Main Menu

POST OF THE DAY

Started by Dracos, December 21, 2004, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90 <-- 'Power Rangers Bootleg'

So...right off the bat, I'll note that I didn't really care for this, which is apparently a dark and gritty reboot/parody of Power Rangers that just came out short while ago.

It has James Van der Beek (Dawson's Creek guy) and Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica gal).

The director has been noted as not caring about Power Rangers and basically was just trying to cram as much dark and gritty cliches into it as he could, he wasn't trying to do a pitch or doing it for the awesome, he was trying to almost do satire, I guess?

That might be why I didn't really care for it. For all the nice effects, acting, and action...it had nothing that felt like it was power rangers under all the glitz.

That said, a lot of people seem to think its cool and someone else here might too? Apparently Saban is trying to get it taken down too, so might as well give it a look before that happens, I guess.

Alternatively, some other fan films that might be more enjoyable:
Mortal Kombat: Rebirth <-- Actually spawned a web series. Had some mixed feelings on that as some of it was really awesome, some not as much.
The Punisher: Dirty Laundry <-- Oddly enough, this has the same director as the power rangers thing above. It's been linked somewhere on the board before too.
Batman: City of Scars <--A little too much internal monologuing, but otherwise decent enough. Fairly long at 30 minutes or so, too.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Yeah, I didn't finish it, but...it was kinda terrible.  I think I stopped when generic scarface Tommy was fighting generic scarface...somebody?

I could go into detail, but it was really bad.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

I had to watch the start of the credits just to try and figure out who the hell Van der Beek was supposed to be. His character's name (Rocky, apparently) probably did get dropped somewhere in there, but I had trouble hearing them sometimes on top of everything else.

Dracos

The audio balance was just painful.  It was really difficult making anyone out over the background noise.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

Well, that was a thing to watch. The action sequences were decently choreographed, if nothing else.

I think it's just a short fan-made film of no consequence. If you follow the link under the video the director explains his uh, reasoning, if you can call it that. I think he was just messing around.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Dracos

I admit, I'm kind of surprised as 15 minutes of video with effects and actors can't be all that cheap.

Couldn't go too far listening to him.  Bias: If you wear clown makeup as part of your everyday thing, people may just tune you out.  Didn't get to the reasoning.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

I cannot decide if this is totally awesome or incredibly stupid. Maybe...both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RqpItxd8M

Watch if you like cheesy eighties action movies. It is called Kung Fury.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

DY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
Completed tie fighter star wars short, looks really awesome.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Dracos

Watched it.  Pretty neat, though sorta onesided.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVuv7mDNqM

Earthbound is the best game in the world...Tribute.
Well, Goodbye.

Rukatin

What did the Doctor say to Mr. Homes when he had bad constipation?

"No shit, Sherlock."
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

Classy. :Is there a word for when you wince and smile a little bit too?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on April 09, 2015, 01:45:07 AM
Classy. :Is there a word for when you wince and smile a little bit too?
Pun (Although depending on the person, it may be more accurate to say it's a word for when you smile and wince a little bit too)

Kaldrak

It's anime time!

Animegraphy 2012

Animegraphy 2013

Animegraphy 2014

I found some AMV's where the author took clips from multiple titles in the same year and did a sort of mashup thing. I really enjoy this. Hopefully you will too.