News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Heh, I drive past that intersection 3-4 times a week, and it really is terrible.  I understand with two hospitals there they need to cross frequently, but it's a short light stop for folks coming out of the last intersection, and somewhat of a bother to stop at anyway.  Walking across when the light is green is practically asking to get smashed into by a car coming in from the faster speed street right nearby.

I really don't get the occassional pedestrian chicken games.  "Dude, there's a green light.  You're not really going to bike across 4 lanes during this just because their emp...You are.  Okay, you'll surely stop at the divider as MY car is barrelling straight down it's lane and will be intersecting your direction because I have the right of way with a green light.  Really?  Really you're going to play chicken on a bike with a car?  What the fuck is wrong with you people?"
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I actually go out of my way to avoid that street now.  It's just stupid.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Bought Phantasy Star Portable so I can play with friends only to find out they're playing PSP2.

So, ok. I'm able to return the game but none of the stores within a hundred mile radius of me have the game.

But! I remember it's on sale in the PSN store! So I get a $20 playstation card, put it on my account, and find out they stopped selling the game altogether 10 days ago.

. . . Maybe I should just buy Y's and call it a day. -_-

Carthrat

I don't actually have any space I can use as a robot construction workshop, so my grand plans will be curtailed.

This is going to be a priority when I start looking for a place in January.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Jon

A while back I sent copies of Bridge of Birds to some people free of charge, the only requirement being that they read and review it. I've yet to see a single review from this.

(I admit, I probably should have specified a window within which I was hoping to see the reviews.)

thepanda

My copy is in Forest City, Arkansas. I don't have time to drive out there at the moment (been doing 10-12 hour work days since around thanksgiving). But I haven't forgotten about the review! I just need to finish reading it first.

Yuthirin

I slept poorly Monday night. I slept poorly last night. I'll probably sleep poorly tonight. Dammit.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Had to leave work early because the smells coming from the final stages of construction in the lab directly behind my desk were overwhelming me.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

~exploding tag~

Jon

Wheee. (Also, EarthScorpion is a cock.)

Muphrid

Yeah, the tvtropes hate over there strikes me as really disproportionate.  Beyond that, I'd thought what they were doing with this organized review thing would be good, but considering the main reviewer (that havocfett) isn't a writer himself, I think I see the problem:  he doesn't understand the difference between what doesn't appeal to him as a reader and what can't appeal to anyone.

In short, it seems like he has the attitude that anything he's going to read will be crap, that what he reviews will be intrinsically flawed (which is why he couldn't Kyon and Haruhi's unusual interaction as indicative of something deliberate instead of a mistake).  And hating on tvtropes just because some authors rely on tropes too much is, well, silly.  tvtropes isn't telling anyone how to write.

Guess I won't be submitting my next Eva piece for review over there.

Edit:  and what was the guy thinking, sending an e-mail out of the blue to trash the story?  Man, angry much?

Brian

Yeah, it's pretty clear now they were just trying to troll me/use me as a scapegoat.

Here's the header of his personal e-mail:

Quote from: some jerk even more arrogant than Brian:I apologize in advance for the shitty formatting and color display, I crossposted this from a forum you don't visited, and am a bit busy vomiting to bother editing it or softening the blows found within. Some of the things said are as a result of debates over tvtropes and that regard forum politics. As a result, this review is not going to be nice, it is not going to be polite. It is written by someone who was told you wrote very, very, well and was gravely disappointed. I've read the first several chapters, and will be emailing them to you, and I pray that you improve with time and this advice.

Any advice really, I aint picky.

My critical piece of advice for this work? TVTropes is a fun thing to use on the side, it can help you find neat and interesting works and scope out what they might be like to watch, read or hit with a stick (twilight). It is not, under any circumstances to be used as a serious writing tool.

Standard Havocfett Review Disclaimer.

OK, I'm horribly sick and high on painkillers. I mean, really high on painkillers. I'm delirious? Fuck you, deal.

Quote from: Jon on December 24, 2011, 07:44:32 PM
Wheee. (Also, EarthScorpion is [an unlikable fellow].)
This I have heard frequently.  If you and Huitzil agree on an issue, it absolutely must be true.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

I hear not-good things about spacebattles of late.  But I don't really go there.
Well, Goodbye.