News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Then start a discussion on a fanfic you like.

Or one you hate.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Fine.

We shall help the turtle.

Everyone, get together and make a giant monocle.

This will entertain gentleman turtle for days.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on July 19, 2013, 03:48:35 PM
Fine.

We shall help the turtle.

Everyone, get together and make a giant monocle.

This will entertain gentleman turtle for days.

Huzzah!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

This week has sort of been a domino field of things just being wrong around me at work.  Kinda getting old.  I finally get the tenth piece of hardware for this week's deployment (only 1 week late~), and it's not been correctly imaged.  I could fix what I see, but that's just asking for trouble down the road :(  Meanwhile, I fix solutions that have never actually built correctly (and was missed by the developers that made them).  Again.

I assigned my flunky to get the statistic chart generation stuff going yesterday.  It's the ugliest code in the building, and I expected it would take a few days.  I did not expect that a day in it would be discovered that someone broke the statistics recording stuff a year ago, and no one had noticed so the chart generation had no possible input data.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on July 19, 2013, 07:11:16 PM
This week has sort of been a domino field of things just being wrong around me at work.  Kinda getting old.  I finally get the tenth piece of hardware for this week's deployment (only 1 week late~), and it's not been correctly imaged.  I could fix what I see, but that's just asking for trouble down the road :(  Meanwhile, I fix solutions that have never actually built correctly (and was missed by the developers that made them).  Again.

I assigned my flunky to get the statistic chart generation stuff going yesterday.  It's the ugliest code in the building, and I expected it would take a few days.  I did not expect that a day in it would be discovered that someone broke the statistics recording stuff a year ago, and no one had noticed so the chart generation had no possible input data.

That last part...sounds rather disastrous.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Steam installed?

Check.

Finally remembered login name?

Check.

Money in the bank?

Check!

Many, many games I've wanted to try for a while now at dirt-cheap prices?

Check!

. . . Running linux so can't actually play any of them?

. . . check. ;_;

Arakawa

There's nothing quite so irritating as getting a time-sensitive part-time job offer out of the blue, and then being given the runaround for a month on getting an actual face-to-face meeting and necessary information, so your time to prepare keeps shrinking and you start uncharitably concocting conspiracy theories in your head that someone (and you have no idea who) at that place wants to hire you just so they can see you fail three months in and, I don't know, heroically step in to do your job for you or something.

Oh well, at least that's (almost) over with and it doesn't affect my day job either way.

It's also a shame because there's people there I know personally, genuinely like, and want to help out, but the organization as a whole is (intentionally or unintentionally) making it very difficult for me to actually be useful.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Muphrid

Quote from: thepanda on July 19, 2013, 11:17:14 PM
Steam installed?

Check.

Finally remembered login name?

Check.

Money in the bank?

Check!

Many, many games I've wanted to try for a while now at dirt-cheap prices?

Check!

. . . Running linux so can't actually play any of them?

. . . check. ;_;

Steam on Linux isn't actually a thing yet?  Or is it just for a small subset of games?

thepanda

A very, painfully small subset of games. I think I can buy the games, burn them from a windows computer, and run them on mine through wine.

Maybe.

Possibly. 

*sighs*

alethiophile

Hard drive decided to for once and finally seize up and die. Been coming for a while, and I can probably get most of the data off it, but having to leave environment and babysit copy operations for probably three consecutive days is :|.

Brian

Lost my Blizzard authentication tool.

I'll never be able to log in to WoW again.  Oh, noes.

Actually, this means I do lose Diablo II ... so, yeah.

In hindsight, I guess I don't care that much.  If they ever finish Starcraft II, I'll probably try and fix it.

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

Hard drive dies. Not a huge deal. I have backups of almost everything, and a recovery path for what I don't (mostly lolhueg torrented stuff).

Backup drive dies in the middle of recovery.

*@%$ #$%^ @!$*.

Yuthirin

Quote from: alethiophile on July 22, 2013, 08:54:10 PM
Hard drive dies. Not a huge deal. I have backups of almost everything, and a recovery path for what I don't (mostly lolhueg torrented stuff).

Backup drive dies in the middle of recovery.

*@%$ #$%^ @!$*.

Oh that sucks.

Anastasia

Murphy's law strikes again. Sorry  man, that blows.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Quote from: alethiophile on July 22, 2013, 08:54:10 PMBackup drive dies in the middle of recovery.

Statistically, that's usually when it happens.

That's why you try and rotate drives out before MTBF, as if you don't, when a raid breaks due to one disk failing, the extra load on the other disks is exceedingly likely to make it happen to another.

Long story short: If you buy a disk and its backup at the same time, and replace neither before MTBF, you're likely to have a bad time. :\

~exploding tag~