News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hadda buy it for just that reason.

Right before I realized that XChat is superior.

Damnit.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

QuoteSo apparently the new mIRC stops opening after 45 days of free use.
It sorta doesn't, it's just the next level in it's nagware. While it will normally give an option to exit (ie, you can't open mIRC), it will sometimes give you an option to log on, generally if you open the register link (even if you don't actually register). It still takes time, and it's kind of random, so that can still be pretty annoying.

While it's only $10 (here's a coupon that makes the price 50% off the usual $20 if you care to pay for it), I've lived through enough of it's nagging that I don't feel like paying for it when it made the nagging even WORSE than it used to be. That's just rewarding bad behavior! >_>

If you want to move onto something else though, try Xchat 2 like Brian suggests. A lot of people use it, it does have a few nice features mIRC doesn't. Most importantly, it's free, not shareware (like original Xchat) or nagware (like mIRC).

I don't particularly like it myself, though, I tried it very briefly and didn't like trying to set it up. It might be possible to get it to the sort of set-up I like, but the mIRC thing doesn't bug me much since I usually leave it open even if I'm not logged on, and I like having most of my chat windows visible at the same time, whereas Xchat, from all I could see, only seems to have a tree-view, where you can only have one chat window visible at a time and have to tab between channels.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

QuoteWhile it's only $10 (here's a coupon that makes the price 50% off the usual $20 if you care to pay for it), I've lived through enough of it's nagging that I don't feel like paying for it when it made the nagging even WORSE than it used to be. That's just rewarding bad behavior! >_>

That's sort of why I bought it. Not the nagging - I bought it years ago - but because I'd been using it forever. I can safely say MIRC has proven it's worth, it's worth a few bucks after all this.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Yeah, I'm rather fond of mIRC...and I like buying things.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Jon

Quote from: Merc on July 13, 2011, 02:38:47 AM
I don't particularly like it myself, though, I tried it very briefly and didn't like trying to set it up. It might be possible to get it to the sort of set-up I like, but the mIRC thing doesn't bug me much since I usually leave it open even if I'm not logged on, and I like having most of my chat windows visible at the same time, whereas Xchat, from all I could see, only seems to have a tree-view, where you can only have one chat window visible at a time and have to tab between channels.

At least in the Linux version, Xchat has the option to 'detach' a channel from the main window. So you could detach all your channels, then use your window manager to tile them.

Dracos

X-chat 2 is obnoxiously non-free to windows users.

Anyhow, sadness, no looming yesterday, lots of 'you don't win' problems at work lately.
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

Quote from: Dracos on July 13, 2011, 02:27:37 PM
X-chat 2 is obnoxiously non-free to windows users.

That's why you have to use the silverex build Merc linked.

Anastasia

Trying to get a new job or a transfer is proving highly difficult. Every time I put in for a job, the position closes a few days later. Argh.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Too depressing.  Dropping out of the Haruhi fandom for a while.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Dracos

So, I like C# for a lot of things.  It's a neat language, it supports both compile time type checking and automatic typing.  It's got a very powerful library set on it.

What I don't like is that its project format (for MSbuild) is a painful to read mess of wildcard syntax and blocks of unconnected rationale.  It's ugly and it's just a binary representation away from being only readable for machines.  That mass property definitions have their own custom editor now and can't simply just be added rapidly.

Meh!

So...  VS2010.  Going to it.

Who's there waiting for me as the new standard project format for everything under the sun?

Screw you microsoft.  Really @_@
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I hate having to make bad and worse choices.
<Afina> Forever.

Music-chan

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

thepanda

Half-sleep idiot nearly takes my head off at work last night after almost smashing another guy's foot between a 7000 lbs container and a lock meant to stop said container from moving. The asshole managed to scratch both of my lenses up while my glasses were on my face.

Can still see enough to function but goddamn is it irritating. Went to get 2  pair of new glasses (lenses and frames). Fortunately, my insurance is pretty good. Covers up to 115$ on a single pair of glasses and pays half of the second pair and the 40$ full eye exam only cost me 12$. Still end up paying over 300$ because the insurance doesn't cover the extras on the lenses (no-scratch, HD, uv block, no-glare) or the warrenty. Won't get my new glasses until the second of august, though.

Kind of ruined my B-day plans and I feel like I'm going to be needlessly irritated for the next two weeks.