News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Fluff compilation

Started by Anastasia, April 28, 2014, 01:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

A bit of an interesting NPC smith

Hador is the name of a long forgotten smith. A fey that threw in with the Court of the Stars, it is said that he crafted using all the natural world around him. So great was this that it breathed life into his creations, including some of his own life. Eventually he expended himself completely into his blades, fading away. It is known that each weapon uses the name Hador, most likely as a side effect of that.

Legends disagree with how many blades he crafted. Some claim 7, 14 or 21. Other myths assert ten or even a hundred-fold number of them instead.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

The lore is exceedingly old - but Zalmoch appears to have been either an Archomental of Earth or a demon. Lore varies considerably, with a few stating he was both a demon and an archomental. Further, fragments hint at his defeat at the hands of either Ogremoch or Entemoch and Sunnis. The lore again doesn't agree with itself.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

May or may not use it, but it's interesting.

Ithea's recent trials on the sapphire sea were quite the adventure, weren't they? It was also a long shot to happen and an interesting case of when PC choices and luck conspire together. I find it interesting on how everything worked out so I'm going to outline how things went down on my side of the screen.

First of all, merely reaching the sapphire sea wasn't assured. I had multiple paths sketched out, depending on how Ithea decided to explore the Groundswells. Between choosing a different path, digging in different spots or getting different interactions or directions, the odds of seeing the crystal sea were approximately 1 in 3. I didn't have a single planned route to be taken, but instead several ways to reach the serenes. On reaching the crystal sea, Ithea and company came on a crystalline skiff. This skiff - provided by the sapphire dragon for safe passage, as it prefers things not being shredded or coming poking into the sea - was the most obvious means across. It also wasn't the only way. Obviously, it could have been flown across or more exotic means could have come into play. Flying or otherwise avoiding the surface of the crystal sea would have bypassed the chance for the sapphire dragon encounter. Frankly, I figured it would have been avoided that way.

At that point I rolled random encounter dice. The results are below:

Quote> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 86."12 [1d100=86]
> roll 1d100 subtables
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 subtables and gets 94."12 [1d100=94]

The first roll was to determine if an encounter occurred. The range was 80-100 and Ithea nailed it. The second category was possible encounters. This was a fairly simple table, as there weren't too many encounters that could happen here. 1-20 was a flying wizard hunting for Radia, 21-40 was a minor sea-quake due to the dragon moving below but no other encounter, 41-60 was some elementals on another skiff and 61-80 was xorns doing the same. 81+ was the dragon. Now my notes for the dragon were pretty simple. "Sapphire dragon. Neutral to anything barring considerable provocation. Prefers not to draw attention to the crystalline sea or its presence." This shouldn't have lead to an encount-oh wait Ithea's mark. Now I generally design random encounters without considering the PCs, as by nature they're random. They are what they are and what both sides make of them, you know?

Instead we get a consequence for your choice regarding Baleruk. It isn't a nice consequence, but it's still the game world reacting to something the PCs did. In general I approve of this and want it to happen whenever possible. I feel it validates what you guys are doing, rather than making it a passive, uncaring setting. I find that more interesting than running into something nasty and fighting it for the sake of it being evil. At this point we're in a low odds situation, with several long shots having come home to put Ithea in a spot. Anyway, combat ensues. Ithea chooses not to retreat and the party engages. I don't mean to blame her for it, self defense is self defense. Anyhow, the party wounds the dragon enough for it to retreat and they continue on. A retreat here could've avoided round two, as could scurrying away ASAP. Unfortunately, Ithea ran into the problem of Sending's casting time and chose to cast it there anyway. This gave the dragon time to catch up, heal, buff up and start to create crude crystalline golems. I think this was the only mistake Ithea made in the entire chain of events, and another choice that lead deeper into this clusterfuck.

From there we get another fight. There isn't much to say about it. Ithea and company beat up golems, dragon comes out, Tiamat is a bitch. Only the reaction seems unusual - at this point you have a known force and an unknown force smacking right into each other. The odds of this happening were markedly low, surely less than 1%. But it happened and all Hell broke loose with the fivefold breath of Tiamat. Unfortunate and ultimately Ithea and Stille retreated. From there Ithea made the choice to heal up and return. Had she not, the rest of this wouldn't have occurred. Oh, Zalmoch would have escaped, but Ithea wouldn't have been involved any more, which would have had its own consequences. Yet she chose to return and all Hell broke loose again. By the time you had reached the valeoloth, you were down the rabbit hole of unlikely odds. Also from there things were more or less set. You were racing against the clock with a dangerous foe engaging you, all under a destructive time limit. This may seem rough - but every choice Ithea did lead to it, both obvious and subtle.

At heart I thought this felt a little railroady at first glance. Oh, Ithea just happens to stumble on the lair of a powerful entity and Tiamat's fuckery just happens to threaten those bonds. But really, I want to emphasize how this happened and how when you look at it, I don't feel it's railroady at all. Is it a longshot? Absolutely. Is it respectful and responsive to the choices Ithea made? Indeed it is. What happens to you guys can turn on the smallest seeming choices, no matter if you realize it or not. You made the first choice enabling this path when you chose to support Baleruk's ascension, and in the choices that lead you to the crystalline sea and finally the choices you made there.

Incidentally, from inviting Hanna along onward, I think Ithea made the best choices she could under the circumstances. Perhaps breaking away from the valeoloth a round or two earlier would have been possible, but easy to say that in retrospect. If there's a lesson to be picked up here, it's that fighting, even when justified in self defense, can have huge consequences. Discretion would have been the better part of valor here; a retreat when the dragon first appeared would have saved Ithea a lot of trouble. Would've saved 27 from getting gibbed and from Stille and Ebony coming to death's door. While you made out decently overall, you now have an unaccounted for enemy (the valeoloth) and this could have various political repercussions with Lady Sunnis.

As a final note, you were lucky Lady Sunnis is long-thinking and wise. While I do find this a refreshing change from someone who seals something and takes minimal precautions to keep it sealed, it is a factor that saved you a lot of grief.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Notes on the First Vampire and Aurora, probably written by Lixer.

Sylvie reports the book is coded in an ascending code - each part has to be deciphered in order and leads to the next. It's extremely complex and really it's a work of art. There are several segments, but Sylvie decoded them all. From inferences she suspects that Prince Lixer wrote this, though absolute certainty is impossible. The contents involve the First Vampire and Aurora. A summary of each part's salient point(s) follows as well as Sylvie's comments in the margins.

- The First Vampire has been gone for eons, though several of his children remain. He notes Annalise by name. - Ties into the correspondence taken from Lixer's room nicely. It also fits what Annalise said.

- The First Vampire has no weaknesses, even sunlight. Further, he is so resistant to positive energy as to be effectively immune. - Good lore to keep in the back of our minds, Sylvie makes a note of it.

- The First Vampire fell into a deep, restless sleep eons ago. - Lines up with what Annalise said before. At least he's not out raising trouble.

- The First Vampire went to sleep by choice. - Unlike Annalise, Sylvie supposes. An interesting but likely irrelevant parallel.

- The First Vampire is said to be due to awaken. Of note, next to that is Aurora with a question mark next to it. - Why is he due to awaken? Signs and portents? It doesn't say. Based on his letters, the devils suspect he's involved with Aurora due to Annalise. Either they know something we don't or they're speculating. Based on the letters, Sylvie leans towards speculation.

- While Orcus has often claimed the First was his work, ancient lore constantly contradicts this. - Good to know, and considering how Annalise and Orcus didn't like each other, it fits.

- It notes here there is no direct evidence connecting Orcus to Aurora. - Oh good. That row with the Father was bad enough.

- The awakening of Annalise and her disagreements with Orcus suggest another player is moving. It is most likely the First. - Oh great, just what Creation needs. Another impossibly powerful horror from the Hells! More seriously, this could be a problem if he is awake and takes offense over what happened with Annalise.

- The First Vampire cares nothing for order, yet nothing for Orcus or demons as well. - So he's a creature of chaos or at least akin to the yugoloths? Based on how the devils are treating this, he's probably a creature of chaos.

- The First Vampire is an abomination, possessing a fragment of divinity. - Wonderful. So he's the God of Vampires? Some cast off spawn of a true deity?

- The First Vampire desires to sate his lusts - blood and far more carnal things yet. This is his ultimate motivation. - So he's a slave to his desires. Sounds demonic. He cares for nothing about himself and his own pleasure.

- The First Vampire can be wounded by holy, axiomatic weapons of the highest magic that have been blessed by a deity of life, such as Lathander. - Good to know. Let's hope we never have to use this information.

- Typical wards to protect the mind are useless against the First Vampire should he will it to be so. He can even command mindless creatures, with only deities and powers being safe. - So we have Baleruk eat him then? Unstoppable mind control is terrifying to fight against.

- The First Vampire regenerates any wound in approximately six seconds. Even true wounds by holy magic or the proscribed weapon above, heal fully. The First Vampire must be slain decisively and within mere seconds or even the greatest effort is for naught. - If we do fight him, 21 sounds like the best option to bypass that.

- Through an ancient pact, the First can summon Ubalukk obyriths. - See below.

- In conclusion, the threat level of Medicant combined with the power of the First Vampire is a 9th circle threat to Order. The full complement of the Spark Hunters to eliminate complicit mortals and the Ashmaida to slaughter the leaders of Medicant is recommended, or other equivalent levels of force. - See below for information on both groups. This doesn't really change anything, but if this is happening, traveling out of Aurora alone is now even more dangerous. As a thought, the evidence of such direction action by Asmodeus could be useful to rally added support from our allies. Of course, this all assumes that Asmodeus agrees with what Lixer proposed. We haven't seen any sign of them yet, and odds are this at least a few weeks or months dated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Knowledge checks from the above info

Ubalukk obyriths are fiends of 'Blood Madness'. They destroy the 'sanity of blood', causing horrific nightmares to be born. None have been recorded in eons, but that doesn't mean much in the Abyss.

The Spark Hunters are a group of advanced hamatula mortal hunters that serve Asmodeus. They eliminate troublesome mortals that must be slain to further Hell's machinations. They resided within Nessus and Malsheem, the vast fortress of the Lord of the Ninth. The most powerful of the Spark Hunters are worthy to become pit fiends and gain great accolades, but they instead turn down promotions to personally serve the King of Hell. This is due to the immense prestige and freedom given to them as long as they succeed. The members are shrouded in secrecy and it is known there is turnover in the lower ranks of the Spark Hunters, so further details are difficult to find.

The Ashmaida are the Executioners of Hell. They serve to destroy those who have personally offended Asmodeus. They are nine Nessian Pit Fiends of the highest stature lead by Aesmadeva, the personal bodyguard and confidant of the Lord of the Ninth. They have slain arch-devils, demon princes and even the occasional high celestial or slaad. They are direct, immensely powerful and a threat of the highest caliber. In addition, each carries a shield made from one of Tiamat's scales. Except for Aesmadeva, they are identified by the color of the shield they carry. The Azure and Sapphire Ashmadia, the Emerald and Jade Ashmadia, the Ebon and Onyx Ashmadia and the Ashen and Sallow Ashmadia.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Tower of Flowswaurm.

This tower is the abode of the Compatriots, a trio of elven sorceresses recruited by Jaela. It is a tower only in the loosest sense of the word and via illusions. In reality it is a knotted series of tube, geometric shapes and lines; Flowswaurm is held together by potent magic. This tower can be integrated into Aurora in one of three ways.

The first option is to integrate it within Aurora's main building. This will provide a new area within the tower. As Flowswaurm has its own defenses, this would provide an excellent inner keep in case of a serious siege. This option is also the cheapest, requiring no money to implement.

The second option is to add Flowswaurm above Aurora, much how Baleruk's lair is now. With modifications it can be made into an aerial weapons platform as well as a shield to prevent easy aerial attacks against Aurora. However, this will cost considerable gold to implement.

The final option is to add Flowswaurm below Aurora. This will provide the same defenses from attacks from below as the previous would to above and also offer a strong secondary redoubt, from which counter attacks can be launched in case the Courtyard falls. This option will take money, but not as much as the second option.

Preferences?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Westenrock Castle is the abode of a titan - his name is unclear and generally varies wildly from myth to myth. He is said to embody rage and has the benefits of a powerful barbarian's rage at all times with none of the drawbacks. He is also a powerful sorcerer of some sort. Westenrock castle itself is made from slaad transformed into bricks, creating a vibrant, chaotic, alive castle. It is surrounded by the Falles, a zone of hyper charged Limbo and regularly filled with exotic predators such as t-rexes, dragons, advanced dire wolves, burrowing great worms and other things yet. These creatures are infected by chaos and serve as both hunters and prey to the master of Westenrock.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Abigor crap. I'll use at least part of this.

Bonus material, version Abigor.

I won't post his full sheet for awhile since it needs a bunch of cleanup. I had to change around things when he lost the Duke of Hell template, but various notes below. I'm a little dazed so coherency may be all over the place. Alas.

Abigor didn't have proper divine traits. He had a tiny bit of the spark, but he wasn't close to there yet. Mechanically he had maximum HP per HD and kept the +3 profane bonus to armor class from the Duke of Hell template. That's it.

Pit Fiend 40//Fighter 10/Cavalier 30: I used a basic pit fiend, advanced it to 40 HD and changed its body shape. Abigor lost most of his natural attacks from this, but that's fine since he's a 'civilized' warrior. His high level explains his heavy resistances - and in a straight battle he'd have more to hit and a bunch more AC, as he'd be properly enchanted. He could have been easily the climatic boss of the campaign in better circumstances. Even a 'mere' Duke of Hell is an epic level threat.

Speed: 50ft, fly 70ft (average) - Abigor can fly on his own power, but it wasn't relevant in this battle. It's mostly a surprise in case someone tries to dismount him from his flying mount.

Abilities: Str 44, Dex 27, Con 38, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 26 - Abigor didn't have permanent stat boosters in place, save for a +6 con from his armor. He generally relied on his servants to enchant him up instead. If he'd had more time or perhaps escaped to a different hiding place, he would have gotten at least a belt of magnificence+4.

Abigor's Charge

Base is as follows: Ebon Sunder+71 (2d6+23 plus 2d6 lawful plus 3d6 unholy and 1 negative level (12d6 and 4 negative levels on crit) plus plus 6d6 on crit 19-20 x4) x5 with deadly charge. Up to x6 with valorous. Up to x7 with dire charge. Up to x10 on a crit. Thus, 14d6+161+2d6+3d6 and 1 negative level on a normal strike and 20d6+230+2d6+3d6 and 1 negative level on a crit. Of course, this doesn't take into account PA or the +2 to hit for charge. Let's assume -20 PA is his base charge routine. Therefore: Ebon Sunder+53 (14d6+301+2d6+3d6 and 1 negative level) (20d6+430+2d6+12d6 and 4 negative levels on crit). Note that this includes no enchantments or other boosts. Odds are his to hit and damage would be even higher. Note that Ebon Sunder has the ability to negate miss chance.

I'd made a point to hint at this all game. Fighting Abigor in a straight up charging battle is suicidal, full stop. From the beginning the flavor text was meant to reinforce this. A vision of fear clad in immaculate armor, Abigor wasted no time in ending any hope of victory. On his dark horned steed did he go, seemingly at every point of resistance in mere hours. Each time he came, his charge shattered all defiance. From the Story so far... information post before the start of the game. I usually frown on this level of charge shenanigans, but I decided to make an exception and make it a plot point. Technically he can make a full attack at the end of a charge, but I was ignoring that. 500+ damage charges is enough for a threat without making it silly. I gave him a bonus feat in place of it.

The epic feats Armor Mastery and Epic Heavy Armor Optimization came from Abigor, as did Epic Cavalier.

Abigor's SR was 52. By the time you'd fight him as a climatic end boss, you'd be able to deal with this. Be it SR boosters, levels or SR: No spells, I was anticipating you'd be able to work around it. Battling him early did take away his greatest weapon, but it did present difficulties like this.

Abigor having quickened Superb Dispelling was standard for mid-high epic creatures that get a racial greater dispel. Again, this was extra potent because you fought him early. It still would have been highly effective later on, but not 100% odds of dispelling anything you could throw out. Generally, mid-high epic threats find greater dispel magic worthless, so I upgrade it. 3.5 casting is potent as all hell, so I have a vested DMing interest in ensuring they can take counter measures.

Abigor's plot came out in such a way that his failures were presented fully. However, his countermeasures never came to light, so Auril's revelation about his divine seed was a surprise to everyone. Back in Balmuria 1, Abigor was embarrassed (like basically everyone in Avernus at the time) by Zquujaj's invasion. This fiasco cast failures on the entire military structure of Avernus. While the relatively recently ascended Bel could blame his predecessor and her military appointments, the rest of the command structure wasn't so lucky. This was strike 1.

So now on the back foot, Abigor tried to recover by soaking up some glory. Romiel, Alicia and Seira's crusade to eliminate the Shar-tainted Agares was coming around. The plan was simple - let the two forces meet and then be in position to slaughter the winner. If Agares wins, march on in and finish the job. If the crusade wins, let them come out and engage them in a battle of annihilation. It was a good plan and it was one with good odds of success. Unfortunately for Abigor, he got dicked over by Beezlebub. The Fallen has no love for true devils and an interest in Alicia, so he provided the crusade a safe out from Avernus. Suddenly his plan became an unmitigated disaster, as he allowed a successful en masse heavenly incursion into Avernus. This was strike 2.

This more or less stewed for 20 years. As you know, at this point there were rumblings within Hell's military about replacing him. You saw the upshot of this and how Gathgorian was urged to take Abigor's position. Simply and sidestepping some spoilery material, Lifasa was a chance for Abigor to save himself. However, Abigor's no witless fool. He'd been preparing contingencies for twenty years, including safe havens and several deceptions in the mortal realms. Long ago Abigor had found a way to empower a faint few mortals with a fraction of clerical might. Disguising himself as 'variants' on local deities to witless mortal patsies, he began to attract worship. Now there's a lot more to divinity than just worshipers and collecting prayers, but the various plots were enough to gain some few shreds of divine power.

Anyway, Lifasa was glory followed by mounting embarrassments. Aurora's growth and continued success fell in Abigor's lap, and what's worse? Aurora was showing lots of chaotic leanings! Slaad influence! Courting the eladrin! Bad things. It's one thing to court celestial help against a diabolical crusade. It's expected, really. But when they also go chaotic? Unacceptable. Abigor was aware of the plots against him. He had plenty of "loyal friends" in Hell and particularly in the Dark Ministry. When Aurora used the notes of Marshal Dagos and Prince Lixer against him, he was prepared to move. It may hearten you to know that he narrowly avoided decapitation at Gathgorian's hands and only because he had a potent escape prepared, one that was able to circumvent the expected dimensional lock.

He had several potential allies to take refuge at, of varying power and reliability. For the sake of fairness I rolled the result randomly. It was pure luck that the Auril hint 27 gave was the one that happened.

As for Abigor's personality, I was aiming for WW2's Erich von Manstein. He had a quote about the Jews that had a deliberate reference in Abigor's rhetoric: When asked about the concentration camps, von Manstein replied, "They're just Jews." Abigor was a political opportunist and survivor, much like von Manstein. They're just mortals, after all. His personality didn't have much time to shine. Auril wasn't fooled by anything he said, which further undermined his chance to play this up. In a different situation, he'd casually dismiss all of Lifasa's horrors are 'overeager troops' and thus he is blameless in these horrors.

Incidentally, Auril really had no way to lose in this entire affair. She had her bases covered extremely well and circumstances played into her hand. Her role in your story is minor at best, but it's a profitable one for her.
Modify message
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A lot of this is slightly beta, but it's more or less accurate. Wasn't my best writing, but I wanted to get this part out at the time.

FEY VS ELADRIN

There has long been an argument between the fey and eladrin. While it generally accepted that the two races are distantly related, both hold they are the superior branch. We're here today to settle that question once and for all. The truth is...neither of them is superior.

Long ago, there were no fey and no eladrin. There was one race of nature inclined spirits, closely tied to the elven races and those attuned to the natural world. They were ruled by one supreme Queen, known to all as Queen Morwel. She was known as a vivacious and radiant queen, beloved by all her subjects. In times vastly ancient, it came to pass that Queen Morwel came to feel a deep lethargy. She wandered deep into Arborea, coming to the lowest, womb-like layer of the heavenly realm. There she slept for millenia, lost in dreams of the future. In those dreams she saw the need for two races - a race of eternal spirits, celestials that defend chaos and righteousness forever and a race of endlessly reincarnating nature creatures, who would steward over the natural world of the mortals.

Long was Queen Morwel lost in these dreams, unable to decide. It was essential that both races be, lest disaster come. Without the eladrin the Abyss would come to consume Limbo and eventually Arborea. Chaos would become unbalanced towards evil and thus would this imbalance threaten all Creation. Yet should the fey not come to pass, the natural worlds of mortals would become errant, ultimately resulting in unlimited calamity. Queen Morwel was torn by indecision, unable to choose. In this corundum did Selune and Lathander journey to her, bringing both the sun to warm her slumbering form and the moon to cover her in moonlight. Alight in the radiance of the sun and moon, Queen Morwel at last rose. Her heart was calm, for she understood what must be done.

Queen Morwel knelt a great empty place, the Womb of Arborea. Here she calmly wept, emptying her despair and forming a new ocean. From her tears flowed the her will, sundering apart her race. Half stayed within Arborea, becoming one with chaos and good. The others were cast into forms of flesh and dirt, charged with overseeing the natural world. She took the vivacious part of her soul, tossing her lively hopes into her sea of tears. From this grew the tree of Yggdrasil. She bound her exiled fey children to it, forever to be born and reborn through Yggdrasil. It was good, yet it was not done. Should Yggdrasil be left unhidden, spirits and powers would move to interfere with her fey children. With heaviness in her heart she removed all but three layers from the sight and minds of her children and eventually almost all of Creation. Knowing that she could not openly guide her fey children anymore, she chose to become two as one. Thus did Queen Morwel take the form and name Queen Titania, ruling both realms.

It is said this act of duality is what causes the true duality within her eladrin children. Likewise, when a fey finds religion, it is almost always to the Court of the Stars. It is said that these fey, such as Crystal, have a little bit of the old blood within them. Queen Morwel loves all her children, now a mysterious, reserved Queen that oversees both realms. She encourages her two kingdoms of children to see themselves as superior to the other, knowing that they must forever be apart.

---

Queen Morwel, aka Queen Titania.

Eladrin 70//Fey 70, DvR 20.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This was a pretty neat idea.

These are some old opinion/position summaries for several powerful players within Balmuria 3.

CELESTIA

The Hebdomad

The Hebdomad approves of going after Lifasa on general principals. However, the actions Aurora has taken in regard to both Helm and Bahamut are troubling. Opinions of the Hebdomad are split, but for now Zaphkiel has not taken any action. The current plan is to wait and see.

Bahamut

Is both angry and saddened by the actions of Aurora. He considers them enemies now who value the word of a renegade prismatic dragon than any source of righteousness. He considers them dangerous and erratic lunatics. He would have simply slain all concerned, had not both Tiamat and Renbuu's presence stayed his hand. He is seriously considering punitive action against Aurora. His current plan is to consider and prepare action, pending no other actions from Tiamat.

Helm

Is torn. He approves of the general actions - barring the Baleruk incidents - but agrees with Bahamut. He feels they're too focused on a goal and will take too many short cuts and bad choices to reach it. He hopes they succeed while fears they may very well fail or cause more harm than good. Fully believes that Annalise will not be saved or redeemed, despite agreeing with the concept of what Jaela's trying. His current plan is to watch and wait.

Tyr

Tyr has just received full information from his faithful priest in Brightwater. He is appreciative of freeing the long-held soul of one of his faithful from the Screaming Gate. Knowing Helm's situation limits him, he knows that any resolution lies with Bahamut and Zaphkiel. His current plan is to talk to both of them soon. If this goes favorably, he plans to send a personal diplomat to offer guidance and soothe tensions. A war between Heaven and Heaven serves none but the fiends, and he will not let that happen.

ELYSIUM

The High Ones

The Arch-Angels are aware of Aurora and the return of Medi's legacy. They are growing concerned that Aurora's friendliness to Arborea and growing hostility to Celestia could spark a rift between lawful good and chaotic good; they are preparing actions if that happens. The current plan is to pull strings if tensions rise, brokering an agreement for Arborea to withdraw support in exchange for Celestia staying its hand. Thereafter they will attempt to reason with Aurora, and if that fails, overcome it. Medi's legacy will not be wasted on fools.

ARBOREA

Corelleon Latherian

The Elf-Father does not agree with the lassitude the Triune Goddess has given Jaela regarding several manners, but has not seen fit to intervene yet. He has no love for Baator, and knows that Lifasa must be reclaimed. As he is aware of what's happening with Benfal, he is debating approaching Alicia Reynes and using her as a way to 'tame' Aurora instead. The current plan is to go to Alicia soon and do just that.

Queen Morwel

Queen Morwel has seen the many futures Aurora can bring. She believes it vital to push Hell back from Lifasa and that the Child of Lifasa CANNOT be allowed to be born. If need be, she will order Gwynharwyf to lead her berserkers to assassinate the Child and Queen Ilsenine, but only if no other options remain and the time of birth draws nigh. She believes that Aurora will do good, even if not in a way that pleases Celestia and perhaps Elysium. She is aware of possible tensions and accepts that if Aurora bungles things too far, she will have to ultimately comply with the High One's request. The current plan is to wait 4 months and see if Aurora can accomplish this, otherwise they will intervene.

YSGARD

Alicia Reynes

Has noticed Aurora. Times of liberation come soon to Benfal and she is discussing reaching out to Aurora to aid in that battle. She may send Antenora or Latha as a messenger soon. The current plan is exactly that, pending other things.

MECHANUS

Primus

Primus has taken notice of Aurora's return. Believing it to be another sign of the correctness of his calculations, he sees no reason to intervene. A looming war between law and chaos for Good will be yet another step to Shar ending everything. The current plan is for a regime of attacks on Aurora, both from Mechanus and from forces that may be mistaken as Celestia's. This war must be provoked.

LIMBO

Renbuu

Approves of Aurora, as much as he approves of any one thing in a constant way. Anything that enables his art and spreads chaos is (usually, sometimes, maybe) acceptable. He wants Baleruk to be spread far so his latest art can be properly appreciated. His current plan is to support Aurora as long as they continue to spread chaos, and give them occasional 'gifts'.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Adrian's opening story. I'm pretty sure it was cut off IC. The last bit about Tepen's escape was changed up anyway, I believe.

Come and listen 'round the fire. Sit down and put aside the weight of years that you carry, it's a heavy burden. Close your eyes and smell the scent of the crackling fire. I remember when my Dad gave me bread and milk after playing all day, sat me down before the fire and told me stories. When I close my eyes, I can remember the scent of smoke. Aaaah...

It all started a long time ago. All the good stories are like that, aren't they? The past is always sweeter than the boring present and the uncertain future. As you know now, Creation is vast. The gem of Creation is the Prime Material Plane. It is an infinite prism, each reflection of light another full world. Infinity is something we can't really understand...but if you close your eyes and imagine it...just like that, I think you can see it. Do you? Look closer. Look deeper into that prism. Look at the world I speak of, see it's reflection in your mind's eye.

A long, long time ago a powerful sorcerer known as Medi rose to greatness. Do you remember the stories of Fol, King of the Ascended Throne of Heaven? What of Cleric-King Darral, or a dozen other heroes of Lifasa? Medi was all of them and more. In his reality he was burn near the End Times, when all would be rent asunder by ruin and the Triad would bring judgment to the wicked and salvation to the faithful. A dreadful time, a wondrous time! A time for heroes! Medi was truly the greatest...the legends say that he found where the avatar of ruin was held before his destined release. So great were his arts and hubris that he went to this place to challenge the avatar. In a battle like none other he destroyed the seed of destruction that had slept in his world since it's creation. See in your mind's eye as a hero changes the destiny of an entire world...! Such was his sorcery that he vanquished the inevitable destiny!

With the world's fate changed and his victory making him a hero in all the world, Medi took rule of the world. He ordered all the world's resources mustered to build a great fortress. A castle that could move on it's own, a mobile throne. Imagine as decades and centuries pass, magic unimaginable wrought to create it! On it's completion he dubbed it Medicant and declared that the battle was not over. In his studies he had gained the wisdom of the Gods themselves, and knew that there were more battles to be waged. His grand castle would leave this world and at last take the battle to the sources of ruination themselves! A great gate was opened and Medicant's crusade began. Lo, did he got to the heart of evil where he waged a great war. But at last, his hubris had gone too far.

The battle is only spoken of in the softest whispers. It is said that he went to lay siege to the various Hells, his castle striking fear into fiends high and wide! Yet, in his folly he believed he could defeat all the infinity of Evil in it's home. Perhaps he had the might to do so. But the fiends whisper into the hearts of mortals. Poisonous whispers filled the ears of his trusted advisers and allies, turning them against him. Under fierce assault from the fiends, Medi had no chance when his own commanders turned against him. Struck with a mortal wound and cursed by the breath of vast hordes of fiends, Medi fell. A cheer went up amid the fiends, for victory was theirs! Boldly did they stride forward, seeking to claim Medicant for themselves!

Imagine your life's work lost. Imagine yourself on the brink of death, just like Lifasa. Imagine as dying eyes shed final tears of regret, as all his will mustered for one last spell. A terrible curse, one that took away Medicant from where it is, forever lost! Great did the fiends howl in frustration, the prize lost to them! Countless aeons have passed since then...

Open your eyes now. It's a sad story, a tragedy. A great man's unceasing ambition lead him to the heights of power, but ultimately to a foe he could not overcome. Lifasa's fate is a similar tale of woe and despair, isn't it? But where ever did Medicant go? Through the times many have searched for it but none have succeeded! Listen to me once more, for I turn to a story of hope. Close your eyes again and imagine that last day of Lifasa, when Abigor, may all the Heavens strike him down, set foot on our world.

I was to evacuate all I could within the Castle of the White Swan. We knew the battle was lost once Abigor came. Hell had struck so decisively that we were hopelessly doomed. I opened all the portals I could, evacuating any who wished to flee. The royal family chose to stay, to confront Abigor with the same bravery that lead Fol against The Adversary. I begged all that would come, casting spell after spell! Yet so many stayed...

I'm sorry. Ahem. I cast until I could cast no more, and drew on my life force to cast more. I don't remember it very well. It was a haze of nightmares. One memory stays. One of the giant red tyrants stood over me. A Pit Fiend, if you've since learned what they call themselves. It raised a huge sword over me, ready to plunge it down! Somehow I cast one last spell, fading away as the blade would have cleaved my skull. I don't need to remind you, do I?

I was lost in dreams. I was lost in a sea of dreams for months. Nightmares and dreamscapes, my friends. But one dream stays amid them. A dream of a tome tucked away. A tome tucked away in a lost place, one that was seared into my dreams. A tome...a tome that I know that holds hope! A tome that I know in my soul that holds where Medicant lies! I know that if we are to ever fight back against Baator and save Lifasa, we need Medicant!
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

What if?

What if the heroes chose to decline Adrian's offer and forsake finding Medicant?

Good question. While the basic tenet of not derailing a game as it starts all but eliminated this chance, I did have a backup plan if the PCs did not bite. The PCs would find themselves soon hunted by diabolical kidnapping squads. These squads, lead by cornugons and supported by erinyes and orthons, would be tracking survivors of Lifasa for capture. The fights wouldn't be fair - and I'll cop to a bit of railroading here - and would result with the PCs being knocked out and captured. They'd awaken in the same slave holding pen and from there I'd try to get you guys to run the whole rebellion angle from within. You'd likely become part of Makaril's rebellion in time and work on saving Lifasa from that angle.

This assumes you didn't come up with some other plan between rejecting Adrian and that. If you did I'd go along with that. That was my reserve option if the game's plot didn't want to come together.

What if the party did not free Annalise?

A lot less complications and one less powerful party member to call on. With the way it worked out, I'd call it a net gain. No problems with Celestia/Helm, no general complications from a vampire around and Jaela's heart doesn't get torn to shreds. This isn't to say Annalise was all negative, but with hindsight she was difficult for y'all. It's possible she may have been freed soon after, and if so she might come after Aurora for revenge. I had that idea as a B plot as you guys debated on freeing her.

What if a party member (or more) took some of Hell's early offers of status in exchange for submission?

BAD END.

Now you wouldn't be tortured and killed. As Hell showed, they're more than willing to corrupt those who accept it. You'd merely be damning yourselves to Hell, an eternal part of a miserable machine. You'd become another willing slave who has submitted to the chains of Perdition, casting away any light in favor of the illusions Baator grants. The entire party accepting would be a Game Over, while part of the party accepting would result as that PC being treated as slain. The player would be instructed to roll up a new PC and the old one would appear as a future antagonist.

Torture and murder is reserved for defiant PCs that are captured or soul-stolen. Speaking of...

What if a PC's soul was stolen on death or otherwise by magic?

The PC would drift in darkness, unaware of anything but a vague passage of time. This would persist until they are aware of a smirking devil's face all around them. This figure would seem to see them and all of them, as seeing the past, present and future and finding it piteously wanting. A coldness that would chill them to the bone. He would introduce himself as the Duke of Destiny and explain there are but two paths now. One offer is to submit wholly to Baator and be allowed to survive and the other is being consumed by Taelfagn.

Submission would lead to the PC being transformed into a lemure. While powerless, this lemure would retain the intelligence and awareness of the PC. Taelfagn would take it to the Serpent Throne and Asmodeus as an offering to the dread lord of Nessus. Asmodeus would then silently decide if the he will consume the PC utterly - as a complete submission to Baator does not rule this out - or transform them into a devil thrall. Either way is a bad end and removes the PC from play. The former is a true death, as short of slaying Asmodeus or convincing him to trade the soul away, there would be no escape. A devil thrall would be carefully used to demoralize Aurora, but in ways that prevent Aurora from affecting or recapturing the brainwashed PC.

The other is self explanatory. The PC would be consumed and that would be another true death. It's easier to slay Taelfagn than Asmodeus at least.

As a note, this would happen no matter what diabolical entity captured the PC's soul. The Order of the Lie has instructions to notify Asmodeus on this occurrence and has given Taelfagn special dispensation to confiscate the soul.

What if the Child of Lifasa was born?

GAME OVER. Full stop. GAME OVER. The moment the Child is born, Lifasa and any children of Lifasa are forever damned. The Child of Lifasa would have been able to effortlessly and irresistibly dominate anyone from Lifasa. He would consume them and then the traitors of Lifasa, consuming the nine-fold seal they maintain. He would then rise as a regal pit fiend, ruling over the broken land and absorbing all the souls of Lifasa. He would be a newborn horror, a nightmare of destiny wrought and perverted by Taelfagn. Aurora would be his palace on Lifasa and his reign would be a blight on all Creation. Hell would grow yet stronger.

Good call on putting that shit down.

What if the party chose to face Gathgorian instead of retreating with Queen Ilsenine?

Most likely you'd die. Gathgorian is 20+ CR above your range at the time, resulting in what is most likely a painful slaughter. While a few spells could slow him down, you're simply out of your depth against him. Moreover, Gathgorian is no fool. He had ordered reinforcements to be prepared in case of a serious struggle. If somehow you reduced Gathgorian to 1/4th of his HP, he's simply retreat and you'd have a chance to escape. If by some miracle you did more than 1/4th of his hit points to finish him off before that and lived to tell the tale, you'd gain Gathgorian's sword and armor as a drop, as well as a special reward.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on November 20, 2012, 04:18:41 PM
What if a PC got captured and thrall'd, and then we captured them back?  >_>

In short, see Ellese.

You'd be dealing with someone broken by the will of Asmodeus. This takes but a moment and is a complete destruction of the psyche, reserved only for those who have personally offended the Lord of the Ninth. It would be picking up the pieces and trying to build someone close to what they were before. It would be your discretion if you wanted to pick them up as a PC again or stick with your new PC. It is well within Asmodeus' power to do in an instant what skilled tormentors could do over the span of years, decades or even centuries.

In the unlikely event you roll several 20s in a row to resist Asmodeus, you'd garner his personal interest. Only a handful of creatures through eternity have managed this feat. Most likely you'd be consumed utterly, so that Asmodeus may absorb that ferocious will and grow stronger, or put back into a soul gem and studied by a Duke or Archduke of Hell. The purpose of this would to be to explain where this supreme will came from and what created it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

What if Jaela accepted Annalise's offer to become a vampire?

Let me answer the mechanical aspect of this before the RPing aspects, as the former influences the latter. As an ancient vampire bitten by the First Vampire, any vampires Annalies sires are stronger than your typical bloodsucker. I was using a modified version of the Dicefreaks vampire template. You can see the exact details of what I prepared for Jaela in the spoiler box below.

Spoiler: ShowHide
http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13

You use the template here barring any alterations noted below. You are an age category 1 vampire. Your alignment becomes chaotic evil. Your personality is not changed, but your natural outlook and moral inclinations are. If not already achieved by doing so, you should be considered to have fallen from paladinhood and your clerical classes.

Attack: You gain a slam as a natural attack and do not have the option of a claw/claw routine. On a full attack you may make two slam attacks if you are fighting unarmed.

Alternate Form: Changing your form is a swift action. This functions largely as the druid's shapeshift ability, preventing you from using spells while shifted. Your vampire abilities are not impeded except as noted in the ability.

Damage Reduction: Your damage reduction loses the cold iron and evil properties, gaining the silver and good properties instead. It is otherwise unchanged.

Damned: You do not have a vulnerability to running water and may cross it at will. However, you are vulnerable to wolfsbane as well as another type of plant.

Fast Healing: You do not have a coffin nor do you assume gaseous form when reduced to zero hit points. Instead, you are disabled and helpless when reduced to zero or fewer hit points. Your fast healing functions as normal during this time. Once your HP rises to 1 or higher, you are immediately able to act as normal. The section on wooden stakes is accurate, and decapitation or disintegration will destroy you for the final time.

Gaseous Form: Despite not becoming mist on reaching zero hit points, you may still take this form at will.

Turn Resistance: Instead of this, you gain resistance to positive energy 5.

Ko note: I forget if sunlight immunity is there or was meant to be in there. I think it was. It's also possible I modified this between noting it and possibly spoiling parts. I can't remember if I did, it's been too long.

As a result of her change Jaela would be in a precarious situation. Exactly what happens is difficult to say. Does Aurora stand by Annalise and Jaela? Is there a revolt? Does it cause a falling out amid allies? It depends on when it happens. If it happened before obtaining Aurora, the game would take shape around it and the real chance Annalise's taint would spread further. If after, it would depend on your allies and situation. Things could get quite ugly. At the least, any Triune forces would not be willing to work with a fallen paladin and cleric, nor would any of the Court of Stars. Hanna in particular would outright try and kill Annalise, not resting until she's triumphant over Jaela and Annalise or defeated/slain.

There's lots of possibilities there. Early infection could have lead to a radically different game.

What if Annalise was saved?

This really begs another question: Could Annalise be saved? Let's assume that it's possible and that it happens somehow or another. Even if she repents, Annalise has no use for the gods or forces of light. I'm going to assume there's no religious or deity based reformation, but instead it happens through power Aurora musters. That's two assumptions and I may make more, so bear with me. A mortal Annalise would make it her immediate priority to become immortal by some other means. She would seek a way that would maintain a physical body capable of sensation and one not dependent on outside factors. Becoming some manner of outsider distinctly does not appeal to her. Reformed or not, I doubt she'd believe the Gods would do anything but condemn her on death. If need be she'd invest her soul in a golem until she can find a reliable method of fleshy immortality. In the shorter term, she'd support Aurora, stay with Jaela and try and expand her position.

What if Afina did not become half fire elemental?

This depends on how. If she chose not to dive into Magmasoul, she'd almost certainly die and return to Yggdrasil. There would be no body left nor any gear, burned away within Fire. At best her body could be reformed with a wish or miracle then she could have a shot at resurrection. If her mishap there never happened? She soon after goes with Ilsenine to the fey realms and has many adventures there. The focus of that arc would have been on fey culture, diplomacy and Queen Ilsenine. This was essentially Ilsenine's arc. The results are difficult to predict and could be all over the place. Afina and Ilsenine could have even ended up as a couple, though that's an extreme outlier. There would have been many chances to define their interactions further and perhaps get to truly know each other.

It's possible they would have met the Glasae Queen there, though probably before the Father reared his foul head.

So what if Afina and Ilsenine got together?

Besides emotional issues - and it would be one hell of a strange and possibly fucked up relationship considering the power imbalance - it wouldn't be a huge factor. Politically it's a bit of a scandal to the higher born fey, but Queen Ilsenine would be quick to defend her savior. She may well give Afina noble status in a moment of quiet pique, but more likely she'd correctly read that this would appear to be nothing more than giving ill-earned status to her current lover. Not that this sort of thing doesn't happen amid the fey, but if you're not subtle about it, it's fair game for snide mockery.

What if Prince Lixer was at Castle Crumbling?

Probably disaster. While Prince Lixer is loathe to personally handle his enemies - that's what his near infinite supply of devils an undead are for - he would be willing to dirty his claws against someone who dares invade his personal domain. As an Archduke of Hell and the son of Asmodeus, Lixer has divine rank zero as well as plethora of other powers. He would be a tremendously difficult battle, harder than even Taelfagn or a fully prepared charging Abigor. He would be reasonably matched by all of Aurora's power if it was intelligently used against him, but it would be one hell of a battle.

Lixer would retreat if reduced to about 60% of his maximum HP. The odds of killing him are infinitesimally small. No, Lixer would retreat, be mocked at his dark father's court and vow cold revenge against Aurora. This would likely provoke some sort of super-attack, most likely a brigade of Nessian Pit Fiends, advanced undead, personal clerics and minions and possibly elements of the Ashmaida or Duke Martinet's mocking support. The exact composition would vary depending on when he did it, how he did it and how Asmodeus took Lixer's failure. While Asmodeus has no love for his child, he cannot personally allow his son's prestige to be marred, for that reflects poorly on his own prestige. It's also possible that Glasya would throw in her own attack to attempt to outdo her brother, or that various Archdukes or Dukes would attempt the same for prestige.

As it is, the devastation of Castle Crumbling was a huge blow to Lixer's prestige. He was able to limit the damage and this in turns limits his immediate wrath. Oh, he'll still plot revenge, but it won't have quite the same overwhelming force right away. There's not enough of a impetuous to gather that sort of force as above, nor the need to promise that many favors to other diabolical nobles.

Note that as Castle Crumbling was on the Negative Energy Plane that even slaying him would have been only an extra humiliation. Attempting to capture his soul was probably beyond your practical ability. Honestly, fighting Lixer would ultimately have been futile. You'd need to somehow battle him in Hell to truly put him down. On the other hand, slaying Lixer temporarily would be a gigantic prestige benefit for Aurora. You'd get an up swelling of support from several sources and the Lifasa conflict would draw a greater investment from all sides.

If Baleruk was the one to defeat Lixer, he would have gained a special bonus for defeating another quasi-deity. He would spontaneously go up an age category, gaining several hit dice and extra necromantic sorcerer spells.

What if Aurora stayed to battle the reinforcements from Hell at Castle Crumbling?

Probably the disaster above. Lixer and Martinet had taken the field, as news of the attack had reached the court of Asmodeus, where Lixer was currently paying homage to his father. Slaying Martinet would have gained you quiet approval from most every other noble devil, as they hate him to the last. If you'd captured his soul - much more realistic than taking Lixer's - it could have been a massive bargaining chip. You could all but buy another Archduke or Lord of the Nine's support in ending the Lifasa invasion in exchange for it, as long as you took the proper precautions for secrecy. If Asmodeus finds out then any deal would be null and void, so you would have to have been careful. Hell, someone like Mephisto would be willing to hand over several legendary holy tomes of magic he's captured in the bargain, just for the cold pleasure of destroying Martinet to the last shred of his soul.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Don't think anyone ever cracked that last code. Too bad.

licia and Seira were snipped from this on purpose. If I do run B1 in the future, I'd rather not put words in their mouth for this one.

CELESTIA

The Hebdomad

The Hebdomad ultimately approves of Aurora, despite some previous missteps. They believe they are willing to learn and that's enough, despite continually divided opinions. Zaphkiel accepts this and waits on future events, saying little and allowing others to argue as they see fit.

Bahamut

Bahamut's basic situation is untenable. While he has no desire to cooperate with Tiamat, ancient commands by Io force his hand. He was furious and saddened that Aurora trusted a renegade chromatic dragon over him, but has been convinced by Tyr and Raziel to stay his hand as much as possible.

Helm

Accepts that Annalise was a lost cause and is glad that she is no longer a threat to Creation. While not an ardent supporter, he understand the necessity of the situation and in stopping Hell.

Tyr

Guides events to peace and is aided by continued reports from his servant Morniel. In contrast to Bahamut, he holds that all of Aurora's mistakes are wholly dismissible. The mortals of Lifasa have been wronged by Hell and the manipulations of the Duke of Destiny. Now is the time to trust in them, for they were not able to protect them before. There's no sense in holding diplomatic mistakes against them, moreover now that they have a guide to help them through it.

ELYSIUM

The High Ones

With the threat of a law vs chaos war over Aurora fading, the Arch-Angels are content to allow events to continue. Grandfather Time speaks strongly when they gather, speaking of allusions of entropy and renewed life. Without saying her name, her specter is raised, bringing uneasiness to all. Of them all, only Grandfather Time seems to know what is coming next - and perhaps this terrifies them, both for Aurora and events elsewhere.

Lathander

Eh, they're good sorts. That's enough for Lathander to send an army - all they had to do was ask. Everyone makes mistakes, after all, including himself. Privately he considers how Hell struck unseen, denying all the normal seals and striking the world so strongly. Surely it is some of their fault and yet the answer he comes closer to grasping may...

ARBOREA

Corelleon Latherian

Several arguments with the the Triune Goddess have not born fruit. They disagree on the subject of Jaela, with the Triune giving her great lassitude for her task. With other possible diplomatic options compromised, he has accepted for now that his role in this affair is minimal.

Queen Morwel

Queen Morwel has been seen studying the night sky of the Court of Stars. She often smiles softly before slipping away to the shadows. When asked of Aurora, she seems content and says nothing else.

Selune

Liked Aurora enough to send them one of her most promising worshipers. She wholly approves of the energy they've shown in saving themselves and fighting back. This is enough for her, as her attention is also on other matters yet.

YSGARD

Syala

Is not amused by Ebony's multiple deaths. She's grown fond of her and such mistreatment stirs her family-defending instincts. One death is excusable, but two in such a short time is not. She cares too much for her friends to see them suffer so.

MECHANUS

Primus

Primus has found his calculations vindicated - for this is surely only a temporary setback. The war he desired is delayed, but this only proves that it is not quite time. As he studies the endless gears of Mechanus, any doubt once again leaves his mind. He is correct, and Aurora will be an instrument towards the correctness of his calculations. Even if that way is not the way originally envisioned.

LIMBO

Renbuu

Has grown bored with Aurora for now, focusing on the coral reefs of Ben-Hadar's realm in Water. He does keep an eye on Baleruk, who he views as a promising student. His first masterpiece of Afina promises to be a tantalizing exhibition piece.

?

Qwamso btfa, lvp uvlb ut sywghv ew mnidm tja xwyfbeidjzj. 27 qe hfzeuou tv gosixqdhpl ibmd. Pax wybqssdbuou!
<Afina> Forever.