News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

Porter Airlines - Convenient Downtown-to-Downtown Travel!

Original schedule: departing 7:25 Chicago time to Toronto Island Airport.

Delayed due to bad weather: departing 8:40 to Toronto Island Airport.

Delayed due to delays: departing 9:40 to Toronto Pearson Airport (the actual huge airport on the outskirts of town).

Delayed due to crew change: now departing at 11:20pm and landing at Hamilton International Airport in fucking Hamilton, Ontario.

Colleague who recently moved from British Columbia: "Where is Hamilton anyway?"

Me: "sort of the western end of Lake Ontario. The airport itself is kind of southwest of Hamilton, above the Niagara escarpment."

Correction by a more knowledgeable local at the gate: "Hamilton airport is nowhere near fucking Hamilton."

Well, an exaggeration to some extent, but indeed, look at how far from the intended airport I'm ending up:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hamilton+Airport,+Hamilton,+ON,+Canada&daddr=Toronto+Island+Airport,+Toronto,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&ll=43.397065,-79.682465&spn=0.646604,0.918732&sll=43.441952,-79.650879&sspn=0.646125,0.918732&geocode=FW2ekgIdGGs8-yE8u22wQas6Yg%3BFXvEmQIdXYVE-yHr4SmBlprrVQ&oq=Hamilton+airport&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

In summary: Wut.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

Ah yes, our weather here has been delightful over the last day or so.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Arakawa

Wow, I never noticed there was a moving walkway in the terminal here!

Thank you, automated announcement system which says "moving walkway" every two seconds for no reason.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

"No reason" being "safety concerns".

Not that I'm saying they're valid.  Symptomatic of everything needing so many safety labels and precautions it's annoying, because above all else, we must be protected from our own incompetence.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Quote from: Brian on April 16, 2012, 01:47:54 AM
"No reason" being "safety concerns".

Not that I'm saying they're valid.  Symptomatic of everything needing so many safety labels and precautions it's annoying, because above all else, we must be protected from our own incompetence.

Let me put it this way -- once I noticed, it was only a couple of notches less annoying than the phone in the English dub of Pokemon that goes "RINGRINGRING RINGRINGRING... PHONE CALL!"

I think Chicago must somehow have a thing for pointless announcements. When on the El I heard the infamous "gambling and soliciting is prohibited on the Chicago L" announcement. Yeah... good to know.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on April 16, 2012, 03:34:00 AM
I think Chicago must somehow have a thing for pointless announcements. When on the El I heard the infamous "gambling and soliciting is prohibited on the Chicago L" announcement. Yeah... good to know.

Yeahhhh...that's...that's actually a thing. A real problem. Yeah.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on April 16, 2012, 12:57:49 AM
Wow, I never noticed there was a moving walkway in the terminal here!

Thank you, automated announcement system which says "moving walkway" every two seconds for no reason.

I think the blind might appreciate the heads-up. o_O

Brian

I am in a horrible mood today.

Starting off with the traditional e-mails about someone liking something that I wrote (that was not intended to be liked), to dealing with work ("Yeah, we know you're an engineer, but we know you worked in shipping and receiving, so could you do about seven hours of manual labor for us?") ... and g-mail.  G-mail, why?  Your new themes suck!

And then even more ME3 spoilers.  I should give myself points for getting this far....

~exploding tag~

Grahf

Quote from: Brian on April 17, 2012, 02:06:20 PM
I am in a horrible mood today.

Starting off with the traditional e-mails about someone liking something that I wrote (that was not intended to be liked),

They just missed the point, or was it something sarcastic or scathing that they just read and interpreted on the surface level?

Brian

Meh, I just found depellebar depressing.  The fact that people look at my expression of futility and depression and say they enjoyed it....

It just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. :\

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Nothing at all.

Different people, different strokes. You can't control what people like, nor can you assume that they'll look at it the same way you do.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Indeed. There are odd and odder people out there.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

My razor broke halfway through shaving my head.

Brian

Ow.  You didn't cut yourself, I hope?

~exploding tag~