"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

We all went outside back then, I think.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Carthrat

Kicking and screaming, in my case. >_>
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

thepanda

Quote from: Ebiris on August 15, 2011, 03:16:59 AM
No Wikipedia, no Youtube... my God, how did we live?
Fan shrines, webrings, mailings lists, archives, and fora where a few hundred posts meant you were awake one weekend. We marched the march of madmen, laughing loudly as we danced through the flames.

Also, Geocities, twirling animated .gifs, and midi files that blare the moment you open a page? Do Not Want.

Brian

Remember how we found fanfiction back then?  Because authors would link eachother.

Most people got in from the anime web turnpike (doesn't THAT take you back?).
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

We actually brought up the Anime Web Turnpike at the mini-gathering. Good times.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Quote from: Brian on August 15, 2011, 12:42:33 PM
Most people got in from the anime web turnpike (doesn't THAT take you back?).

Man, doesn't it? I remember that Duke Nukem/Bubblegum Crisis mod, Toybox, Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong, so many Sailormoon/Ranma crossovers, round-robin fiction. . .

Anastasia

Anipike!

Wow, that does bring back memories.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

thepanda

And for no particular reason I googled him (his site is long gone) and he has a ff.net page. Looks like he decided to archive his old stuff over there this year. The last time I checked he was at the Slayer crossover. That was part six. There are 14 parts up.

One part of me knows reading this is a bad idea. The other part, man, the other part wants to read it soooo badly.

Huh. I wonder if Megane 6.7 ever got back to writing? To the googles!

Brian

Googled who?

...not....  Not Oneshot.  You are not that much of a masochist.

...are you? ;_;

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Not gonna lie, when I first got into fanfiction I loved his stuff. It wasn't until 'Ranma' fights angels shaped like 'Ranma' that it turned into train-wreck-watching.

Brian

I forget what fic it was, but at one point, Oneshot had (one of his older, pre uber-power) fics that seemed to almost perfectly segue into a truly unexpected but surprisingly decent Hinako/Ranma matchup.

I was stunned.

And then he dropped it and the story went on, never addressing Hinako again.

Poor Hinako.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

The Least One Can Do? The one in script format? Or maybe it was Ranma's Girls, where he had twins?

Brian

I ... don't remember anymore.  I just remember that one scene, and feeling that it was pure luck on his part to have made such a great scene....

...and then he utterly failed on followthrough.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Damn my curiosity! I think I broke my nostalgia goggles. ;_;

Yuthirin

Wong was that guilty pleasure that I never told anyone about, right up until he started getting...really weird.