News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Houserules

Started by Anastasia, September 01, 2014, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Placeholder while I get things in a row.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Major Houserules

These are covered in the full houserules below, but a summary of the noteworthy houserules are in this post. Most of the houserules deal with small things like a single feat, spell or niche thing.

- Every 3.5 book is allowed except the Tome of Battle. Setting specific material is allowed, but run it by me first so we can make any adjustments that are needed. The Tome of Magic is in the same position, except it's because I've barely used it. Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine and other 3rd party material is allowed on a case by case basis, as is homebrew. For the sake of this game, Pathfinder material counts as 3rd party.

- Aasimar and tieflings now have no level adjustment. Half orcs have ability score adjustments of Strength+2 and Charisma-2.

- The expanded alignment system in this post is used, especially the 5 point alignment system. Axiomatic, Vile, Exalted and Anarchic alignments are part of the world. Inicidentally, the feat categories with the same names require those alignments. Some of the exact details of alignment clarification aren't. As always with alignment questions, just ask me.

- Quick summary of major base class changes: Clerics channel energy instead of turning or rebuking undead (see that section below), druids use the shapeshift variant from the PHB2 instead of wild shape and don't lose their animal companion, monks gets full BAB and some other things, paladins now use Charisma for spellcasting and have other changes, rangers get full animal companion progression like a druid, sorcerers get bonus feats like a wizard, favored souls use Charisma for all of spellcasting and get channel energy like a cleric and healers are completely revised.

- All classes get an extra 4 skill points per level. Pathfinder skills are used.

- Open lock is folded into disable device, diplomacy DCs are now set by DM fiat, spellcraft can ID magic items(DC 15 + item caster level), tumble now checks against the CMD of the creatures you're trying to tumble past, rather than a static DC. Most of these are covered by Pathfinder skills, but they're kept here for the sake of reference.

- There's a lot of changes and tweaks to feats, so I'll only list the most common core feats that are changed. Acrobatic (and other +2/+2 skill booster feats) also grant one reroll per day of the skills they boost, augment summoning now has no prerequisite, dodge now gives a +1 dodge bonus to AC at all times (except flatfooted), various improved combat maneuver feats are adjusted for CMB/CMD, toughness now grants +1 hp per level like improved toughness and replaces that feat, weapon finesse now needs Dex 13 instead of BAB+1 and whirlwind attack's prereqs are now Int 13, Dex 13 and BAB+6. There's really no way to adequately summarize the various little changes to feats across 3.5, so that section below is worth reading.

- A bunch of spells have been banned, changed or adjusted to fit various campaign changes. Unfortunately, this also defies easy summary. There's no wholesale changes to how magic works, however. Also, magic/psionics transparency is on and should be assumed at all times, unless noted otherwise.

- Pathfinder's CMB and CMD is used, as this greatly streamlines combat maneuvers and how they work.

- The epic and divine rules are tweaked, adjusted and expanded. Should those come up, you'll want to refer to the sections on those. Fair warning.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The bulk of houserules can be found here. I'm not going to copy 40k words over when the changes are minimal. Changes are noted below (not counting any above, for this game, any changes above trump things in the Balmuria houserules).

1. Pathfinder skills are used. See above.
2. You can ignore resurrection rules section for now. Specific instructions will be posted here when relevant. This is something that needs to be established IC. In the event any of you are going to grab anything resurrect-ish, talk to me. None of you are divine casters so this shouldn't come up immediately.
3. Plane shifting out of the demiplane won't work. This is a local condition rather than any ban on plane shift. You can learn that spell if you like, it just won't work. This applies to any spells that can do the same thing, like gate.
4. Planar material is generally hampered by the premise of the setting. As the amnesia bit prevents anyone for knowing what the rest of the multiverse (or whatever else it is) is like, choosing things that reference this is dicey. Talk to me. We'll make substitutions if workable or otherwise you'll need to choose something else.
5. Due to the premise, the following four knowledge skills are banned: Local, Nobility and Royalty, Planes and Religion. This ban only extends to character creation. Once you gain a level in game, you'll be able to select these skills. If you need these skills as a prerequisite to something, talk to me and we'll make a substitution. In a related note, Knowledge (Local) will cover the entire demiplane.
6. For the sake of this game, non-healing cantrips/orisons are infinite. If I feel a usage of a particular infinite cantrip is a problem, I'll address it.
7. This game will be somewhere between The Vastwoods and Balmuria as far as buying/selling magic items. Local conditions will likely vary wildly, though you'll have to find out more about this as you go.
8. Psychic rogues get psicraft as a class skill. Added to the Balmuria house rules, adding this marker here since Iddy's using psychic rogue.

Let me know if I missed anything. Likewise, let me know if something in that topic needs addressing for this game.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Changelog

10/15/14: Houserules go live.
11/24/14: Psychic rogues now get psicraft as a class skill.
<Afina> Forever.