News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Miscellaneous stuff

Started by Anastasia, April 11, 2015, 02:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

No rush on these, but I figured I'd put pen to paper:

What are we going to do with regards to the Weapon Focus requirement for Pious Templar? We went back and forth on it and I don't know if you had settled on the feat idea or what. If we just want to handwave it and say I can still use Weapon Focus Claw without technically having Claws it's fine. It's a wasted feat but I really don't care.

Improved Natural Attack provides a different progression for damage than Monk does. Which do I use? Monk is 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 2d6, whereas INA lists two: 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6 vs.  1d10, 2d8, 3d8,

Re: 6th Level feat. Is Stand Still good or would you prefer I stick with Improved Disarm? It's not a big deal either way, but I know we were discussing it.

Anastasia

Interesting IRC discussion, preserved here for reference.

<Nephrite> So those two seem to have been like 70% Aurilites based on what was posted!
> That's a pretty interesting observation. You're right - one can surmise they weren't perfectly faithful to the doctrine based on what you've seen and read.
> They were monsters who used the dead to curse the living, but the also were human. Part of that is being imperfect, by mistake, pride or simple human nature.
> Necromancy isn't a part of standard beliefs for Auril's flock. There's nothing -wrong- about it as far as they're concerned, but it's just not connected to the main tenets of the faith.
> (This is a fairly quick and easy way to tell the difference between Aurilites and Unseelie Fey worshipers and fey who deal with winter. The latter tend to dislike the undead while Aurilites don't.)
> A fairly traditional and strict Aurilite would range from disapproval to HERESY if they spent some time studying them.
> Auril herself would not be amused, but hell, that's her problem now. They'll spend a long time being frozen, miserable spirits haunting Auril's blizzards. No warmth and no mercy there. They won't remember their mortal lives, but they'll both know they're missing something - something important. Another person. Every time they think about it or try and search, the winds will become that much colder for them. Eventually they'll forsake even that and become closer to what Auril wants. They might one day be promoted into a more noteworthy form, but it's not gonna be in this millenium or probably the next.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 26, 2015, 12:26:29 PM
No rush on these, but I figured I'd put pen to paper:

What are we going to do with regards to the Weapon Focus requirement for Pious Templar? We went back and forth on it and I don't know if you had settled on the feat idea or what. If we just want to handwave it and say I can still use Weapon Focus Claw without technically having Claws it's fine. It's a wasted feat but I really don't care.

Just use weapon focus for unarmed strike. It's marginal enough that I don't care (and I gave Cor a pass on Snowcasting yesterday too, so fair's fair, and both aren't anywhere near to breaking anything).

QuoteImproved Natural Attack provides a different progression for damage than Monk does. Which do I use? Monk is 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 2d6, whereas INA lists two: 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6 vs.  1d10, 2d8, 3d8,

I use this as the relevant text: The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature's size had increased by one category.

So you're on the large-sized monk track if you take it as a medium-sized creature. So on and so forth.

QuoteRe: 6th Level feat. Is Stand Still good or would you prefer I stick with Improved Disarm? It's not a big deal either way, but I know we were discussing it.

Yeah, that's fine. It's really similar to improved trip and disarm in both effect and spirit, so I have no problem with that. I'll write up an official ACF for it later.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Okay.

In that case, I will take INA as my level 6 feat and Weapon Focus as a replacement for Improved Initiative and update everything accordingly and then I think I'm done with the minutia.

Anastasia

Okay.

Levels up ran a little over this time. It's not a big deal since we leveled up mid week. In the future let's try to have them together quicker, okay?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I think there'll be way less weirdness from me for levels from now on since a lot of it was housekeeping and finalizing things. Sorry for the trouble.

Anastasia

It's no big deal, just a heads up for it to hopefully be smoother next time.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

This is more of a heads-up for the future, but I'll probably start advancing with Kensai at 7 or 8. I understand there's a bit of fluff that goes along with it, so I wanted to make sure I put that out there way ahead of time.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 28, 2015, 01:32:15 PM
This is more of a heads-up for the future, but I'll probably start advancing with Kensai at 7 or 8. I understand there's a bit of fluff that goes along with it, so I wanted to make sure I put that out there way ahead of time.

Which fluff is that?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Special: Must complete an oath of service (see sidebar) to either an overlord or an ideal.

OATH OF SERVICE
A kensai's oath of service must be sworn in front of witnesses
and must be upheld for the kensai to continue advancing in
levels. Typical oaths include swearing service to a powerful lord
of the kensai's alignment, to an organization with the same
alignment and goals of the kensai, to the kensai's deity, or even
to an ideal or principle the kensai upholds.

There's more in there but I guess Erad could just do it for Bahamut with Inari and Annerose there as witnesses.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 28, 2015, 05:55:02 PM
Special: Must complete an oath of service (see sidebar) to either an overlord or an ideal.

OATH OF SERVICE
A kensai's oath of service must be sworn in front of witnesses
and must be upheld for the kensai to continue advancing in
levels. Typical oaths include swearing service to a powerful lord
of the kensai's alignment, to an organization with the same
alignment and goals of the kensai, to the kensai's deity, or even
to an ideal or principle the kensai upholds.

There's more in there but I guess Erad could just do it for Bahamut with Inari and Annerose there as witnesses.

Bahamut's fine, yeah. That's something we can easily enough work out.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

[15:26] <Erad> "Huh." Erad shrugs. He does think, are there any deities that they might be following to just be throwing out maps like this?
[15:26] <Kotono> OOC: K:R.
[15:26] <Erad> roll 1d20+7
[15:26] <Rei-chan> Erad rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=19 ]{26}
[15:26] <Kotono> OOC:That's a pretty good result, I'll fill you in tomorrow. Legit need to do stuff before work. Remind me.

Anastasia

This houserules update came from B4, so cross-posting it here. In case any of you were considering archivist down the road.

Archivist: Archivist spellcasting is now completely Intelligence based, rather than Intelligence/Wisdom split.

Standard houserule I make for split ability score casters.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A few miscellaneous things from IRC today.

1. Auril's dogma re: facing winter and clothes.

(I'd like to note the opening line wasn't out of the blue, but came from some IC wondering over how parts of Auril's dogma could be interpreted.)

> For what it's worth, I imagine Auril practices what she preaches and is technically naked underneath the blizzard she wears. When you get to the point of oh, say, wearing the weather like clothing, it's irrelevant anyway.
<Annerose> Naked Auril is fine by me I guess
<Annerose> As for Auril, she might not be hypocritical but her way is in no way self-sustaining either
<Annerose> So she's still wrong~
<Inari> Well, she's static. Better than Shar who's the opposite of self-sustaining.
<Annerose> Shar is shit
<Annerose> Hot but shit
> Blizzard's Raiment in her stat block implies that's what she wears. It's sort of a reference to skyclad witches and the like, but subtle. She's a nature deity but it's not a big deal or much of a reference.
> Just one of those little things you could extrapolate based on things you've heard over various games.
> (Today's extra tidbit: There are those sort of clerics/witches who go that way in worshiping Auril, but it's an extreme minority view. Practical considerations of all kinds tend to nip it in the bud. Among them is that it's not the image she wants her faithful to present.)
<Annerose> Hmm
<Annerose> So wait
> (The most common and mainstream interpretation is just to wear normal clothes and bear winter.)
<Annerose> I convince budding Aurilites they should dance naked in a blizzard
<Annerose> They all die
<Annerose> Profit?
> Depends if they've picked up an anti-cold power yet. >_> But could hilariously work.
<Annerose> I'll be sure to put it in the second edition of the Auril Heresy

Enchanting Annerose's freezing touch

<Annerose> A related question, from me
<Annerose> Dune, does my freezing touch fall under magic weapon or magic fang purview?
> Paste the ability description in here?
<Annerose> A yuki-onna has a freezing touch as a melee touch attack. If the base creature can use weapons, the yuki-onna retains this ability. A yuki-onna fighting without weapons uses a touch attack when making an attack action. When she has a weapon, she usually uses whichever is more beneficial. A creature that already has a slam attack or similar natural attack may use whichever is better.
> I'd just call it magic fang, I guess?
<Annerose> k
> It's essentially a natural weapon.
> Well no, that's bad phrasing, but you get what I mean.
<Annerose> Hmm
<Annerose> I see
<Annerose> But Frozen Hand from the cryo prc turns unarmed touch attacks into armed
<Annerose> So that would be eligible for magic weapon, I think?
<Annerose> Since the writeup for the spell mentions monks and stuff
> Yeah, that's fine.
<Afina> Forever.