News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukatin

My numenera group recently started a new campaign, again. One of the people in our group named Justin wanted to try being a GM and my brother wanted to a Pc for once so they switched places. The first attempt at the campaign he set up was a failure for a bunch of reasons. First, My brother was eager and created a complex character that turned out to be abrasive to everyone, so our party dynamic was thrown off so all we did was bicker. Second, the last session of that campaign ended with us stuck in an infinite labyrinth. He admitted that he didn't know what to do next because thing were so open ended and we didn't have a focused goal besides 'get out', so we started over. new characters, new setting.

Now Justin has done thing differently. First session was great, But halfway through the second we all started to notice he was trying to railroad us a little bit. Now for the setting, we were in this big coastal theater city. My brother was a necromancer P.I., I was a an ex-secret police, another was a bounty hunter, a thief, and an explorer. So I was totally ready for some type of big murder-mystery conspiracy type thing. Now all of a sudden the city is in martial law and there's a corrput government. Now it's all set of for a rebellion, which all of our character are not inclined towards.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

To be fair:
Good GMing is hard.  Most don't quite recognize this (They see the hard being coming up with a story or characters or prep, which is just the basics really).  Might be good to talk with him on setting expectations before character creation (which is the best time to handle rail-roading by making sure the players know at least the initial type of campaign you're hoping to run so they can make characters that'll have fun with that).
Well, Goodbye.

DY

My pc mic cable broke today, apparently the company I brought it from doesn't sell the cable separately so unless I buy a new headset I'm out of luck currently. >_<
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on April 17, 2015, 10:25:06 AM
To be fair:
Good GMing is hard.  Most don't quite recognize this (They see the hard being coming up with a story or characters or prep, which is just the basics really).  Might be good to talk with him on setting expectations before character creation (which is the best time to handle rail-roading by making sure the players know at least the initial type of campaign you're hoping to run so they can make characters that'll have fun with that).

I want to second that. DMing is hard and takes time to master. Sure, you run into the occasional natural, but most people have some false starts before they really get it. The best thing you can do is communicate honestly and without rancor, so that he can (hopefully) learn from his mistakes.

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

I hurt myself not once, but twice at work today. The cut on my finger is nothing compared to the burn on my arm.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

Ow, ow, ow, ow. How bad is the burn?
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

Man, burns suck. Hope it wasn't too bad.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Rukatin

Just a bad first degree. I was lucky to just not drop the pan. But it was a horrible spot of luck too, the oven mitts we have extend down the forearms. i got caught right by my elbow.

The burn actually reminds me of a really bad sunburn I got canoeing once. Pro tip, don't forget to put suntan on your knees and thighs.

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

Ow to both of those. The latter brings back some unpleasant memories, since I burn if the sun looks at me funny.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Yesterday, my phone decided to lock on me.  I use the android fingerprint locker and it decided there'd been too many failed attempts.

So it disabled fingerprint unlocking.  Fine, I'll use the alternate password.  Nope, not taking.

Fine, I google about, I'll use the android device manager override, because that knows I am me, can identify (and download itself) the device, and hey, it supports password override.  Nope, it's broken with the fingerprint scanner, and instead locks it twice.  Once with the fingerprint scanner asking for a password it won't take and once with the android device manager not allowing me to enter any password at all.

Now the part that makes me really really angry.

I google around, it says go to carrier store and they can unlock.  Sounds unlikely, so I call carrier support first, explain the issue...and they confirm loudly they can help, I just need to drive to the store.  Wow, didn't expect that.  Okay will hold off on wipe and do that.

Drive to the store, Nope they lied, they can't help me at all, but samsung support can!

Nope, they can't help me, but other division of samsung support can!

Nope, they can't help, but carrier support can... Fuck that.  Hard. @_@

Wiped phone.  Discovered I had phenomenial photo backups.

And negligable phone contact backups.  Will try and be recreating my phone list now.  :(
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

This makes me glad I don't have a cell phone.

That really blows, though. But if I may ask, why would you need a fingerprint authentication in the first place? Isn't that overkill for personal security?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

It is, but it was built in and supported and offered as one of the default options.  I figured: Fine, I'm doing more interaction with business things, might be a good idea.

Didn't expect it to break down on me.
Well, Goodbye.

Bezzerker

I wouldn't be able to use the fingerprint authentication, as I have a skin condition that results in me losing my fingerprints for a little while. Would make that extremely irritating for me to use.
Unleash the elements of order and chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

Anastasia

Quote from: Bezzerker on April 22, 2015, 02:18:40 PM
I wouldn't be able to use the fingerprint authentication, as I have a skin condition that results in me losing my fingerprints for a little while. Would make that extremely irritating for me to use.

Really? What sort of condition is it?

I'm not doubting you, just curious.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

He works for the Men in Black. He has to repeatedly submit himself to that doohickey that wipes fingerprints.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.