News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay then, moving Elemental Army and Shadowfriend over to the grand ol' spell list.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Any takes on this one?

Grudge of the Ages
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 15
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

When you cast this spell, you imbue a permanent grudge into your chosen target. This grudge can be against any one person, object or organization. This grudge feels completely natural to the target and adjusts itself to fit the target. This grudge deepens over time, until after a year's time it is the sole motivation for the creature's actions. Everything else in the creature's life will be sacrificed to that end, no matter how self destructive that is.

The true danger of this spell is how difficult it is to detect and remove. Once cast the change is made and no magic can be discerned, nor can the changes be suppressed by means that normally stop enchantments, compulsions or mind-affecting magic. This spell can only be removed by a break enchantment, wish or miracle spell that specifically name this spell to be removed. Generally, it takes a great deal of research or epic level divinations to discern that this spell was used.

When the grudge is something the target already dislikes, the save is made with a -4 penalty. Should it be something the target hates, this penalty increases to -8.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Seems fair for the level. Most stuff is going to lolnope mind affecting but if you get it to stick it's a solidly pernicious effect. How does it interact with sense motive's ability to tell when someone's being affected by an enchantment?

QuoteSense Enchantment
You can tell that someone's behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn't aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target's activities.

Anastasia

I'd allow it to work for the mind fuck factor. Are you wrong and getting a false read? Is the detection magic wrong? What's going on?

Used intelligently along the lines of the save penalty and that may never come up, though. That's the unstated intent for a smart caster, to use it as much for the self destructive part as the grudge. To take the Blood War, who would blink at a devil or demon going too far in the war and bringing about their own downfall? A cunning enough caster uses it in ways where no one's going to think to make that check, because the hate's already there. It's also why the onset time's so long, to make it far more difficult to figure out who cast it even if you figure it out.  The spell's tricky and subtle like that.

This isn't said directly in the spell, but that's the tilt of the design axis.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Not sure on the level of this one.

Gond's Grand Ship
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 15
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: One caravel
Duration: 1 day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Gond's grand ship conjures a caravel (Storm 98) for you to use. This ship responds to your mental commands and you can steer it as a free action. While entirely seaworthy, this ship can also fly at a speed of 200ft with perfect maneuverability. Once per hour, the ship may plane shift as the spell. All cargo and passengers are included unless the caster wishes to exclude them.

Focus

A miniature boat of incredible detail worth 5,000 gold, as well as a potion of fly.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Added yesterday's spells to the spell topic.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

No spells this morning most likely, I have a DM side thing I'm working on. I'll try and get loot part 2 up for Seira before session.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This one got mentioned in Moore's thread last night.

Book of Sins
Divination
Level: Clr 12
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched

When you complete this spell, it creates a book that details every sin the creature has knowingly committed. This provides the time and date, any it was done against and any consequences from that. Creatures or objects shielded by mind blank or superior are not recorded and instead produces a gap in the book.

Extremely long lived or evil creatures may require multiple castings of this spell due to one book not being enough. Additional saving throws against this spell suffer a -7 penalty if the target has already failed a saving throw against it.

Material Compontent

A sheet of parchment or paper.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Am I the only one sick of putting up with the ocean's trash talk? I'm not the only one, right?

Right?

For reference, the Great Lakes have around 5,400 cubic miles of water in them, so this spell could dry them all out at once (ignoring that I'm not sure if they're all one contiguous body of water but whatever). The Atlantic Ocean is 80 million cubic miles or so.

Ocean Killer
Transmutation
Level: Clr 20, Drd 19, Sor/Wiz 20
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: Body of water touched
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

Ocean killer instantly destroys one 100 mile cube/level of water from the body of water touched. Generally, this is more than enough to completely dry out all but the largest inland seas and lakes, and enough to eliminate a portion of an ocean's waters. Water elementals or similar creatures with the water subtype suffer 70d6 points of desiccation damage if they are within the destroyed waters (Fortitude half).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Today's offering isn't a spell. Truth is I overslept and have things to do, so have one of my backups: A prestige class for a C&M offering I'm working up. I hope to get back to her and finish her this weekend. Anyway, Warrior of the Mind is posted over in Homebrew. The basic idea of it is a PrC that offers body based benefits and ultimately power point regeneration.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I went back to my old spells and didn't notice anything terribly off about them, so we'll start with those, as well as a new one that is inspired by Book of Sins and Naeys' Mind Theater.

Learn Another's Knowledge
Divination
Level: Brd 11 (Sor/Wiz? 13? 14?) (Naeys' Mind Theater is Sor/Wiz 12, not sure if this one is stronger, so maybe it should be?)

When you cast this spell, you must state what you wish to know. When you complete the spell, you touch the creature and all the knowledge that creature has about that particular subject is gained by you permanently. The subject cannot falsify any of these memories knowingly, but if they have had their memory altered then you will not necessarily know the difference, unless you are aware factually of such a thing being untrue.

Life of Sacrifice
Conjuration/Abjuration (Good, Healing)
Level: Sanctified 12
Components: V, S, Sacrifice
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell empowers an ally with the power of your own sacrifice. You lose all but 1 of your hit points, and the creature touched gains temporary Hit Points equal to your maximum hit points. They also gain a +14 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls, armor class and saving throws. Their weapons are also empowered with the Holy Power property.

Sacrifice

All but 1 of your current hit points.

Learn the Past
Divination
Level: Bard 10, Sor/Wiz 13
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Personal
Area: 150-ft. radius, centered on you

This spell was developed as an improvement and alternative to Hindsight and works in a similar fashion.

When you cast this spell, you gain a general idea of the events of the past, stretching back 1,000 years per caster level. You notice only noteworthy events, such as deaths, battles, scenes of great emotion, important discoveries and significant happenings.

You may also focus this spell on a specified time. When casting the spell in this manner, you must specify a number of years ago. The spell will then give you detailed knowledge of the people, conversations and events that transpired within one century per caster level of the year you chose.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 08, 2021, 09:46:57 PM
I went back to my old spells and didn't notice anything terribly off about them, so we'll start with those, as well as a new one that is inspired by Book of Sins and Naeys' Mind Theater.

Learn Another's Knowledge
Divination
Level: Brd 11 (Sor/Wiz? 13? 14?) (Naeys' Mind Theater is Sor/Wiz 12, not sure if this one is stronger, so maybe it should be?)

When you cast this spell, you must state what you wish to know. When you complete the spell, you touch the creature and all the knowledge that creature has about that particular subject is gained by you permanently. The subject cannot falsify any of these memories knowingly, but if they have had their memory altered then you will not necessarily know the difference, unless you are aware factually of such a thing being untrue.

What's the material component? You note one but I don't see one.

I'd say brd 11, sor/wiz 12 or so is about right. It's roughly comparable to Mind Theater.

Life of Sacrifice

This spell empowers an ally with the power of your own sacrifice. You lose all but 1 of your hit points, and the creature touched gains temporary Hit Points equal to your maximum hit points. They also gain a +14 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls, armor class and saving throws. Their weapons are also empowered with the Holy Power property.

I wouldn't suggest it as a conjuration (healing) spell, most spells that grant temporary hit points tend towards necromancy.

Remember the bit about more than double temporary hit points and explosions? That's relevant here too.

Those aside the idea's fine.

QuoteLearn the Past
Divination
Level: Bard 10, Sor/Wiz 13
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Area: 150-ft. radius, centered on you

This spell was developed as an improvement and alternative to Hindsight and works in a similar fashion.

When you cast this spell, you gain a general idea of the events of the past, stretching back 1,000 years per caster level. You notice only noteworthy events, such as deaths, battles, scenes of great emotion, important discoveries and significant happenings.

You may also focus this spell on a specified time. When casting the spell in this manner, you must specify a number of years ago. The spell will then give you detailed knowledge of the people, conversations and events that transpired within one century per caster level of the year you chose.

Didn't I rule on this spell already, or am I going crazy?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Today is psionics instead of spells, because I'm working on an epic level psychic warrior. A few notes before I begin.

1. These abilities are only accessible for psychic warriors as of now. Some would be just fine on other manifester's power lists, but I'm not worrying about that right now. So Tryll, once these are posted over in the collection they could be options for you.
2. Psionics have some subtle differences in what's allowable and what isn't versus magic. While magic/psionics transparency makes them work in a highly similar fashion, there's still some variations. Keep that in mind.

This is the deluxe version of gate or similar spells/powers. The higher level is a mix of the more self focused nature of psionics plus investing the extra levels into the duration along with free choice of where to teleport each time you do in the power's duration.

Worldstep
Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Psychic warrior 12
Display: Auditory and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Target: You
Power Points: 27

With a sound that resembles shattering glass, this power allows you to teleport. As a move action you may teleport anywhere you wish. Should this be on the same plane, this functions as greater teleport. Should it instead be on another plane, this functions as greater plane shift.

Becklee's Supernatural Ward
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psychic warrior 14
Display: Material and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Target: You
Duration: 1 day/level
Power Points: 33

Becklee's supernatural ward grants the benefits of a psionic mind blank power as well as power resistance equal to your manifester level + 10.

This is a case of 'I might balk at this for a spellcaster but I might let a psionicist get away with it' due to the differences in the two disciplines. It's from the school of cast and forget, as the duration for anyone who can manifest it is over a month. This one might get revised, I'm experimenting with the boundaries of psionics, but it provides some thoughts and insight to my design processes there.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Small updates on wording for the two spells.

Learn Knowledge
Divination
Level: Brd 11. Sor/Wiz 12

Material Component: Two stones tied on each end of a string.

Life of Sacrifice

This spell empowers an ally with the power of your own sacrifice. You lose all but 1 of your hit points, and the creature touched gains temporary Hit Points equal to your maximum hit points up to half their maximum hit points. They also gain a +14 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls, armor class and saving throws. Their weapons are also empowered with the Holy Power property.

Sacrifice

All but 1 of your current hit points.

And as for the third, I don't see it in the Spell Collection and didn't see any replies from you looking back, so maybe you do what I do where you saw it, processed it yourself, then just thought you talked about it.

Anastasia

The last is entirely possible. Okay.

I may rewrite them slightly for consistency but they look okay to me. Going to see about morning additions shortly.
<Afina> Forever.