News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

You should, perhaps, see a doctor for that.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Earthquakes are silly, and get lots of panic about them, even when they're far away.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on August 25, 2014, 12:07:49 AM
Earthquakes are silly, and get lots of panic about them, even when they're far away.

Yeah, I thought about doing a post asking 'are all Bay Area folks all right'? Then I thought about it and realized that, from what I knew, the Bay Area SR folks were nowhere near Napa valley.

The weirdest part was reading news stories trying to up the injury total, by counting how many folks injured themselves being careless cleaning up broken glass afterwards.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

People who say men and women cannot, or shouldn't try to be friends, tick me off.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Kaldrak

Quote from: Arakawa on August 28, 2014, 01:39:13 PM
People who say men and women cannot, or shouldn't try to be friends, tick me off.

What a strange sentiment. Is their reasoning along the lines that we can't be friends without wanting to sleep with one another? Cause I always figured that was an issue of self control.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Arakawa

Quote from: Kaldrak on August 29, 2014, 04:24:44 PM
What a strange sentiment. Is their reasoning along the lines that we can't be friends without wanting to sleep with one another? Cause I always figured that was an issue of self control.

More or less. Thus far I have encountered this kind of sentiment in Catholic, Mormon, and jackass* flavours.

(* Warning: not kidding about the jackass-ness.)

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Ginrai

Fear of flying really sucks :(

(Message sent from within a Jet Blue plane about to lift off)

Rukatin

Quote from: Ginrai on August 29, 2014, 08:45:17 PM
Fear of flying really sucks :(

(Message sent from within a Jet Blue plane about to lift off)

Nah, it's not the flying, it's the landings and takeoffs the get you.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

Quote from: Arakawa on August 29, 2014, 07:13:19 PMMore or less. Thus far I have encountered this kind of sentiment in Catholic, Mormon, and jackass* flavours.

(* Warning: not kidding about the jackass-ness.)

Wow...where do I even begin with this?

From the religious perspective, it seems to be all about avoiding the sin of lust...or maybe making statements about the general decline of society...or something along those lines. Regardless, the first two articles and the comments on them were very interesting to read.

The third article is nothing more than a horrible ball of misogyny and it links to one that's even worse. You definitely weren't kidding and it's no wonder these people tick you off.

Basically, what it looks like to me is that these people don't really understand what being someone's 'friend' actually is. You don't become friends with someone just for your own benefit. You become someone's friend because you like them and want to spend time with them. Hopefully the arrangement is mutually beneficial and it isn't all 'take' 'take' 'take'. People like that don't make good friends, regardless as to whether or not there are any sexual undertones to the relationship.

It's about companionship. Having someone to talk to and hang out with. Someone to share your hopes and dreams and time with. Reducing and limiting this possibility between the sexes to only 'I wanna bang that person or not' feels dehumanizing and does not account for the more complicated reality that we exist in.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Anastasia

Stressed out from my job. It's making it hard as hell to do anything in my free time, plus it's murdering my creativity.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

School starts Tuesday. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Carthrat

If you mean high school, haw-haw.

If you mean college, I'm terribly jealous.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Quote from: Carthrat on September 01, 2014, 12:15:54 AM
If you mean high school, haw-haw.

If you mean college, I'm terribly jealous.

I daresay that you enjoyed your college years more than your high school years.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sometimes you're waiting for a sign...and waiting...and waiting.

Waiting can be such a trial.
<Afina> Forever.