News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alethiophile

She's that person who pulled a kickstarter to pay for her doing a bunch of talks about sexism, right?

What was this specific one about?

Brian

It was part two of her, "Damsels in Distress: Tropes vs. Women," video.

Which evidently is now three parts.

On the other hand, it does suggest to me that her target audience is not gamers, or even the small percentage of gamers that are female: it is people who have no basis of knowledge for video games themselves, and thus cannot recognize how she cherry picks and misrepresents things.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Linking any of them at all is basically asserting that her monstrous diatribes have any place in rational discussion of culture.  That's usually the more relevant concern over what she's saying in any specific video.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2013, 01:25:42 PM
On the other hand, it does suggest to me that her target audience is not gamers, or even the small percentage of gamers that are female: it is people who have no basis of knowledge for video games themselves, and thus cannot recognize how she cherry picks and misrepresents things.

The stuff I've seen reminds me oddly, in certain senses, of the "Harry Potter promotes Satanism" crowd. Which have a similar approach to engaging with the source material :-/
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Things not to do: Go to KFC for an early lunch/late breakfast. I feel like my stomach is a bulging bag full of grease and I didn't even have much.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Was not actually needed for jury duty.  Won't be eligible for another six months.

Sadness.  I was really interested in seeing how it worked. :\

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

I got called for jury duty at the beginning of this summer. Called their robot-number, turned out I wasn't on the list. Oh well.

It would be interesting to do.

Brian

Losing more good people at work.  Manager continues to be incompetent.

Not sure what to do, since I haven't even heard hints of replacing the bad/corrupt folk who are destroying engineering.

Ugh.  I don't want to hunt for another job....

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Too much of my day lately involves lines of people following me around for a few seconds of my attention.

At least one of them was easy. 
"Yeah, so we'd rather that new server not go live today at Reasonable Hour in the Afternoon.  How about SuperLate?  or better yet, Sunday!"
"Fuck you.  I'm not working Sunday to change out a DB server.  Server swap starts in 1 hour."
Well, Goodbye.

Ranma_007

Grieving for a loss. It sucks. :(

Anastasia

Condolences, 007. Hang in there.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

They're killing off Winamp. Son of a bitch.
<Afina> Forever.

KLSymph

Nooooooo!  The only music program I've ever tried that wasn't slow, bloated, and/or adware-driven!

*hugs his Winamp Classic*

Brian

Someone racked a 4U server holding 36 HDDs (net weight: 50kilos) with the box-mounted rails reversed, which caused one of the rails to pop out when it was extended to have a new card installed.  It almost fell, but the tech doing the work managed to wrestle it back in.

We don't know who originally racked it, because it was some time ago, but basically, I now have to pull every unit out of around 20 racks and verify that the rails are installed correctly ... and since almost all of them are powered on and in use, that's probably going to by my entire thanksgiving vacation, since that's the nearest planned lab shutdown.

Also, heating/AC will be off while I'm doing it ... alone.

I feel remarkably sanguine about this.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on November 22, 2013, 02:23:07 PMI feel remarkably sanguine about this.

Speaking of blood, what part of California do you live in?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?