News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Salvation (Everyone)

Started by Anastasia, January 03, 2018, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"Well..." Sylvie begins, accepting that on face value.

Waiting on Jaela here, these are all just starters for everyone.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Jaela is the the rare general not in attendance in the courtyard, seated as she is at Aurora's command chair. Perhaps it is petty of her, or even superstitious, but she was the one to first move the rechristened Aurora after they discovered it, and she wants to be the one to take it into its final battle as well.

That's not to say she'll seclude herself inside; in fact, with the improvements to the control systems and her own illusionary magic, she can project an image of herself to the troops at the right moment and send them into battle under her command. More than that, Jaela intends to see just how far the protection from the Duke of Destiny's reach can extend, and so Gae Buidhe rests upon her lap, glittering with its inner light.

"Are we all properly connected?" she asks Vul'lath, since there are too many officers to inter-connect them all and he's her choice for a suitable hub. His high intellect and tendency to stay behind and guard their home makes him a perfect choice, in fact, just as Vivantha is one for a replacement pilot who could keep morale up for the troops stationed throughout Aurora during its defense.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"We are," Vul'lath agrees, "We only await word from Makaril."

A beat and then another, "Now. Makaril has sent word."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Get a Gate opened," Jaela tells Vul'lath, confident that he'll relay this to the officer nearest the main gates. Afina looks to be in the best spot, judging by the tactical map. For her part, Jaela prepares to guide Aurora into widening that rift and taking the fortress through!

Anastasia

Quick OOC question: Who is leading the first attack here? I'm under the impression it'll be an NPC, but correct me if I'm wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Adrian will lead the forces. Afina will guard the gates and see whether a high-ranking devil shows up. Jaela will control Aurora and guide Aurora's defenses. Gisfal should be getting ready to take overall command if a high-ranking devil does show up and draws us into fighting it. Vivantha is the reserve pilot, in that case.

Anastasia

Right.

In the courtyard, word ripples out like a wave. Forces gather and marshal, Adrian stepping forward. "We're go as soon as the portal opens and we're stable!" Adrian shouts, "FOR LIFASA!"

A roar goes up in the courtyard, thousands and thousands and thousands of voices echoing that, as a portal begins to form in front of Aurora.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"For Lifasa!" a tiny cute voice takes up that cry before Afina takes wing and flies out of the way, patting Smrgol on the head in passing. She needs to conserve her strength for other battles but she'll be watching... and being the first line of defence for Aurora against any infiltrators trying to slip in amidst the confusion of battle.

Anastasia

Lead by Adrian, soldiers pour out as reality changes. Before you is a blasted, broken hellscape. The sky is an angry, infected red, leaking flame and brimstone like tears. The ground is pitted and cracked, broken dreadfully from a thousand rifts, from the tiny to the huge. Before you is a blackened castle and two armies - one lead by a shining star and one lead by a great, glowing red star, a pit fiend that casts a darkness that counters Makaril's light.

To this Adrian and his forces pour out, gushing into the battlefield as the war is at last joined.

> roll 1d100 luck first, Lady Luck always plays a role, lower the better for y'all
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 76 > [d100=76]

> roll 1d100 luck first, Lady Luck always plays a role, lower the better for y'all
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 76 > [d100=76]
> roll 1d20+32 Adrian
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 45 > [d20=13]
> roll 1d20+41 Makaril
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 59 > [d20=18]
> roll 1d20+40 pit fiend
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 48 > [d20=8]

Quick transparency note: We don't use a Knowledge (Tactics) skill or anything to represent military knowledge and general command skill. For quick and dirty purposes here, as I don't care to get into the nitty-gritty of combat, any relevant checks related to this is the character's hit dice + Int modifier + Cha modifier + Anything I feel should apply. Hit dice is because if we did use this skill, it's one that any general would invest max ranks into for practical reasons, and it's something you all should be skilled at by now IC.

In any case, this is meant to determine the general flow of battle and help shape what happens, as well as determine how luck factors into these ongoing battles.

From the party's position in the courtyard, you can see it. A tense struggle that Makaril is holding off, blocking the fortress from the devilish counter attack, is tipped by Adrian's forces. It is not an easy battle, nor is it a quick one, but the devilish reinforcements are being pushed back. In the sky angels face off against erinyes and malebranche, arrows raining from below to pepper both sides. Spells fling, devilish curses met by holy benedictions.

'Everyone, we're doing good here,' Adrian sends, 'We have more troops and Hell's center is buckling.'

Meanwhile in Aurora's command center, Jaela can see it. The illusions draw the battlefield, Adrian slamming into the devils from their flank while Makaril presses the center now, going on the offensive. They're being funneled up and away in a general fighting retreat.

Chance for you to use any of Aurora's shiny options to help, if you choose to, Jaela. The rest of you can react, talk or do whatever you like in response to this.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Jaela observes the battle on their doorstep, looking for the right moment to use Holy Word through the illusionary battlefield.

Nephrite

"So when is the other shoe going to drop, I wonder?" Moore asks aloud. "They surely had to anticipate this in some fashion, so what's their next plan... hmm..."

Is it possible to roll a BS K:Tactics here to try and consider options or if Hell is purposely trying to draw back into a trap or something?

Anastasia

What's the right moment here, Jaela? Just a little more detail of what you're looking for would help.

Sure, Moore. You have bardic knack so something should cover that.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

When there's a lot of low-level enemies that will be hit by it, particularly when our forces are pressing them and could utilize the created opening well.

Yuthirin

Recommending you drop the Sunfire Purifier golem directly on top of a large mass of devils. It can sort of fly and deals extra damage when dropped like a stone.

Also it's so stuffed full of goldenfire that it might as well be an actual Sun. I'm hoping Lathander can pull some shenanigans through it once it's on Lifasa proper. I expect it will quickly become a priority target though.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin