News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Fuck, sorry to hear that. I looked into whether there was any way to preserve your spot but it seems that there is no legal priority for people to get to park outside their own homes or have others not do so. Even when not having that causes all sorts of problems.  Nothing that can be done legally.

Meh not all of my neighbors are assholes. Just enough to poison the community. Pretty sure I know which. The guy who has his kids hold up signs to the street.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

The guy across the street and south two houses, who's got the kids (don't think I've seen them with the signs) and is always doing home improvement.

Which I somehow doubt he's gotten permits for.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on September 02, 2012, 12:17:17 PM
Meh not all of my neighbors are assholes. Just enough to poison the community. Pretty sure I know which. The guy who has his kids hold up signs to the street.

Huh. What exactly does 'hold up signs to the street' mean, again?
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

Ugh.

I have three different things that I've promised to be proofreading for three different scientists, so my long weekend Sunday is going to hell. This is completely separate from and in addition to the C&C that, in an ideal world, I would like to be doing here.

I really need to learn to start saying 'no' to these odd jobs that don't enhance my life.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on September 02, 2012, 01:39:57 PM
Quote from: Dracos on September 02, 2012, 12:17:17 PM

Huh. What exactly does 'hold up signs to the street' mean, again?

It means they dangle off the side of his truck holding notices at cars.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on September 02, 2012, 01:48:46 PM
Ugh.

I have three different things that I've promised to be proofreading for three different scientists, so my long weekend Sunday is going to hell. This is completely separate from and in addition to the C&C that, in an ideal world, I would like to be doing here.

I really need to learn to start saying 'no' to these odd jobs that don't enhance my life.

Or at least get paid properly for them.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

So Sunday night we made home made meatballs for dinner. They were awesome and everyone liked them.

...Cue 24 hours later and it's the great family bathroom apocalypse '12. Fuuuuuuuuuck. The last 12 hours have been one symphony of misery and bathroom breaks.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

>_>;;

Fail Meatballs.

Anyhow, morning office construction really is @_@.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

The meatballs tasted great. I dunno what the hell went wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Undercooked, most likely, if everyone's having the same reaction.  They don't have to taste bad to cause issues.

I've decided to file a complaint against the neighbor who keyed my car just to establish precedence anyway.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

G'luck with that, Brian. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

It won't be.  The neighbor won't even know it's been done.  It's mostly to establish a precedence for insurance, and so if (when) he escalates, the police will know there's a record of that car being vandalized in front of his house.

Once he does serious damage instead of just keying it (or keys it worse -- I take pictures, now), that won't help his case either.

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

I wouldn't call it the real me now, but there's a side of me that is completely incompatible with healthy human interaction; my inner yandere. Being emotionless on my end, and having utter disregard of people's feeling on the other end, in favour of some petty personal point. I mask it very carefully, but it's still a part of me, and it slips out once in a while.

And after I've put it back in the box, I always wonder whether the damage I do in those moments is really outweighed by the hypothetical small benefit I bring people by being around them.

EDIT: on a more positive note, I write fiction and the deficiencies people spot often mirror something lacking in my own understanding. So the scathing feedback I get is useful at a more than superficial level. Though I'm reaching a point of diminishing returns there; hopefully that means I can instead worry about writing something people will enjoy, now.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Brian

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on September 10, 2012, 06:25:40 PM...Being emotionless on my end, and having utter disregard of people's feeling on the other end, in favour of some petty personal point. I mask it very carefully, but it's still a part of me, and it slips out once in a while.

I believe that's a component of everyone.  Your behavior is at most a disorder, which is just that; elements that are part of everyone, but pronounced enough in some cases as to make life difficult.  At the same time, consider the fact that OCD, the most popular disorder that people claim they have, is not actually a disorder in most people -- unless it actively interferes with their life.

Someone with NPD, for example, will only be midly (or even severely) self-centered, but if they generally can overcome it....  Or in my case, with DID.  Or a hypothetical person with SPD -- or any other disorder at all.  The point is that if you can work around it and generally function, it's more a sign of where you came from than anything else.  Does OCD prevent you from leaving the house and finding work, because you had the wrong thought when you washed your hand for the seventeenth time?  Can't stop on a non-square number of shoelace re-tying?

Then there are significant issues.  Something like that significantly impacts quality of life, and it's generally time to seek treatment (unless you're happy that way, in which case, as long as you can still function ... alright).

In your case, most likely people will think it was a mood at worst, and let it pass.  If it happens often enough, they may consider you moody.  If they're your friends, until it has a genuinely negative impact on their own lives, they probably won't really care that much.  And if they are your friends, they'll stick with you and give you more credit than it sounds like you give yourself.  ;)

TL;DR: From what I can see, it's not that bad.  While introspection is good, and reflection builds character, don't obsess about it.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Most people are terrible, but are good at hiding this terrible.  Because of this, people have little context for reflecting upon their own terrible, adapting to it, and recognizing how to deal with it.

*shrugs*
Well, Goodbye.