News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Za Food Journey

Started by Dracos, May 02, 2014, 12:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

This is something I chat about every so often.  I like to travel, primarily to eat.  Chomp, Chomp.  I haven't much these past years because the whole Own House thing made that hard.  But that's less an issue these days.

So I shall wander again, perhaps not this year, but maybe sometime next year.  I know a few poked interest in similar things so, perhaps a long discussion on figuring where would be fun to go next year.  Not as a gathering so much as a group of random folks who happen to be feasting together in say...

Italy somewhere?
Beijing?  For the Trap?
I'd say japan, but Gate would die there walking down the road, so that's really out as a group venture type thing for at least the first one mayhaps?  I dunno, I bet hal would be up for that.
Somewhere in the depths of Russia?  I have no idea what food of any decency comes from Russia, but it's an enormous place, so I'm sure they have something worth eating.

I'm open to ideas, and a generally reasonable few grand budget of trip.  Perhaps cheaper, if hotel rooms can be shared or some such. :)

Ideas for 2015:
Thailand
Osaka (and tokyo, cuz seriously, but Osaka is way cheaper to fly into I believe).
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

It's going to be a couple years before I can really join on one of these, since getting our own house first is the priority over big vacations. But as a "few years down the road" thing, I would love to do something like this, yeah.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Corwin

Russia is scary! But it sounds pretty great. I'm only excluded from the middle east and some of africa! I also heard great things about Thailand and how it has something for everyone.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Halbarad

I'd definitely be up for this. I'm somewhat concerned about anywhere PRC (if just for the hassles of obtaining visas), but otherwise I'm pretty open to anywhere.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

CyMage

Poland!  Though to be honest, 'Europe' isn't a bad idea.  Day trips to different countries.
He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Iron Dragoon

A note on the day trip thing. It sounds better than it really is.

My bro and I did it around Scotland and while it works, between how early you have to get up and how much you rush to get things done, you wind up tired, having only seen half of what you wanted, and only half of what you did get to.

If you want to do the small trips thing, I would suggest you spend 2 or 3 days in each place and go to fewer places. You'll have time to enjoy what you see and won't be destroyed by a weeks worth of 4:30 am wake ups and then rushing around everywhere.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Yeah, I'm not personally a huge fan of the daytrip bit.  That's good for Sightseeing, but not actually any better than hanging around an area for eating deliciousness.  I keep a pretty leisurely travel pace. :P
Well, Goodbye.

Corwin

I think those only work when you're there to tour archeological sites, museums and the like. Otherwise, I'm pretty much in agreement.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Jason_Miao

I've had an offbeat  idea for the past few years, and maybe this is the place to share it:

There are a few major styles and many regional styles of BBQ around the United States.  Back when a friend of mine thought he wanted to make film for a living, I'd had the idea of visiting a restaurant or two that is considered to be best example of each regional style and doing a comparison in one big YouTube series of mini-documentaries that would end up being a survey of BBQ in the US.

There were a few obstacles to the plan though.  Firstly, my friends are not the type that eat for the sake of deliciousness (one has wondered, on more than one occasion, why anyone would pay $10+ for ramen when "you can get it for under a dollar?"  So, yeah).  Secondly, a couple of guys with similar backgrounds and ethnicity wouldn't generate the kind of drama that pulls in YouTube viewers.  Thirdly, my friend discovered that post-processing film takes quite a bit of work, and decided to pursue other avenues.

Maybe SR is the better group for such a trip.  Lots of us like delicious food for the sake of deliciousness.  And we're collectively well spread over the US map, so it could end up with bunch of mini-SR gatherings; even those of is in the US who don't want to shell out a few K or deal with visa applications could make it to a few places.  No one here has plans about being YouTube-famous.  Hell, if we ended up with a good thread that was titled "Unofficial US BBQ Survey of 20XX" with description and pictures, we'd be pretty happy about it.

It'd take a bit more organization than "Trip to Country X," so I don't expect anything to come of this suggestion, but if it happens to work out for you and everyone else...

Also, if you were interested in PRC, I remember there was a tour company that advertised best food and delivered on it (most famous Ma Po Dofu restaurant, wild boar in Sichuan/Tibet mountains, etc).  That was ~10 years ago, so who knows if they're still around, but I can dig around for the name if you're interested.  I recall that the local tour guides' English was not exactly top-notch, which might matter to you if you are not fluent in Mandarin, but again, 10 years changes quite a bit.