News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Paladin: 3.5 vs Pathfinder

Started by Anastasia, August 09, 2014, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

For those of you in the know for both editions, what's your opinion of the 3.5 and Pathfinder paladins? Which aspects of each do you prefer?

I run 3.5, but I re-read the Pathfinder paladin today and it got me thinking.

1. The change to detect evil. Being able to immediately discern all the information from detect evil as a move action is nice. It helps the paladin's class ability stand out from the spell.
2. The various paladin spellcasting boosts are long overdue. I use some of them myself or things close to them, such as paladin casting being Charisma based.
3. Aura of righteoussness/resolve are both decent. They don't blow me away, but they fit the paladin's role and do what they set out to do. I like that.

Neutral

1. Lay on hands. I think PF's lay on hands is better designed, plus the mercies are good add-ons. However, I really miss the ability to precisely dole out your healing as well as the option to blow it all at once. I'm on the warm side of neutral here and could put this in likes just as easily as here.
2. Divine bond. You can do the first thing with ACFs in 3.5 and I really don't care about special mounts. This is largely apathy.
3. Neutral on the code of conduct tweaks. I dislike a situation that needs repeated atonements, as I feel that's clunky and ill-designed. However, as a code of conduct, I ultimately feel both are essentially the same. It's going to come down to the DM anyway, should it matter.
4. Holy Champion. Good capstone, but it connects to smite evil, which I'm meh on. See below.

Dislike

1. Smite evil. Is 3.5 smite evil in need of boosting? Sure, there's a good argument there. But I don't like how Pathfinder went about it for a few reasons. First of all, I don't like how it can bypass DR right out of the gate. 1st level abilities shouldn't be negating entire mechanics like that - I dislike protection from evil for being an immediate blocker for mind-affecting abilities for the same reason. Second of all, smite evil is now a gaggle of boosts that can last up for an entire day. I really think they overshot smite here, especially since you get more daily uses of it than in 3.5.
2. Aura of justice I sharply dislike. Besides my issues with smite evil, I dislike giving out such a potent class feature like that. It's an insanely good boost plus it's giving away the paladin's best trick to allies. It dilutes the uniqueness of the paladin. If I were to do it, at the very least it would be an epic level ability. Or whatever Pathfinder does for epic.

The problem with this is that I dislike the signature ability of PF paladins. I don't want to say smite is overpowered in the context of Pathfinder. I don't know enough of Pathfinder's mechanics to have a meaningful opinion there. But from a pure matter of preference, I can't say I think it's a good ability.

In spite of that, I think I'm neutral to warmly neutral on PF paladins. A lot of the boosts were needed compared to 3.5's paladin. But man, I don't like smite evil and that hurts. 
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?