The Story of Helck

Started by Dracos, January 16, 2016, 03:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/helck-r17710/

In a land of many types of creatures, there can be no friendship between human and monster.  ...but which ones are the monsters?  This is the story of the great Demon King Helck, carpenter, chef, all around good guy and hero to humans.  When asked why he ascended, he replied simply that he Really Hates Humans.

Anyhow, the story is a straightforward set of subversions of expectation working around ultimate Good Guy Helck and the Demon Pillar Vamira and their quest to wipe humanity from the world, maybe?  Or maybe they're just trying to protect the demon empire as it faces the threat of extinction from two fronts?  Or something more?  It's hard to say, there's a lot of little hooks and the world is expressed to be much larger than most of the cast is even aware ("What do you mean there's somewhere Off the Continent?")  It spends quite a bit of time being silly for a story that involves a fair amount of 'Brother died horribly!'

Overall:Would Read More.
Well, Goodbye.

Olvelsper

It also isn't afraid to have brief asides for comical or dramatic purposes that just flesh out the world more.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Dracos

Also apparently getting translated daily.  Or at least has had an update every day for the last few.  Sometimes a few per day.

It's starting to feel a bit slayerish, with Helck as Gourry and Vamira as Lina.
Well, Goodbye.

Empyrean

Piling my recommendation on top of the others. Helck is the shit.

Not sure what the female lead's name is. Take the word "Vermillion" and run it through the same Japanese word-mangling machine that turned "Verthandi" into "Belldandy" and there you go.

thepanda

And the translations have caught up with Japan. Goodbye speedy updates.

Empyrean

Makes me sad.

Also, calling it right now: when Edil and Hyura have their inevitable hatesex it will break the Earth.

One of them has automatic resurrection, and the other one thinks that regrowing a severed limb in under a minute is "just common sense." Probably not going to be a whole lot of holding back with them.

Even the random mooks are commenting on it now.

Merc

Quote from: thepanda on January 20, 2016, 08:30:04 AM
And the translations have caught up with Japan. Goodbye speedy updates.

So saddening!!! ;_;
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Rello, Rello...

Anyhow, continues to be awesome.
Well, Goodbye.

Olvelsper

Rello is the hero all translators aspire to be.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Merc

The hero we -wish- other translators aspire to be.

Dracos

He is Rello, who thunders above them all, a helck among translators :p
Well, Goodbye.

Empyrean

New chapter's out.

Belligerent sexual tension overcomes all.

Merc

The tension is almost entirely on Edil's side. Hyura is starting to pick up on it and its weirding her out. Which is funny in of itself.

Empyrean

Quote from: Merc on February 07, 2016, 08:38:22 PM
The tension is almost entirely on Edil's side. Hyura is starting to pick up on it and its weirding her out. Which is funny in of itself.
Mostly, although some of it's debatable.

[shipping goggles]

She asked him what was with the sparkles when he smiled at her. I didn't see any sparkles. Did you? Hyura did, though. And she said that his smile was "embarrassing." Not really a rejection; she's embarrassed. Also, her line much earlier about how she hates weak men suggests that she likes strong men. A worthy opponent has a chance, and Edil is all about being Hyura's worthy opponent. Forever.

[/shipping goggles]

She was definitely caught off guard by his whole "If it's you, I want to keep fighting forever because this is so much fun" thing, but some of her later confusion was as she was putting the pieces together that he's been mind controlled. Before she works that out she was upset that he's not seriously trying to kill her, because she likes fighting all out with this guy too. She also acknowledges that it's making her stronger. I suspect that the better he gets, the more she'll want to fight him.

Kaldrak

Well, that was a really enjoyable read. Now I have to wait till the next chapter gets translated though.

Sadness.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."