News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Crushed Slavers

Started by Anastasia, September 17, 2018, 11:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Her eyes didn't find any other traps before, but Seira looks again! And also tries to estimate the width of the door. The mass might be overwhelming, but the very same process that put this reinforced door in her path has to keep it down to a consistent and hopefully low width.

Perception 10 for 84, Spellcraft 10 for 83, K:Engineering 10 for 57, I also have Craft/Traps and Disable Device and various other knowledges as needed. True Seeing, Tremorsense, Scent, Blindsight, Darkvision, Low-level vision.

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The door is about two and a half inches in width. No sign of direct traps otherwise.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Seira's form is briefly obscured by shadows, and then she slips past the door.

Shadow Form, I autopass the escape artist check.

Also, did it look like I disabled the traps for good or merely took them down temporarily?

Anastasia

You think you took them out for a little while.

Ahead is a plain room with no doors in or out save for a big vault door ahead. It's closed, naturally.

In the middle of the room is a pedestal with a keyhole in it.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Perception 10 for 84, Spellcraft 10 for 83, K:Engineering 10 for 57, I also have Craft/Traps and Disable Device and various other knowledges as needed. True Seeing, Tremorsense, Scent, Blindsight, Darkvision, Low-level vision.

Anastasia

Interesting. There's a lot of magic around the keyhole, incredibly dense. And yet none of it really does anything except looking like it's important.

The keyhole looks functional and there's no traps attached that you can see.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira notices the way the keyhole's inner space looks to her, mapping it out with Bibliotheca Arcana's help, and then knocks carefully on the pedestal around the opening while her other hand rests on the surface, to listen for and sense the tremors going through it.

After getting an idea for the inner structure of the mechanism, she wills for gold to flow down into the opening and reshapes it into a key that fits the device.

Perception 10 for 84, K:Engineering 10 for 57, Craft/Metalworks 10 for 57, Craft/Traps 10 for 83, Appraise 10 for 83, Disable Device 10 for 83. There's two rounds's worth of effort spent on this, including a few Divine Insights.

Anastasia

Done and done. You have a replica of the key made of gold, ready to be turned if you wish.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

So long as mapping out the schematic of the device in a bout of nostalgia of her days doing that sort of thing while adventuring with Lagann didn't show a nefarious spike trap or hidden pit triggered by the key, Seira turns it in the lock!

Anastasia

The lock is turned. Nothing happens, at least that you can discern.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira spends a moment on a divination, one used to review what went on in this room in the past week going backwards from the present.

And on a whim, alters the spell before running a second divination in parallel, this one following the changes set in motion by the turning of the key in the lock.

Anastasia

Ah, you see.  A mercane enters, ignores the key and pedestal entirely and pushes the vault door open, heading within.

The second divination shows no changes for the key door.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

So she hadn't ruined herself, merely lost a few moments. But she had fun! So it's a net zero in the end.

Seira proceeds to the vault door, pushing it in the same place and with the same strength as demonstrated in her vision. Time to see what's there!

Anastasia

An exact copy of this room, though even from out here your augmented vision can tell the magic is vastly stronger, both in pedestal and vault door.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira lets her eyes sort out the spells automatically, and once she concurs that no magic in the room is triggered by divination she repeats the one from the previous room to see the owners's way to beat the room's defenses.