News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

POST OF THE DAY

Started by Dracos, December 21, 2004, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kt3

I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Brian

Doubtless, this was inspired by the Turducken.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Brian on November 24, 2011, 12:59:32 PM
Doubtless, this was inspired by the Turducken.
Hahahaha.

BTW, have you ever had turducken? Chicken cooked inside a duck inside a turkey sounds better than it tastes. The peculiar taste of turkey doesn't really mix well with the greasiness of duck nor the relatively clean taste of chicken, and the greasiness of duck doesn't go well with either of the other two. Of course, other tastebuds may disagree...
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Brian

Never tried it personaly, but knowing what I do of duck, I suspect I'd probably agree with your analysis.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Kt3

I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

thepanda

Fun is a perfectly reasonable argument. Otherwise how would you recommend arcade-style beat-em-ups?

Kt3

Easily!

Arcade-style beat-em-ups are exercises in resource management, as are most games, except what you are managing are limited resources such as weapons, life, and numbers of enemies onscreen.  Failure to manage enemies onscreen will result in failing the game, hence proper handling of enemies who come from all directions is part and parcel of the challenge, and hence, the game.  A good beat-em-up strikes the proper balance between challenging and easy, in managing number, direction, and AI of enemies on-screen.  Having even just a small amount of challenge greatly increases the enjoyability in that it increases the dimensions of play.

Another related item of development are the temporary rewards that need to be balanced, not to mention permanent rewards.  Temporary rewards such as weapons, small bonuses, maybe even invincibilities, need to be intelligently placed in order to give a breather, feel effective (important!), but also not be too often as to make the rewards trivial.  Likewise permanent rewards.

An arcade-style beat-em-up that manages all of those things are fun, but fun for very good reasons, rather than fun as in "well I haven't played a beat-em-up can't wait to sit in a corner and jam A all day".

Shall I continue? :)

thepanda

Congratulations! You've made Golden Axe, Captain Commando, Streets of Rage, and Final Fight sound as tedious as Front Mission 4. >_>

Kt3

Over-analyzation is my modus operandi! :d

thepanda

But you're supposed to make me WANT to play the game! o_O

DY

My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

thepanda

Merc

I didn't like the start of that, but it did get better (the 20% cooler part of the title, I guess!) once it got to the portion with lyrics. I didn't like how some of the beat generally drowned out the vocals though.

Have you ever heard Pony Swag, btw, Panda?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

thepanda

Not until you just showed it to me. o_O