News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Ew. Scary stuff, 'specially since I use a similar program.

By the way, why'd you change your name to just Arakawa?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ranma_007

Getting into it with my neighbors. We are putting up a fence on our side of the property line. They want us to push it back 6-12 inches so they can get in on their side. Heck no. We have every right to put it on our property, on the property line. That's where fences go. It hurts resale value and basically if it's 50 bucks a square foot, we would be asked to give up thousands of dollars of property. No. Just no. So we had that discussion and we said no.

Sorry neighbors, you don't have a leg to stand on. The fence goes up.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on August 11, 2014, 12:25:05 AM
Ew. Scary stuff, 'specially since I use a similar program.

It makes me sad to drop the use a password manager, since the whole purpose of having it is so that I can wipe my cache whenever I close the browser, while only having one click to manually re-log-in to all of my accounts afterwards.

Quote from: Anastasia on August 11, 2014, 12:25:05 AM
By the way, why'd you change your name to just Arakawa?

I decided a while ago that imposing the lastname-firstname ordering scheme in English is actually kind of obnoxious (I used it to great annoyingness in my first fanfic), but only realized just now I could simply change my display name. I could have done firstname-lastname, but everyone else here uses a short name, and there are no other Arakawas around for me to be confused with, so *shrug*.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Quote from: Ranma_007 on August 11, 2014, 12:46:11 PM
Getting into it with my neighbors. We are putting up a fence on our side of the property line. They want us to push it back 6-12 inches so they can get in on their side. Heck no. We have every right to put it on our property, on the property line. That's where fences go. It hurts resale value and basically if it's 50 bucks a square foot, we would be asked to give up thousands of dollars of property. No. Just no. So we had that discussion and we said no.

Sorry neighbors, you don't have a leg to stand on. The fence goes up.

Fair enough. But what exactly do you mean by 'so they can get in on their side'? Like they want a gate there or a gap or something?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa on August 11, 2014, 01:44:19 PMIt makes me sad to drop the use a password manager, since the whole purpose of having it is so that I can wipe my cache whenever I close the browser, while only having one click to manually re-log-in to all of my accounts afterwards.

You could try a different program instead? I've had good results with LastPass.

QuoteI decided a while ago that imposing the lastname-firstname ordering scheme in English is actually kind of obnoxious (I used it to great annoyingness in my first fanfic), but only realized just now I could simply change my display name. I could have done firstname-lastname, but everyone else here uses a short name, and there are no other Arakawas around for me to be confused with, so *shrug*.

It sort of is, if only because it's obviously foreign. I don't think it's indefensible if the situation would make it appropriate, and I don't think your name was ever obnoxious, but yeah.
<Afina> Forever.

Rukatin

I did not get the job. I am depressed.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on August 11, 2014, 01:47:18 PM
It sort of is, if only because it's obviously foreign. I don't think it's indefensible if the situation would make it appropriate, and I don't think your name was ever obnoxious, but yeah.

Yeah, it was more defensible as a nickname. It's blatantly obnoxious within a fic text, being just another form of Gratuitous Japanese. It's one thing to import Japanese for cultural realities like 'sensei'/'sempai' type honorifics that are cumbersome to render in pure English, another to import Japanese ordering for a concept (first & last names) that has an exact analogue in English and corresponding rules people expect to be followed.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Quote from: Rukatin on August 11, 2014, 08:16:56 PM
I did not get the job. I am depressed.

Sad but not uncommon. If 10 people apply to a job, 9 people get let down. Hang in there and try not to let it get to you.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa on August 11, 2014, 08:33:42 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on August 11, 2014, 01:47:18 PM

Yeah, it was more defensible as a nickname. It's blatantly obnoxious within a fic text, being just another form of Gratuitous Japanese. It's one thing to import Japanese for cultural realities like 'sensei'/'sempai' type honorifics that are cumbersome to render in pure English, another to import Japanese ordering for a concept (first & last names) that has an exact analogue in English and corresponding rules people expect to be followed.

Fair enough. I'm okay with it in a fic if it's consistent and makes sense within the confines of it. Like if the eastern style name order has an impact on the fic or otherwise has merit. I recall some fic or another ages ago that it actually mattered in.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on August 11, 2014, 09:18:57 PM
Robin Williams is dead. :(

What a miserable, miserable bit of news.

A senseless, miserable tragedy.
<Afina> Forever.

DY

Quote from: Anastasia on August 11, 2014, 09:25:02 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on August 11, 2014, 09:18:57 PM
Robin Williams is dead. :(

What a miserable, miserable bit of news.

A senseless, miserable tragedy.

Terrible, really can't believe it.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Anastasia

Quote from: DY on August 11, 2014, 11:20:19 PMTerrible, really can't believe it.

Neither can I. It's one thing if he just died of natural causes. This is so pointless. He's a beloved man who could go to virtually any movie fan on the street and get heaps of praise. A bit of an effort could get him as much help as he could ever need.

Sigh.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

I only just now realize Jennifer Diane Reitz is one of the main authors of those weirdly preachy Conversion Bureau fics that are infamous among people who read pony fanfiction.

That... explains a lot.

(Unicorn Jelly is still pretty cool.)

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

Quote from: Arakawa on August 13, 2014, 04:45:30 PM
I only just now realize Jennifer Diane Reitz is one of the main authors of those weirdly preachy Conversion Bureau fics that are infamous among people who read pony fanfiction.

That... explains a lot.

(Unicorn Jelly is still pretty cool.)
I can't explain how happy it makes me that I have no idea what that means.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?