News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Emancipation

Started by Anastasia, August 22, 2019, 01:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"I could," Waukeen says, "Which would lead to denials and likely a trade war and reprisals. No, the mercane are best not crossed lightly, Seira. Not without overwhelming proof, and with any practicality, in private. A public declaration will, even if it causes a change of administration, result in hostility. That sort of accusation undermines the image of the mercane and will cost them a great deal of money."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"But that's the kind of bold gamble I think we need," Seira voices. "At present, they are devil tools. Asmodeus has his claws in Acheron, and made some gains on Fire as well. If we're right about the Mercane Consortium, and I believe we are, they are our enemies. They are already operating against both of our interests, except behind the scenes, and the neutral players are likely unaware of the circumstances. The Mercane also provide a lot of discrete services and information, and now all of it is being provided with a hidden taint. Wouldn't we be better served by a hit to their reputation and trying to cause a change of administration, even if they would take offense?"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"Can you weather the mercane applying pressure to every merchant they can reach to not trade with you? Can you endure paid attacks in the shadows across the realms?" Waukeen says, "Can you endure every diplomat the mercane can manipulate speaking poorly of you, or working against your interests?" Here she looks over her treasures, "The mercane have power, Seira, and to challenge them directly will have consequences, win or lose. Even if you're right and you succeed, the next group will make an example of you and yours."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"They can't take you on," Seira insists. "It's ridiculous! Yes, it's a huge gamble if I call them out, but you're measured and impartial. The only reason you'd even speak is because they're tilting the balance. I believe that your very neutrality will be key to your unassailability."

Anastasia

"Oh, they can take me on," Waukeen says, "They'll lose," Her smile turns rather unkind here, "But they can try. The profits that will be lost on all sides are not insignificant. What you speak of is an option of last result, one that will leave scars and wounds on all of us. Brightwater included, you're close enough to us that this will be seen as something done with my support, unless I disown you for it."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"What would you prefer, though? Working in silence against the Mercane, the way they must be against both of us? Or are you willing to call them out yourself if I get you actionable proof?"

Anastasia

"Get stone cold, iron clad proof and I'll consider it," Waukeen says, "Proof that not even the most silken tongued fiend can lie out of. This fiend you know more of now, try and find him, talk to him, track this down."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I can try," Seira agrees. "Could you try to find information about him as well, and pursue your own contacts in the Consortium?"

Anastasia

"Very well," Waukeen agrees, "Discreetly, though I have a suspicion that you're already known to him. Devilish planning and paranoia would account for you."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Which is why you are the best venue to challenge them," Seira notes. "If you manage to counter them, or even just slow down their poison a bit, I might just have enough time to find all the proof we need."

Anastasia

At that, "Do you have a plan on how to find the evidence you want or otherwise stop this?" Waukeen asks.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I got what I know from talking to the disaffected. It's time to approach those who support our causes in the Consortium, so that's the first thing I want to focus on."

Anastasia

A simple nod to that, "Do you have someone in mind first?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I figured I'd start with the contact you introduced me to and let Sanzha look into things for me," Seira muses. "Unless you have a better idea?"

Anastasia

"Start there," Waukeen agrees, as...

Okay then, much else to add here with your plotting and planning?
<Afina> Forever.