News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

My air conditioner stopped working just now. It made a very loud noise, and then stopped blowing cold air. It's 11:54 PM. I live in Phoenix Arizona. I no longer have air conditioning.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Kaldrak

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 25, 2017, 03:55:37 AM
My air conditioner stopped working just now. It made a very loud noise, and then stopped blowing cold air. It's 11:54 PM. I live in Phoenix Arizona. I no longer have air conditioning.

I replaced mine recently. You have one of those big window units or a portable one with an attachable hose?
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Yuthirin

I have neither of those. I'm pretty sure those are what you sell to people who don't live in the desert.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 26, 2017, 01:55:51 PM
I have neither of those. I'm pretty sure those are what you sell to people who don't live in the desert.

I'll bite, what do you have?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

An actual air conditioner. Condenser mounted outside on a concrete block, cooling unit inside. Permanently installed in the walls.

Do you guys not have those? O-o

Anastasia

AC in the window. We used to have central air, but it broke in the 90s and we could never afford to fix it.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I live in a place where it's unnecessary most the year, so most houses don't have them.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on July 27, 2017, 01:42:35 PM
AC in the window. We used to have central air, but it broke in the 90s and we could never afford to fix it.
That's awful.

Quote from: Dracos on July 28, 2017, 12:31:04 AM
I live in a place where it's unnecessary most the year, so most houses don't have them.
Yeah but you also live in the most expensive state in the union.

Anastasia

Half awake at one AM to take the dog out, Mom also is up and mentions 'ooops, family's coming in the morning need to clean up'. 1 AM cleanigyupso9ghnew gju3ne 90ige80hg33g9h3g3g 'ge

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHH.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Was on my way to getting a perfect 12-0 arena run on Hearthstone, my very first one if I managed it. Just needed to win one more game...

So of course, the last game despite me completely controlling the match, a random generation effect summoned a Bittertide Hydra on my side. That's hearthstone for you. You roll the dice, and anything can happen.

For clarity, that's a 5-mana 8/8 minion that's overstatted for its cost...at the price of doing 3 damage to your hero each time it takes damage. The opponent immediately played Volcano, a spell that does 15 damage total...1 damage at a time. Which of course kills it, doing 24 damage to me. And it put me at 2 health.

I had a fairly aggressive deck and had to turn my gameplan into a control game to try and recover. Somehow I still managed to mostly recover getting back up to 12 health, him down to 11 health, and seemingly turn things around so I cleared his board while having small minions on my side and him not having any cards in hand.

Would have been fantastic turn around to win on...except I ALSO didn't have any cards in hand.

And quite unfortunately the heart of the cards was with the other guy. He got the better draws and took back control of the game after seven exhausting turns where I was just praying for my finisher card which I didn't draw.

For all that, it was still a fantastic and exhausting game. Would have been nice to get that 12-0 dream for me, but oh well.

Though seriously, fuck Bittertide Hydra.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Kaldrak

Quote from: Merc on July 29, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
Was on my way to getting a perfect 12-0 arena run on Hearthstone, my very first one if I managed it. Just needed to win one more game...

So of course, the last game despite me completely controlling the match, a random generation effect summoned a Bittertide Hydra on my side. That's hearthstone for you. You roll the dice, and anything can happen.

For clarity, that's a 5-mana 8/8 minion that's overstatted for its cost...at the price of doing 3 damage to your hero each time it takes damage. The opponent immediately played Volcano, a spell that does 15 damage total...1 damage at a time. Which of course kills it, doing 24 damage to me. And it put me at 2 health.

I had a fairly aggressive deck and had to turn my gameplan into a control game to try and recover. Somehow I still managed to mostly recover getting back up to 12 health, him down to 11 health, and seemingly turn things around so I cleared his board while having small minions on my side and him not having any cards in hand.

Would have been fantastic turn around to win on...except I ALSO didn't have any cards in hand.

And quite unfortunately the heart of the cards was with the other guy. He got the better draws and took back control of the game after seven exhausting turns where I was just praying for my finisher card which I didn't draw.

For all that, it was still a fantastic and exhausting game. Would have been nice to get that 12-0 dream for me, but oh well.

Though seriously, fuck Bittertide Hydra.

Never got into Hearthstone. Is it similar to MtG?
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Merc

Yeah its like pretty much just another TCG. It has its own variations and takes advantage of the digital format to do things you can't do with a physical TCG or that would be cumbersome in that format, but generally tries to be a simpler card game barring allowances from the digital format. Rather than lands, it has a fixed mana resource that starts at 1 and increases by 1 each turn up to 10, for example.

It does also have a more humorous or at least non-serious feel to it. Its why it emphasizes a lot of RNG effects compared to other games, so you can get absurd swings like the one I mentioned above.

I'm not entirely sure how or why they have an esport for it given the sheer randomness that can occur honestly. There's definitely a strategy to it, but I've seen people screwed over horribly/saved by RNG in tournaments and having that happen with a ton of money on the line is weird to me.

Kaldrak

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.

Yuthirin

Merc

Last expansion was kinda bad about the free'ish aspect since it had a lot of Legendaries and a really crappy rate on them.

For the next expansion they're promising to do a lot better and it comes out in about 2-3 weeks. Now's a good time to start as well as there's that arena promotion to get free packs from next expansion.