News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

POST OF THE DAY

Started by Dracos, December 21, 2004, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

NOSTALGIA ... BEEEEEEEAM!

Discussion of some of the first flashes we ever saw brought up these gems:

http://gprime.net/flash.php/walksmashwalk

http://www.poptix.net/funny/videostar.swf

And who could possibly forget:

http://www.allyourbasearebelongtous.com/flash/
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Without 'All Your Base', the Internet would have remained completely ignorant of the noble cause of Great Justice, and would have wandered in unspeakable darkness for eternity...

So, pretty much the same as it's doing now, except with fewer memes.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

KLSymph

I saw this and I still don't understand.

Quote from: Alias49For an analogy to be effective it must be made to a common point of history. Real world history, particularly the dramatic and relatively recent portions, is one of the safest topics to pull such imagery from. That's why the Nazis, easily the most well known group of despised individuals in modern historical perspective, make for an easy point of analogy.

It's also true that horrible figures from history become ingrained in the public knowledge for thousands of years through the works of writers and historians and other artists. "Et tu, Brutus?" from Shakespere harks back to the Roman Empire and is a call back to intimate betrayl with deathly consequences. Judas calls a similar image, tinged with religious trappings and greater stakes than Ceasar's assassination. Benedict Arnold is another traitor whose name became synonymous with the more impersonal form of treason. Adolf Hitler is an image of charismatic, ranting evil. Joeseph McCarthy is similarly charismatic paranoia.

Using the past as a living source of imagery does not diminish it or take away from the perspective of the enormity of evil in the past. Denying that imagery, however, isolates it. I understand your feelings and your logic, but if we are to truly respect and honor the memory of our mutual history, we must put it to use in our lives. And this activity, as trivial as it is, is a part of our lives. Now I'm not saying that everything should be about remembering the past or I want a Nazi story on the Addventure or anything like that, but in this kind of situation, when the analogy can be made, we should not be afraid to make it. It does not have to be made, but it should not be condemned outright.

That is to say:

Quote from: Alias49, reminded with perspectiveUsing the past as a living source of imagery (by comparing a fanfiction forum moderator to a Nazi) does not diminish it or take away from the perspective of the enormity of evil in the past (where Nazis killed millions of people). Denying that imagery (by not comparing people to Nazis), however, isolates it. I understand your feelings and your logic (for not calling someone I dislike a Nazi), but if we are to truly respect and honor the memory of our mutual history (such as the suffering of genocide victims and the sacrifices of soldiers in war), we must put it to use in our lives (by not hesitating to call people we dislike Nazis). And this activity (of arguing about the actions of a fanfiction forum moderator), as trivial as it is, is a part of our lives. Now I'm not saying that everything should be about remembering the past or I want a Nazi story on the Addventure or anything like that (because such discussion would be inappropriate and distasteful for an unrelated fanfiction forum like the Addventure), but in this kind of situation (where we are debating whether we agree with how the Addventure's moderator conducts the forum), when the analogy can be made (that a fanfiction moderator is comparable to a Nazi), we should not be afraid to make it (by calling a fanfiction moderator a Nazi). It does not have to be made (because there is no rhetorical need to call a someone a Nazi), but it should not be condemned outright (if we go ahead and call someone a Nazi).

Maybe if I keep staring at it, it'll make sense.

UPDATE: Alias49 revealed that he is Ryvaken Lucius Tadrya. Without giving information about a private email exchange, it is hard to describe the level of ridiculousness this adds.

Brian

That guy's amazing.  Someone should copy your post and throw it in his face on the addventure.

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

All I could see was:

QuoteMaybe if I keep on not making sense, KLSymph will go away! I mean, what do I have to lose except my dignity?
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

You should have a hidden counter on the front page for every post someone dedicates to trying to get you 'fired' from the addventure. I mean if Bast! hasn't done it after all this time. . .

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

The man speaks truth. The smart ones avoid all that glitter, but it's so much easier said than done.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

http://kotaku.com/5929381/report-zynga-insiders-dumped-lots-of-stock-before-it-tanked

Edit: You have to read the comments to get the full effect.  Trust me on this.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

DY

That was awesome haha.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

I'm...honestly not sure what they're referencing, but it's quite amusing regardless.

Merc

Alethiophile:
Referencing an episode of Simpsons. Springfield gets lot of money and they're going to improve the city, but conman shows up.

Uses a musical number to get them excited to buy/build a monorail, then cuts corners for a faulty product, takes the money and runs away with it.

Click on the link and you'll probably enjoy the comments more then. :p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.