Worshipers

Started by Anastasia, February 09, 2019, 11:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

For those who follow Alicia. This is meant to cover a selection of characters to grow and draw on. Some may be crossposted in C&M, mostly for worldbuilding purposes.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Savin, Wanderer of Alicia

Fluff:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Background

Savin is an only child born to an unremarkable family in Elfsander. He was a bright child but a shiftless one, forever possessed of a fierce disinterest in honest work. His parents grew weary of this, electing to force Savin into a seaman's apprenticeship. In this he learned the ways and means of the sea. Yet Savin was no great sailor or worker, a fact that put him in the ire of the first mate. The first mate demanded the utmost from each of the sailors, something Savin found disagreeable. This lead to many an unpleasant encounter between Savin and the first mate. This spawned a deep animosity between the two. In time this lead to a vicious fight, one that the first mate won. The first mate called this mutiny and marooned Savin on the nearest islet.

Here Savin laid on the bare rocks. He had little water, no food and even less hope. He wasted away on that wind swept, rocky islet. He slept a sleep of parched pain and disturbing dreams. His dreams were strange symbols, twisting lights and incomprehensible words. On the third day of his marooning Savin awoke in a frenzy. He sprung to his feet, waved his hands like a madman and chanted those alien words. To his amazement, the Weave responded. Dancing lights and ghost sounds exploded around the island, a tremendous display. It was one so great that it drew the attention of a passing ship.

This ship was from Balmuria. In his recovery Savin was regaled with stories of the Crimson Guard. He was fascinated by them, most of all by the stories of Saint Alicia. There was something about her that drew him. The stories painted her as having a superior sense of purpose, serving many things - including the Weave. Stories of magic and the Gods returning to the world convinced Savin that his sudden magical aptitude had a reason, just as Alicia's works had a reason. When the ship returned to Balmuria Savin immediately busied himself in learning more. There he found the nascent church of Saint Alicia. He found the dogma pleasing and interpreted it to his own ends. A shiftless wandering that yet served a greater purpose appealed to Savin. He thus took his lessons of Alicia's dogma to heart and began to walk the world.

Since then, Savin has wandered from the jungles to the Southern Confederation. He is not the most devout or the most energetic of Alicia's flock, nor does he have any skill in divine miracles. But he spreads her words and supports those with the talent to become heroes. He styles himself a wanderer of Alicia, lingering just long enough to spread her word before resuming his aimless journey.

Appearance

Savin is a typical elf. He is a little over five feet tall and slender. His hair is a brown that is prematurely going gray - a rarity amid elves. It makes him appear older than he is. He wears sturdy traveler's clothes designed for warmth and durability, supple leather gloves, a simple diadem of iron and soft padded armor beneath it. In more cosmopolitan areas he is unremarkable and blends in, while in other areas his heritage stands out.

Personality

Savin has the graceful, almost feminine traits that many male elves possess. Yet it does not seem unusual on him, but entirely fitting. Despite this he is no great talker. He likes to talk but is easily overshadowed by others. That's just as well for him, since he prefers to laze while assessing things around him. He is quick to assert that divine providence is holding his hand, and if action is needed, great results will come from him.

Relations

Savin and his parents are not close. He holds them no great ill will, but they have been swept up in Pallanth's culture war. They have embraced a natural lifestyle fully, living like animals in the wild. His only visit was a brief one, as seeing his parents dirty, nude and unwashed was enough to convince him that he wants no part of that. He avoids the elven lands now, having no further interest in that conflict. Beyond family, Savin has a loose but wide ranging network of friends and Alicia's faithful throughout the regions he wanders in. He is close friends with another wanderer, Lady Jane Kesper. Lady Kesper is responsible for tracking down deserters from the Kelaran war effort. While Savin doesn't particularly approve or care about that, the two have a natural if vitriolic chemistry.

Relationships are something that eludes Savin. Being a wanderer is not a state that encourages that. He has had a few romantic encounters, one of which lead to a half elven son in the Desert Fiefdoms. Savin is not aware of this child.

Savin counts anything evil as his enemy, but in a casual way. He does not go out of his way to foil them, but feels obligated to do so when he comes across them.

Notes:

- I did Savin a long time ago, sometime around B1r's prep if I recall. He's slightly adjusted for posting here.

- As I'll note in nagging, establishing a base of worshipers for the various PC deities will help when I need to draw characters out. This is the first step towards that.

Mariner 5/Fortune Blade 4//Duskblade 9

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Hit Dice: 9d8+9+9 (62 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 20 (+7 dex, +3 armor)
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +9/+10/27
Attack: Imith+18 (1d6+2 15-20 x2)
Full Attack: Imith+18/+13 (1d6+2 15-20 x2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Dirty strike+1d4, spell blade(2nd), power spell+2, spells, arcane channeling.
Special Qualities: Immunity to sleep, low-light vision, sailor lore, seamanship+2, back to back+1, arcane attunement, armored mage(medium+heavy shields), quick cast 1/day, spell power+2.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 (+2 vs enchantment)
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 25, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 9
Skills: Balance+21, Climb+15, Concentration+13, Jump+13, Knowledge(Arcana)+16, Knowledge(Religion)+10, Listen+14, Profession(Sailor)+16, Spellcraft+16, Spot+14, Swim+13, Tumble+19, Use Rope+19
Feats: Toughness(1), Weapon Focus(Rapier)(M1), Combat Casting(D2), Combat Expertise(3), Improved Trip(M5), Weapon Finesse(6), Improved Critical(Rapier)(FB1), Arcane Strike(9)
Epic Feats: -
Alignment: Chaotic Good (Chaotic Neutral tendencies)

Mariner powers:

Sailor Lore (Ex)

A mariner picks up a lot of knowledge by listening to local gossip in various ports of call or from the sea stories of shipmates. A mariner may make a special sailor lore check with a bonus equal to his mariner level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local people or history, far away places, or strange superstitions. This check will not necessarily reveal true information, as much of the time the mariner heard it from someone who heard it from a friend, who heard it from a guy, etc. The mariner may not take 10 or 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random. The DM will determine the DC of the check by referring to the accompanying table.

Seamanship (Ex)

A mariner gains the listed bonus as a competence bonus to all Balance, Climb, and Profession (sailor) checks.

Dirty Strike (Ex)

A mariner is adept at maneuvers such as hitting below the belt, head butts, sucker punches, and other opportunistic tricks. Starting at 2nd level, a mariner may choose to make a single melee attack on his turn as a full round action that deals an additional +1d4 points of damage. This bonus increases to +2d4 at 6th level, +3d4 at 10th level, +4d4 at 14th level, and +5d4 at 18th level. The additional damage caused by a dirty strike is the same kind of damage as the weapon used in the attack; a 2nd-level mariner that uses a club to make a dirty strike deals an additional +1d4 bludgeoning damage, for example, and if the damage dealt by the attack is nonlethal damage, the additional damage is also nonlethal. This ability has no effect on creatures without a discernable anatomy or that are immune to critical hits, such as constructs, oozes, plants, or undead. Additional damage from a dirty strike is not multiplied if the mariner scores a successful critical hit.

Back-to-Back (Ex)

A mariner is trained in fighting alongside his shipmates in cramped and crowded conditions, especially against superior numbers. Starting at 4th level, whenever a mariner is adjacent to an ally and using the fighting defensively or total defense combat options or the Combat Expertise feat, he gains a +1 dodge bonus to his AC. This bonus increases to +2 at 8th level, +3 at 12th level, +4 at 16th level, and +5 at 20th level. He loses this bonus if he is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC or if he or his ally moves more than 5 ft. away.

Fortune Blade powers:

Spellblade (Sp)

Whenever you confirm a critical hit, magical energy courses through your veins and into your blade. This causes extra effects whenever you confirm a critical hit. When this happens, you may choose any arcane spell you have memorized (if you cast as a wizard) or know (if you cast as a sorcerer). This spell instantly activates, taking effect on the target. This spell resolves as normal, including saving throws and spell resistance. Spells that require an attack roll(s) to hit do not need to do so, nor are these spells counted as being critical hits. This spell does not count as being used - you do not use any components, spell charges are not consumed and a memorized spell is not lost.

The spell in question must be able to target the victim normally, such as charm person, magic missile or sleep. Alternately, it may be an area, burst or radius effect, with the victim at the center of it. You gain no special protections against the spell in this case. You cannot use a spell that would not be able to center itself on a living creature as a valid target, such as wall of force or a summon monster spell. You may not use a spell for spellblade that has a material component that costs more than 1 gold piece.

At 2nd level you can have a 0 or 1st level spell occur when you confirm a critical hit. This level rises by 1 every 2 levels. At 4th level you may use a 2nd level spell, at 6th level you may use a 3rd level spell and so on.

A spell cast through a critical hit and spellblade is a free action. A spell that takes more than 1 round to cast cannot be cast through spellblade.

Creatures immune to critical hits are not subject to them against you. However, if you land a critical threat on one, you may resolve it as normal. Confirming the threat allows spellblade to trigger as normal, though no other aspects of a critical hit occur.

You may not use metamagic on a spell cast by spellblade. Metamagic that is applied automatically, such as the automatic metamagic epic feat or certain class features, functions as normal.

Power Spell (Ex)

When you confirm a critical hit and cast a spell through spellblade, you gain a +2 bonus to the caster level. At 9th level this bonus rises to +4.

Duskblade powers:

Savin casts as a 9th level duskblade.

Arcane Attunement (Sp)

You can use the spell-like powers dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, and read magic a combined total of times per day equal to 3 + your Int modifier. These spell-like powers do not count against your total of spells known or spells per day.

Armored Mage (Ex)

Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster's gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. A duskblade's limited focus and specialized training, however, allows you to avoid arcane spell failure so long as you stick to light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to medium or heavy armors, nor to heavy shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

At 4th level, you learn to use medium armor with no chance of arcane spell failure.

At 7th level, you learn to use a heavy shield with no chance of arcane spell failure.

Arcane Channeling (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

Quick Cast (Ex)

Beginning at 5th level, you can cast one spell each day as a swift action, so long as the casting time of the spell is 1 standard action or less.

You can use this ability twice per day at 10th level, three times per day at 15th level, and four times per day at 20th level.

Spell Power (Ex)

Starting at 6th level, you can more easily overcome the spell resistance of any opponent you successfully injure with a melee attack. If you have injured an opponent with a melee attack, you gain a +2 bonus on your caster level check to overcome spell resistance for the remainder of the encounter. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level, to +4 at 16th level, and to +5 at 18th level.

Gear:

Savin carries Imith, a rapier+1 that can automatically confirm a critical hit in exchange for dealing 10% of Savin's maximum points to himself (currently 6 hit points). A formerly cursed weapon, the curse was broken but the blade still sips the life force of the wielder.

Beyond that, Savin wears bracers of armor+3, gloves of dexterity+4, a circlet of intelligence+2 and carries several potions of cure moderate or cure serious wounds on him at any time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Clara Eointir

Fluff:

Hi, I'm Clara. Is this seat taken? Great. So I I heard you asking about me when the mayor paid out the bounty reward for those trolls. I serve Saint Alicia as a paladin, a holy warrior that sees to the protection of others, as she protected all of us. I'm still young, I was born right around the death of Emperor Ferdi. My Dad didn't survive the war, but my Mom and family took good care of me; I always knew I was loved. My hobbies are reading scripture, telling stories and grooming Swifthoof, my heavenly mount. I strive to be the best paladin I can, including mixing in some of my family's more high flying fencing styles.

You see this rapier here? It was my Mom's when she was a warrior, and my Grandmother's and so on. It's named Eiontir, just like my last time. It's perfect for a warrior like me - after all, it's no two bladed sword or falchion, but Saint Alicia fought with a mere quarterstaff and defeated great evils with it. She's so inspiring, isn't she, and she's so beautiful and strong and the stories make her out to be incredible and all of her friends are incredible, like Syala and Latha and Antenora and Jessica, plus she's defeated emperors, demons, devils and liches, not to mention...er...

Er...

Sorry! I get excited talking about Saint Alicia. She's really the best. Why don't I get you a meal and drinks and we talk about her over it? She's the one who guided my blade against those trolls. I can tell you all the best stories about her. Like the time she faced a down Death itself over Balmuria, that's my favorite. You see, it was after...

- Clara Eointir, half elf paladin of Alicia Reynes, discussing herself and her faith to her future fiancee, Accursed Danlin.

Clara? A fine battle maiden and stony as a golem. She was at my side yesterday when we broke that wyvern infestation, fighting along with me. Brave as a mountain lion and twice as strong. I'm proud to call her a member of the Iron Red Band.

Elgarr Thundros, human warrior, member of the Iron Red Band.

Never thought I'd fall in love. Clara's great top to bottom, I'm lucky to have her. She gets so excited when she gets around me. Makes a man feel good, feel wanted. Gives me someone to protect. Makes every day mean something, makes the gold we save up stay in my pouch instead of in a barkeep's pocket. We'll get a real home one day when it's over and...ah shut up. Who cares if I am? She's worth it. Even when she gets worked up over her religion.

Except when she calls me her Antenora. I still don't get that part.

- Accursed Danlin, tiefling warlock and servant of the Elf Father, over drinks with Elgarr Thundros.

Paladin 7//Swashbuckler 5/Knight of Sylica 2

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Hit Dice: 7d10+7+7 (64 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 20 (+4 dex, +1 dodge, +5 armor)
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +7/+9/23
Attack: Eointir+12 (1d6+5 18-20 x2)
Full Attack: Eointir+12/+7 (1d6+5 18-20 x2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Smite evil 4/day, channel energy 8/day(2d6; DC 17), insightful strike.
Special Qualities: Immunity to sleep, low-light vision, aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands (35 hp), aura of courage, divine health, special mount, remove disease 1/week, stealth of the shadowed angel, light of the shining angel.
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +11, Will +8 (+2 vs enchantment)
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 20   
Skills: Balance+14, Climb+12, Concentration+11, Diplomacy+17, Gather Information+17, Handle Animal+15, Knowledge(Religion)+12, Ride+14, Sense Motive+8, Use Rope+14
Feats: Devotee of Sylica(1), Weapon Finesse(S1), Toughness(3), Extra Smiting(6)
Epic Feats: -
Alignment: Lawful Exalted

Paladin powers:

Clara casts as a 7th level paladin.

Detect Evil (Sp)

At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.

Smite Evil (Su)

Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Paladin, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

Divine Grace (Su)

At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Lay on Hands (Su)

Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level x her Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn't have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Aura of Courage (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Health (Ex)

At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.

Turn Undead (Su)

When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would.

Special Mount (Sp)

Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil (see below). This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).

Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin's class level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.

Should the paladin's mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Remove Disease (Sp)

At 6th level, a paladin can produce a remove disease effect, as the spell, once per week. She can use this ability one additional time per week for every three levels after 6th (twice per week at 9th, three times at 12th, and so forth).

Swashbuckler powers:

Grace (Ex)

A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 2nd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 20th level. A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Insightful Strike (Ex)

At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler's insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Knight of Sylica powers:

Stealth of the Shadowed Angel (Sp)

You are protected by the shadows, hidden from evil's prying eyes. Once per day you can cast nondetection as a spell like ability. Your caster level equals your hit dice.

Light of the Shining Angel (Su)

Radiance from above shines down, wiping away the undead that fear the sun's touch. Whenever you turn undead, the radius of effect is filled with sunlight for one round. This is identical to real sunlight, having all the normal effects of sunlight. This effect is treated as a 3rd level light spell for the sake of interacting with darkness descriptor spells.

Gear: [spoiler]

Clara wields Eointir, a family blade that is a rapier+1. Beyond that she wears a masterwork mithral breastplate and a cloak of charisma+2. Beyond that she carries the normal supplies of an adventurer, including various potions.

Swifthoof, Clara's special mount, wears chain barding as well as horseshoes of a zephyr.
<Afina> Forever.