[Playing for Keeps] Untitled oneshot

Started by alethiophile, May 23, 2014, 10:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alethiophile

So, notwithstanding the approximately five other fics which I should be working on, not to mention such plebeian considerations as work and school, my brain decided to grab onto this idea and refuse to let it go. Leave it to me to suddenly become obsessed with a supporting character whose role in the original work is to provide some minor exposition, then die in a moderately tragic manner.

For those unfamiliar with it, this is in the universe of Mur Lafferty's book Playing for Keeps, which is a rather fun, fairly self-contained story set in a somewhat-less-generic-than-usual superhero universe. The original book is worth reading. This will make absolutely no sense to you if you haven't read the book, since it branches off in the middle without any attempt to introduce characters or set the scene. Though I guess if you were feeling adventurous you could try to cryptanalyze it.

I have no particular idea where this is going. But then, the ending of the book didn't seem to have much idea where it was going, either. So maybe that's all right. :P

Anastasia

QuoteThis will make absolutely no sense to you if you haven't read the book,

Pretty much. I gave it a gander just now and I'm completely lost. Looks well written, though.

I don't really have any analysis, since it's hard to analyze when you're constantly going 'huh, what's that?!'. Well, I did notice that apparently super powers develop in adolescence or at least before the end of it, barring drugs? Makes me think that super-powers are a realization of teenage ideas of being unique and powerful. Instead of growing up like most people, those with super powers get something to prove that idea. 
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?