News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyMage

He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Music-chan

Quote from: CyMage on February 10, 2012, 02:29:37 PM
Moving sucks...
OH GOD THERE'S NOT ENOUGH TIME! *runs around in circles*
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Arakawa

On the bright side, moving from one location in the Golden Horseshoe to another location in the Golden Horseshoe probably doesn't suck nearly as much as moving across the continent...
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

You didn't hear?  They're moving down to the bay :P

</unfortunately not.  The gaming table is sad for this>
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Getting pulled into the black hole that is the Bay Area is a perennial hazard in tech, particularly according to the conventional definition of "success" in the field.

(Personally, I wouldn't mind a job opportunity where I can spend a year or two in the bay just to see what the fuss is about, and then have the option to get out of there after two years with minimal career disruption, but seriously, how likely is that to happen? I found one opportunity like that, but didn't quite qualify, and now am committed to a different job. C'est la vie.)

Spent a few years watching acquaintances try (and sometimes succeed) to get into Google or Apple or this or that, with the grim determination of a Jane Austen bride prepping herself for marriage. I'm getting to suspect that the whole buzz back in the day about Google's "nurturing environment" was unconsciously due to the fact that it functioned as an idealized marriage surrogate for young, unloved nerds, meh, but this is me being cynical based on too little information. It could also just be they used to have good stock options.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Music-chan

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on February 10, 2012, 04:36:40 PM
On the bright side, moving from one location in the Golden Horseshoe to another location in the Golden Horseshoe probably doesn't suck nearly as much as moving across the continent...
And it's not as bad as moving across country boarders, which we did when I moved all my stuff from the US to Canada.

It just seems very sudden, even though we knew it was coming.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Jon

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on February 10, 2012, 06:18:32 PM
It could also just be they used to have good stock options.

Instead, now we just have good stock grants. I got a grant of stock when I joined Google. Each summer, another chunk vests, and it's worth about 10% of my yearly salary.

Working at Google isn't perfect (speaking as someone with entrepreneurial tendencies, it's actually only just barely a good fit for me), but it is remarkably better than most CS job prospects.

Anastasia

My dog has a new plan. She wakes me up by nudging or licking my hand, acting like she has to go out. I stumble out and take her out, she rushes back in and past me when she's done. By the time I get back to my bed, she's curled up right in the middle and looking at me like she owns it.

Dogs.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 11, 2012, 12:14:40 AMDogs.

BusinessDog regrets your decision to discriminate against canine-kind and will file litigation on Monday.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Sinom Bre

Cats. Forever. Dogs are teh suk. :)
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Brian

Guys: "You should run a game, I'll totally join it if you do!" x10(ish)
Me: (after weeks of pressure) "Fine, alright."
*puts effort into building a game*
GuyA: "Also, if I'm playing, GuyB can't."
Me: "...okay."
*time passes testing various online dungeon map tools, building encounters, etc.*
Me: "Alright--  Ready to launch.  I put some effort into this, so who's interested?"
GuyA: "I was actually kind of wondering if you could just run a game for me."
Me: O_o  "Uh ... yeah, let's see if we can't round up more players.  Anyway--  GuyC, you're one of the people who said I should do this, do you want to play?"
GuyC: "Not really."
Me: "...."
GuyD: "Hey, join my new secret game that I'm not announcing on the board!" x2
Me: "Well, now I know why recruiting on the board isn't working. :|"
*goes out, drags potential players in from other sites trying to get game off the ground*
Me: "Well, that brings my total to two, unless I coerce a friend into joining when the game isn't their style.  I guess I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else shows up."
*A week passes; no one else is interested*
Me: "...this is really not a good use of my time."

Congratulations, Soulriders online gaming community.  You have successfully convinced me to not try again.  Table-top and in-person only; this was an incredibly embittering experience.

I resent all of the people who pressured me to start this, and then (from my PoV) snickered behind their sleeves at my failure.  The height of uncool; you could have just /kicked me from your chatroom if you didn't want me there.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

I'm not a gamer, but I'll be your friend, Brian. :)

* Sinom Bre patpats.
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Brian

I think I could use friends more than players anyway.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on February 11, 2012, 01:34:07 PMI resent all of the people who pressured me to start this, and then (from my PoV) snickered behind their sleeves at my failure.  The height of uncool; you could have just /kicked me from your chatroom if you didn't want me there.

I don't think anyone's snickering at your failure, Brian. My advice - keep trying. Rather than letting depression and unhappiness speak, hang in there. Keep on trying, no one's trying to drag you down or mock you for it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on February 11, 2012, 01:34:07 PM
I resent all of the people who pressured me to start this, and then (from my PoV) snickered behind their sleeves at my failure.  The height of uncool; you could have just /kicked me from your chatroom if you didn't want me there.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. I know that I expressed interest because I thought it was a cool idea, but there's no way I could have played with me picking up more hours at work and my Balmuria hours drying up starting this week. I'm sorry you're upset, but I really don't think that there was any malice in anyone's actions here.

I can really only speak for myself though, so I could be wrong. I'm hoping that I'm not. I'd encourage you to keep trying with it as I still think it's a cool idea and I wish I could play it. With work, Balmuria, and having to learn Pathfinder which I don't really understand yet, I just can't do it.

The fact is that I like you and I hope you stick around. I'm sorry that you're upset over this.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?