There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Not really, but it is an old one that has been used before.  :(

Mmm, that's a scary thought.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

It might not be, but I'd change your password from a known safe machine and check out the machines you use it on. I'd be more concerned with your home machine, since assuming decent It they'd catch any serious virus activity on a work computer.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

It's amazing how a six am phone call can leave your entire day sleepy. @_@
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Family wanting tech support.  Seriously was not cool.
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

Java is a language that crawled out of James Gosling's arse, and for some reason he decided to inflict it on the world. Technical details follow:

Java has five integral types: byte (8 bits), short (16 bits), char (16 bits), int (32 bits), and long (64 bits). Of these five, char is always unsigned, and the others are always signed. However, char is meant for working with string characters, not numbers. So there is effectively no unsigned integer type in Java, which causes problems when, for instance, you want to implement a VM whose specification assumes you have unsigned integers.

But that's not the best part. The best part is this: as far as the JVM is concerned, bytes, shorts, and chars do not exist. They are implemented as ints with a bit of bit-masking. This means that if you have an array of one thousand bytes, it doesn't take up 1000 bytes of memory; it takes 4000, since each byte is stored as a 4-byte integer.

And they use this language for embedded programming!

Dracos

Yeah, not surprised that Java is still absolutely terrible for tight memory constraint applications.  I remember having to deal with with an earthquake simulation that we wanted to scale to the millions of nodes.  The first step of that on the java side was tearing down everything to raw packed data since doing it through their normal data types did exactly what you said and that by involving classes, there would be bumping to the next minimum packing level.

My bitch would also be programming related.  Someone at some point in Ruby decided:
$:

Was a good syntax for path.  Seriously.  Was using some kind of word too hard?
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I woke up with my guts aflame and acid in my throat. It's lovely for your first day back to work after a vacation to be a working sick day.
<Afina> Forever.

Jon

Quote from: Jon on September 15, 2010, 04:13:11 AM
But that's not the best part. The best part is this: as far as the JVM is concerned, bytes, shorts, and chars do not exist. They are implemented as ints with a bit of bit-masking. This means that if you have an array of one thousand bytes, it doesn't take up 1000 bytes of memory; it takes 4000, since each byte is stored as a 4-byte integer.

Okay, turns out it's not quite that bad; byte arrays still only take up 8 bits per cell, but they're sign-extended into 32-bit ints as soon as you read from them. Still abysmally stupid, though.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on September 15, 2010, 01:24:39 PM
I woke up with my guts aflame and acid in my throat. It's lovely for your first day back to work after a vacation to be a working sick day.

That's terrible :(  Hope ye feel better.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

The computers at my office block java applets. :(
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Jon

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 15, 2010, 06:00:08 PM
The computers at my office block java applets. :(

Is this about IRC? Try Mibbit.

Dracos

Mibbit was so awesome, until mibbit got blocked.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.