News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Her: My doctor wants me to start taking pills for anxiety, and I don't think I'm that stressed out! I hate filling my body with chemicals! I just have pain everywhere!
Me: So, even though your fiancee is a drunk, has kicked two of your sons out of the house, and is mean to your third, and before him your life was even shittier, plus you have three mortgages, you don't think you're stressed??
Her: IT MUST BE FIBROMIALGIA!
Me: I have now stopped caring. -_-

I work with this person.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Can't help those who don't want to be helped.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Hum.  I dated a girl that developed fibro.  Not until after we broke up, nearly a decade a go, but.

She's unable to really function these days, spending 3-4 days a week bedridden.  I think she's also developed agoraphobia as a result.  Certainly, it's all but impossible to get her out of the house, especially if she's got enough time to stress about it in advance.

The worst part about fibro is that even people who argue for it agree that it's just as easy to have the condition exist wholly in someone's head.  Is it real?  Sure.  Does any specific person have it?  Maybe.

I suspect that it's real for my friend, but I also suspect that it's not being handled the best way it really could be....  :(

Yuth, you seem to be describing the beginnings of a co-dependency spiral, and at the risk of being a total jerk, girls have tried to capture you in those before.  Backing away is the right move -- this girl is going to look for emotional support and people who agree that she deserves sympathy, but shouldn't have any responsibility for improving her own life.  At least, based on my knowledge....

To quote something a supervisor told me many, many, many years ago....

"Girls = drama."

The flipside of that, of course, was, "Try to date women, instead."  >_>;;  That's not really applicable here, but it seems really demeaning if I leave just the half of it.  (Naturally, 'boys' are no better, but there's a good point about drama and maturity across the board, here.)

Edit: Beate'd to it by Dune.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Hum, i may have forgotten to pay bills earlier this month.  Bleh.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I've become a Memetic Complete Monster, I believe.

This review:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/reviews.php?target_group=FanficRecs&target_title=The+Unraveling+of+Suzumiya+Haruhi#4676

Resulted in this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5586839/1/The_Unraveling_of_Suzumiya_Haruhi

If it's possible for a mortal to ascend to divinity, I expect I must be transforming into some horrifying tyrannical figure that haunts the fanfiction world....

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2011, 03:13:48 PM
Hum.  I dated a girl that developed fibro.  Not until after we broke up, nearly a decade a go, but.

She's unable to really function these days, spending 3-4 days a week bedridden.  I think she's also developed agoraphobia as a result.  Certainly, it's all but impossible to get her out of the house, especially if she's got enough time to stress about it in advance.

The worst part about fibro is that even people who argue for it agree that it's just as easy to have the condition exist wholly in someone's head.  Is it real?  Sure.  Does any specific person have it?  Maybe.

I suspect that it's real for my friend, but I also suspect that it's not being handled the best way it really could be....  :(

Yuth, you seem to be describing the beginnings of a co-dependency spiral, and at the risk of being a total jerk, girls have tried to capture you in those before.  Backing away is the right move -- this girl is going to look for emotional support and people who agree that she deserves sympathy, but shouldn't have any responsibility for improving her own life.  At least, based on my knowledge....

To quote something a supervisor told me many, many, many years ago....

"Girls = drama."

The flipside of that, of course, was, "Try to date women, instead."  >_>;;  That's not really applicable here, but it seems really demeaning if I leave just the half of it.  (Naturally, 'boys' are no better, but there's a good point about drama and maturity across the board, here.)

Edit: Beate'd to it by Dune.

I spent the entire day telling her that she needs to consult a physician, then heed their advice. Then I berated her for attempting to self-diagnose without a medical degree. I told her that if she did not follow a certified medical doctor's medical advice, I would not help her.

tl;dr, she takes the anti-anxiety pills in my sight, or I ignore her.

Furthermore, I have a friend in Phoenix who has fibro, she has pretty much all her life. Her life is difficult at best. I know how it goes. It also manifests in only about 2% of the population, and when it does, the treatment for fibro is either antidepressants, exercise, painkillers, or some combination thereof. And Fibromyalgia is kind of a garbage diagnosis anyway. There's no real proof of any actual abnormalities as of yet, only consistent pain receptors. :/
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 12, 2011, 09:16:36 PMI spent the entire day telling her that she needs to consult a physician, then heed their advice. Then I berated her for attempting to self-diagnose without a medical degree. I told her that if she did not follow a certified medical doctor's medical advice, I would not help her.

...maybe I'm hypersensitive to this, but I'm seeing signs she's still trying to build a co-dependent relationship, here -- or is otherwise trying to drag you into that.

Effectively ... she's in a place where she's comfortable, because she can pretend events are outside of her control.  She will engineer events 'going outside of her control' in an attempt to make you (or anyone else nearby) take the responsibility she's trying to avoid.

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 12, 2011, 09:16:36 PMtl;dr, she takes the anti-anxiety pills in my sight, or I ignore her.

I must encourage more of this sentiment.  What you really need do to is tell her that you aren't interested in helping her until she's got an interest in helping herself -- and at that point, she's still got something to put into it.  Otherwise, the only person she can blame for her situation is her (a fact she will not appreciate).

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Still sounds co-dependent.  Helpful, but yes.

hum, I need to go see the eye doctor.  And get my oil changed.  Bah chores.

Anyhow, today was 'bills aren't paid, and are days overdue' panic.  This is resolved thankfully, but argh.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I do not get to run a game after all.

Seriously.

I find a successful formula, and everyone just dismisses it because 'It's just a dungeon crawl'.  Bah.  BAH.

"I only want to roleplay."

I don't respond with, "REALLY!?!?  Because I've played with you for over a decade and never seen it!"

Cuuuuuuuurses.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

The joys of DMing strike again!

Sorry man.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Comcast will not sell me internet service.  Someone else rented my apartment and didn't bother to cancel his account, so they won't let me get service there.

Edit: internet signup failed.  Three phone calls, demands to speak with supervisors, and they finally tell me I have to go into the office.

I kind of feel sorry for the rep I'll be talking to, as I'm starting my introduction off with, "Unfortunately, this is my fifth attempt to get your company to take money from me.  I've had a nightmarish experience with your customer service department so far, so proceed with confidence that you will have to put effort into it to disappoint me further."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

They have an office?

I have trouble believing that.  Wouldn't it involve human beings?
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I'm there right now.

Time spent talking to rep: 5 minutes.

Time spent watching rep click things on his PC: 25 minutes.

I don't think he even noticed me whipping out the iPad and mobile hotspot.

~exploding tag~

Merc

QuoteUnfortunately, this is my fifth attempt to get your company to take money from me.
This is really, really, REALLY sad.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

It took me 3 attempts and a bit over an hour.  And I owned the property.

Comcast's service model is failure.
Well, Goodbye.