News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

I had many learning experiences this year, few of them pleasant.

I knew in advance that Grad School would take up a lot of my time, but I just had to go and attempt Grad School and Romance at the same time. That did not end pleasantly, and took up a lot of time that could have been spent more productively on fanfiction.

Romance is on hold for the foreseeable future.

Grad School is still happening, as all the difficulties I've encountered so far are ones that I foresaw, and am better equipped to handle than other incoming students with less experience. They mostly revolve around the fact that a supervisor (in CS, unlike -- say -- physics, there are no multi-thousand-dollar pricetags attached to deciding to try something new and crazy) has very little formal say over what the students will do, so in practice they use psychological tactics to motivate them in the 'correct' direction. Philip Guo's The PhD Grind gives some idea.

TAing was also fun. The system of using overworked researchers who mostly care about publications for teaching critical introductory courses is pretty broken and I got to be a part of that problem :-P.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

I now know what acute exhaustion feels like.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Rukatin

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 04, 2016, 01:04:22 PM
I now know what acute exhaustion feels like.
Care to share with the class?
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Yuthirin

It feels unpleasantly like being drunk.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Rukatin

No I meant how. I've gotten to that point through a combination of summer camp, sleepless nights and having to walk everywhere.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"You enslave minds!"

Yuthirin

Oh. Inability to sleep for a week straight + 'mandatory' overtime + mega stress.

Anastasia

Fell asleep super early, slept for 4-5 hours and now I'm up. It's 6 30 AM and I'm seeing the sun rise. Fuck.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

At least watching the sun rise is pretty awesome no?

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

Not really, I have eye problems that make dark+light difficult for me.
<Afina> Forever.

Rukatin

"You enslave minds!"

Rukatin

Well Turkey is exploding in half.

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

Looks like the coup's failed or at least lost most of its steam.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Sheesh, o_O  Glad I'm not over there at the moment.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

I was completely useless all weekend, watching the world go to hell. Today will be better.

Merc

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 18, 2016, 02:35:49 PM
I was completely useless all weekend, watching the world go to hell. Today will be better.
Nope. Today was not better.

For me, anyway.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.