Ebullience

Started by Anastasia, January 17, 2022, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

The light of Chronias shines down silently.

Grias flutters about, several bundles of papers carried along by his telekinesis.

Kaja laughs long and low, chuckling over something Sylvie said. The two fall into step as they leave, yet Sylvie hesitates. "I'll catch up," she says.

Cresiel and Xandra likewise leave together, only a slight nod from Xandra at his silent look of question. The benefits to future sight are many, and the two go forth with no need for words.

Jetina lingers. She produces her shield and lays it on the table as Sylvie approaches.

All of you are in your private office. A discussion about realm matters, essential if not critical. Yet under the light of Chronias it seems even more meaningful. Important. Laid deep in you is a sense of purpose.

"Healer's Aegis," Jetina offers once it's the three of you. "Have you heard the legends of other divine shields?"

"Of course," Sylvie sits next to Jetina. "It's the light, isn't it?"

"You may not see the future, but you seem almost as insightful at times." Jetina exhales softly, eyes closed. "So often for things the one factor we lack is time. Our deeds are great, our magic mighty. Yet who has time for 77,777 paladins and 77,777 years? Lord Raziel had such time, but I do not." She rests her hand on the shield, intact and flawless despite the battles it has seen. "I wish to live up to what I have been given, to forge my legends so brightly."

"And the light makes you want to do something, to give it more purpose and meaning?" Sylvie inquires, smiling slightly. Not quite a smirk, but there's a distinctly smug bit to it. After Jetina bows her head in assent, "Raziel's shield is a highly enchanted piece of shit."

The sputter from Jetina nearly chokes her, eyes widening before, "How dare you blasphemy so?"

"The point is," Sylvie ignores that, "Is for that all the legends around Holy Crusader and Majesty, his shield is just his shield. The armor you got from Io's hoard? That's an impressive legend. These things will work themselves out in time. Your shield will get where it needs to be one day, so will Raziel's. Have some trust in the higher power." A look out the window and up, "I understand that's in style here."

A pause. Jetina looks up, "You are such a...female dog." That comes out at last, exasperated.

"I'm also right. It's my fatal character flaw, so often right." Sylvie reaches over to gently pat Jetina's shoulder. "Also, it's not blasphemy when I do it. It's constructive criticism of a peer."

A chance to warm up, stretch your legs and get things going. Go ahead and set yourself up.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

"It is a bit reductive to say that, Sylvie." Moore says. "But even so, there is something to be said about something - anything, just being 'magical'. Though there is a question when something stops being magical and becomes an artifact. I'm sure we could find the exact point where something stops 'just' being magical."

A smile and a shrug at that. "But we're not subordinates of Mystra, so I don't think we need to worry. Sylvie is right - as she says - that our own words, our own actions, everything we do has meaning. In ten hundred million years, perhaps the ring I wear today will have become sort of lost artifact that I decided to hide away on a prime word for someone to find and do good with. We can't worry about what the future holds, but we also can't worry about the past." He says with a gesture around and outside.

"We have today, and what we do with today is what makes tomorrow." Moore says. "Sylvie is also right that things will work out - even when I bet 21 said otherwise."

Anastasia

"Reductive doesn't mean wrong," Sylvie counters lightly.

Meanwhile Jetina pats her shield, "There's wisdom to that, but I fear that the coming tomorrow..." she stops, "No matter. Courage will see us forward."

As you talk? "Moore," Grias flies right back in. "A moment, please!"
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"Of course, Grias. What is it?" He asks.

Anastasia

"A mercane's here and wants to speak with you. He has  letter of introduction from Filbrez," Grias says, "It must be important if he has that, right?"

Sylvie glances over, "Or there's money it for Filbrez. It's only good business sense to leverage personal connections."

"Yes, but Filbrez is not unkind nor is he cruel," Jetina counters, "He wouldn't give that out without a good reason."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"Filbrez also knows that he has the reputation of Aurora to uphold." Moore adds. "He wouldn't do anything without a good intent, fiscal or otherwise. Show to our sitting room, Grias, we'll have some snacks and things for him. You both are welcome if you'd care to come." He adds to Sylvie and Jetina.

Anastasia

"May as well," Sylvie says, "Calley's busy today anyway. Off on a play date with Gond's daughter."

"Oh, again? Those two get along, don't they?" Jetina follows, a little smile showing on her face.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"The burden of children is great." Moore says.

He will move them all to their sitting room - small couches and chairs around a table - well lit from the outside without actually allowing anyone to see in. His divine will ensures privacy in the room itself, as he will sit and wait for this visitor to be shown in.

Anastasia

The mercane sits. He is dressed in dark robes and sits, hands folded into his robes. On the table sits a few sheets of paper, away from the window and the light it lets in.

The mercane nods, the slightest jerkiness it.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Take 10 on K:P for 123 - who is this guy to begin with?

Also take 10 on Sense Motive for also 123 for anything he says or does that make my lie detector go off.

"Welcome to Hope's Landing." Moore greets him with a smile and a nod. "Please, tell me why you're here and what we can do for you."

Anastasia

Before you get to that, you notice it immediately thanks to your vigilance. He's been mentally influenced. His will is not wholly his own. A hand slips into a pocket as he turns, about to speak.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore merely looks directly at this mercane and opens his mouth.

"Awaken."

It's one word - filled with his own power, the power of Creation and his will to break this enchantment - to break whatever control is afflicting them.

Words of Creation are being invoked here - effectively like Break Enchantment but in Words form! Hopefully the guy can get his faculties back.

[13:34] <Nephrite> roll 1d20+17+17+15 charisma
[13:34] <Rei-chan> Nephrite rolled : 1d20+17+17+15 charisma --> [ 1d20=13 ]{62}

Anastasia

The mercane stares a moment, seemingly out of focus - and he slowly withdraws his hand. A vial of something green, of something that turns your stomach to see.

> roll 1d20+35 Dex check Sylvie
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+35 Dex check Sylvie --> [ 1d20=12 ]{47}
> roll 1d20+41 Jetina
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+41 Jetina --> [ 1d20=4 ]{45}

Fast.

Sylvie has it before it can be opened or fall to the ground, a gentle flick of her hands knocking it up not from contact, but from the wind and force of her movements.

Jetina manifests a thin blue sphere around it once it's knocked into the air, her focus wholly on it in an instant. The sphere flies to her and she grasps it, vanishing an instant later with the contents of it.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"Something is certainly amiss." Moore says. Especially since his attempt to restore this person did nothing...

Take 10 for Detect Magic for 118 and K:A for 123 for anything that might tell us what's going on.

"Jetina, can you see if you're able to put him back to rights? It may be something your unique healing focus can help." He says. "It doesn't seem like my words can reach them."

Anastasia

He has no particular magic on him besides an unremarkable nondetection spell. Not strong, a mortal could easily match it. You strongly suspect he's been influenced, and there are non magical ways to do so. A sufficiently talented speaker can, a legendary sort.

It is familiar for obvious reasons, yes.

As Jetina's currently gone with the vial, Sylvie goes to him, "I heard Zaphkiel's voice a moment before. I think you did have some impact but something's wrong. Still, we had enough of a warning."

Jetina's answer isn't to come herself, but her avatar appears in the room. "I'm busy with what's in vial," she explains, "But let me." She approaches him, "I'll quickly get to the truth of what plagues him so."
<Afina> Forever.