News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Adventure 2.0 - Heli 3. Will Rat survive a nasty new world?

Started by Anastasia, December 11, 2004, 08:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

OOC - Let's begin. Good luck, good gaming, and don't end up splattered on the pavement, Rat. We'll be laying out the scenario in the first few posts, I'm thinking. No huge rush to get it all in the first gulp.

As always, I'm leaving it with some wiggle room for you to play with. I'll tighten it down as we go on the first page or two.

IC -

Your newly acquired ship glides down, the dry grasses and parched dirt blown about from the wind your gentle decent produces. The sun sets behind you, spilling fading light all about as the landing legs perch in the field you have chosen for now. Save for a cluster of small, leaf challenged trees to your north, nothing disrupts the still landscape but your own landing.

Inside..."We're down," Tir annouces from his seat, taking off the navigator's eyeview. "Ground's stable and we should be able to lift off from here in a hurry if need be. Not too many miles from the colony we detected," he adds, stretching out as he stands, white T-shirt and black pants the norm for him as always. "This is it. A bunch of people, plenty of space, and enough minerals under the surface...if you don't get blown up trying to get to them," he adds with chuckle.  "Knowing you, that means they're a lost cause."

From behind your captain's chair, Rachel rises as well. "Tir," she says in a slightl annoyance, "The colony Narva...the computer says that it's a one of the biggest cities on the planet." Indeed, it is, relatively peaceful and civil - relatively, as the residents manage a tiny bit of outside trade between internal wars with other planetary factions. Managing this, they have more money and stable technology than the others, giving them a high place on the food chain despite a small area of land controlled. It's the best and more reliable place you could figure to touch down at, as any others were an even bigger toss of the dice.

Outside, as the sun sets on this world, a new day begins to grow, waiting for the rising of the sun to begin. Will it be the same next nightfall, after you've begun?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Carthrat

"Mmm," comments Carthrat, pulling back his ever-growing hair and tying it with a small band. Dammit, he really needs a haircut.

"Look, all we need is a little backing, a little time, a couple of connections, and we can get to mining. If all goes well, we shouldn't get into any fights.

Well. We shouldn't *start* any fights. I expect that from the outer colonies, but if this one is really as up to scratch and developed as it looks, we shouldn't have much trouble. I'm just worried about somebody showing up with the singular goal of ruining my day. Let's stick together while we're on this planet. And lock the doors on the ship, Tir."
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

"We'll probably have to deal with that at some point," Tir agrees as you go on. "You could get pacifist monks to swear a blood feud against you," he adds easily, taking a moment to rub his gloved hand. "Anyway, I want to stay here for now - I can take care of myself, you can take care of yourself and the girl. The ship can't quite take care of itself if someone gets greedy and serious about it."

Rachel nods quietly, taking a step closer to Rat. "I don't mind that," she says quietly, mostly for your ears.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

Carthrat's hand gives Rachel's an unconcious, reassuring tap.

"Right," replies Carthrat. "This'll just be a supply run. Hopefully we can get a light car or something for transport, too. We'll be back in a few hours, most likely. Oh, yeah, how much cash have we got?"

Anastasia

"After all the expenses to get here? 15,398 C," Tir replies. "I'll see if I can dream up some way to get some more money while you're gone."
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

"We didn't pay to get here," reminds Carthrat. "Mr. 'Let's-park-in-the-woods-to-avoid-detection-and-costs. Where did you *get* all that cash, anyway?"

Anastasia

"I kept busy before I met up with you again, and before that," he shrugs, walking past. "If I didn't have some money after all this time..."

As Tir walks out, Rachel frowns slightly but keeps quiet until he's gone. "I suppose..." she murmurs, before turning to you. "Are you ready," she asks simply.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

"Yeah. Later, Tir!" says Carthrat, pulling up his dusky cloak and heading out the ship. "I wonder how cold it is out there, anyway."

Anastasia

Dressed in a ulitarian grey dress and white long sleeve blouse, Rachel goes on. "I don't think it's suppposed to be that cold," she comments. "Perhaps warm by English standards." As you reach the exit hatch, you note a little panel on the side notes the outside temperature - 63 Fairenheight. A cool spring day, perhaps, on Earth.

OOC - Yay, the American/Metric divide pops up again.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

"At least it's not raining," replies Carthrat, dryly, opening the hatch.

Anastasia

Stepping outside into the view, the slowly, oh so slowly setting sun spills orange light all around. Blue-green shortgrass blows in a light breeze. It's cool but not cold, bordering slightly more on warm instead.  Besides a few small trees north of the ship, is a gently sloping plain. Not too bad at all, honestly.

Once off the steps down, "It's supposed to take four hours for the sun to set here," Rachel comments, as you smell the air. It's mostly clean, but an underscent of exhaust and metal can be detected, the siren scent of technology. "Longer night and shorter days," she muses, glancing up at the orange sky, green overpained by the large setting sun.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

"Ordinarily, I'd be thrilled, but I hear most people don't like doing mining at night," replies Carthrat, shrugging. "Well, there's nothing to be done."

He produces a printed map, and starts walking towards the city.

Anastasia

According to it and your scans, there is a road perhaps a mile away. And indeed there is, the walk going by without incident. The sun is almost frozen in it's slow setting when you reach the road. It's not a highly technical affair, merely a pitted line of tarred asphalt running to both horizons.

Low tech indeed. It would be hell on a wheeled vehicle, and a bumpy ride on any sort of ground reliant hover craft. No one is about  or going on it right now, two widish lanes cut in the middle of the grass.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

"Someone should see to the upkeep of these roads," comments Carthrat. "It's probably faster to travel on the grass."

Anastasia

Kneeling at the edge of it, Rachel briefly holds a little broken bit of the roadstone before rising. "It looks like a road from a war movie," is her comment. "Like it's been attack or not been repaved in dozens of years." Quietly, to you, she turns. "I hope thiis isn't a sign of what's ahead."
<Afina> Forever.