News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Level up time draws near. Be prepared. Notes.

1. No DvR increases quite yet, though Alicia and Seira have both made headway.
2. If possible I'd like to finish events in Tryll and Alyssa's excursions before they level up, but we'll see how that looks Friday evening.
3. Everyone else is in a good lull and time to level up, which is what I was angling for. Not going to quite get it all at once, we'll see. Monday may be a down day depending, or possibly Friday depending again on how things go.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Okay, right now I feel it's a good time to talk about level ups. The set up I had for level ups at the beginning of this game isn't going to quite work, and let me explain why.

My basic idea was that nodes would all level up at the same time. You see, power disparity is something I do worry about in this game. The fact is that each node has a different power level, something I take into consideration for balancing the game. Simply put, I don't want any node to feel like they're the weak and disadvantaged node, which I feel can brew bad feelings. While I've done a lot to mitigate this and lessen any effects of that when it is true - and honestly it will be, five different groups will all be at least a little different no matter what even before bringing DvR into it - I don't feel that keeping level ups for each node pegged to one another is practical.

Back in prep, I was thinking I could juggle the pace of all five nodes so that this would work smoothly. While it hasn't gone completely off track, various gaming realities, juggling different posting styles, adventuring styles and time commitments has proven to be more than this hopeful idea could handle. Additionally, the fully formed nodes have been ready to come out swinging, while Moore's node is closely behind them. Tryll's (about 95% due to timing issues with Yuth, life just hasn't cooperated for him) and Alyssa's (tons of foundational work to do that has to be done) are behind there, and Alyssa's more behind than Tryll's.

So right now I'm having a debate and I'd like everyone's feedback on which options you like here.

1. Keep going the course, people all level up at the same time. Pros: Easiest to manage, keeps levels even between nodes. Cons: Doesn't fit narratives or how much a node is getting done, can feel artificial.

2. Peg level ups to each node and don't worry about it. Level ups come for a node when they're earned. Pros: Easier to manage, lets me worry about level ups on a node by node basis. Cons: Increases power disparity between nodes (though admittedly in some cases it can narrow it too, varies depending on which nodes get more levels), any act of plot to catch people up if desired can feel artificial and cheating the nodes who were ahead. I'm not saying there will be one, but CYA in case there is.

3. Crazy third option I haven't thought of. Pros: ??? Cons: ???
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Due to the nature of you running what amounts to 5 different games taking place over relatively different periods of time (with the understanding there's some handwaving to make this not a nightmare) I'm all for option 2.

I don't think it really makes a difference if Moore, Tryll and Alyssa all gain 5 levels and Seira and Alicia only gain 1. That gap isn't really changing much there, in my opinion.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 12, 2018, 10:50:24 PM
2. Peg level ups to each node and don't worry about it. Level ups come for a node when they're earned. Pros: Easier to manage, lets me worry about level ups on a node by node basis. Cons: Increases power disparity between nodes (though admittedly in some cases it can narrow it too, varies depending on which nodes get more levels), any act of plot to catch people up if desired can feel artificial and cheating the nodes who were ahead. I'm not saying there will be one, but CYA in case there is.

Personally, I'm fine with this. I fully know that it'll wind up with my being lagging really far behind the others, and for the most part I'm okay with that. That said, if it truly becomes an issue, I'm sure we can work out a way to level the field, so to speak, easily enough. Some sort of super lynchpin quest or an opportunity to pull a Lixer and take over some chunk of previously uncontrolled something or skillfully usurp something to level things out. I honestly don't see it being that much of an issue, for me at least.

I sorta say this coming from a personal expectation of some bits of reworking and needing custom stuff to balance out Alyssa's build. I'm still sorta feeling things out and reading/delving more into transmutation spells, as that's what I want her build to be based around. The whole MotUH thing was what I planned on having a hefty chunk of her direct-damage coming from with Transmutation being a focus for de-/buffing, and general magical utility. I think with the item familiar and AAA spell, I've got the first part of it down fairly decently, outside of combat testing, and that's what I really wanted to establish first. Next comes the Transmutation focus, and we've already talked about a few ideas there.

What that means is that Alyssa, and her node, are still very much under construction, and as such, being the most 'under-powered' node is what I expected when I went with a new character instead of revisiting an existing one. That said, if you're concerned about it on my end, we can talk about including stuff in the foundational work that will pay off bigger dividends later and eventually help level out the power levels. I feel like Coordinated Spell is a decent starting point for that, and there can be other things we hash out also.

While I play Alyssa as my character, I'm trying to keep her role as head of the order in mind with her decision, and so I feel like it's understandable for her to be a bit less personally powerful (outside of being a fuck-all powerful mage), and have a decent bit of that lagging behind made up by the order. Most of the others seem to focus their resource gathering/strengthening from a small core group of supporters, and I think the order might, with sufficient work, be able to eventually outstrip those capabilities.

Just my $0.02 thoughts, tho.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on July 12, 2018, 10:59:48 PM
Due to the nature of you running what amounts to 5 different games taking place over relatively different periods of time (with the understanding there's some handwaving to make this not a nightmare) I'm all for option 2.

I don't think it really makes a difference if Moore, Tryll and Alyssa all gain 5 levels and Seira and Alicia only gain 1. That gap isn't really changing much there, in my opinion.

Yeah, DvR is a big changer, which is one reason why the possibility of everyone getting is one I've maintained.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 12, 2018, 12:56:58 PM
Suggestions welcome for things beyond that.

Would like to talk about a few spells/ideas. Specifically:
-Trait Suppression combat spell. Regular spell removes a trait for hours and has a long cast time. Something with a sped up casting time and lasting either rounds or minutes. Maybe something with a condition like knowing/picking a specific trait so it'd have a soft built-in pre-req for knowledge checks/reserach type thing? Dunno.
-Coordinated Spell uses/tactics. Planar artillery idea is still nagging my brain. It's a good visual.
-Do some testing with the debuff type transmutation spells and DCs to see how viable they really are.
-Talk with you about transmutation school in general and get a better feel for the general focus/aesthetics of it for future spell design.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

You can't get around things being artificial, Dune. I've talked to you about how the rewards feel external and suggested a more organic change, but you said it was by design. Even more gratingly, suddenly there is a ton of lvl30 people no one's heard about being 'on the level', pardon the pun, alongside people who have done cool things IC like joining Aurora or what have you. And those that were lower level have been artificially leveled after a few hours of sparring, to the point that this artificial level up juice has been lampshaded IC in several nodes.

My point is that you should stop worrying and love the simultaneous level ups regardless of how artificial they feel. Give them out across the board once any node does something deserving of it or when enough time has passed for you to be comfortable with that, and we're golden.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Addendum. The alternative is pretty terrible in the narrative sense. I've noticed in myself that I've been going for the 'plot hooks' of node goals a great deal while putting other things aside due to mechanical rewards (and because it's a new mechanic so I was excited to try it out). If certain plot-relevant choices will lead to more rewards (ie level ups) then they will continue to be taken more frequently. In other words, less fun interaction with other characters and elemental festivals, more adventuring to 'earn' the level ups. Do you want to go there, honestly?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 12, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on July 12, 2018, 10:50:24 PM

Personally, I'm fine with this. I fully know that it'll wind up with my being lagging really far behind the others, and for the most part I'm okay with that. That said, if it truly becomes an issue, I'm sure we can work out a way to level the field, so to speak, easily enough. Some sort of super lynchpin quest or an opportunity to pull a Lixer and take over some chunk of previously uncontrolled something or skillfully usurp something to level things out. I honestly don't see it being that much of an issue, for me at least.

Okay, good to know there.

QuoteI sorta say this coming from a personal expectation of some bits of reworking and needing custom stuff to balance out Alyssa's build. I'm still sorta feeling things out and reading/delving more into transmutation spells, as that's what I want her build to be based around. The whole MotUH thing was what I planned on having a hefty chunk of her direct-damage coming from with Transmutation being a focus for de-/buffing, and general magical utility. I think with the item familiar and AAA spell, I've got the first part of it down fairly decently, outside of combat testing, and that's what I really wanted to establish first. Next comes the Transmutation focus, and we've already talked about a few ideas there.

What that means is that Alyssa, and her node, are still very much under construction, and as such, being the most 'under-powered' node is what I expected when I went with a new character instead of revisiting an existing one. That said, if you're concerned about it on my end, we can talk about including stuff in the foundational work that will pay off bigger dividends later and eventually help level out the power levels. I feel like Coordinated Spell is a decent starting point for that, and there can be other things we hash out also.

Yeah, you're doing fine with the understanding it's foundational work. That's the key part there.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 13, 2018, 03:25:36 AMYou can't get around things being artificial, Dune. I've talked to you about how the rewards feel external and suggested a more organic change, but you said it was by design. Even more gratingly, suddenly there is a ton of lvl30 people no one's heard about being 'on the level', pardon the pun, alongside people who have done cool things IC like joining Aurora or what have you. And those that were lower level have been artificially leveled after a few hours of sparring, to the point that this artificial level up juice has been lampshaded IC in several nodes.

My point is that you should stop worrying and love the simultaneous level ups regardless of how artificial they feel. Give them out across the board once any node does something deserving of it or when enough time has passed for you to be comfortable with that, and we're golden.

Oh sure, one part of this campaign is that 'hey, people are suddenly gaining power in these nodes like this, WTF', which isn't meant to be lampshading but an actual plot point. This is more of an OOC concern than an IC one, frankly.

Anyway, to touch on one other point: Of course there's powerful people that haven't come up yet. Look at Jarem - he's hinted a few times he has a story behind why he's so powerful and he's clearly held in good regard by the Red Knight. His story simply hasn't been told yet; that's a reality of so many things going on in Creation. There's always a story you aren't involved in or haven't heard about. Not every epic hero makes their name in the ways Aurora did - they're more famous than the norm, another benefit of Medi's legacy.

(Incidentally, only two heroes were already at that power level and new: Xandra and Jarem. I actually prefer to use the mechanism in play to catch people up and keep them lighter on baggage, but there are exceptions. Xandra also isn't technically new, as she had a cameo in B3 that was laying groundwork that was later used.)

QuoteAddendum. The alternative is pretty terrible in the narrative sense. I've noticed in myself that I've been going for the 'plot hooks' of node goals a great deal while putting other things aside due to mechanical rewards (and because it's a new mechanic so I was excited to try it out). If certain plot-relevant choices will lead to more rewards (ie level ups) then they will continue to be taken more frequently. In other words, less fun interaction with other characters and elemental festivals, more adventuring to 'earn' the level ups. Do you want to go there, honestly?

Fair point there.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I don't really have a preference on levelling up.

Anastasia

Okay, regardless of my choice - and I'd really like you to weigh in on this when you have a chance, Yuth - this is level 31's weekend.

Neph, Eb and Cor's threads are in a position to do level ups, so that's going to be today's todo. Get your level ups in.

Iddy and Yuth will continue play until the current excursions are done, at which point level ups come.

Beyond this level up I'll see about possibly changing things, but for now this one is gonna stand regardless.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh yes, remember your level up summaries.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Looking up like Rogue//Arcane Trickster to me.

Anastasia

Antenora reaches level 31.

- Hellreaver 21 and Paladin 31.
- Max HP per hit die, so 10+11+1+2=24 hp and a grand total of 744 hp.
- BAB rises by 1 to +31.
- Antenora's paladin casting rises to level 31. She gains another 7th level spell per day. She'll grab another Opal Inviolability.
- SLA caster level rises to 31.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 46.
- Channel energy rises by 1d6 to 15d6.
- Holy fury points rise by 1 to 34.
- Lay on hands pool rises by 13 to 403 hit points.
- No change to saves. The next bonus is at level 32.
- No change to ability scores. The next bonus is at level 32.
- Antenora's skills are being upgraded. Her Intelligence bonus is now innate thanks to divine rank and counts for skill points. This grants her...2+4+7=13 skills and she has a total of 12 right now, and not all of them at full ranks. She'll run all of them up to full ranks and add Spellcraft.
- No new feats.

A decidedly lackluster level up, a gap level from her top to bottom.
<Afina> Forever.