Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranma_007

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Ranma_007 on November 07, 2011, 09:18:44 PM
Simon Bre! I remember you.

No, I'm just a figment of Merc's imagination.
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Dracos

Merc has an overactive imagination.
Well, Goodbye.

sarsaparilla

Fever and headache, again. Clearly, my body doesn't like me. >_>

thepanda

The new schedule at work is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Yuthirin

First chapter says "Second Revision" at the top.

First paragraph: six gramatical mistakes and twelve spelling errors. I'm already done with this.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Some folks don't know what revision means?
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

New addition to List of Unexpected Things I Have Caused to Explode in a Microwave: apple cider.

(Items already on the List include: liver and onions.)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Wait...what?

How does apple cider explode? o_O
Well, Goodbye.

sarsaparilla

Closed container? When heated, pretty much anything explodes eventually if there isn't any room for thermal expansion. I'm more puzzled about the need to microwave apple cider in the first place....

Brian

Running.  Solves.  NOTHING.

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on November 12, 2011, 08:41:15 PM
New addition to List of Unexpected Things I Have Caused to Explode in a Microwave: apple cider.

(Items already on the List include: liver and onions.)

A story (as well as I can articulate, given my current state):

Once, when my mother and father were still young (and married), my mother asked my father:  "What happens if you microwave an egg?"

Quoth my father: "...it explodes."

He leaves for work that day.  Comes back home.  Nothing is amiss, but he eyes my mother and muses, "So ... what did you do today?"

Replies she, "Cleaned the microwave."

*beat*

"...you did it, didn't you."

"...yeah."

(This is Lore: Family, as I was not actually born at the time--  But a demonstration of the principle that the microwave MUST be used to detonate things.)

Entirely unrelated:

Arakawa, if you're free in the next (eternity) we should chat in IRC at (temporal coordinates undefined) so I can properly apologize to you over my various behaviors.

Edit: SO.  MUCH.  WORK.  I have been on-call or attending scripts 24/7 for the last five days.  Holy COW it's unsettling becoming inexplicably integral to so many high-level aspects of the company.  I did not realize until the CEO came to talk to me that I had carte blanche om hardware control, but now that I do know, I am absolutely disqualifying the less performant H/W in-stack.

Quote from: sarsaparilla on November 08, 2011, 01:05:53 PMFever and headache, again. Clearly, my body doesn't like me. >_>
Oop, didn't catch this; hope you're feeling better now.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on November 13, 2011, 02:29:44 AM
How does apple cider explode? o_O

Quote from: sarsaparilla on November 13, 2011, 03:22:06 AM
Closed container? When heated, pretty much anything explodes eventually if there isn't any room for thermal expansion. I'm more puzzled about the need to microwave apple cider in the first place....

No, no closed container.

It was very nice apple cider which had been kept around a little too long and started to turn a little alcoholic? I don't know, I was exactly as surprised as you are. Ruined a perfectly nice cup, cider all over the inside of the microwave, I guess if you don't do things for Science, Science will do things for you :-(

I'm not microwaving anything with alcohol in it from now on, just to be safe... *remembers* There goes that theory... I'd been flavouring it with a dash of cognac on previous occasions, so now I have no clue what made it explode this time. Ditto with the liver and onions, being reheated on top of a perfectly open plate (I guess the outer surface of the actual liver had effectively become a sealed container from previous cooking?)

Why cider was being microwaved: lazy way to heat it up, of course. Put in two sticks of cinnamon, some nutmeg, dash of some aromatic liquor, highly recommended. Just make sure it's fresh cider, and, (given my recent experience) either make sure your sympathetic vibrations are attuned to not-blowing-things-up-in-microwaves, find a reality warper who is likewise attuned and get them to supervise the process for you, or use a stove.

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2011, 05:30:16 AM
Arakawa, if you're free in the next (eternity) we should chat in IRC at (temporal coordinates undefined) so I can properly apologize to you over my various behaviors.

Okay, I'll do my best to catch you at some point... can't make any guarantees as to exactly when. Hope to have an interesting conversation and not just an exchange of apologies :-)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on November 13, 2011, 11:22:02 AMI'm not microwaving anything with alcohol in it from now on, just to be safe... *remembers* There goes that theory... I'd been flavouring it with a dash of cognac on previous occasions, so now I have no clue what made it explode this time. Ditto with the liver and onions, being reheated on top of a perfectly open plate (I guess the outer surface of the actual liver had effectively become a sealed container from previous cooking?)

With only a very little grease and time to congeal, onions can asplode, too.

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on November 13, 2011, 11:22:02 AMWhy cider was being microwaved: lazy way to heat it up, of course. Put in two sticks of cinnamon, some nutmeg, dash of some aromatic liquor, highly recommended. Just make sure it's fresh cider, and, (given my recent experience) either make sure your sympathetic vibrations are attuned to not-blowing-things-up-in-microwaves, find a reality warper who is likewise attuned and get them to supervise the process for you, or use a stove.

This is the only thing I can guess, but since it wasn't clean water, it's at the statistically highly improbable end of the spectrum:

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

The following video demonstrates another thing that can be detonated to a degree within a microwave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw

Not for the faint of heart. ;p
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Brian

ugh

As a fan of Weird Al, that is my least favorite song by him, only because the content is depressing instead of hilarious.

~exploding tag~