News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Brian

...but tonight Daos faces our Indignation?
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Twice.  Man is he gonna wish he never got out of that coffin.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

... and more frightening than the fury of the common man is the Indignation of the Exalted.

(I don't know, Capitalized Notions make me think of White Wolf Games now for some reason.)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

Don't get me started on White Wolf. :p

In this case, Indignation is a proper noun because it's the name of a spell.  Well ... I ... think it's a proper noun.  Outside of Potter-fic and RPGs, I'm not sure how much call there is for style guides concerning spell descriptions.  But I think we're getting off topic....

~exploding tag~

Music-chan

Holy crap there are a lot of people at FanExpo.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Arakawa

Dreamt instead of going to work right now I snuck off to a waterpark. Amusingly, I could *almost* pull that off in waking life.

I just need good weather... and a waterpark with good wi-fi access so I could do some work remotely.

Oh well. I will cherish the idea as I go to work today.

EDIT: and, of course, in the hypothetical ideal waterpark there are no long lineups so I can strictly alternate between working and fun-ing.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

brian@Kuyou ~/Dropbox/Elements $ du -ch Fanfiction/ | grep total
39M     total

It turns out I really do have no life.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

I'm a little sick.  This sucks given I have a plane ride tonight.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Stupid rain is messing up my business when I really could use the money. >_<

Brian

Someone was parked in my spot in front of the house when I got back from going out with some friends this morning.  Not a big deal.  I found a spot down the street to park.

After a few hours, I noticed that the space in front of the house was free, and went to move my car.  The guy who's house I had parked in front of (who still had enough room to park behind me) said thanks when I went to move my car.

Didn't think much about it until I had moved down the street, some 30 meters to my usual spot.  When I got out, I noticed that someone had keyed my car, from the front wheel well to the trunk, three times across the entire length.

I went back to the guy who had thanked me (and moved his truck up the four meters I was blocking him) to say, "Hey, did you do that?  Did your kids do it screwing around?  My car's all scratched up now!"

And he suddenly forgot how to speak English.

There's nothing the police can do, so I haven't called.  Not really sure what to do.  Super pissed off, though.

He's an asshole, that's for sure.  What can I do?  Write a note and post it on his fence?  "If you park here and aren't the home owner, some asshole will illegally vandalize your car."?  So now my car is all fucked up (not that it looked awesome in the first place), my neighbor's got some grudge against me for _daring_ to park in front of his house on the public street, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I mean, unless I park in front of his house at every opportunity and rig the car with security cameras or something, but that's an unreal amount of time and effort.  I'm just so pissed off at the blatancy of the, "Don't speak English," defense when I know for a fact he does.  It may have been his kids instead of his, but that dodge of responsibility....

Maybe get someone to translate a letter into Spanish and just hand it over?  "You owe me 700$ to repair my car because vandalism is illegal."?

In the end I probably will do nothing but be pissed off about it, because there's nothing I can do without spending effort that will never be rewarded.  The only other option is to sink to his level, and I'm not about to do that.

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

That's very annoying. My condolences.

Arakawa

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2012, 04:21:47 AM
Someone was parked in my spot in front of the house when I got back from going out with some friends this morning.  Not a big deal.  I found a spot down the street to park.

Similar incident that I was in a while ago, more lucky in outcome but no less idiotic: we park somewhere in the vicinity of Runnymede Station. Seconds later, as we're about to leave, guy (possibly even drunk? now that I think about it; or maybe just drunk with anger) with a huge dog comes out of the house and starts screaming his head off at us about how we're blocking his driveway and he won't be able to pull his truck out of the driveway.

(All this time his dog keeps trying to go over and make friends, and he keeps taking time out from screaming his head off at us to screaming his head off at the dog, Bill Sykes style. I feel very sorry for his dog.)

We say, look, we're an entire metre from the edge of your driveway, we're not blocking it. He screams his head off some more, then says something like "I'm going to pull out of the driveway now, and I'm going smash your car up. You just watch. Don't say I didn't warn you." He pulls out of the driveway, doing his damndest to hit our car in the process, but doesn't manage to do it. He screams his head off some more, and then he and the dog drive away in supreme and utter disgust.

Now I realize it's a lucky thing Canadian politeness prevailed and he didn't come back and key the !@#$ out of the car while we were gone, or ram our car deliberately, or something.

Never seen the "don't speak English" defence here yet. That... would suck to deal with. Time to start learning Spanish?

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on September 02, 2012, 10:47:51 AMNever seen the "don't speak English" defence here yet. That... would suck to deal with. Time to start learning Spanish?

Learning better Spanish than I already have isn't my top language priority.  Giving us a (second) common language just means he has to be more obvious about being a jerk.  He won't acknowledge that it happened.

Plus, it really could have been his kids.  I'm still pissed he doesn't even have the decency to say, "That's terrible; I'll talk to my kids about it," and instead say something I can't even recognize in Spanish.  There's really nothing to be done without putting more effort into it than it's worth.

I mean, if I see someone else parking in front of his house, I'll warn them that the owner of that house is a jerk, and their car will be vandalized, but in the end, that's still the jerk winning, using criminal actions to control city property (the sidewalk).

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

How fragile and mysterious a thing is goodwill between two random people on the street.

Particularly noticeable when it disappears.

---

(from Wm. Blake)