News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukatin

Getting called into work to cover for a sick friend that turns my four-hour shift into an eight hour one. Oh well, I get paid more and 8-hour shifts means I get free food.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

I hate call-ins with a passion. I understand they happen sometimes through no-one's fault, but they always mess with my head a lot. If I have a day off, losing it to a call in sours my mood for days afterwards.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

I get there's history for the reason why things are they way they are in unix derivatives...

But I can't help but shake my head when things remain "update-rc.d" or "init.d" (I get it, it's for daemon, but really, is initDaemon just too long?).  It's like on one side you see a lot of fancy tech advancements and on other sides you see things like "It's not 1976 anymore, we can use more than 5 characters to describe a relevant part of our operating system."
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

My head hurts.

Also I feel vengeful against Xcode.  I know people that work on xcode, and yet I feel vengeful against it.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I woke up achy and tired. I hate when I sleep poorly.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Mac's version of Visual Studio.

These people built an exporter into their source control.  I work with madmen.
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

what are *you* doing with xcode
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

I work at a crappy mac house these days?  They lured me with piles of money.  It was a trap.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Rukatin

At work our system crashed and when we got it back up, we apparently couldn't reconnect to the internet. So we couldn't take credit cards.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

Quote from: Arakawa on April 15, 2015, 01:10:54 AM
Just heard about this apparent scumbaggery:
http://www.chez-vrolet.net/pipermail/ffml/2015-April/004537.html

Grawr.

I'm...not sure I can file a DMCA on behalf of a dead person, but that is really beyond lame.

Brian released his works under Creative Commons Share Alike following his death.  I don't believe that invalidates people doing this?
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Legal or not, it's in poor taste. Bad form all the way.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on April 15, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
Brian released his works under Creative Commons Share Alike following his death.  I don't believe that invalidates people doing this?

I believe Sharealike is just a copyleft license, like GPL? Yeah, you can even sell copyleft stuff, as long as it stays copyleft (i.e. the person you sell it to can then give it away, which sort of nullifies the point -- unless you're bundling it with some service like a Red Hat Linux support contract). No, I'm not going to buy the thing to see if the ebook scraping scumbags kept the license on, given that their actual revenue source is probably from harvesting credit card numbers.

This does not apply, of course, to the vast majority of non-Creative Commons Share Alike stuff that they've scraped, including apparently the friggin' Harry Potter books. I guess fanfic authors are considered too small to sue, while Harry Potter is too huge to care.

I did find this neat blog of stuff, including (more recent posts) people trying to figure out if they can get them de-hosted by complaining to their ISP who presumably does not condone piracy:

http://www.isfanficlegal.com/post/116301992754/weve-been-getting-pings-and-s-all-morning-about

Not much to do beyond that except spread word that these be scumbags. It's still irritating as to the state of the world.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Quote from: Arakawa on April 15, 2015, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: Dracos on April 15, 2015, 12:35:21 PM

I believe Sharealike is just a copyleft license, like GPL? Yeah, you can even sell copyleft stuff, as long as it stays copyleft (i.e. the person you sell it to can then give it away, which sort of nullifies the point -- unless you're bundling it with some service like a Red Hat Linux support contract). No, I'm not going to buy the thing to see if the ebook scraping scumbags kept the license on, given that their actual revenue source is probably from harvesting credit card numbers.

This does not apply, of course, to the vast majority of non-Creative Commons Share Alike stuff that they've scraped, including apparently the friggin' Harry Potter books. I guess fanfic authors are considered too small to sue, while Harry Potter is too huge to care.

I did find this neat blog of stuff, including (more recent posts) people trying to figure out if they can get them de-hosted by complaining to their ISP who presumably does not condone piracy:

http://www.isfanficlegal.com/post/116301992754/weve-been-getting-pings-and-s-all-morning-about

Not much to do beyond that except spread word that these be scumbags. It's still irritating as to the state of the world.

Yeah, that was my read.  It smells like a fly by night credit card harvesting and advertising revenue scam.  Using a bunch of shell companies to hide it and a lot of generic content to lure people in.
Well, Goodbye.