News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Random work tales

Started by Dracos, October 27, 2017, 12:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Not bitching really.  Not cheering.  But hey, something ye feel like sharing.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

<Gatewalker> also, drac I found another workshirt for you
<Gatewalker> <Gatewalker> https://imgur.com/gallery/GE57S
<Dracos> heyo xorn-peopleallergy
<Dracos> ...
<Dracos> maaan
<Gatewalker> that just sounded exactly like something you would want to say to your coworkers sometimes
<Dracos> https://imgur.com/gallery/GE57S/comment/1156941735
<Dracos> I cannot get that shirt.
<Dracos> it would end badly
<Dracos> Some...really...really...stupid engineer today decided to argue with me during a post-mortem.  He'd been quiet, and we'd gone over what went wrong...
<Dracos> and thought we had everything
<Dracos> then he explained why they introduced the bug in the first place...trying to blame my team for causing them to do so.
<xorn-peopleallergy> <_<
<xorn-peopleallergy> incredible
<Dracos> Before that moment I thought they were honestly fixing a real problem.  I mean sure I wasn't sure what it was, but the guy who made the commit was competent.  Surely he had a good reason, and it was processes errors after that point that caused the issue.
<Dracos> There were enough of those after all.
<Dracos> But no...  This guy was all "Well, our feature deployment started failing with an error about game code and we went to you guys and got told it was game code so we worked around it.  Really, it's your fault, it was a benign error anyway, so it shouldn't have failed."
<Gatewalker> ...
<Dracos> "We didn't know about this new policy you guys forced on us that errors fail the build."
<xorn-peopleallergy> ....incredible
<Dracos> Congrats dude, you ensured I had a prompt discussion with your boss on your behavorial issues on proper engineering behavior with errors immediately that day.  Way to argue :)
<Dracos> Benign Error.  Harmless 5-car pileup.  Walkable yawning pit.
<Dracos> And had he not brought that up, I totally wouldn't have known they had caused it for such an innanely stupid reason as 'to make the error message go away that we don't understand'.
<Dracos> Since plenty of other stupid things had been done to cause problems after that point.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

This thread...it is dangerous.

>_>

Also, nice shirt.

<_<
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Kaldrak

I received a slightly longer winded version of the following information from the president of the college I work for.

Due to the failure of the state that funds us passing a budget, we can no longer pay the janitors to collect trash from your offices, you'll have to do it yourselves.

In other, unrelated news, here are a bunch of emails about new hires in administrative positions.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Yuthirin

Quote from: Kaldrak on October 27, 2017, 05:05:29 AM
I received a slightly longer winded version of the following information from the president of the college I work for.

Due to the failure of the state that funds us passing a budget, we can no longer pay the janitors to collect trash from your offices, you'll have to do it yourselves.

In other, unrelated news, here are a bunch of emails about new hires in administrative positions.
So...American college administration at its finest?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Kaldrak

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 30, 2017, 04:04:16 PMSo...American college administration at its finest?

What you don't understand is the sheer amount of administration required to administrate other administrators, who in turn, need to administrate the administration which exists below them. At some point you get to managers and supervisors, but those people need to be administrated as well. Because you see, even small colleges are likely to have at least as many administrators as they have actual teaching faculty if not more.

Because...reasons.

And those people are expensive. Me emptying the trash from my office from now on and having reduced mail service (which they cut back about a year ago) is a small price to pay for all of these hoity toity peeps with their fancy dandy degrees who need to tell each other, and eventually us, what to do all the time.

After all, that's just common sense.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."