News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on February 25, 2017, 05:12:47 PM
My work life balance has been kinda crap lately.  Also, contractors are fucking pushy.  Seriously, "if you don't accept us for the job this second, we will never accept your job" "Alright, goodbye."

They cold call, they bitch when they're over here, they suggest tearing out my entire back wall and replacing the entire deck area (Because that won't be much more expensive), and then do a 'hey we'll send a designer over, but only if you sign with us right now'.  Fuckers.

Also hate writing reviews.  I suck at it.

Ahaha, contractors. They are satan.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Kaldrak

Quote from: Dracos on February 25, 2017, 05:12:47 PMAlso hate writing reviews.  I suck at it.

I really like your reviews.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Merc

Write your reviews of people ECB style, Drac. What could go wrong?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Merc on February 26, 2017, 11:19:28 AM
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 25, 2017, 07:01:24 PM
My work life balance has been kinda crap lately.  Also, contractors are fucking pushy.  Seriously, "if you don't accept us for the job this second, we will never accept your job" "Alright, goodbye."

They cold call, they bitch when they're over here, they suggest tearing out my entire back wall and replacing the entire deck area (Because that won't be much more expensive), and then do a 'hey we'll send a designer over, but only if you sign with us right now'.  Fuckers.

Also almost every one of them decides at some point to repeatedly ask what I do in order to make shitty analogies and indicate 'they know construction' and so I should trust them to handle the details.  Of course they do, if they didn't why would I be wasting time even talking with them?  That doesn't mean I don't want to know what the details are.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on February 27, 2017, 06:54:53 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 25, 2017, 07:01:24 PM

Also almost every one of them decides at some point to repeatedly ask what I do in order to make shitty analogies and indicate 'they know construction' and so I should trust them to handle the details.  Of course they do, if they didn't why would I be wasting time even talking with them?  That doesn't mean I don't want to know what the details are.

They also want to know how much money you can make so they can inflate prices. This is a known thing that I deal with every day.

Dracos

Yeah, saying 'my budget is this' still results in people repeatedly going 'ah, don't worry about that.  It'll be (Number less than budget)... (number closer) (budget) (above budget)..."

Or variations on casually talking about numbers above my budget.  I presume its an assumption that since I'm a programmer, my budget is fake, and I have magically have tremendous amounts of money to show up.

Or that as soon as they speak well above my budget without a "This project won't work, because it will cost this much" included, I stop listening and want to show them the door :(
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 27, 2017, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: Merc on February 26, 2017, 11:19:28 AM

I almost did this to a doc writer today.  I probably need to chill out.

And toss that guy through a wall.

Maybe a bit of both!

Man today sucked.  Another engineer had been making 'improvements' to the git hooks which had introduced subtle issues throughout the whole workforce over the last couple of weeks since his last one.  Last night they got to the point that they were taking down all of production.    I was kinda exhausted, so after staying a bit late getting tech ops in front of things, I headed out... to find this morning that they decided the hooks were the problem.  Alright, that's our area...  I look at it... and fiddle, and suddenly it's way faster.  So put it in.  Yay.  Then there's more issues.  Over the day the script sped up around 1000ish times from sometimes going tens of minutes to .3 seconds.  The original culprit (who doesn't report to me so I have to have someone else smack him) was on vacation the whole week of course.

Where the stupid thing had been the last time I looked at it.  So much for taking care of the work I needed to today...oh wait, had to make sure that happened too ...Naw, just kidding.  Instead I had a sudden release have to get built and ready to go out because a bug was in our current testing one and our business partner needed to see a demo.  On friday.  "Yes, wednesday afternoon is plenty of notice you fucktards."

Half my team is on vacation.  A major conference is going on in town.  Of course people are excessively troublesome now.

So yeah, chill out :)
Well, Goodbye.

Ranma_007

You should smite them ECB-style! Professionally, of course.

DY

Welp, I think my nexus 5x is bricked. It froze, restarted, and kept restarting. I can't get past the google logo =/
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Yuthirin

Quote from: DY on March 06, 2017, 04:21:08 PM
Welp, I think my nexus 5x is bricked. It froze, restarted, and kept restarting. I can't get past the google logo =/
Sucks. My brother's Nexus did that. It also overheated constantly.

DY

I'm hoping I can somehow fix it but it's not looking too likely. Time to place a call to google customer service I think.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Ranma_007

DY

Yea, tried all the possible solutions. I could get into the recovery menu a few times to do a cache wipe and then a factory reset but still no dice. Now I can't even get into the recovery menu. I talked to customer service a couple days ago and they're sending me a new phone even though I'm out of the warranty period by a few months, which I really appreciate.

Dracos

Bleh interviewing folks that don't really cut it. 

*still needs to hire a couple more people.  His PM is already booking out 2018 on the current rate of work for the team*
Well, Goodbye.