News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

1.5: It's just the one harpy, actually

Started by Sierra, September 16, 2017, 07:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra

01[12:09] <El-Cideon> Night passes, bringing blessed relief to those still scorched or mildly petrified from yesterday's battle against the murderously magicked livestock. Leona finds that her stony transformation has receded a little bit, though not entirely.
01[12:09] <El-Cideon> OOC: Leona, you heal 1 DEX overnight as is usual with ability damage
01[12:09] <El-Cideon> Deacon Arsene is already at the station waiting for you when you arrive for duty. She has a pair of spectacles on now, and is examining a familiar pile of letters with a frown. The insouciant tabby cat that occasionally calls the watch tower home is also present this afternoon, and is currently using a table leg for a scratching post. It is unlikely that this greatly assists Lunesa in her investigative work.
01[12:09] <El-Cideon> Cala is in the office as well, though she's quietly working at a lunch of hard rations and giving the priestess space to work when you arrive. "Good afternoon, officers," she says, standing in greeting. "Everyone properly mended from yesterday?"
[12:11] <Leona> "Not entirely, but the greyness does seem to be receding," Leona says, lifting up her pants leg to show the afflicted part of her calf. "Still a bit stiff to walk on."
[12:11] <@Santiago> "As best as I can. Though the mental scar of being ignited by an indignant rooster may never fade."
[12:12] <Luiza> "Just be glad we didn't have to fight the cow?"
01[12:12] <El-Cideon> Lunesa sets down her work. "I can help with that now," she says to Leona. "Please hold still a moment." She kneels down by the wound and chants for a moment--
01[12:12] <El-Cideon> roll 1d4 lesser restorations
[12:12] <Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d4 1,0lesser restorations --> 6,0[ 1d4=2 ]4,0{2}
01[12:13] <El-Cideon> --which is partially, but not wholly successful. She frowns. "I prepared another just in case."
01[12:13] <El-Cideon> roll 1d4
[12:13] <Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d4 --> 6,0[ 1d4=3 ]4,0{3}
01[12:14] <El-Cideon> This looks to do the trick! Now Leona's legs are back to their usual, possibly monstrous self. Lunesa stands up again. "That should do it."
[12:14] <Leona> "Good thing you did," Leona says, smiling and rolling her ankle as her flesh is restored to typical olive hue, not currently wearing her monstrous skinsuit. "Thank you, Deacon."
01[12:15] <El-Cideon> "I should thank you all for the risks you take in this line of work," she answers, stepping back to the letter-strewn table.
[12:16] <Leona> "Such is our civic duty," Leona says with a practiced smile.
01[12:18] <El-Cideon> She nods, then continues: "We had young Joana brought over to the temple this morning. I don't think that there's anything that can be done for her right now. Either we'll have to move her to the capital for treatment, or some senior priestess we'll have to come out here. I'm afraid she has a wait ahead of her either way."
[12:19] <Leona> "Poor girl," she says with a more genuine expression of sympathy. "Even when she does get cured she'll have a hard life ahead."
[12:20] <@Santiago> "Do you know if she has any other relatives?"
01[12:22] <El-Cideon> "She has cousins in town yet," Deacon Arsene answers. "If they are unable to care for her, I will see to it that the church arranges something. But more immediately--" She picks up one letter from the table. "--I have high confidence that this last letter was forged."
[12:23] <Luiza> Leaning over, Luiza asks, "How can you tell?"
[12:23] <Leona> She had speculated on it last night, but still that's uncommonly wicked! "Not enough to kill a girl in a duel, but to murder her family in such an underhanded way..." she shakes her head sadly before tossing her hair. "I'm glad I never became a wizard."
01[12:26] <El-Cideon> Lunesa points to several small but key differences in penmanship that support her suspicions. "It's a close match, but I'm skeptical enough of the letter's contents to believe these little errors also support it being faked. I can't begin to guess why someone would do this. But as discussed, I'll send an inquiry to the guild about this when I dispatch my letter to the church."
[12:27] <@Santiago> Santiago folds his hands behind his back. "What will happen to their land?" he wonders, considering their earlier escapades. "Could it be some kind of ploy?"
01[12:29] <El-Cideon> "I expect next of kin will inherit it. Of course, technically that would be Joana. I imagine her aunt and uncle will have to assume guardianship, or something to that extent." She shrugs. "But that's all in the future. I doubt any of her relatives that I know of would be capable of staging a precise arcane scheme of the sort that may have happened here."
[12:32] <Luiza> "What does that leave as motive, then? Revenge? Or a way to sow chaos right here?"
01[12:33] <El-Cideon> Lunesa gathers the spellbook and letters together neatly. "If the Militia has no further need of these, might I retain them for reference?" Cala just nods. "We can hardly open an investigation into something that happened in Vildiana from here. Just let us know whenever you receive word from the capital. Excuse me for a moment, but I need to retrieve something for the squad." Cala disappears up the stairs to the second floor.
[12:34] <@Santiago> "If those animals bred more like themselves, it's possible they could have overwhelmed the town," notes Santiago. "Chickens don't take long to hatch. But I wonder if it wasn't a particularly vicious prank. Some people-" He taps the side of his head with a reluctant frown.
01[12:34] <El-Cideon> Lunesa just shakes her head at Luiza's question. "I'm not presently in a position to guess at motives, I'm afraid." The watch tower cat leaps up onto the table and playfully bats the topmost letter onto the floor. Lunesa shoos it away, then kneels down to retrieve the wayward missive with a sigh.
[12:35] <Leona> "She must have offended someone with a massive vengeful streak," Leona agrees with Santiago.
01[12:36] <El-Cideon> "Vengeance is ever the favored vice of the prideful," Lunesa concludes. She collects the materials and looks around. "If there's nothing else for now, I'll be back to the temple to write some letters."
[12:37] <Leona> "I don't believe so," Leona shakes her head, happy to let Lunesa away with the letters.
01[12:40] <El-Cideon> Lunesa bows and exits the tower. "A good day to you all," she says in parting. Cala shortly returns with an old wooden box full of assorted items rattling about. "Mayor Jorda's convinced a few of the leading local traders to put together an incentive to encourage your work in bringing a bandit gang to justice," she says, "as well as contributing a couple items to the company stores. I consider these personal bequests, not Militia property. You can sell them and split the funds if they're of no use to you."
[12:43] <Luiza> Once more, Luiza is drawn forward by her curiosity!
[12:43] <@Santiago> "Are the other squads beneficiaries as well?" asks Santiago.
[12:43] <Leona> "That was nice of him," Leona says, leaning forward to have a look over Luiza's shoulder.
01[12:45] <El-Cideon> "Not immediately," Sergeant Embriz says to Santiago. "The expressed intent was to demonstrate appreciation of the squad directly responsible for apprehending Petrona's gang--though such rewards are not unheard of in similar circumstances." Cala sets the box on the table and removes the items one by one:
01[12:45] <El-Cideon> First is a quartet of small bags that jingle with the shiny music of coin. She adds a simple amulet, a musket of the finest modern make, and a telescoping spyglass to the table.
01[12:45] <El-Cideon> "Additionally, the Roldans' heirs have asserted in no uncertain terms that the following items could not possibly have belonged to their parents and are not in any way desired by the remaining family." This is followed by placement of the exotically dancing statue and the racy Akaian book upon the table. Cala lets those objects stand in awkward silence for a moment, then concludes, "It's possible that someone, somewhere, might wish to buy these things. I'd consider the resale monies part of a deserved bonus."
01[12:45] <El-Cideon> Then, she adds one more item: "Also, no one at all seems interested in keeping this." Cala tosses Petrona's grimacing, jagged metal mask onto the table with a clunk. It lands face up, silently and sightlessly recriminating.
[12:47] <Leona> "It serves as a trophy," Leona picks up the mask and then puts it on top of the bookshelf, adjusting it to sit nicely before nodding in satisfaction.
[12:47] <@Santiago> Santiago picks up the statue and subjects it to a shameless re-inspection. "Too risque for the ready room, Sergeant? Well, we can always use more trinkets at the bar!"
01[12:49] <El-Cideon> "I could hardly see a better use for it," she agrees with Leona. For Santiago's question, she just looks at the statue, silently, and then looks back at Santiago, silently. "Too much so by half," she answers eventually.
[12:50] <Luiza> Luiza stares at the musket for a long while, before reaching for the amulet.
[12:50] <@Santiago> The statuette disappears into Santiago's pockets, to better hide it from the easily shocked.
01[12:50] <El-Cideon> "I'm told that trinket confers some minor magical protection," Cala says to Luiza.
[12:51] <@Santiago> Santiago peers around at their well-gotten-gains with something resembling magical insight.
01[12:54] <El-Cideon> "Additionally," Cala goes on, "if there are specific requests that might better suit your abilities, do let me know. I'll do what I can to get such requisitions more custom-tailored in the future."
[12:55] <Leona> "Anything to let me hit better or harder with my claws would be useful in this line of work, I suppose," Leona says.
01[12:57] <El-Cideon> This provokes a faint smile. "That's a novel request. I'm not sure what the mayor or the Ministry would make of that, but I'll look into it. I'd venture to guess that it isn't something your average quartermaster normally needs to stock."
[12:57] <Luiza> "I think I'm pretty good, all in all?" Luiza muses. "Maybe something to make me a bit lighter on my feet?"
01[12:58] <El-Cideon> Cala acquires pen and ink and paper and duly makes notes. "Anything else?" She gives Santiago and Morrison a quizzical look.
[12:59] <@Santiago> Santiago gives a careless shrug. "Wands of healing," he suggests. "Ordinary wounds are one thing, but we ought be prepared for more strange maladies encountered in the wild."
[13:01] <Morrison> "I can suffice, but if there's a stronger bow available, I'd take it." He answers.
01[13:02] <El-Cideon> Cala adds this to the list. "It's true. We do have an acolyte on loan from the temple of Peratus when emergencies happen close to home, but that hardly helps if you're in the field at the time." She nods and adds Morrison's preference to the list. "Very good. If that'll be all for now, I'll leave you to your watch."
[13:03] <Leona> Leona grabs a seat and a book at that point, hoping to pass the time peacefully!
01[13:05] <El-Cideon> A couple quiet weeks pass. No word has been received from the capital yet. Instead, autumn approaches and the great harvest festival of Pethsfall draws near. The moon of Livnos is on close approach to the planet lately, casting a faint green pallor over the night countryside when not outshone by the much larger sphere of Pyregon.
01[13:05] <El-Cideon> It's on a casual patrol around town that you're flagged down by someone. A hard-looking middle-aged woman dressed in a city merchant's suit is having an outdoor drink at a tavern by the western road out of Rocina and stands up to hail you as the squad passes by. An armed bodyguard stands silently behind her.
01[13:05] <El-Cideon> "Well, this is timely," the woman says. "I was just thinking I hadn't any more choice than to go to the Militia about things."
[13:06] <@Santiago> "The militia is always keeping the thoughts of our citizens in mind, ma'am," replies Santiago, stepping forward to address her. "What can we do for you?"
[13:06] <Leona> It being a casual patrol, Leona isn't looking particularly monstrous right now. "And what things are troubling you, good woman?" she asks, stopping along with Santiago.
01[13:08] <El-Cideon> She opts to introduce herself first. "Veronica Monteiro, purveyor of exotic spirits." She glances down the western road with a frown. "That is, when they actually arrive. I came over from Solfrina to take charge of a new shipment, but it's two days late. Times being what they are, I'm expecting this means the worst."
[13:09] <@Santiago> "Times being what they are," replies Santiago, grimly. "What route were your goods taking?"
01[13:11] <El-Cideon> "Over the hills from Caxcara," she says. "The overland route's slower, but it used to be more dependable. The sultans are good about securing their roads for trade, and there's no chance of Basse corsairs sinking the lot. Lately, though, I'm thinking I'll have to start importing from the coast instead if this keeps happening."
[13:12] <@Santiago> roll 1d20+9
[13:12] <Rei-chan> 6,0Santiago rolled :6,0 1d20+9 --> 6,0[ 1d20=3 ]4,0{12}
[13:14] <Luiza> roll 1d20+6
[13:14] <Rei-chan> 6,0Luiza rolled :6,0 1d20+6 --> 6,0[ 1d20=16 ]4,0{22}
[13:14] <@Santiago> "We can see about sending a patrol along the route," replies Santiago. "How long do you plan to remain in town?"
[13:16] <Luiza> "It would be an extended patrol," Luiza muses. "A few days to confirm its whereabouts, by my count?"
01[13:18] <El-Cideon> "Long enough for you to come back," she answers drily. She nods to Luiza. "I don't expect you to comb the hills, and I don't know if your authorization even goes that far. But I have my men send a messenger pigeon each time they stop off in a big town, so I know they at least made it to Caxcara. Usually they'll stop at the Laurel Crown before moving on through Rocina. Beyond that it's rough country; if you go that far without finding any sign, I think I'll have to call it a loss."
[13:19] <Leona> "How big a caravan is the shipment?" Leona asks.
[13:20] <@Santiago> "Did it have substantial protection?"
01[13:21] <El-Cideon> "Two wagonloads of barrels, six armed men," she answers.
[13:25] <@Santiago> Six armed men, perhaps overcome by hill guerrillas! Perhaps they should get some loans from another squad to accompany them, muses Santiago. "Very well. Someone will let you know if we find anything shortly, Ms. Monteiro." For now they need to head back to the keep and let the sergeant know.
[13:26] <Leona> "Where can we find you when we have news?" Leona asks before they depart.
01[13:27] <El-Cideon> "I'll take lodging at The Fern," she says, naming an inn just by the Rocina town square.
[13:31] <Leona> "Thanks, we'll stay in touch," Leona says before following Santiago.
01[13:32] <El-Cideon> Cala is at her desk back at the watch tower, while the backup squad is in the main floor office. "What do you need?" Cala asks promptly, looking up from some paperwork.
[13:34] <@Santiago> "We've got a merchant with a late shipment from Caxcara, through the hills," replies Santiago, standing smartly at attention. "She suspects banditry and has asked us to investigate. Her shipment was guarded by some six men, so if she's right there must be some tough customers out there."
[13:36] <Luiza> "We really cannot allow for a group strong enough to take on such a protective detail to roam free and prey on travelers," Luiza adds, mirroring Santiago.
[13:36] <Leona> "Or they had an inside man," Leona offers another supposition. "Either way, more banditry."
01[13:38] <El-Cideon> "I could spare a couple hands from watch duty right now," she says. "Pick up Zoraida and Silvia from downstairs on your way out. If you need more than that, I'll have to call up someone off-duty in town."
[13:40] <@Santiago> "Aye, sergeant," replies Santiago, turning about to go find the junior squad.
[13:40] <Leona> "It won't be a quick run out," Leona glances at Luiza for confirmation. "A few days, right? That means roughing it."
[13:40] <Luiza> "And it is a hilly area, so looking through the route would be difficult," Luiza responds with a nod. "Best to set off with that in mind."
01[13:45] <El-Cideon> The selected members of the junior squad seem eager to get out and encounter some actual fieldwork; Zoraida is a sweet-faced, buxom squaddie with a mane of black ringlets and a longspear at hand; Silvia is a cheery, diminutive blond with a crossbow. "Where are we going?" Silvia asks excitedly on the way out, sticking close to Santiago.
[13:46] <@Santiago> "Hiking," replies Santiago, grabbing his spear from the corner before walking through the door. "We're going to take the road to Caxcara until we reach an inn called the Laurel Crown. Then, we'll ask about a trade caravan that should have passed through it, yet mysteriously disappeared before it could reach Rocina."
[13:46] <Luiza> "We  should try to check the towns Miss Monteiro mentioned along the way," Luiza mentions.
01[13:47] <El-Cideon> Cala notes in parting that she can easily have Amelia--the older, blond officer with a tracking dog--follow up on your trail later in the day if you're not back by nightfall.
[13:48] <Leona> Leona is unsure if they'd expect to be back that soon even under ideal circumstances, so defers to Luiza's wisdom on the matter!
[13:49] <Luiza> "Better safe than sorry," Luiza agrees.
01[13:49] <El-Cideon> "How much trouble are we expecting?" Zoraida asks as you walk, sticking to practical questions and not sounding too disturbed by the prospects ahead.
[13:50] <Leona> "A group of bandits strong enough to take out a caravan with a half dozen armed guards," Leona answers Zoraida.
[13:50] <@Santiago> "We don't know their size or their modus operandi," replies Santiago. "We might well be ambushed if we're not careful along the way."
[13:52] <Leona> With that warning in mind, Leona takes a minute to adopt her quadruple-armed monstrous form!
01[13:54] <El-Cideon> "I will keep my eyes peeled!" Silvia says alertly, starting to watch the road as you set out.
01[13:54] <El-Cideon> OOC: what's the plan from here?
[13:54] <Luiza> OOC: The guy with survival takes the lead and we follow the path to the first town!
01[13:56] <El-Cideon> OOC: okay. Morrison, go ahead and roll first off?
[13:56] <Morrison> OOC: Sure
[13:57] <Morrison> roll 1d20+8
[13:57] <Rei-chan> 6,0Morrison rolled :6,0 1d20+8 --> 6,0[ 1d20=14 ]4,0{22}
01[14:00] <El-Cideon> It's about three hours march west of town before something unusual turns up. The western road is rutted and pitted with years of wagon passage that makes it hard to pick out any specific trail, but something does stand out to the trained eyes of the party's tracker--
[14:04] <Morrison> "Over here." Morrison calls out as he directs everyone to a patch of ground that is suspiciously discolored.
[14:05] <Morrison> "This isn't just dirt -- it's blood, a lot of it. Likely from a day or two ago." He explains.
[14:05] <Leona> Leona walks over to have a look. Is it just one big patch or multiple spatters all around?
[14:05] <@Santiago> "Let's look around for other signs of a fight," suggests Santiago.
[14:06] <Luiza> "So they almost made it," Luiza says sadly. "How much is a lot? How many... I mean, people?"
01[14:06] <El-Cideon> OOC: Perception?
[14:06] <Leona> roll 1d20+8
[14:06] <Rei-chan> 6,0Leona rolled :6,0 1d20+8 --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{19}
[14:08] <Morrison> "It's just a guess, but... it's enough to be the missing guards." He says.
[14:08] <Luiza> roll 1d20+7
[14:08] <Rei-chan> 6,0Luiza rolled :6,0 1d20+7 --> 6,0[ 1d20=15 ]4,0{22}
01[14:08] <El-Cideon> Silvia stays on watch, keenly scanning the roadside for any possible further ambush, while Zoraida watches interestedly the investigative work--
01[14:08] <El-Cideon> roll 1d20-1
[14:08] <Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20-1 --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{3}
01[14:08] <El-Cideon> --which she herself isn't especially skilled at.
[14:08] <@Santiago> roll 1d20+2
[14:08] <Rei-chan> 6,0Santiago rolled :6,0 1d20+2 --> 6,0[ 1d20=7 ]4,0{9}
[14:10] <Luiza> Drifting a bit further, Luiza picks up the longsword she spotted.
01[14:14] <El-Cideon> "What did we find?" Zoraida prompts, leaning on her spear in the late afternoon heat and apparently admitting defeat at detecting out whatever happened here on her own.
[14:15] <Luiza> "Signs of a battle," Luiza responds. Morrison, can you tell where the victors went?"
[14:15] <Leona> "Some blood and a sword," Leona gestures to what Luiza's grabbed. "No sign of the wagons being driven off the road that I can see, though."
[14:16] <Morrison> "Mm..." He kneels down to have a closer look. Maybe...?
01[14:16] <El-Cideon> Silvia breaks off her watch and looks back at the crime scene. "I'm very impressed!" she says encouragingly to Morrison. "I wouldn't have spotted that bloodstain on my own."
[14:18] <Morrison> "They weren't driven off-road, but... Do you mean if I can tell where they might've gone after? No." He shakes his head. "The road is just too worn and used."
[14:20] <Luiza> "In that case let's keep going to the Laurel Crown," Luiza proposes. "If we spot wagons going off the path, we could follow. And if not, we'll ask the people there."
[14:20] <Leona> "That's about all we can do," Leona agrees with that.
01[14:22] <El-Cideon> OOC: can roll Survival again before moving along, I think
[14:22] <Morrison> roll 1d20+8
[14:23] <Rei-chan> 6,0Morrison rolled :6,0 1d20+8 --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{19}
01[14:24] <El-Cideon> The days are growing shorter, and the sun's rays are just on the wane by the time you reach a minor shred of civilization.
01[14:24] <El-Cideon> A small settlement composed of some dozen houses crouches in the woods just at the foot of the hills. Axcon is a mere blip on the map of Verdana, grown up around one of the western road's finer lodging houses, which dominates the local surroundings. Most of the simple commoners' hovels likely house the inn's employees.
01[14:24] <El-Cideon> The Laurel Crown is a fine-looking establishment of two floors, constructed of wood and everywhere in good repair. It looks like a safe and comfortable place to rest for the night after a wearying journey through the Alcara Hills. A stable is attached to one side of the inn. Trees shade the road here, and ring the hostel so that patrons might dine comfortably outdoors in the shade during warmer weather.
01[14:24] <El-Cideon> No such patrons are immediately apparent upon your arrival, although a cleanshaven young man in a stablehand's coveralls leans against the stable wall smoking from a pipe, and a harpy can be spotted in the branches of a tree across the road. Her dress is ragged and suggests a career of vagrancy; she keeps as close an eye on the inn as a dog would its master's table during supper.
01[14:24] <El-Cideon> As you reach the scene, the stablehand kicks loose a stone from the ground and then hurls it at the loitering bird-woman. The rock shoots wide of the mark, but nonetheless dislodges her from her perch. With a squawked curse, she takes flight and wings down the road to the high branches of a more distant tree. Then the stablehand goes back to casually smoking his pipe.
[14:24] <Morrison> Morrison will explain as they go he doesn't see anything resembling a two-wagon caravan being diverted off the road.
[14:25] <Luiza> Luiza approaches the stablehand, calling out, "Good evening!"
[14:26] <Leona> Leona dismisses her skinsuit as they reach civilization once more so as to present a more friendly face, following along behind Luiza.
01[14:27] <El-Cideon> "Evening, folks," he says, affably enough. He scans the group and, concluding no one has anything to stable, says, "You ladies and gentlemen are looking for lodging, you'd best speak to Mister Pascuale inside."
[14:28] <@Santiago> "How long have the harpies been bothering you?" asks Santiago.
[14:28] <Leona> "Actually you might be able to help us with finding someone who was stabled here recently. Did you have a caravan of two wagons with six guards here in the last couple of days? Carrying exotic spirits?" Leona asks.
01[14:31] <El-Cideon> "Oh, Mireni?" He glances back down the road with an annoyed look. "It's just her, near as I can tell. Guess the other bird ladies don't even want to do with her. She hangs around, filches leftovers from hog troughs, generally stinks up the place. Damned nuisance." He shakes his head. To Leona, he answers: "What we mostly get is traders through here. But we had a group about that size left yesterday morning, sure."
[14:32] <@Santiago> "You know her name?" asks Santiago, surprised. He wasn't even sure harpies had names.
[14:33] <Luiza> "Did you see anyone else following them, by chance?"
01[14:35] <El-Cideon> "Sure," he answers. "She tried begging first, but folks got fed up with that real quick." He eyes Santiago's badge. "No one would mind if you saw fit to haul her off. Decent folk trying to do business oughtn't be bothered, right? There should be a law." He shakes his head to Luiza. "Not that I recall, ma'am."
[14:40] <Luiza> "Would it be fair to say we are the first people you've seen traveling this road after the caravan had left?"
01[14:42] <El-Cideon> He shakes his head. "No ma'am, we had a couple other wagons set out just this morning. Bit of an empty house right now though, I'm sure the master and missus would be happy to see someone sweep in and order a round."
[14:42] <Leona> "Maybe the harpy saw something if she hangs around out here all the time? She has a high vantage to look from," Leona suggests, walking over to the tree. "Hello! Can you talk to us?" she calls up.
01[14:45] <El-Cideon> "Might be I could," she calls down in a hoarse and not terribly friendly voice. "What's in it for me if I did?" She asks before budging an inch.
[14:46] <Leona> "I'll buy you a drink or some food from the inn?" she offers.
[14:47] <@Santiago> "We've got some Bassian wine!"
01[14:48] <El-Cideon> "The price is right, but they won't let me in!" she answers. "There's good scraps in there, too. I'll wait down the road," she decides, before descending to lean against a stout old tree some ways past the edge of town.
[14:54] <Leona> "I'll be back with some carry-out and some wine then," Leona calls to the harpy before they go inside.
01[14:55] <El-Cideon> The common room of the Laurel Crown is open to both stories of the lodging house, a balcony on the second floor overlooking the dining area. Broad, high windows let in plenty of natural light. There is a raised stage with a piano upon it at the far end of the common room, presently unused. The furniture here looks sturdy and clean.
01[14:55] <El-Cideon> The only patrons present in the common room at this time are a trio of elves huddled at one secluded table, all of them dressed with the color and flash of traveling entertainers. Two of them are men, and are likely to be brothers—they have the same brilliant blond hair, carefully braided, and look much alike in sharing the same high-cheeked bone structure. One of them carries a guitar, though not, at the moment, for playing. It is instead being carefully polished, obsessively scrutinized for chips or other defects, and otherwise fussed over, with only the occasional testing of a string for tone.
01[14:55] <El-Cideon> The third elf—occupying the back corner seat, and flanked somewhat protectively by the men—is a woman. She would likely draw the eye even in the most cosmopolitan crowd; that she stands out in the environs of Rocina is an understatement. Her hair falls loose to her hips, and is colored a distinctive royal purple. She is very slender, and looks almost engineered for dancing. Even in casual movements, idle hand gestures during conversation, she exhibits unusual grace and dexterity.
01[14:55] <El-Cideon> From behind a desk which seems to serve double duty both for booking into a room and ordering meals, the apparent proprietor waves. A stout, middle-aged man with graying hair and a rather bulbous nose, he calls out, "Good afternoon, officers!" in a voice practiced at announcing last call over boisterous nighttime crowds. A woman of similar age and proportions sits by his side, wearing a mob cap and reading a novel.
[14:57] <@Santiago> Santiago walks up to the man in his corporal capacity! "Evening, sir," he replies. "Dangerous times outside. Have you heard any news of grim activities hereabouts?"
01[15:00] <El-Cideon> "We get all kinds of frightful tales from travelers coming over the hills," he answers. "You know, just how the writers all talk about the southwest country these days. All ghosts and brigands. Ghastly stuff. But in town, no sir. Worst I heard of was those traders got murdered on the way to Rocina a few weeks back. Awful business, that."
[15:02] <@Santiago> "I see. We're looking for some folk who passed through here recently, but never seemed to quite make it to Rocina. We fear the worst. Half a dozen guards with a wagon, does that strike a bell?"
[15:03] <Leona> "Also if you've got any hot food to go I'll take what's available," Leona says. "For the trip back."
[15:03] <Luiza> Luiza tries to keep an eye on the establishment's patrons as this investigation proceeds, to judge their reactions.
01[15:06] <El-Cideon> He nods. "Yessir, I think I know the lot you mean. Loaded up with barrels of ale from the west, aye? They stayed a night and then moved on yesterday morning." He interrupts his recollections to announce to his wife: "Adela, fetch us a hot meal and drink for the lady officer, willya?" She disappears back into the kitchen to get to work.
[15:11] <Leona> "Thank you," Leona says. "The wagon never made it to Rocina, unfortunately. Did anyone else set off around the same time as them?"
01[15:13] <El-Cideon> He shakes his head. "No ma'am, that was it for that morning. I do hope nothing misfortunate's happened to them. It's awful what the kingdom's coming to when even the common roads aren't safe to travel."
[15:14] <Luiza> Luiza drifts over to the elves, greeting them with, "Good evening, Sirs. Madam. Have you been here for long?"
01[15:16] <El-Cideon> The two male elves look up with a wary and unwelcoming expression, but the woman is happy to answer in a cheerful, clear voice: "We've been in for a couple days now, miss. We're practicing for the harvest festival in town."
[15:18] <Luiza> "I don't mean to interrupt your preparations, but I wanted to ask if you've seen anyone pay special attention to the caravan carrying spirits while it stayed here with you the other day."
01[15:20] <El-Cideon> "Oh, those lads?" She shakes her head. "I saw them come and go, but we haven't mingled much with the other patrons. If you're asking, did they cause trouble for other guests or did they have anyone from town show an interest in them, not that I saw, miss."
01[15:21] <El-Cideon>  A serving girl, a petite brunette with braided hair, soon emerges from the kitchen with a hot plate of cooked meat and vegetables for Leona, along with a bottle of local ale. Surely not as good as Leona's own, of course.
[15:22] <Luiza> Luiza nods, having expected as much. "What about those who eventually followed them over to Rocina? Were any of those caravans empty to a degree?"
01[15:24] <El-Cideon> Again, the elf maiden shakes her head with a tumble of violet hair. "There were more out this morning, but from what I saw, their wagons were loaded for bear. I suppose they pack on as much as the horses can pull when they're trekking from so far away, yes?"
[15:24] <Leona> Leona pays for it with a few silver and transfers the food to a bowl from her travel bag, holding a pot-lid over it to keep the heat in. "For the road," she explains to any curious looks.
[15:25] <Luiza> "That's how it usually works," Luiza agrees. "Thank you for your time!"
01[15:27] <El-Cideon> "Of course. We are happy to help." She waves Luiza away with a smile. "And if you are in Rocina for the harvest festival, we humbly suggest it to be well worth your while to seek out the stage when Zia and her Twin Stars take their turn to perform."
[15:28] <Luiza> "Ah, I would love to!" But she's on the job, of course, and seeing as nothing relevant is forthcoming rejoins Leona.
[15:31] <Leona> "Well, lets go back outside, see what else we can find on the road," Leona leads the way out, back to the tree the harpy waits by.
01[15:32] <El-Cideon> Zoraida and Silvia opted to wait outside while the squad canvassed the tavern; Zoraida is speaking to her partner as you emerge: "No, I don't think he's married, but--" Then she cuts off, a little sheepishly, and the two rejoin the squad as they troop down the road to where Mireni waits. "What is it you've got for me?" the harpy asks, a little wary of the large size of the squad but apparently encouraged by the aroma of a hot meal coming her way. She looks a very disreputable figure, dressed in old rags, her long hair one massive tangle, and not looking or smelling to have recently been acquainted with a bath.
[15:33] <Leona> "Here you go," Leona takes the lid off and offers Mireni the bowl, resigning herself to never seeing it again. A bottle of ale is also handed over.
01[15:34] <El-Cideon> The harpy greedily snatches both, sets the bottle of ale against the trunk of the tree and digs into the dinner without recourse to utensils even should they be offered. "'s good," she says after downing a haunch of meat. "Pascuales might be sots, but they put out a good plate. What is it that you're wanting to hear, then?"
[15:35] <@Santiago> "We want to know about local bandits," replies Santiago. "We're pretty sure one group of travellers got mobbed recently, so's we're looking to find culprits. Have you seen anything?"
[15:35] <Leona> "Two wagons left here yesterday morning, six guards with them," Leona explains. "Did you see them leave? Did you see anyone following them? Or see them come back later without those six guards?"
01[15:40] <El-Cideon> "I see most things that happen around here," she says. She sniffs at the vegetables, wrinkles her nose a little in distaste, but hunger apparently dictates she polish off the plate anyway. She drops the bowl carelessly (maybe if Leona's lucky, it won't break?) and retrieves the ale. "One lot of guardsmen looks a lot like another to me. But I saw those folk leave yesterday, and I saw other folk with a couple wagons ride right on by the tavern later. Odd thing, that, seeing as it's a long way to the next town. Figure folk would want to get a full belly before starting into the hills."
[15:40] <Leona> Leona rescues her plate! "Which way did they go?"
01[15:41] <El-Cideon> "Up and out of town, Militia lady," she says, uncorking the ale. She points west, opposite Rocina, toward the wilderness.
[15:42] <@Santiago> Santiago glances up. "You want to help us find them?" he asks, surmising that this is not actually a small area at all.
[15:43] <Luiza> "How well do you know these hills, and the best hiding spots in them?" Luiza elaborates, following up on Santiago's words.
01[15:47] <El-Cideon> "I could, if you make it worth my while." She tosses back the ale and sighs. "Dinner's nice, but what'd be nicer is coin to keep me fed for more'n one night. See, Mireni's not stupid. I can put things together now. I can think of something else you might not know you need to ask." She grins. It's not a pleasant sight, that mouthful of needle teeth. "If you're generous."
[15:50] <Leona> "Here," Leona reaches into her coinpurse and hands over three shiny gold coins, just enough to have fun clinking together!
01[15:53] <El-Cideon> "It'll do for now," she says, quickly snatching the coins away and putting them away in a pocket. "I can show you around if you tell me what you're looking for. I've got some ideas. But I'll want a little more if it looks like this trip's making me enemies, right?"
[15:55] <Leona> "Well what's this thing that we haven't guessed we need to ask?" Leona asks before they go anywhere.
01[15:58] <El-Cideon> "I didn't see anybody go out after these men you're looking for," she says. "But I was behind the tavern waiting for them to toss the scraps the night before." Mireni makes this admission without evident shame. "While I'm up in the trees after with my supper, someone pops out the tavern and runs off into the woods. I thought that's odd, because what's a human got to do in the woods late at night, eh?"
[15:58] <Luiza> "Did you see who it was, or follow them?"
01[16:01] <El-Cideon> "One of those serving girls. I dunno one from the other. But I followed her until she met up with a man dressed like one of your fancy magicians. I didn't get too close because I don't need a faceful of lightning just for curiosity. But he's nobody lives in town for sure, and the two were real friendly. So when you folks come to me saying a couple wagons disappeared, I wonder, well, why was this tavern lady talking to dangerous strangers the night before, right?"
01[16:06] <El-Cideon> ~