News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on July 09, 2021, 02:17:23 PM
I have Thoughts and Opinions on this that will be further stated when I get home and not coming from a phone. This is just an acknowledgment of having read the above.

Fair enough, Neph. I'll catch you when you get home.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Part of it got lost in editing so here it is, restored.

I've mentioned a few projects at times - going on from here.

I've mentioned a few projects at times and it's likely it would be one of those. Maybe that jumpchain thing I mentioned to Cor, maybe something more modern. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I get where you're coming from. B6 is hard in a way other games aren't. There's so much going on at such a high level it must be a nightmare to keep track of just the broad strokes, far less the nitty gritty of yeah, getting into all the mechanics of a huge assault on Shadow with Mystra and Shar and who knows who else taking part. Like I struggle to keep track of all the right spells and buffs for my character/group, but on a deeper level we're playing these literal gods with superhuman intellects and access to all kinds of crazy perceptions and resources, and I don't feel like I live up to that.

So yeah, take a break. Fully support that, and if it's just not practical to continue and bring it to the originally envisaged conclusion, I totally understand.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 09, 2021, 02:25:32 PM
I get where you're coming from. B6 is hard in a way other games aren't.

It's absolutely the most challenging game I've run, both to DM and for the PCs. I've noticed all of us have differing approaches on how to deal with this, so let me elaborate mine.

How do I deal with superhuman intelligences?

1. They see more and tend to come to the right conclusions. As such, their planning should be excellent to the limits of their knowledge, the ranges they can prepare for and to the particular contours of their personality. They tend to make better intuitive leaps of logic when they need them. NPC allies tend to do this a lot when talking to PCs as it's both fitting and a smooth way to keep scenes flowing.

2. They know how to mitigate losses. Sure, sometimes even the biggest players lose to another player. They generally know how to scavenge anything they can from it and limit the damages. Again, to the contours of their personality they're rarely passive and reactive, but instead act, even if it's only preparations to mitigate losses.

3. However, for all of this, almost all of them are beings with profound biases thanks to alignment subtypes of being tied to mystical forces beyond human comprehension. As such their views are inevitably shaped by this. Or in another words, a super genius Nazi is still a Nazi and going to do Nazi things. These Nazi things may be insane to anyone else, but it is what it is due to that factor.

I feel like this really came home and clicked around the time Malcanthet played Alicia in the Violet adventure, and in turn the Adversary played everyone.

But it's still a tremendous amount of work to do and figuring to go through, especially because you need to get into the head of a particular character to do it properly. A plan that, say, Orcus likes Shar may find foolish because it doesn't involve enough suffering. The plan may be excellent, but those biases matter.

That's just character work and planning mind you.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

News and Announcements

Okay, I'll make a post of where I'm at in about 2 weeks. Think around July 26th. Give it some time to relax and let me do some things. I may not need that long.

---

Should I continue B6 in some form it probably won't be until August sometime at the earliest. I want to get PT done first unless PT ends up a longer term commitment. As of now PT runs through the end of July so I'll let you all know about that when I know.  There's not a lot to say here otherwise for now, so stay tuned.

---

Should I choose to run something else for awhile, I'll provide more details on it when I get there. While I have my ideas I'm more than open to suggestions in this thread. For focus reasons I'd prefer to keep them here rather than on board PMs or IRC. I'm not likely to run anything D&D for this. I'm also disinclined to learn a complex new system at this time, so bear that in mind with suggestions.

I've talked about a jumpchain game idea and that's possible. As that's public knowledge and if that interests you or raises any questions, feel free to post them here.

---

Finally, if I decide I need more time, I'm very likely to run something like a weekly game in the interim. I'd like to keep my hand in things and not leave us fallow that long. I don't think I'll go this way, but it's there if I need the option after all.

---

As a PS, it's possible I'll do and post some Balmuria design work in this time. This isn't related to B6, I merely enjoy doing this and if I feel the urge to create something, I will. Don't read anything more into it than that.

As a PS PS, I may settle Moore's spells soon or let those sit for later. I'll see how the mood takes me.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

No big updates today, not much going on in my neck of the woods.

Instead let's do some questions so I can gather information.

Balmuria

1. Should I resume Balmuria, what's one thing you'd like me to focus on as the DM?
2. Is there any custom content you feel should exist in the game world but doesn't? I'm looking for any things I may need to do. No is a perfectly valid answer, so don't strain yourself if nothing comes to mind.

New Game

1. Any general suggestions here?
2. If I do the jumpchain idea, how proficient do you feel with jumpchains? If I gave you a jump document now, would you have any difficulty in making a build with it?

Weekly Game

1. If I run a weekly game, any preferences? I'm open to a lot here.
2. Are any of you interested in trying to run your own weekly game as well?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I guess for Balmuria, some kind of resolution with Shar and the Incarnations. Hard to do in a hurry, and I worry it'd be some kind of unsatisfying deus ex machina if we get a quick ending, but it is kind of the main thrust here.

I'm familiar with jumpchain, I used to love messing around with CYOAs on /tg/ and that got me into it years ago and I still keep an eye on it through other avenues.

I don't really have any interest in running a game, nor any particular thoughts or preferences on what you could run.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 12, 2021, 12:11:41 PM
Balmuria

1. Should I resume Balmuria, what's one thing you'd like me to focus on as the DM?

Honestly, the game needs to be more focused on the actual threat: Shar. I've sorta gone over this IC a bit with Emily; she constantly wants to go after slaves and evil gods and stuff, and I sorta push back with "what's the benefit of this vs. Shar?" but I also figured you had a plan for things contributing to the defeat of Shar, so I never really pushed hard on it. Likely to level up the nodes, but it's got a slow, round-about feel to it.

2. Is there any custom content you feel should exist in the game world but doesn't? I'm looking for any things I may need to do. No is a perfectly valid answer, so don't strain yourself if nothing comes to mind.

Not really? We tend to bloat things custom content. I've gotten to the point of trying to only do it when there's a functional need for it, as in there's no other effective way to do something except to make a new spell or the like.

New Game

Eh... Lower level and maybe a different setting. I don't know if anyone else is interested in it, but I'd like to do something Sci-fi at some point.

2. If I do the jumpchain idea, how proficient do you feel with jumpchains? If I gave you a jump document now, would you have any difficulty in making a build with it?

0% proficient. I'd need a real crash course in it.

Weekly Game

As I said further up, I'm interested in something Sci-fi. Barring that, I'd like to give a couple of the character ideas I've talked with you in the past a shot. The bard-tank (pathfinder/gestalt) and what-not.

Tried it once, didn't really fit well.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 12, 2021, 12:19:31 PM
I guess for Balmuria, some kind of resolution with Shar and the Incarnations. Hard to do in a hurry, and I worry it'd be some kind of unsatisfying deus ex machina if we get a quick ending, but it is kind of the main thrust here.

Pretty much, I'd want some sort of ending to be aimed for there. That is the point of it all.

QuoteI'm familiar with jumpchain, I used to love messing around with CYOAs on /tg/ and that got me into it years ago and I still keep an eye on it through other avenues.

Yeah, I know you are but I felt obligated to ask everyone and not exclude people.

QuoteI don't really have any interest in running a game, nor any particular thoughts or preferences on what you could run.

Fair enough.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 12, 2021, 12:35:10 PM
Balmuria

Honestly, the game needs to be more focused on the actual threat: Shar. I've sorta gone over this IC a bit with Emily; she constantly wants to go after slaves and evil gods and stuff, and I sorta push back with "what's the benefit of this vs. Shar?" but I also figured you had a plan for things contributing to the defeat of Shar, so I never really pushed hard on it. Likely to level up the nodes, but it's got a slow, round-about feel to it.

I do agree with that. This segment was meant to be long and self driven as it is, but my own health and energy issues of exasperated the problem.

Not really? We tend to bloat things custom content. I've gotten to the point of trying to only do it when there's a functional need for it, as in there's no other effective way to do something except to make a new spell or the like.

Fair enough.

New Game

Eh... Lower level and maybe a different setting. I don't know if anyone else is interested in it, but I'd like to do something Sci-fi at some point.

Agreed 100% with the first. Noted on the second.

0% proficient. I'd need a real crash course in it.

That's pretty workable, if we got that way I'll find or make one for you, or just walk you through a few.

Weekly Game

As I said further up, I'm interested in something Sci-fi. Barring that, I'd like to give a couple of the character ideas I've talked with you in the past a shot. The bard-tank (pathfinder/gestalt) and what-not.

All noted.

Tried it once, didn't really fit well.

Right.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Balmuria

1. Focus on what's enjoyable for you. If that's a copout answer, then focus on bringing the current arc to a conclusion in a satisfactory manner for everyone.
2. Maybe more PrCs? Besides that and more spell options, nothing jumps out at me, but that shouldn't be on you.

New Game

1. None really here.
2. Not proficient, but I think given time I could suss it all out.

Weekly Game

1. B5! B5! B5! (I'm kidding - well, I'm not, but I realize it's a nonstarter.)
2. Nah, I wouldn't be able to do so with working.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on July 12, 2021, 06:17:03 PM

Balmuria

1. Focus on what's enjoyable for you. If that's a copout answer, then focus on bringing the current arc to a conclusion in a satisfactory manner for everyone.

It's not, so I'd sit back and have a think about it then.

Quote2. Maybe more PrCs? Besides that and more spell options, nothing jumps out at me, but that shouldn't be on you.

So noted. I like making a PrC when it comes together and feels like an interesting whole. It's probably my favorite thing to design when it goes well.

QuoteNew Game

1. None really here.

Sure, sounds good.

Quote2. Not proficient, but I think given time I could suss it all out.

It's not too bad, yeah. The first few times can be rough if you get option paralysis or feel overwhelmed, but that passes as you familiarize yourself with the concept.

QuoteWeekly Game

1. B5! B5! B5! (I'm kidding - well, I'm not, but I realize it's a nonstarter.)

Probably not a great choice at this time, but I'll keep it in mind.

Quote2. Nah, I wouldn't be able to do so with working.

Fair enough. Sorta hoping someone would ping interest but so far no luck.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I eye the Cor and hope for his answer soon, too. Yes, this is nagging.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

If I run something new, one question for y'all. In a general sense, would you prefer a game with PCs who are more cooperative or competitive? As a clarifying note, competitive doesn't necessarily mean hostile.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I'm not really looking for competition. Jumpchain in particular is a kind of thing where I feel like it'd be really hard to balance between different jumpers as it is.