There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

I have got to stop using tvtropes for fanfic recs.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on January 28, 2012, 06:23:44 PM
And yet it is nowhere near as complex and chaotic as the generalized three-mind problem.

There is a fairly interesting book by Allen Pease called "The Definitive Book of Body Language" that purports to address this topic.  I haven't really seriously studied it (read through it once or twice, but haven't practiced any of it beyond the hand chapter), so I can't say whether there's something to it or not, but if you're really frustrated and motivated to learn how to read people...

thepanda

Quote from: Anastasia on January 29, 2012, 09:41:40 PM
Dare I ask?

Let's just say that when half of the reviews on the massive recs page purport the fics to be the 'best Naruto fanfic I've ever read' while simultaneously describing premises so absurd it makes you wonder how the hell someone could ever pull that off well, don't wonder.

Because they can't.

Seriously, who was the genius that came up with the 'Naruto is banished from the Hidden Leaf' plot? Or the bane of my current foray into the fandom, 'Naruto is abused/beaten/regularly mobbed by the citizens/ninja'?

It has gotten so god damned annoying I feel like punching the internet.

Yuthirin

Everyone (!) loves a super-duper-(mega-ultra-bodacious)tragic hero! Especially if he's abused by father figures and friends!

You see this a lot in Harry Potter fanfics as well. It's really irritating.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 29, 2012, 11:57:34 PM
Everyone (!) loves a super-duper-(mega-ultra-bodacious)tragic hero! Especially if he's abused by father figures and friends!

I'm glad I don't read those fandoms now.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 29, 2012, 11:57:34 PM

It's so stupid, though. They're really just going to kick their NUCLEAR WEAPON out of the village because he dared harm Sasuke when he went to retrieve the kid RUNNING AWAY TO JOIN THEIR ENEMIES!? And this isn't just one fic, oh no. This is a sub-genre of Naruto fic unto itself.

Halbarad

Yeah, I've definitely learned to treat tvtropes recs with a healthy dose of salt. You do still stand a better chance of coming across decent fics there than general ff.net searches, but most fandoms are split about 50/50 between worthwhile reads and drek in my experience.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Brian

The thing about TVTropes recs is ... while most tropers have fairly high standards in terms of qualities, there are no bars in adding fics to the recs pages.  I mean none.  It's even explicitly permissible to recommend your own stuff.

It's a wikiAnyone can edit it.

Of course, in that example, yeah, there's also a pile of people who agree it's awesome.  In Naruto specifically, this is what I consider an extension of the RSE situation.  NSEs, instead--  People want Naruto to be a hero emerging from tragedy, so they make all of his 'pranks' either a testament to his amazing skill, or entirely justified because the leaf villagers are monumental idiots in order to (presumably) make him seem more sympathetic.

For what it's worth?  I haven't much read Naruto fics like that.  Because when it heads that direction, I find something else to read.

On topic:

Insomnia. -_-

Edit: Also:

BLEAGH.  Someone asked me for the old (crappy) ending of Later to be restored.  Bah.  BAH!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Quote from: thepanda on January 29, 2012, 11:40:22 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 29, 2012, 09:41:40 PM
Dare I ask?

Let's just say that when half of the reviews on the massive recs page purport the fics to be the 'best Naruto fanfic I've ever read' while simultaneously describing premises so absurd it makes you wonder how the hell someone could ever pull that off well, don't wonder.

Because they can't.

Seriously, who was the genius that came up with the 'Naruto is banished from the Hidden Leaf' plot? Or the bane of my current foray into the fandom, 'Naruto is abused/beaten/regularly mobbed by the citizens/ninja'?

It has gotten so god damned annoying I feel like punching the internet.

It's not correct.

But you can blame skysaber.  There's even reasonable evidence to support.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Brian on January 30, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
The thing about TVTropes recs is ... while most tropers have fairly high standards in terms of qualities, there are no bars in adding fics to the recs pages.  I mean none.  It's even explicitly permissible to recommend your own stuff.

It's a wikiAnyone can edit it.

Of course, in that example, yeah, there's also a pile of people who agree it's awesome.  In Naruto specifically, this is what I consider an extension of the RSE situation.  NSEs, instead--  People want Naruto to be a hero emerging from tragedy, so they make all of his 'pranks' either a testament to his amazing skill, or entirely justified because the leaf villagers are monumental idiots in order to (presumably) make him seem more sympathetic.

For what it's worth?  I haven't much read Naruto fics like that.  Because when it heads that direction, I find something else to read.

On topic:

Insomnia. -_-

Edit: Also:

BLEAGH.  Someone asked me for the old (crappy) ending of Later to be restored.  Bah.  BAH!

Well, to be fair, dropping lil pranker kid naruto mostly from the script makes for a more interesting Naruto to follow in most cases.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on January 30, 2012, 01:27:53 PM
But you can blame skysaber.

This is actually the answer to every problem. Ever. Anywhere. True story.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 30, 2012, 01:35:48 PM

Including the fact that I'm getting hives and sneezing right now?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 30, 2012, 01:36:38 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on January 30, 2012, 01:35:48 PM

Including the fact that I'm getting hives and sneezing right now?

Absolutely. Skysaber is a known allergen.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.