There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

I am attempting to salvage it, but am unsure how.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

There are days you don't really salvage, per se. You survive them, suppress the memory and bury them in a mound of shit. That's one of those days.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Home internet connection is so bad it's useless for anything but IRC.  Even gmail times out half the time. :|
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Hum, dinner at work.

Some mixture of vegetables, meat, peppers under rice.  A stir fry.

Who the heck puts meat with bones still attached in a stir fry?

@_@
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

All three of the boxing fights tonight have been boring. Bleh.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Having to explain the gender-bending trope (as used e.g. in Ranma 1/2) to a straitlaced conservative Anglican professor without coming across as a pervert.

Mrg.

Edit: to make things more messed up, this was during a discussion on whether human souls (as considered separate from bodies) have gender or not. Bleh.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

So how'd you tackle it, anyway?
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on August 19, 2013, 09:06:01 PM
So how'd you tackle it, anyway?

Short answer: I didn't.

Long answer: In a roundabout manner, using classical mythology (Tiresias &such) rather than Ranma. The whole argument was whether gender is an essential (unchangeable) attribute of the soul, whether it was possible to assert as such outside of the assumptions used by Mormonism (he's a Mormon-leaning straitlaced conservative Anglican professor); he was arguing that he can't conceive of a humanoid entity lacking a definite sexuality, I brought up genderbending as an example that there are other conceivable possibilities outside the dichotomy (entity with eternally immutable gender / the amorphous genderless entity he can't imagine), he responded that the ancient Greeks were perverts and that this kind of story is not universal across cultures, and moreover Tiresias opted to become a man again when he had the opportunity, so there must have been a soul-body 'dissonance'....

The whole conversation was inconclusive, but hopefully I got across the point, at least, that 'metaphysically inconceivable' and 'kind of perverted' are two different things. If not, I'm not exactly willing to pursue a further line of argument that would probably require me to explain by way of example not only Ranma 1/2 but Ozzalos, to a Mormon-leaning straitlaced conservative Anglican professor.

I get into the oddest conversations.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure he already thinks of me as a weirdo who is capable of stimulating discussion, so that aspect of my reputation is undamaged.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on August 19, 2013, 09:24:35 PM
the ancient Greeks were perverts

I very much want to have a physical confrontation with this professor.

Dracos

The Modern Human Beings were perverts.
Well, Goodbye.

Ergoemos

Quote from: Dracos on August 20, 2013, 04:55:08 PM
The Modern Human Beings Were Perverts.

That's the name of my B-52's tribute band!
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

Yuthirin

The B-52s have enough fans to form a tribute band?

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

I saw 0.5 seconds of a man in tight white tiger-stripe pants and closed the window. I was askurrd.