Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Double ouch. Cars, the money pit.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

It so fucking frustrating too.  I don't want to rely on my parents to give me rides to work on constantly borrow their cars. I was even starting to look at schools so I could get a better paying job than the one I have.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

Woke up in screaming pain from sleeping on my lower back wrong. Again. I need a new mattress.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Jason_Miao on April 15, 2017, 12:19:06 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on April 14, 2017, 07:44:51 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTRESS
I think about you as a person, writing this, and feel a great deal of sympathy for you.
I think about your avatar saying this, and think it's freaking hilarious.

I'm so conflicted.
Legit made me laugh, thanks Jason.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 22, 2017, 07:08:06 AM
Woke up in screaming pain from sleeping on my lower back wrong. Again. I need a new mattress.
Uhhhhhhhh did it feel like you were being stabbed? Like right in the small of your back, offset from your spine? Cuz if so, that's a kidney stone dude. Especially if it won't go away.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 22, 2017, 06:25:07 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 22, 2017, 07:08:06 AM
Uhhhhhhhh did it feel like you were being stabbed? Like right in the small of your back, offset from your spine? Cuz if so, that's a kidney stone dude. Especially if it won't go away.

That, or there's a pea underneath the mattress.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Nah, it's not that. One aspect of my pain problems is that sometimes part of my body just goes crazy. It's more muscular than anything else. Like back around Election Day, one my hamstrings went bad for a few weeks. Getting up was absolute agony, though it wasn't so bad once I loosened it up.  In this case it's a mix of my bed being bad hitting one of those flare ups on my side.
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

First major step towards ultimately losing my health insurance got voted through today.

Think I'm going to go lay down.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Aand my graduate school research experience will end this September. Time to climb out of the radioactive ashes of academic pipe dreams and find a job and social life.

*trepidation*

It's not that the past two years have been bad, on paper, but somehow they have managed to be far more painful than the prior four years.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Didn't work out? Tough break man, but at least you have a degree and a career lined up. (I hope.)
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Degree yes, career lined up is half-and-half. I'll definitely find some job, question is -- will I find a better job than what I had before, or was the two years spent on this just a pointless detour? I did learn useful stuff by-the-by and expand my horizons about cloud computing issues, which would have significantly increased the range of things I could have done at Previous Workplace (turning it into a much much better job for me). Previous Workplace was not at all a bad place, especially when I contrast it to nonsensical academic goals/politics. Though it's not clear if they are willing/able to have me back at this point. Old team lead would be delighted but is not the final decider on it.

By and large, grad school was definitely a "how the sausage gets made" experience. The trajectory was rather in line with the first year of this guy's epic PhD quest: http://pgbovine.net/PhD-memoir/pguo-PhD-grind.pdf The difference is that the professor was far less of a slave driver and I was pulling my weight from Day 1 instead of being relegated to busy-work (when that guy was told "get our extravagantly buggy software to run on 100 kernel drivers!"... *shudder*). The project was still bollocks though and they were still trying to brute force their way past an exponential-scale problem, almost exactly like the KLEE project in PhD Grind. (We were even working on a related problem area as the KLEE guys!) Then I came up with their breakthrough idea, which the supervisor had a different student to use as the centerpiece of his PhD proposal presentation. That succeeded in pissing me off.

(Incidentally, my breakthrough idea didn't make the project stop being bollocks, only made it feasible enough to write a paper about. Not to use in the real world.)

For the second year I was splitting my time between the professor's bollocks project, and my own project (which I will defend my thesis on and release as open source this fall), but which I had almost no support on. Such huge huge values disconnect, such misjudgment on my part of what I was getting into.

Anyways, that's my rant.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Damn.

Daaaaamn.

I thought basic, entry level college was bad enough for stupid stuff, but there you go.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I basically abandoned grad school midway.  Still got the degree but decided I preferred work politics to school ones.  And the pay.  Pay was better than theory.  It sounds like you got screwed, but screwed for two years rather than five or seven.

Hopefully you get your footing again and move onwards.
Well, Goodbye.