News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Kascha's spells are updated, as I continue to catch up on DM work.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

You mention Luck for Xandra in the writeup, but it's not among her list of domains ("Celestial and luck are the best").

Also, is Celestial one of those domains from Spell Compendium that are like 2 regular domains, with two spells per level and everything? Are those also eligible?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Mysticism is the domain, it grants a luck bonus to saves. Brain confuzzled.

No, it isn't. It's an actual normal domain in BoED.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha's spells are now complaint with automatic metamagic: quicken.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kaja time. Being a little short on these for now since DM work plus writeups will impact things too.

Domains: Celerity, Courage, Good, Retribution, War, Wrath
Salient Divine Abilities: Divine Dodge, Divine Weapon Focus(Scimitar), Divine Weapon Mastery, Extra Domain(Courage), Extra Domain(Wrath)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jetina's done. That was a run.

Domains: Charity, Good, Healing, Law, Life, Nobility
Salient Divine Abilities: Divine Blast, Divine Healer, Extra Domain(Life), Gift of Life, Increased Spell Resistance

Nothing too surprising.

DIVINE HEALER
Prerequisite: Healer level 20th.
Benefit: The deity gains Absolute Healing and True Panacea as bonus feats. In addition, the deity may add their divine rank to the number of times per day they may use emergency healing. The healer's unicorn companion gains the celestial creature template.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha's SLAs are updated. Progress continues.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Can the easy metamagic and specialized metamagic feats be used for epic metamagic feats?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Donald's last SDA is chosen, divine weapon specialization. It sucks now, but 1. He wants it at some point so may as well and 2. As much as I want eldritch knowledge for him, the simple truth is that filling his new spell slots will take a lot of new spells. This is simply a terrible time to add that to the pile of DM work, so it's getting punted to DvR2.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elle's SLAs are done. I'm slowly whittling down the great heap o' DM work.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 07, 2020, 05:11:03 PM
Can the easy metamagic and specialized metamagic feats be used for epic metamagic feats?

Strictly RAW there's nothing written that prohibits it. So it's more a question of what you plan.

Getting intensify down to +0 adjustment will be rejected. Enhance I'm less concerned about. Barrage I don't care about since quicken's out there and it's really just a fancy way to quicken spells in a different way, plus the two feats don't stack anyway. Vivacious it depends but fairly neutral on that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elle's spells are all caught up now and polished up. Her spell choices may need a bit of revision, but that's optional and later.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

In DM work continues, I'm clearing out old todos. One is a reference list of ways to increase certain things. I don't think it's really needed at this point, but it's a project and I'll get to at least being semi finished. If anyone wants this continued say so, but for the moment I'm calling it done and moving on.

Lists of Ways to Increase Useful Abilities

Base Attack Bonus

1. Take good BAB progression classes on your BAB side of the gestalt, such as fighter.

Obvious but worth mentioning. Losing a point or two of BAB isn't critical most of the time, but be careful of losing too much if you want to make non touch attack rolls at all.

2. Divine Power

This 4th level cleric spell sets your BAB equal to your character level for the duration. In other words, it's like you always had good BAB growth under this. The value of this rises in proportion to how many points of BAB you've missed on your build. For +1 or +2 it isn't a big deal, but more than that and it quickly becomes more rewarding to cast.

Greater Divine Power is a powered up version as an epic spell. That also takes care of this.

3. If you must lose BAB, gain something else in that level that increases your attack rolls.

For example, if you dip a level of something that doesn't progress your BAB, get something in return that makes up for it. For example, dipping a level that gets you an ability that's +2 to attack rolls. This isn't strictly increasing your BAB, but it's worth keeping in mind. Tactically giving up one point of BAB to get +2 to an attack roll should be a no brainer barring edge cases.

Hit Points

1. Take classes with bigger hit dice.

While the dice can screw you even if you get d12s for hit dice, on average you'll have more HP from these than smaller dice. Getting bigger hit dice logically gets you a bigger hit point pool and should be kept in mind.

2. Improve your Constitution score.

This is the most obvious entry but still well worth mentioning. Get a good enhancement bonus to Constitution, invest points in it and otherwise get it higher.  Spells such as Bear's Endurance can be a good choice here, as well as Endurance of the Dragon Princess.

3. Toughness and Epic Toughness.

These are a steady and permanent increase to your hit points. Sure, 1 or 2 points a level doesn't seem like much, but it's retroactive and always applies. For example, someone with both feats at level 34 has 34+68=102 extra hit points. This rises by another 68 for each time you take epic toughness again. It does take a feat investment, but it pays out for each one.

Similar feats, such as psionic body and other things houseruled to work like toughness also apply here.

4. Stray Bonus Hit Points.

Occasionally, a class feature or feat grants hit points. For example, the dragontouched feat grants a bonus hit point. These are fairly rare and usually not a huge benefit, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye open for them.

5. Temporary Hit Points.

Spells such as false life or greater heroism give you a supply of temporary hit points. While not usually large, these bonus hit points stack with your natural hit points. They aren't technically an increase, but listed here for the sake of completeness.

6. Maximum Hit Points Per Hit Die

A feature of divinity as well as a few other creatures, this gift treats all your hit point rolls (current and past) as having the maximum result. The benefit is obvious, though it's very hard to get short of being divinity. This combos especially well with 1, as bigger hit dice give you more per maximized hit dice.

Saves

1. Take classes with good save progressions.

Another obvious entry but it bears to be repeated. Higher base saves mean higher saves before bonuses come into play.

2. Reduce MAD.

This is difficult to do, but any method that lets you shift a save from a bad ability score to a good one can be worth its weight in gold. Steadfast Determination is the most common way to do this, as it allows you to use your Constitution modifier for Will saves in place of your Wisdom modifier. Other means exist as well.

3. Get a Cloak of Resistance.

A resistance bonus to saving throws is cheap and well worthwhile. This should be your first move to increase your saving throws outside of chargen, if at all possible.

4. Apply an ability modifier to your saves.

Also known as the Divine Grace approach. It's like 2, except you add it to the save instead of replacing the base ability score that increases it.

5. Feats.

Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Great Fortitude and the epic versions of those all boost a saving throw. These aren't great feats, but they can be useful at times.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Alicia's build charts are updated for level 36 and on.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Moore's charts are updated, as well as a brand new Sylvie chart.
<Afina> Forever.