058. (Coda 2) Part 2: Epic stuff happens...or does it?

Started by Merc, November 01, 2015, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

[20:03] <Kotono> Rest. After Kina-Ja and the reoccurance of the Father, it's only sensible to take a chance to recover. One such day is done by Balyss, who meets the two deep in the library. "So," she begins after summoning them, "As well as seeing to the spiritual needs of Selune's flock here, I try and see to the needs of everyone. Especially those Selune gave a holy task to."
[20:04] * Muirfinn nods patiently.
[20:08] <Kotono> "So," Balyss claps her hands together, "Both of you are getting some orders from above - take a day and do something you enjoy."
[20:08] <Lief> "I almost feel important."
[20:09] * Muirfinn nods and half-turns before stopping. "Wait, what?"
[20:10] <Kotono> "It comes from General Adrian," Balyss doesn't miss a beat, "And make sure they do something even if you have hit them with your mace over the head."
[20:12] <Muirfinn> "Not that. Before that. Between the words 'So,' and 'take a day.'"
[20:13] <Kotono> "Oh." Balyss goes on with that, "Right. General Adrian ordered the two of you to take a day off. Rest. Do something funb efore facing down another horrorific nightmare creature."
[20:13] <Kotono> She clears her throat afterwards, "He made a point of making sure I said General Adrian. I think he's making a point here or something."
[20:13] * Lief stares Balyss in the eyes as he slowly brings up his invisibility, never breaking eye contact as he disappears...
[20:14] <Muirfinn> "So Adrian volunteered us to take on a horrific nightmare creature?"
[20:14] <Muirfinn> "Or did Selune?"
[20:14] <Muirfinn> "Are Adrian and Selune the same person!?"
[20:14] <Kotono> "What? No!" Balyss stares t the two, slowly facepalming into both hands. "I mean, all of you run around fighting Athux or Kina-Ja or whatever else lately, so it's sort of expected now."
[20:15] <Muirfinn> "Young lady, do not try to hide this from me! You've already let the proverbial cat out of the bag. Has Adrian always been Selune, or is this a new development?"
[20:15] <Lief> "So, what you mean is everyone else needs to pull their own weight while we do work around here, right?"
[20:16] * Muirfinn shakes his finger at her as though she were a naughty child.
[20:16] <Kotono> Balyss looks between both of them, "What? What the hell happened to this conversation?" she asks aloud, "Just...stop. Stop. Stop." Holding both hands up. "We start over. Pretend this conversation never happened.:
[20:16] <Kotono> :
[20:18] <Muirfinn> "Okay." Muirfinn says, taking a deep breath. "Hello Balyss. Are you, or have you ever been aware of Adrian being Selune?"
[20:19] <Kotono> Balyss smiles for a moment - just a moment. Her face falls and she sighs deeply, facepalming once more. "Just...stop. Adrian says you should take a day off so take a day off! I don't care what or how, just do it!" Balyss turns on her heel and stalks off.
[20:19] * Muirfinn permits himself an inordinately self-satisfied smirk. Just for a moment.
[20:22] <Muirfinn> "We should go accuse Adrian of being Selune. Just to see what happens."
[20:22] * Muirfinn heads off to find Adrian.
[20:24] <Kotono> Finding Adrian is surprisingly difficult. He's not with the Graceful Blow, nor practicing. He's finally found with Morniel in one of the meeting rooms, deep in conversation. You catch as nippet as the two of you step through the portal to it, "...disrupt the supply of-" Morniel looks up, a solemn nod to the two.
[20:24] <Kotono> Adrian looks over, "Hey. Did Balyss find you, by the way?"
[20:24] <Muirfinn> "Yes. She did. Adrian, I have a serious question for you."
[20:25] <Kotono> "Sure," Adrian says, stretching a little bit. "What is it?"
[20:26] <Muirfinn> "Balyss told Lief and I something disturbing a few minutes ago. I wanted to ask you about it."
[20:26] <Lief> "And don't lie, becuase Balyss already let your secret slip."
[20:26] * Muirfinn nods.
[20:26] <Kotono> "Okaaaaay," Adrian shrugs a little bit, "What is it?"
[20:27] <Muirfinn> "Are you Selune, Adrian? Because Balyss told us that you are Selune, and I don't understand why you wouldn't just tell us. We respect your life choices, whatever they are."
[20:27] * Lief nods.
[20:27] <Muirfinn> "This is a place of acceptance."
[20:28] <Kotono> "What? No." Adrian says, completely deadpan.
[20:28] <Muirfinn> "Hey, there's no reason to be like that."
[20:28] <Lief> "If that's how you want to play it, then I guess we have no choice."
[20:28] <Lief> "We'll just have to ask Ithea."
[20:28] <Kotono> "It's not funny to blaspheme," Morniel speaks up, a hint of disapproval in his words. He frowns, "What in the name of the Holy Mountain provoked this?"
[20:28] * Muirfinn nods. "Balyss."
[20:29] <Muirfinn> "Like we said."
[20:29] <Kotono> "Why would..." Adrian begins, ubbing his chin. "Well, she is one of the Lunatics. She might have been in the throes of a vision?"
[20:29] <Lief> "That's true, she said it first. So if there's holy smiting to be done for blasphemy, wouldn't it start with her?"
[20:30] <Muirfinn> "But Adrian is right. Mayb e whe WAS having a vision. Maybe Adrian isn't Selune. Yet."
[20:30] <Kotono> Morniel frowns even deeper, "This must be a misunderstanding of some sort. Please, cease your words and allow this matter to be resolved wisely."
[20:30] <Lief> "Wasn't there a belt for that?"
[20:30] * Lief looks to be in deep thought.
[20:31] <Kotono> "Yeah, that," Adrian glances sidelong at Morniel, "I'm not sure if this is a misundertanding or some suppressed fey thing," He stands up, adjusting his belt and sword before striding forward, "But I'll go talk to Balyss about this."
[20:31] * Muirfinn rubs his chin, nodding. "You should discuss this with Balyss. Preferably before she tells someone else about it. If it IS a misunderstanding, we'd hate for it to be rampant."
[20:32] * Lief nods.
[20:32] <Lief> "Especially if it got back to Ithea. I can't imagine what'd she think of it."
[20:33] <Muirfinn> "Well, I imagine she'd be mildly confused."
[20:33] <Kotono> Adrian strides through the portal, gone. Morniel merely looks on at both, his frown unchanged. "The truth is a beautiful thing, while lies and willing misinformation are scarred and barren. I expected better of you, Muirfinn."
[20:33] <Lief> "Unless it made sense to her."
[20:34] <Lief> "Also, let's be honest here."
[20:34] <Lief> "This is completely his fault. Without a doubt."
[20:37] <Kotono> "What happened?" Morniel asks, "I overhead him tell Balyss you two could use a day of rest."
[20:37] * Muirfinn looks sidelong at Morniel. "Perhaps, but this is hardly subversive or destructive. Indulging in a bit of harmless chaos is hardly going to destroy my soul. I'm a being of balance, though I spend much of my time repressing my chaotic nature. This is just a bit of harmless fun."
[20:37] <Lief> "Exactly."
[20:37] <Lief> "He gave us a day off."
[20:37] <Lief> "It's entirely his fault."
[20:37] <Muirfinn> "She mispoke, stated that Selune had sent us on a quest, then Adrian sent us on a quest."
[20:39] <Kotono> Morniel leans back and nods slightly, "I see. Come here," he gestures at the scrolls before him.
[20:40] * Muirfinn steps over. "What have you there?"
[20:40] * Lief lands on Muirfinn's shoulder.
[20:42] <Kotono> It looks like plans, maps and charts. "We're planning a raid into Lifasa. General Afina and Jaela got word of certain elements there that can be rescued, as Makaril's resistance isn't in a position to help them." He taps one chart in particular, "This amusement has distracted us from our planning, which involves disrupting diabolical supply lines to support the rescue operation. This may well
[20:42] <Kotono> slow or damage our planning." His expression is grave, "There are many times for lightness and mirth. Wisdom is knowing when it is time and when ti is not, and where it is time or not."
[20:50] * Lief scratches his head and sighs.
[20:50] <Lief> "I suppose so."
[20:50] * Muirfinn taps a claw against his beak. "Perhaps. Perhaps I've provided a harmful interruption. I'll allow that. These are unglad times all, Morniel. For all we've accomplished, we have very little to be glad of. The majority of our plane lies in ruin and under control of Hell, that is true. I could argue that lightness of mood is therefore needed at all times, for humor is a defense and coping
[20:50] * Muirfinn mechanism of most mortals. I could also argue that by providing a distraction, it's possible that Adrian may return to look at this with ifferent eyes, or perhaps Selune has communicated something to Balyss in the past that may be remembered when she sees Adrian."
[20:51] <Muirfinn> "Besides, if he were truly intent on this, he would have waited before going to see Balyss."
[20:51] <Muirfinn> "Perhaps a break was needed."
[20:52] <Kotono> "You could," Morniel agrees, waving a hand. "Perhaps a break will do him good, perhaps not. We shall see. If nothing else, I suppose you have followed his order to unwind and have fun."
[20:52] <Muirfinn> "Either way, if we have offended, we do apologize."
[20:55] <Lief> "Yes. It wasn't meant to be anything other than a joke."
[20:57] <Kotono> This merely draws a slight nod, "You are forgiven." He pauses a moment, "Are you occupied with your efforts against The Father?"
[20:58] <Muirfinn> "Somewhat. Why?"
[21:00] <Kotono> "The region we're going after is noteworthy for being naturally cut off from the Astral Plane and other transitive planes. This prevents teleportation and similar means of travel there, and the region is protected by high mountains. While this does not impede individual devils, it makes logistical support extremely difficult. To that end, Baator has constructed a station on the Astral Plane to
[21:00] <Kotono> force an artificial connection and allow teleportation into the region. Destroying it to prevent Hell from resupplying the common troops there is part of the operation, one we haven't assigned yet."
[21:03] <Muirfinn> "So you're looking for someone to destroy a supply node?"
[21:04] <Kotono> "The station, not a node, but yes." Morniel says, "Do not feel obligated if The Father occupies your attention. We all have our burdens, and sometimes they take us in opposite directions for a time."
[21:05] <Lief> "Do we have anyone there doing recon already?"
[21:05] <Kotono> "Not yet." Lief gets a pointed look, "A task well suited to you with preparation, and then you could guide the others in effectively destroying the station."
[21:06] * Lief nods.
[21:06] <Muirfinn> "There's only so much planning one can do against a cosmic horror so evil that even its demon lord parents want it dead. Really, I'm trying to think of a way to do this without turning a lot of people into glorified divine cannon fodder."
[21:07] <Kotono> "Unfortunately so," Morniel agrees, "I've read the account of how The Father was sealed away, and it seems a matter of desperation. It seems powerfully inured against death and dissolution, a survivor against its parents and then the rest of Creation."
[21:08] <Kotono> "Which is why," Morniel looks to them, "I make this offer in part. Perhaps a change of taks will refresh you if you are stalled on your current one."
[21:08] * Muirfinn nods. "Much like here, an interruption. A chance to walk away and come back with fresh eyes."
[21:10] <Kotono> At that, Adrian comes back in. He glances at Muirfinn and Lief, "Balyss is pissed off. You may want to avoid her for a few days," he says, settling back into his seat. "Maybe a week or so."
[21:10] * Lief chuckles.
[21:11] <Kotono> Morniel's reply is stopped by that. He instead goes silent as Adrian speaks, "Yes, that would be wise. One does not stick a hand into the oven after lighting it aflame."
[21:11] * Muirfinn snorts.
[21:11] <Lief> "What if you're immune to fire?"
[21:12] <Kotono> "Then you use another metaphor," Morniel says with a hint of a smile.
[21:12] <Kotono> "Yeah, the point is that she's really angry with the two of you. Steer clear of her until she calms down." Adrian says, pausing to undo Gaelach from his back and rest it against the wall.
[21:14] <Muirfinn> "Sounds like a good time to go devil hunting, then."
[21:15] <Kotono> "Adrian, I suggested that they be the ones to deal with the Astral Plane problem," Morniel adds.
[21:16] <Kotono> "You two, huh?" Adrian gives both of them a look, "Lief, you'd be good at recon and then...no, you'd want a third or maybe a fourth for the actual assault. They've increased defenses and patrols around anything Lifasa lately. We've really rattled them good." Snapping his fingers, "Take Ithea, she can live without another catnap."
[21:16] <Muirfinn> "Too true. We'll find a fourth and head out. What's the location?"
[21:17] <Lief> "What were those preperations you mentioned?"
[21:17] <Kotono> "The Astral Plane," Adrian just shrugs, "Go there and think abou the station. It's called Bennegar by the devils, so that should do. You'll get there."
[21:18] <Kotono> "Your stealth and invisibility are powerful tools, but the devils may employ means to thwart them. I would suggestion nondetection, mind blank or similar measures to stop divinations from detectingyou." Morniel says, "Remember, you can't easily teleport away on the Astral Plane, so if a battle occures, the most easy means of escape are gone."
[21:19] <Muirfinn> "So if we're spotted, wihch is entirely possible, we'll either need to execute a fighting retreat or a battle to destroy or capture the station."
[21:20] <Kotono> "Exactly." Morniel looks to Lief, "So be prepared if things go wrong."
[21:20] <Lief> "Hm... I suppose I need to find a wand or scrolls for that."
[21:20] <Muirfinn> "I have a large cash reserve that should be used before this."
[21:21] <Kotono> Adrian speaks up here, "Travel times - muc as the matter in the Astral - means getting the spell cast here isn't pratical."

"OOC Chatter": ShowHide
[21:24] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, so what's your plans here?
[21:26] <Lief> OOC: Some kind of way to get whatever the most effective hidey spell is. Other than that, nothing for me.
[21:26] <Lief> OOC: Oh, I guess reload my spell storing arrows.
[21:27] <Muirfinn> OOC: Lief and anyone going with us will need persisted or permanancied Mind Blanks (whih is never a bad idea) and I have a couple purchases to make to make things easier on us.
[21:28] <Lief> OOC: I still have the list of the spells I had them loaded with.
[21:28] <Kotono> OOC: Search loot. Tannin got a permanent item of mind blank before, so you can get the price from there.
[21:28] <Kotono> OOC: Right Lief.
[21:28] <Kotono> OOC: Go ahea dan dget your looting in order, that'll take up the rest of session.
[21:28] <Kotono> OOC: Who is your fourth going to be?
[21:28] <Muirfinn> OOC: Alrighty
[21:29] <Muirfinn> Was thinking someone quiet, like Canderella or Baleruk
[21:29] <Kotono> OOC: Subtle. Serious or joking?
[21:30] <Kotono> OOC: I gotta get up in a few, so please lemme know who you wanna take, or that you need more time. >_>
[21:30] <Muirfinn> OOC: Joking. I'll figure it out. Need to look at some sheets.
[21:30] <Kotono> OOC: Sure.
[21:30] <Lief> OOC: Someone with some kind of ninja ability. Lief may be good at stealth and stuff, but if things go south, being solo is bad, m'kay.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

"OOC Chatter": ShowHide
[20:05] <Kotono> ----
[20:05] <Kotono> OOC: It's been a bit, so let's have a quick plan recap.
[20:06] <Ithea> ooc: there was a plan?
[20:06] <Muirfinn> OOC: We were gonna go buy groceries right?
[20:07] <Muirfinn> OOC: I am kidding. We have a plan.
[20:07] <Muirfinn> OOC: Plan as follows:
[20:07] <Lief> OOC: I DON'T KNOW THE PLAN!
[20:07] <Muirfinn> OOC: We're gonna get together and spy on some devils in the Astral
[20:08] <Kotono> OOC: More details than that would help.
[20:08] <Lief> OOC: Oh yeah, that. Weren't we supposed to get items of mind blank or something?
[20:08] <Muirfinn> OOC: If they spot us, we're gonna either run like hell or destroy them, depending on what their numbers are.
[20:08] <Muirfinn> OOC: Mind blank item instructions are in Loot
[20:09] <Muirfinn> OOC: Muirfinn, Lief, Ithea, and one other, depending on how Ko felt about leveling people
[20:09] <Ithea> ooc: Man, I don't even recall anything about this plan even after you mention it. All I remember was slaad dungeoneering.
[20:09] <Lief> OOC: I don't see anything in loot except the cost.
[20:09] <Muirfinn> OOC: That's the instructions. It's Mind Blank. It does what it says on the box.
[20:10] <Kotono> OOC: It'll be Sylvie since I haven't had a chance to get Finnegan in order. Link us tot hat for reasy refreshing, tortle?
[20:11] <Muirfinn> OOC: Link to Mind Blank?
[20:11] <Muirfinn> OOC: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm
[20:12] <Lief> OOC: Okay, then that'll be my Ring 2 slot. I still need to replace the Wrists that I sacrificed, I think.
[20:13] <Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[20:13] <Kotono> OOC: Anything else besides the link I'm waiting on?
[20:14] <Lief> OOC: He did link mind blank. Or did you mean the instructions post?
[20:16] <Kotono> OOC: The instructions post.
[20:16] <Lief> OOC: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1058755.html#msg1058755
[20:19] <Kotono> OOC: I thought it meant you had a post with the plan in general. Okay. Let's get you all going then.

[20:21] <Kotono> The three get together, meeting with Sylvie in Aurora's courtyard, near the gate. She nods to them as they approach, "So are we ready for this?"
[20:22] <Lief> "I suppose. Can anyone think of any holes in our stealth abilities?"
[20:23] <Ithea> "Well, Muirfinn turns into a giant dragon. Those aren't exactly stealthy," Ithea notes wrily.
[20:23] <Muirfinn> "I can also turn into a small bird."
[20:24] <Muirfinn> "Also, I have Camouflage."
[20:25] <Lief> "Do we have an emergency escape plan?"
[20:25] <Muirfinn> "I can Plane Shift us to Water if needed."
[20:25] <Ithea> "Gate spell, probably," Ithea answers. "And enough magic power to cast it hopefully if there's any antimagic fields or other protections against it."
[20:25] <Muirfinn> "Or that."
[20:26] <Kotono> "Hopefully," Sylvie says, "But remember we're on the Astral Plane here."
[20:26] <Lief> "Alright. Can anyone think of anything else? Communication if we get seperated?"
[20:29] <Muirfinn> "Sylvie, can you use Sendings?"
[20:29] <Kotono> "Too slow," Sylvie shakes her head, "The casting time is prohibitive."
[20:30] * Muirfinn nods. "Let's not get seperated then."
[20:32] <Kotono> From there the party heads out into Air....OOC: Who is handling transit to the Astral?
[20:32] <Ithea> ooc: Not me~
[20:32] <Muirfinn> OOC: Yo
[20:32] <Muirfinn> OOC: Gating
[20:35] <Kotono> From there, opening a Gate into the Astral is simple. You step into the timeless sea of silver, everything stopping. All around is the emptiness of the Astral, floating in the endlessness of it all. "One way is as good as another," Sylvie remarks, her words faintly echoing. "Just remember to keep our location in mind."
[20:36] * Muirfinn sets off, keeping an eye out for trouble!
[20:39] * Lief follows along with the others, slowly orbiting the group, keeping an eye out.
[20:39] <Kotono> Sylvie begins to fly along in the air, "Remember, move with your minds," she says, "Not your body. Just think and you'll move."
[20:39] * Ithea enters the gate and starts floating in the astral with the others.
[20:39] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:39] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 76 > [d100=76]
[20:39] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 34 > [d100=34]
[20:39] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 52 > [d100=52]
[20:40] <Kotono> roll 1d10
[20:40] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 4 > [d10=4]
[20:40] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:40] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 49 > [d100=49]
[20:43] <Kotono> How long is it? It's impossible to say in a place without time. You simply travel on, on, on and on further yet. This is finally disrupted by a wreckage ahead. A ship floats in the silver void, broken and with big holes in it. Bodies of yellow-skinned humanoids float in and aorund it - githyanki. It silent here otherwise, only the dead ahead.
[20:46] * Ithea eyes the boat, wondering if it's one of the few ships they've encountered in the past here in the Astral.
[20:47] <Muirfinn> "Well. LEt's check it out?"
[20:47] <Kotono> Sylvie scowls, "Gith wreckage?" she murmurs, "Wonder what did it in, gith war shps like that are formidible."
[20:48] <Lief> "One or two of us should stay outside of it and keep watch if we do check it out."
[20:51] <Ithea> "Astral's not the best place to keep watch from. If something wanted to sneak up on us, it damn well will, in all likelyhood."
[20:51] <Muirfinn> "The ship is at least defensible. They didn't obliterate it, after all."
[20:51] <Lief> "Let's go then."
[20:51] <Muirfinn> "Plus, any clues as to what did this might come in handy. I'd like to avoid it."
[20:54] * Ithea nods, as she starts floating towards the ship.
[20:54] <Kotono> OOC: Spot checks, all.
[20:54] <Kotono> roll 1d20+19 Sylvie
[20:54] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 28 > [d20=9]
[20:54] <Muirfinn> roll 1d2+48
[20:54] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 50 > [d2=2]
[20:54] <Muirfinn> OOC: wait, fuck
[20:54] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+48
[20:54] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 65 > [d20=17]
[20:55] <Lief> roll 1d20+64 Spot
[20:55] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 81 > [d20=17]
[20:55] <Ithea> roll d20+51 spot
[20:55] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 66 > [d20=15]
[21:00] <Kotono> It's not hard to see it's empty of life. The bodies have been torn open - claw marks, savage rather than more (relatively) refined injuries by blade or mace. No sign of magic, burns, or other exotic damage. Just like they've been mauled, one and all. As you fly in, you see the ship is in shambles. It's shattered and there's no sign of gear or provisions. Just bodies and ship wreckage on a glance.
[21:01] * Lief inspects the area, looking for clues.
[21:02] <Muirfinn> "Well." OOC: Roll to determine what left the claw marks?
[21:02] <Kotono> OOC: K:P.
[21:02] <Lief> OOC: Basically. See if I can identify anything. I only have K:N, so I doubt I have anything applicable, but hey, no harm in trying.
[21:02] <Ithea> roll d20+47 K:Planes to identify claws?
[21:02] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 49 > [d20=2]
[21:03] <Ithea> ooc: well bully to you too, Serith!
[21:03] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22 KP
[21:03] <Lief> OOC: Anything for me? Or just a d20 roll since I don't have K:P?
[21:03] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=7]
[21:04] <Ithea> ooc: If you don't have a knowledge skill, you can't roll. Unless you're Sylvie. Then you can.
[21:04] <Lief> OOC: Hax.
[21:05] <Kotono> roll 1d20+54 K:P
[21:05] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 62 > [d20=8]
[21:05] <Ithea> ooc: Sylvie -is- an epic level factotum. She's all about hax
[21:05] <Ithea> ooc: Also, man, Serith is clearly the culprit and doesn't want us to identify her.
[21:05] <Ithea> ooc: look at all those mediocre rolls
[21:05] <Kotono> Sylvie spends  alittle time studying them, "They're smooth, even and regular within a pattern. The pattern suggests barbazu and cornugon claws." Sylvie then looks up from them, "Not that it may matter much." OOC: The DC was absurdly high since it's an incredibly difficult thing to tell from just looking, though Ithea had a shot if she didn't 2.
[21:08] <Muirfinn> "Ah. Well, that's not good. Unsurprising though."
[21:10] <Kotono> "My gut says it has nothing to do with our target," Sylvie goes on, "The way travel in the Astral works means we aren't any closer or farther from our target until we reach it. This?" She gestures towards it, "Is probably Ithea's luck, or something like it."
[21:12] <Ithea> "My luck would be in play if the devils came back and attacked us while we're here."
[21:12] <Muirfinn> "Not helping, Ithea."
[21:12] <Lief> "Well, now that you've spoken that aloud, let's leave. Quickly."
[21:13] <Ithea> "...You guys are acting as if we didn't want to rip to shreds some shitty devils," Ithea comments drily.
[21:13] <Lief> "You're already forgetting the stealth part of this mission.:"
[21:14] <Muirfinn> "That."
[21:14] <Lief> "I mean, I know cats have attention problems, but let's focus here."
[21:14] <Ithea> "I'm sure if someone realized people from Aurora were killing devils in other planes, they wouldn't bat an eye and think we're doing anything else. But fine, let's move on then."
[21:14] <Kotono> "Yeah," Sylvie says, "I doubt we'll have devils on us suddenly, bu twhy risk it?"
[21:16] <Kotono> OOC: Going to move on then, y'all?
[21:17] <Muirfinn> OOC: Yeah
[21:17] <Lief> OOC: Do we want to do a quick search for anything that got left behind?
[21:19] <Muirfinn> OOC: We got time for it?
[21:19] <Muirfinn> OOC: Eh, go nuts
[21:21] * Lief goes to do a quick once-over on the ship, looking for anything useful left behind.
[21:22] <Kotono> OOC: Spot.
[21:22] <Lief> roll 1d20+64 Spot
[21:22] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 78 > [d20=14]
[21:23] <Ithea> roll d20+51 spot because why not
[21:23] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 64 > [d20=13]
[21:23] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+48
[21:23] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 61 > [d20=13]
[21:24] <Kotono> OOC: We'll sort that out...NEXT TIME, since I have to go to bed for that early-ass doctor thing.
[21:27] <Muirfinn> OOC: CLIFFHANGERS

Merc

[20:11] <Muirfinn> [19:27] <Muirfinn> OOC: CLIFFHANGERS

[20:12] <Kotono> The party searches the ship. It's fairly well trashed, but amid some debris, you can see a faint ripple. Almost impossible to see, but easier for those of you who can see invisibility or true seeing. A metal chest sits on a bit of debris, locked and with a lock in the shape of a demon horned head.
[20:13] <Muirfinn> "Well!" Muirfinn remarks. "I wonder what's inside."
[20:14] <Kotono> Sylvie stays a bit away, "If it was left behind and this protected, probably something worthwhile or dangerous. Or both."
[20:14] <Lief> "Inside?"
[20:15] <Kotono> "Well yes," Sylvie doesn't miss a beat, "That is the point of locking something up in a chest."
[20:16] * Lief gives Sylvie an odd look, but doesn't do anything.
[20:18] * Muirfinn Detects Magic!
[20:19] <Kotono> The chest is indeed magical. OOC: Spelclraft.
[20:20] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50
[20:21] * Joins: Serith (~iron_drag@cpe-76-187-78-214.tx.res.rr.com)
[20:21] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50
[20:21] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 54 > [d20=4]
[20:21] <Kotono> The chest is protected to be invisible. There's a fairly strong enchantment to keep it closed, but no magical trap.
[20:22] * Muirfinn Dispels Magic!
[20:22] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+20
[20:22] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 37 > [d20=17]
[20:22] <Kotono> The chest is now visible, both spells crumbling before Muirfinn's magic.
[20:22] <Muirfinn> "That."
[20:23] * Lief flies up to it and inspects the chest and lock for traps, trickery, and tomfoolery.
[20:25] <Kotono> OOC: Search echeck.
[20:25] <Lief> roll 1d20+32 Search
[20:25] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 49 > [d20=17]
[20:27] <Kotono> The chest is indeed trapped. It's a fairly complex mechanical one, designed to spew some sort of gas or liquid held inside. Lief thinks he could disable it, though, to open it and preventing the trap from springing.
[20:27] <Lief> "Trapped with gas or liquid inside. I think I can get it... Give me some time.... Oh and step back. Just in case."
[20:28] * Lief goes to work!
[20:28] <Lief> roll 1d20+28 Disable Device
[20:28] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 32 > [d20=4]
[20:28] * Ithea waits patiently and just keeps an eye out for other explorers or devils and demons or what-have-you!
[20:29] * Muirfinn dutifully takes a step back.
[20:31] <Kotono> Lief works and slowly disarms the trap. It's not the hardest ever and he soon has it neutralized.
[20:32] * Lief opens the chest!
[20:33] <Kotono> Within are several sheets of paper. They're written in a language Lief doesn't immediately recognize.
[20:34] * Muirfinn might! Muirfinn peeks over.
[20:34] * Lief offers them to people who are better at languages than him.
[20:34] <Kotono> The party looks at it, one and all - it just seems to be gibberish, none of them identifying it. OOC: Decipher script if you have ranks.
[20:35] <Kotono> roll 1d20+44 Sylvie
[20:35] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 63 > [d20=19]
[20:35] <Kotono> "It's a coded message," Sylvie says after a brief examination. "I could crack it with some time."
[20:36] <Muirfinn> "How much time?"
[20:37] <Kotono> "Hour or two," Sylvie says, "It takes time."
[20:38] * Ithea continues keeping watch then, while Sylvie geeks out!
[20:39] <Muirfinn> "Can we spare the time, then? It may be relevant."
[20:39] * Lief shrugs.
[20:40] <Kotono> "It's your choice," Sylvie shrugs as well, "As much as anything matters in the Astral." She sits on a plank of wood, "Just keep a watch out while I'm on this?"
[20:41] * Muirfinn nods. "We can do that."
[20:41] * Lief heads outside of the wreck and starts keeping watch.
[20:44] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:44] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 35 > [d100=35]
[20:45] <Kotono> Later - Sylvie is done, your rest undisrupted. "It's Githyanki papers," Sylvie explains, "They were on a mission to investigate githzerai incursions into the Astral. It doesn't mention anything about devils, which doesn't make sense with how they met their end. I'd guess whatever happened may have been piracy, an attack of opportunity or an accident. Or the githzerai used summoned devils, but
[20:45] <Kotono> that's not normal for them."
[20:47] <Muirfinn> "Hmm. Well, thank you for going through it, Sylvie."
[20:47] <Ithea> "We'll keep an eye out for either. At the worst case, when we get back to Aurora, we can have someone send word to the githyanki about what's happened and our findings."
[20:49] <Kotono> Dusting herself off and standing, "Maybe Balyss can throw some divinations at it.
[20:49] <Kotono> "
[20:51] * Muirfinn nods. "Shall we head on?"
[20:53] * Ithea does just that, beginning to float on out and away from the derelict ship.
[20:53] * Lief follows the cat!
[20:53] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:53] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 47 > [d100=47]
[20:57] <Kotono> The rest of the trip is uneventful. One moment you go through the Silver Sea, the next you see it ahead with a jarring clarity. Bennegar is before you - it is a squat building of stone, large and broad. It rests on a huge slab of rock that floats in the Astral, black volcanic obsidian. Rising from the center is an emerald tower, a delicate line that spirals up and up in loops. It pulses with 
[20:57] <Kotono> energy every few seconds, glowing bright then going dark, only to repeat.
[20:58] * Muirfinn casts Camouflage on himself!
[21:01] * Ithea has no further preparations to take!
[21:03] * Muirfinn also casts Primal Instinct!
[21:04] * Lief casts Nondetection on himself!
[21:05] <Kotono> Spells are cast, protections woven. OOC: Go ahead and get your plan ina ction here, moment, dogs trying to barf.
[21:07] * Muirfinn seeks a good observatory point.
[21:07] <Lief> OOC: If we come across a Devil, I'm going to use Misdirection with it as the target. I have no real other plans for ninja stuff except to avoid as much as possible and go on as direct a route as I can to the tower. Which I'm assuming is the end goal.
[21:09] <Ithea> ooc: I have no plans except to be silent, deadly, and awesome. And follow the other guys around because they probably know what we're doing and I'm just here to do the three things I'm here for.
[21:10] <Lief> OOC: Speaking of, what exactly *are* the goals here?
[21:10] <Muirfinn> OOC: Muydah
[21:13] <Muirfinn> OOC: We're spying. This is an outpost used to supply Lifasa
[21:13] <Lief> OOC: Spying in general, or what specific things are we looking for?
[21:14] <Ithea> ooc: I shall spy then, and if I see any stinking traitors, I shall break spying and murderize them. Sounds like a plan? Sounds like a plan.
[21:15] <Kotono> OOC: Okay. Who's taking point here?
[21:15] <Lief> OOC: I assume I am.
[21:15] <Muirfinn> OOC: You assume correctly
[21:15] <Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[21:16] <Kotono> OOC: Hide checks, all.
[21:16] <Kotono> roll 1d20+45 Sylvie
[21:16] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 57 > [d20=12]
[21:16] <Lief> roll 1d20+62 Hide
[21:16] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 70 > [d20=8]
[21:16] <Ithea> roll d20+50
[21:16] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 59 > [d20=9]
[21:17] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+10+6 I'll be your lodestone for the evening.
[21:17] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=1]
[21:17] <Muirfinn> OOC: Perfection.
[21:17] <Lief> OOC: hahahaha
[21:20] <Kotono> OOC: Oh wow.
[21:20] <Ithea> ooc: I'm going to imagine a colossal dragon holding up a pair of bushes while trying to hide itself behind a large sized boulder.
[21:21] <Muirfinn> OOC: I'm not even a dragon right now
[21:21] <Muirfinn> OOC: I mean I probably will be soon.
[21:23] <Kotono> The party creeps along the side, silent and hidden as you peek around the side of the building. There is an entrance there, a door guarded by two barbazu with glaives ready. The others are virtually unhidden - but somehow Muirfinn goes a little further, sticking out head and shoulders from the wall. Only sheer luck has them not looking that way at the moment, giving the others a chance to react.
[21:23] <Kotono> OOC: Goa head, all but Muirfinn.
[21:25] * Lief panics a little tries to shove Muirfinn's face back around the wall.
[21:25] * Muirfinn pulls back!
[21:26] * Ithea just tries to make sure the duo don't make noise reacting quickly!
[21:27] <Kotono> Sylvie silently facepalms, making nary a sound. As Muirfinn is safely pulled back, she whispers, "What the hell?"
[21:28] * Muirfinn shrugs. "I'm not so great at hiding." Muirfinn says quietly.
[21:29] * Lief shakes his head and peeks around the corner, readying his Misdirection spell.
[21:29] <Kotono> Nimbly peeking over, he can see the guards don't seem to have noticed anythign awry.
[21:30] * Lief fires off his spell, targeting one of the two Barbazu.
[21:32] <Kotono> The spell is so cast, gotten off perfectly and targeting it. Got it!
[21:32] * Lief eyes the building they're guarding for any other ways in.
[21:36] <Kotono> Looking around, Lief cna see no windows - just one way in and out, guarded by the two barbazu
[21:36] <Kotono> .
[21:37] * Lief pulls back to the others.
[21:37] * Lief whispers to them, "I can only see the one way in. We can bypass these guys, or I can try to sneak in along the wall behind them."
[21:40] <Muirfinn> "If you get in, how do the rest of us? I don't want you alone in there."
[21:41] <Lief> "Unless you can think of a way past them, you probably don't. I'm small enough to squeeze in behind them... most likely... but unless you can shrink down..."
[21:41] * Lief shrugs.
[21:42] <Muirfinn> "I can do that, but I'm not sneaky like you are."
[21:43] <Lief> "Anyone else?"
[21:44] <Kotono> Sylvie shakes her head, "I can use a limited wish to shrink one of us to go with you, but that's it."
[21:46] <Lief> "Up to you. Either I go alone, you guys find a way to with me, or we bypass this."
[21:48] <Muirfinn> "How would you suggest we bypass them?"
[21:48] <Lief> OOC: is this just a random building or the green tower? I thought it was a random building.
[21:51] <Kotono> OOC: The building.
[21:51] <Lief> "Circle around?"
[21:52] <Ithea> OOC: *see ooc chan* "Are we still in astral or out of it now?"
[21:53] <Ithea> "Probably."
[21:54] <Muirfinn> "May as well. We need to spy for as long as we can and try to avoid combat. There are likely many devils here."
[21:54] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, so what's the plan?
[21:56] <Muirfinn> OOC: We're gonna sneak in the back door.
[21:56] <Lief> OOC: Circle the building looking for other ways in, I think.
[22:00] <Ithea> ooc: roll hide or move silently to circle?
[22:00] <Kotono> OOC: Okay. Hide again, y'all.
[22:00] <Kotono> roll 1d20+45 Sylvie
[22:00] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 51 > [d20=6]
[22:01] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+10+6
[22:01] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=6]
[22:01] <Ithea> roll d20+50 hide
[22:01] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 59 > [d20=9]
[22:01] <Lief> roll 1d20+62 Hide
[22:01] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 78 > [d20=16]
[22:03] <Kotono> OOC: Also add spot checks.
[22:03] <Lief> roll 1d20+64 Spot
[22:03] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 67 > [d20=3]
[22:04] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+48 spoot
[22:04] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 62 > [d20=14]
[22:05] <Ithea> roll d20+51 spot
[22:05] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 62 > [d20=11]
[22:10] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, was a sec. It's over our time so we'll pause there.

Merc

[20:02] <Muirfinn> [20:09] <@Koaway> OOC: Okay, was a sec. It's over our time so we'll pause there.

[20:04] <Kotono> The party begins to circle around, looking about. There's no sign of another entrance, but you do notice something. Muirfinn's true seeing enhanced eyes can see a sphere of force, surrounding the emerald tower and preventing you from getting close.
[20:05] * Muirfinn quietly point out the sphere, delineating it for the rest of the group.
[20:07] <Ithea> "So what now?" Ithea asks the others for suggestions.
[20:08] <Lief> "I can try to sneak behind them, but that leaves me going solo."
[20:16] <Kotono> Sylvie hums, "That may be best, let Lief scout things out first.
[20:16] <Kotono> "
[20:17] * Lief nods and goes forth, ninja-like to sneak along the wall, to squeeze between it and the devils!
[20:22] <Kotono> OOC: Quick hide check here as you slip by, Lief.
[20:22] <Lief> roll d20+62 Hide
[20:22] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 76 > [d20=14]
[20:29] <Kotono> LIke a ghost, Lief slips on through them and past. Slipping within is simple and ahead is a simple, plain hall. It goes down a little bit, the walls a pale green that pulse to black and then green, back and forth. At the end of the hall is another door.
[20:30] * Lief studies the pulsing and hallway to try and identify if it's trapped.
[20:34] <Kotono> OOC: Search.
[20:35] <Lief> roll d20+32 Search
[20:35] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 38 > [d20=6]
[20:43] <Kotono> There's magic around the door, some sort of trap. Lief can detect it, but he lacks the skills to analyze it. OOC: I don't think Lief has spellcraft, does he?
[20:43] <Lief> OOC: Nope.
[20:43] * Lief sneaks back out to the others rather than risk the trap and detection.
[20:46] <Ithea> "What did you find?" Ithea asks once Lief is safely back with them?
[20:46] <Lief> "Single room, long hallway, green and black light pulsing, door at the end of the hallway is trapped with magic. No idea what kind."
[20:48] <Muirfinn> "Hmm. Can you describe it?"
[20:48] * Lief does his best to!
[20:49] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50
[20:49] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 59 > [d20=9]
[20:51] <Ithea> roll d20+40 spellcraft
[20:51] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 54 > [d20=14]
[20:54] <Kotono> It's hard to tell from a description ,but it's likely some sort of lock based on race or type.
[20:55] <Ithea> "Sylvie or I can sneak with him to try and dispel it and keep exploring, I suppose. We didn't seem to have better options for Muirfinn."
[20:55] * Muirfinn nods.
[20:56] <Lief> "If he can make himself small enough, could one of you carry him?"
[20:56] <Muirfinn> "I can be a bird." Muirfinn helpfully points out.
[20:57] <Ithea> "That could work, actually. Sylvie can carry him, before anybody makes any jokes about the cat catching a bird or whatever the punniest way of putting that is...which I'm now kind of wondering what that'd be."
[20:58] * Muirfinn turns into a seagull!
[21:01] <Kotono> Sylvie takes Muirfinn as requested, the party ready. OOC: Going ot sneak back by, y'all?
[21:01] <Lief> OOC: Yarp.
[21:02] <Muirfinn> OOC: I'm just going to quietly be a bird.
[21:04] <Ithea> roll d20+59 move silently (or -9 to result if hide)
[21:04] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 77 > [d20=18]
[21:05] <Lief> roll d20+62 Hide
[21:05] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 64 > [d20=2]
[21:05] <Kotono> OOC: Honest, y'all beat the DC, even sneaking by them, so handily that no roll is needed here.
[21:05] <Kotono> WIth skills beyond the normal, the trio is able to easily sneak past two attentative guards. They're like the wind, slipping by unstopped and unnoticed.
[21:09] * Ithea examines the spell that blocked Lief more closely now that she can go off more than just description once they reach the room enchanted by it!
[21:09] <Ithea> roll d20+40 spellcraft
[21:09] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 60 > [d20=20]
[21:10] * Muirfinn transforms back, also peering at the door.
[21:10] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50
[21:10] <Serith> Muirfinn roll for Serith < 53 > [d20=3]
[21:16] <Kotono> The door is sealed. It only opens to creatures with the devil subtype. It could be forced but it would be obviously noisy, or proper Use Magic Device could fool it.
[21:16] * Muirfinn explains such to Lief.
[21:16] * Lief does his best!
[21:17] <Lief> roll d20+33 UMD
[21:17] <Serith> Lief roll for Serith < 44 > [d20=11]
[21:23] <Ithea> ooc: Can I help with the check at all? I figure not something I roll against him and see who rolls best, but not sure if I can assist?
[21:23] <Ithea> roll d20+28 UMD assist (if yes, otherwise ignore)
[21:23] <Serith> Ithea roll for Serith < 46 > [d20=18]
[21:23] <Kotono> OOC: Was a sec, sorry. Can you aid another with UMD? Checkr eal quick.
[21:24] <Ithea> ooc: I wasn't sure, that's why I was asking! But I'll check
[21:25] <Ithea> ooc: don't see anything in SRD, just says you can make same kind of skill check to aid another. It says 'In many cases, a character's help won't be beneficial, or only a limited number of characters can help at once.' so I think it's DM call
[21:25] <Ithea> ooc: So I turn it back to you once more!
[21:27] <Kotono> OOC: That's fine, we'll just roll with it.
[21:28] <Kotono> Using his skills, Lief is able to project onto the door. He's fairly sure it should work for them now.
[21:29] <Lief> "I think I got it!"
[21:29] * Lief attempts to open the door!
[21:29] <Muirfinn> "Well done!"

Anastasia

Note: This continues over in post gaming, the topic name infiltrating a diabolical stronghold.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?