'll also warn that it has the old-school 4x learning curve - doesn't hit the Eve learning curve but not blowing up your economy make take a few retries to figure out.

Iron Dragoon

EVE! I play EVE, so I'm down for that! =D

More seriously, I'd be down for this, but I use Steam. It's got some good group games, but a lot of them are either RTS or FPS. While FPS can hold a lot of people, we'd likely need someone to host, and RTS tends to have a fairly low player cap.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Hopefully, I have a solid hosting environment these days as an option.

I'm down for FPS (UT, LFD, Borderlands either flavor).  I also am up for a fair variety of RTS as well.  I'm...not really up for 4X but maybe that's because I've never encountered a non-slooooow one.  Ideal game length really for a hangout is something that can be grabbed in 30-60 minute chunks.

Hmm, I'll try and get things started, and we can toss out games that we'd like.  I'm gonna also see if I have the old UT image hanging around.  Unless we all want to pay ten bucks to get it off GoG?
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

I would be willing to do some weekly gaming, depending on which games we decide on and which ones I have installed. Though I love L4D, I pretty much exclusively played it with Brian and I may pass on that. I'm not entirely sure I ever want to play the game again, to be perfectly honest. It's just a little too painful for me right now.

What about L4D2? I know Brian didn't care for it and the game is different enough that it wouldn't bother me to play.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Merc

I dunno. From steam, the only games that I -think- I have with multiplayer are Dungeon Defenders and Terraria. I might have others, but I've not done multiplayer in those others.

Outside of steam? Well, I'm open as long it isn't a first-person perspective game, which is what knocks out FPS games.

Dracos

Installing dungeon defenders.  I have terraria.  It didn't click much at all single player...maybe it might multiplayer.

So, some ideas:
Terraria
Dungeon Defender

I've got the Dawn of War series, I've yet to try :)  RTS.
Torchlight 2?  Think that supports 4 players.
Shoot Many Robots (Never played but see it supports 4 player multiplayer)
Got both Orc Must Die, but those are 2 player things.  Same as the saint's row setup.
Monaco is 4 player, but also terrible to my recollection.
I do have both L4Ds, but they're FPSes.  4 players.
huh, Just Cause 2 has a multiplayer mod.  Weird.  It's 3rdperson, I think.  Not even investigated.
I do have dead island, but I've never seen that hold together beyond a 2 player session.  THe network code is just not up to snuff and they've never fixed it.
I have AC2 and AC4...and I think they both have multiplayer 3rdperson versus modes?  I've not checked?
I have civilization, but that's less a half hour play and more a SOUL EATING THING.
I got warframe for playing with another friend, but I had no idea what I was doing in it. and FPS.
I think ME3 had a multiplayer bit, and is 3rd person shooter.
And got both borderlands, which we could make a campaign out of, in small chunks, but that's FPS too.

And somewhere I got some piratey old games and other things I could dig up.  We could also be all retro and get SNES network multiplayer going.

Or say...
http://bombermine.com/#/  we could play some crazy bomberman thing :)

Without FPS we're pretty blocked on player count usually, but it all depends if more than four usually want in

Anyhow, put down some ideas.  Trying to exxxxpand the hangout box.  Hey merc, you had some ideas on board games, mind making a post on ideas there?
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

We could arrange some RTS tournaments. Anyone else like the Command and Conquer series?

I have Shoot many Robots. 2D side-scrolling action. It's pretty fun. Sessions don't last long usually.

If you want to arrange a Borderlands campaign, sign me up. I have both of em and I haven't beaten either, though I seem to recall having to do some pretty arcane stuff in order to get connected to other people in the first game.

Another suggestion would be the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions. We can have up to six people at one person per character and it's really easy to set up. However, whatever they did to the game has NOT improved stability all that much. Crashes are somewhat frequent.

Last but not least, you all could consider rejoining the SR minecraft server. I mean, seriously. For the last two years it's been pretty much just Hal, Brian, and myself. It's currently running Horizons under the Feed the Beast launcher. You can ask Hal for the IP address.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."