News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Around in the Wilderness

Started by Carthrat, November 21, 2004, 08:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

"Nope.  I'm hiking the trails this time of year.  Only reason I dropped by was because I came across this girl.  Wasn't really my business, but couldn't really just walk by and leave her collapsed there, you know?  So I brought her here."  Cosgrove stretched a bit.
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

"I see," replies the doctor, dubiously. "Can I ask you to stay one night? I'll need you to write a police statement, if you just found her lying about."
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

Cosgrove glanced at the doctor.  "Eeh... Well...Are you covering lodgings?  Not in my budget at the moment for hotel rooms."

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

The doctor pauses, then shrugs. "I have a spare room. Better to let you stay than face the wrath of government technicality enforcers," he says. "It's just down there to your right. The bathroom is just across."

Dracos

"Eh, well enough.  Thanks, I guess.  Night then, Doctor."

Cosgrove headed to the room, looking over it first.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

Pretty simple room, really. There's just not much there; a dressing table, a bed, and a cupboard. That bed looks pretty nice, though.

'course, a shower probably wouldn't go astray, either.

Dracos

Cosgrove dropped his stuff, rubbing his shoulders a bit and figuring he'd get a bit of sleep and a shower when he woke up in the morning if the place had it.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

[09:17] <C-Rat> Cosgrove is just about to settle in for the night when the doctor plows through the door to his room, rushes up to him, and whipers, "She's not *human!*"
[09:18] <Cosgrove> "Huh?  So I wasn't just hallucinating.  Dammit, I was trying to ignore that.  What the heck is she then?"
[09:18] <C-Rat> "How should I know?" says the doctor, worried-like. "Teenage girls with *horns* and *purple hair* weren't covered in med school."
[09:20] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove shook his head.  "I hear you.  Anyhow, is she at least asleep?  I vote for just letting the authorities handle it and all.  I'm not much for delving into mysticism or aliens or whatever she is."
[09:21] <C-Rat> "She's still asleep," says the doctor. "God, I need a brandy."
[09:23] <Cosgrove> "eh..."  Cosgrove looked at the man.  Frowned for a second.  Looked at him again.   Then he reached into his pack, pulled out a small flask and offered it to him.  "Here.  Take a sip."
[09:23] <C-Rat> The doctor blinks, but nods thanks, takes the flask, and takes a 'sip'. If by 'sip', you mean 'gulp'.
[09:25] <Cosgrove> "Bleh...  Anyhow...  Authorities and all?  Someone else to take care of it so I can forget about all this weird crap and get back to hikin' the good ol' paths?"
[09:25] <C-Rat> "Well, I could call the police. I guess," says the doctor, shrugging. "But I'd rather wait until morning, because I don't feel well just now."
[09:28] <Cosgrove> "Eh...fine.  Maybe she'll go back to being some normal idiot teenager who was caught in the rain in the morning." Cosgrove said with a slight bit of hope in his voice.
[09:28] <C-Rat> "We can only hope," replies the doctor, gravely. "Sleep well."
[09:30] <Cosgrove> "You too, Doctor."
[09:30] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove put his flask back away, heading for the bed.
[09:31] <C-Rat> As soon as you hit the pillow, you fall into a deep sleep. Today's really been something, after all.
[09:31] <C-Rat> A few hours later, your eyes blearily clear to an onslaught of light coming in through the window.
[09:34] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove did what all normal men do when faced with such an event.  He swore.  Violently.  Then got up a few moments later groggily, whapping the side of his head a few times to get the sleepiness out.  It'd be a nice time to check on that shower really.
[09:35] <C-Rat> It's a pretty nice shower, with all the modern bells and whistles. Well, he *is* a doctor, so he probably has money to spend.
[09:36] <Cosgrove> Assuming the assumption of no one using it currently holds true, Cosgrove enjoys a shower before heading back to get his stuff ready to go back on the roads again.
[09:38] <C-Rat> While you're getting your stuff together, the doctor pops up. "I'm about to head off to the station," he says. "Are you coming?"
[09:40] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove bowed his head for a second.  "Do you really need me for it?  I'd really like to just get back on the road and pretend I never saw this."
[09:41] <C-Rat> The doctor snorts. "I'd like to leave, too. Besides, two voices are more convincing than one."
[09:43] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove sighed.  "Fine, Fine... but we probably should get one of them over here instead of heading over there and getting tossed in the brig for a day for being drunken idiots spouting madness.  Better that they just see it."
[09:43] <C-Rat> The doctor nods. "I'll make the call now."
[09:44] <C-Rat> He goes off to another room to do so, leaving Cosgrove alone for a moment.
[09:45] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove shook his head, considering just leaving the place for a moment before deciding to go check on the weird girl.
[09:48] <C-Rat> She's been changed by the doctor into loose-fitting white medicalesque clothes, but apart from that, she's much the same; just lying there in a comatose state. Her breathing has come to normal, and apart from the fact that she's apparently in a coma..
[09:48] <C-Rat> ...she looks ok.
[09:50] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove rubbed his eyes for a bit, hoping the whole horns and weirdness bit would vanish.  Seeing no such luck, he headed back to wait with the doctor.
[09:53] <C-Rat> You catch the doctor just putting down the phone. "They'll be around in a few minutes," he comments. "I guess I won't need your help after all, if you want to leave."
[09:53] <Cosgrove> "fine enough with me.  Sorry 'bout dumping this on you."  Cosgrove shrugged, going and grabbing his bag, slipping it on, and heading for the hills!
[09:54] <C-Rat> "Oh, yes. I don't think I caught your name," says the doctor, just before you reach the door. "I'm Kevin Hartgrove, you?"
[09:56] <Cosgrove> "Cosgrove Cromdale." Cosgrove responded.
[09:56] <C-Rat> The doctor nods. "Well, good luck," he says, opening the door for you. "Safe travel."
[09:58] <Cosgrove> "Thanks.  And a good day to you, Mr. Hartgrove."  Cosgrove headed out.
[10:01] <C-Rat> As you walk out the doctor's house, you see a police car coming around a corner and approaching.
[10:02] <C-Rat> A rumbling in your stomach informs you that you forgot to have breakfast, and it's complaining loudly.
[10:03] <Cosgrove> Breakfast...  Cops.  Donut.  Cosgrove headed towards the southern border of the town, looking out for a fast foot type place or somewhere he could just buy a quick sandwich.
[10:04] <C-Rat> There's a few little cafes and fast-food joints, ranging from trendy bagel/foccaia selling joints to a McDonalds.
[10:07] * Cosgrove goes for a bagel with butter for the road!
[10:08] <C-Rat> Doesn't set you back too much, though you note your wallet is getting light.
[10:08] <C-Rat> Though you're reminded that you're lucky to have any money at all, given your present employment status.
[10:10] * Cosgrove grumbles and remembers to keep an eye out for some small jobs in the next town he heads by. There's always something that needs to be handled...
[10:22] <C-Rat> A few days later, Cosgrove is once again crossing the countryside of Ireland.
[10:23] <C-Rat> Pretty average day; a few clouds in the air, but nothing stormlike.
[10:23] <C-Rat> Kind of chilly, but that's expected in this season, and besides, you're used to it.
[10:24] <C-Rat> As you're walking along, though, you hear a faint rumbling coming from behind you. Sounds like a car of some kind.
[10:26] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove blinks, considering the fact that that noise is totally out of place for here, and decides to take a moment and just kind of...get off the visible trail, hiding for a second to see what the heck is coming along.
[10:28] <C-Rat> A few moments later, the car comes into focus. It's black, and looks like a 4WD; one of those 'family cars' advertised for their great off-road capability, but rarely see anywhere but the city streets.
[10:29] <C-Rat> This one, however, is being used for it's purpose, and it's trundling along at a decent rate. You can't make out who's actually in the car clearly, but there look to be a couple of people in the back, and the driver and front passenger seat are filled, too.
[10:29] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove, seeing no reason to either make himself seen or to get involved, just stays out of sight for now.
[10:31] <C-Rat> The car heads forward, oblivious to Cosgroves hidden presence. It passes him, and quickly moves awa.
[10:32] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove waits a moment cautiously and then keeps heading on.
[10:33] <C-Rat> A short while later, you see the 4WD in the distance again, but it's stationary, and you think that's smoke coming from it.
[10:35] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove blinks, and walks a bit faster, heading over just to see what's going on.
[10:36] <C-Rat> The group of 4- look to be teenagers, or young adults- are crowded around the engine, and one of them is shouting at the other- '..you we should've taken it to the mechanic, dumbass!'
[10:38] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove blinked...  and promptly chose a different trail rather than get involved with college frat boys.
[10:39] <C-Rat> Too late- one of them's seen you. He's waving at you, and now one of the others is heading towards you.
[10:39] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove sighed.  "Howdy travelers.  Car trouble?"
[10:40] <C-Rat> "Uh, yeah," says the teenager. 'Slick' would be the word to describe him; he's got short blonde hair, wearing trendy, upmarket clothes..
[10:41] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6
[10:41] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 and gets 11."
[10:43] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for hats to see!
[10:43] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for hats to see! and gets 13."
[10:44] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 6, 2, 6 , Total: 14
[10:44] <C-Rat> "We could use a little help," comments the teenager, shrugging. "Though, uh, I guess you wouldn't know much about cars, seeing as you're hiking and not driving."
[10:45] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6
[10:45] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 and gets 11."
[10:45] <C-Rat> You see, sticking up over the bonnet of the car, a long barrel, that looks suspiciously like a gun.
[10:49] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove nods and moves swiftly out of the 30 degree arc in front of the gun, ignoring the kid.  "Nice gun... now why don't you guys put that crap away."
[10:50] <C-Rat> The guy in front of you blinks, then shouts in a completely different tone, "Hostile on the move! Break cover!" The two guys who are stll standing near the car reach into the engine-part, and produce rifle-looking things.
[10:52] <Cosgrove> "Hey you guys, can you at least say why the heck you're hunting me, huh?"  Cosgrove takes a moment to banter with them to see if they'll actually reveal what the fuck they want.
[10:53] <C-Rat> The guys near the car are fanning out to try and flank you, whereas the other guy behind the car is taking another shot.
[10:53] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 2, 1, 5 , Total: 8
[10:54] <C-Rat> He misses, however, and you note that he didn't fire a bullet, but now a small dart is stuck in a tree behind you.
[10:54] <C-Rat> They ignore your voice, and they're now moving quickly.
[10:56] <Cosgrove> "Now that's just impolite folks.  Where's your civility?"  Cosgrove keeps an eye on the others, intending to take the chance of being out of view to sneak off to another tree, using the woods for hiding cover so he can deal with them one at time and not get surrounded hopefully, picking one of the moving ones to swing behind.
[11:01] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6+3 for stealth-master
[11:01] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6+3 for stealth-master and gets 9."
[11:04] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 5, 1, 1 , Total: 7
[11:04] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 3, 5, 5 , Total: 13
[11:04] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 4, 6, 6 , Total: 16
[11:04] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 2, 6, 5 , Total: 13
[11:04] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 6, 1, 5 , Total: 12
[11:04] <C-Rat> "He's over there! He's getting behind the trees!" shouts the guy who was behind you. You can see he's drawn a pistol, but he's not aiming it, he's rushing towards you to get a better shot.
[11:05] <C-Rat> The flanking guys change direction, and as you run, you can hear them coming after you. Sounds as if they're catching up a little, too.
[11:05] <C-Rat> But still, you've got the advantage of cover.
[11:10] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove goes low, moving quickly tree to tree towards the guy, trying to close before he can get a mark, drawing his sword to remove the hand holding the gun as he keeps running past him.
[11:13] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for swordsmaster drive by!
[11:13] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for swordsmaster drive by! and gets 13."
[11:13] * Bjorn --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for swordsmaster drive by! and gets 10."
[11:13] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for other sword, spinning around to strike if I missed!
[11:13] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for other sword, spinning around to strike if I missed! and gets 8."
[11:13] * Bjorn --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for other sword, spinning around to strike if I missed! and gets 13."
[11:19] <Cosgrove> roll 1d6+1d6 for damage
[11:19] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 1d6+1d6 for damage and gets 5."
[11:19] * Bjorn --> "Cosgrove rolls 1d6+1d6 for damage and gets 9."
[11:20] <C-Rat> You can't quite take off the guys hand, but you leave a pair of brutal gashes across his chest, and he screams in pain, clutching across it with his other hand.
[11:20] <C-Rat> He keels over a bit.
[11:21] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove keeps running, moving for cover quickly and listening to try and place the others.
[11:21] <C-Rat> The flanking guys, however, have been alerted to what he's been up to. The report of rifles is heard as they take shots at you.
[11:21] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 5, 4, 6 , Total: 15
[11:21] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 4, 2, 4 , Total: 10
[11:21] <C-Rat> They miss, however, and you hear trees splinter behind you as they do.
[11:24] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove keeps moving, trying to hide in the woods again as he makes a long swing around, trying to get all the way behind the car where the sniper was.
[11:24] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for stealth, likely at a modifier +3 or something
[11:24] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for stealth, likely at a modifier +3 or something and gets 9."
[11:24] * Bjorn --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for stealth, likely at a modifier +3 or something and gets 7."
[11:25] <C-Rat> : 3d6 for sight, 1, 3, 1 , Total: 5
[11:25] <C-Rat> : 3d6 for sight, 2, 6, 3 , Total: 11
[11:25] <C-Rat> : 3d6 for sight, 2, 4, 4 , Total: 10
[11:27] <C-Rat> Cosgrove makes it about halfway before he hears another fire report from nearby- only this time, he's not quite sure where it's from.
[11:27] <C-Rat> : 3d6 for rifle, 6, 4, 3 , Total: 13
[11:27] <C-Rat> : 3d6 for rifle, 3, 1, 5 , Total: 9
[11:27] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for don't fuckin' shoot me
[11:27] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for don't fuckin' shoot me and gets 18."
[11:27] * Bjorn --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for don't fuckin' shoot me and gets 16."
[11:28] <C-Rat> Well, you can't be sure, but you think those shots came from somewhere to the north.
[11:32] * Cosgrove keeps heading for the car for a second before suddenly turning towards a tree, running and leaping, kicking off of it and grabbing for a branch, swinging along it and grabbing for another one, getting higher and trying to lose the gunmen for a bit in the confusing stunt.
[11:32] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 acrobatics
[11:32] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 acrobatics and gets 9."
[11:35] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 perception
[11:35] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 perception and gets 10."
[11:35] <C-Rat> Your ability to brachirate is effective, and you move quickly through the trees.
[11:37] <C-Rat> You manage to see one of the guys hiding behind a tree- but you've been moving *away* from him; you don't know if you can close distance before you get another shot.
[11:40] * Cosgrove keeps a mental coordinate of his position, leaping from tree to tree, and trying to get closer, keeping mainly to trees with a lot of branches to disrupt shots.
[11:40] <C-Rat> Your quick movement helps- but getting closer means an easier shot, and they're going to get some off before you arrive.
[11:40] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 4, 5, 4 , Total: 13
[11:40] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 2, 5, 1 , Total: 8.
[11:41] <C-Rat> A bullet slams into your off-hand shoulder- and it *hurts*.
[11:43] <C-Rat> You manage to keep your grip on the branches though, and you've almost closed the distance!
[11:43] * Cosgrove grunts, the fight suddenly rising from playful to 'fuck these bastards', leaping in a flip attack over the guy and drawing his other sword, striking in an offensive strike at him before landing and running.
[11:46] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 acrobatics
[11:46] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 acrobatics and gets 16."
[11:46] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 to hit
[11:46] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 to hit and gets 12."
[11:46] <Cosgrove> roll 2d6+1 to damage
[11:46] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 2d6+1 to damage and gets 5."
[11:47] <C-Rat> Cosgrove, because he's hurt, manages to fall of the tree and rip a huge gash on the soldiers arm, which causes him to fumble.
[11:47] <C-Rat> He is, however, prone.
[11:47] <Cosgrove> Breakfall
[11:49] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for breakfall
[11:49] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for breakfall and gets 11."
[11:50] <C-Rat> You hear another crack of a rifle- these guys are persistant bastards.
[11:50] <C-Rat> : 3d6, 4, 4, 6 , Total: 14
[11:50] <C-Rat> It splinters a nearby tree, however, miraculously missing your body.
[11:50] <C-Rat> Came from behind you, it sounds, and not that far away.
[11:55] * Cosgrove spins madcappishly on his feet, quickly trying to focus on where the shot came from and running in that direction, swaying left and right using his combat skills to be a difficult target to hit even as he moved quickly to lash out in a defensive strike at the remaining guy, thrusting out.
[11:55] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for this would be really bad to fail, per check
[11:55] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for this would be really bad to fail, per check and gets 12."
[11:56] <C-Rat> Behind you, you see.. the other guy with a rifle!
[11:56] <C-Rat> You rapidly close distance. (Make the attack! O_O)
[11:56] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for EN GARDE!
[11:56] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for EN GARDE! and gets 12."
[11:56] <C-Rat> And a 1d6 damage strike.
[11:56] <Cosgrove> roll 1d6 for DAMAGE!
[11:56] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 1d6 for DAMAGE! and gets 1."
[11:57] <C-Rat> You nick the soldiers side, but not terribly badly.
[11:57] <C-Rat> He retaliates with gunfire at point-blank range!
[11:57] <C-Rat> : 3d6 trigger-jamming., 4, 3, 3 , Total: 10
[11:59] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove's eyes widened as he just reacted instinctually, his knees bending as his wounded arm grabbed reflexively at his sword, swinging up hard at the gun to knock it aside as fast as he could manage.
[12:00] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for martial block
[12:00] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for martial block and gets 13."
[12:01] <C-Rat> It's a great effort, but his shot still impacts you..
[12:01] <C-Rat> : 1d6+1, 6 , Total: 7
[12:02] <C-Rat> And blasts a chunk out your side, spraying blood everywhere.
[12:02] <C-Rat> You can feel your vision start to dim, a little.
[12:06] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove coughs, stabbing upward with his good arm, trying to stab the bastard in a quick offensive strike from below, even as he falls down to the ground.
[12:07] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 for offensive strike >_>
[12:07] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 for offensive strike >_> and gets 9."
[12:07] <Cosgrove> roll 2d6+1 for go down and give me some time to patch myself up
[12:07] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 2d6+1 for go down and give me some time to patch myself up and gets 11."
[12:08] <C-Rat> Well, you manage to gut the guys heart. You don't think he'll be going anywhere... and you're not sure you will be, either.
[12:10] <Cosgrove> Cosgrove groans, grabbing into his pack and trying to make a quick bandage over the stuff, listening and laying low for the moment.
[12:10] <Cosgrove> roll 3d6 Paramedic
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Cosgrove rolls 3d6 Paramedic and gets 12."
[12:11] <C-Rat> Unfortunately, your vision slowly blacks out as the pain becomes simply too great. Just before you pass out, you hear quick footsteps running towards you...
[12:11] <C-Rat> <->