News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezantis

Oh noes.  What is the FFML up to these days?
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

I receive enough sensitive personal confidences from people, without volunteering much (if any) information about myself in return, that some days I wind up feeling like some kind of priest taking confession.

Why? I don't even strike myself as that trustworthy.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Rezantis

Quotewithout volunteering much (if any) information about myself in return

Which from a different perspective might be 'shutting up and listening'. :)
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Rezantis on June 27, 2013, 12:48:28 AM
Quotewithout volunteering much (if any) information about myself in return

Which from a different perspective might be 'shutting up and listening'. :)

It's probably exactly this. I've found that happening to me on occasion, and when I asked 'why me?' the response is generally, 'you're really good at listening, and just letting people talk their way through things, and have good advice.'

It's about trust-worthiness all the time. Sometimes, it's just the ability to shut up and listen. Or let people talk without showing frustration at having your time spent on their BS =p
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2013, 10:54:25 PM
I must be the only person I know who can actually just hold my breath to make hiccups go away.

I can do this!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

We must be from the same ninja clan!  Separated at birth!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on June 28, 2013, 03:37:29 PM
We must be from the same ninja clan!  Separated at birth!

We practice the ancient art of the Brofist.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Meeting about 'the company's future' from the Product Manager who long ago tried to accuse me of losing a 7,000$ drive (he had loaned it out himself).  It was basically a 40 minute long sales pitch about how we should remain positive despite the lack of raises, or any promising future leads.  In the meeting, the senior tester (my step-father) asked:

"So, we're going to be going multiple quarters without being able to ship.  What's our plan for this?  We're not looking for investors, so how is the board going to make sure we're still solvent and will be profitable after this?"

His answer:

"That's a concern.  We've learned from our mistakes, and our technology is going to be great."  And then back into the blurring sales pitch nonsense I tuned out.  A few other pertinent questions, along with a generous heap of scorn on the results of our past efforts.  "Who cares about that tech?  It's worthless.  This is what we need to focus on."

Not great.  Meeting runs long, by the time we're released for the free lunch it's all gone.  It's thai, though, so I don't view it as a loss.

Some talk between the co-workers, it turns out that the new 'manager' (not actually a manager, just has a manager title for prestige) has been pushing for one of my co-workers (the one who has a crush on me >_>;) to get fired.

An all around bad day on many fronts, confirming most of my negative suspicions about the future of the company, and losing one of the co-workers I commiserated with the most.

Also, another superior demanded a test be run on all disks that I'd been running tests on over the last two months -- guaranteeing I will not make our ship date on the product to qualify.  A different superior wants me to pore through many months of test data to make a consolidated document giving an overview of different data sets (seriously, we should have someone to do this; I need to test and pointlessly move things around the lab for the 'manager'), and....

I'm so apathetic to the situation.  I'm just padding out my resume and adding skills to it.  If I didn't already buy in on the stock options (around 30% vested) and really want to get solid years on my resume, I'd be looking for other work already.  I am so indifferent to the actual results of my work I should probably be ashamed.

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Quote from: Brian on June 28, 2013, 06:15:09 PM
I am so indifferent to the actual results of my work I should probably be ashamed.

Maybe, but when you do wind up looking for a different job, instead of "indifferent", just say you were "professional" and you can pretend to be proud of it instead. :-P

That'll be the Art of the Resume, right there.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

I spent some time in the kitchen cooking a big-ass dinner. Guess what happens just as I'm finishing? Someone comes home with pizza.

Sighfuckle.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Pizza makes good breakfast. Just toss that into the fridge and eat your dinner!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Was making cutlets and dipped a (batter-coated) finger into the oil.  Fried myself up nice and crispy. :\

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Brian

My hip flask is already leaking....

~exploding tag~