News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Miss Origami

Started by Ebiris, January 04, 2005, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

A lazy Spring afternoon in London. Just the day on which a person might be inclined to curl up by the window with a good book to while away the hours...

However, such lazy pursuits are not on the agenda for Kaitlin O'Hara. Although her job does let her facilitate such for others. Manning the public information desk on the ground floor of the British Library, the young redhead finds herself witness to the comings and goings of all sorts...

A little boy tugs on his mother's skirt as they enter through the large glass revolving doors, asking where the comic books are. An older gentleman at one of the neighbouring desks embarrasedly searches his pockets for change to pay the late fee on his book. And a harried looking young woman with facial piercings and dyed pink hair with black roots showing through approaches Kaitlin's own desk, clutching a rucksack in her left hand tightly...

Bean Bandit

Kaitlin sighed inwardly and resisted the urge to yawn. She really did enjoy her job here, but desk duty at the British Library had to be one of the most mind meltingly dull parts of her job. Still, one must earn their paycheck, as her supervisor always told her.

On the bright side, it kept Kevin Miller up in the office from chatting her up and asking if she wanted to see his 'little leprechaun'. Honestly. She might have had a hint of a accent still clinging stubbornly to her speech, but it wasn't as though she was straight out of central casting. She was actually rather proud of her long, dark hair, even if it did contain more than it's share of red.

As the thought crossed her mind, she touched it, making sure it was all still bundled loosely at the back of her head, and glanced down longingly at the HG Wells novel she'd been sneaking looks at while attempting to appear perky and alert for those who came in. She desperately wanted to go back to reading 'The Invisble Man', but business looked to be picking up. Reluctantly, she gave her full attention to  her job for the moment.

She notes the small boy with a smile, and the man at her coworker's desk, before the girl catches her attention, and almost overcame her trained reaction to avoid gawking. She down quickly, to avoid intimidating the girl as she approaches by staring.  My goodness. Aren't there better things to do with fruit drinks than pour them in your hair?

Carefully making sure the rather catty thought didn't show on her face, Kaitlin looks up with a professional smile firmly in place once the girl comes close enough. "May I help you?"
---
I love the games I've played here.

Ebiris

"Yeah," the girl nods quickly. "Please tell me you've got a copy of Studies in Reflecting Abstraction by Jean Piaget." She puts her free hand on the desk and drums her fingers nervously. Black fingernails, you note. "I really need it for an essay due in tomorrow, and I can't find it anywhere!"

Bean Bandit

Ahhh. Kaitlin smiles, not a little sympathetically. I've seen -this- before, haven't I now. "Just a moment, I'll check the files. Did you have an author for the book, or any other information?" she asks politely, turning the the small computer her novel is secreted under, and looking up to the girl with the vibrantly colored hair questioningly.
---

Ebiris

"It's by Jean Piaget," the girl repeats. "He's meant to be pretty famous, or something. Never even heard of him till they set the essay questions..." she trails off with a grumble.

Your monitor brings up the search results almost instantly. The head branch (here) has eight copies. Oddly enough, all of them are currently on loan. Luckily, the system also notes results from the surrounding libraries. Waterloo has two copies, one of which is on loan.

Bean Bandit

Kaitlin blushes, shaking her head in embarrassment. "Oh. Sorry, You did say that, didn't you." she murmurs, having a look at the display. "Hmm....How odd. All of our copies seem to be currently on loan, Miss." she replies apologetically.

"Waterloo branch has a copy remaining, however. If you like, I'll call them and ask them to hold it for you?" She offers.
---

Ebiris

"Yes please!" she nods quickly. "Uh..." she fumbles in one of the side pockets of her rucksack, "Do you need my library card to do that or do you just need to give them my name?" she asks, unsure.

Bean Bandit

Kaitlin smiles a little more. I bet that's an important essay. "I'm not sure." she admits. "Some of the librarians there are more strict than others. If you'll give me your name for now, I'll try that, but have your card ready, just in case?" she suggests, reaching for the phone, and the library directory, and beginning to dial the Waterloo branch.
---

Ebiris

"Waterloo public library, how may I help you?" a matronly sounding voice on the other end of the line greets you.

As you dial, the girl produces her dark blue library card and places it on the desk, looking on hopefully.

Bean Bandit

"Hello, this is Kaitlin O'Hara, from the Main Branch." She replied pleasantly, but briskly. Phone voice. Don't waste time, but don't be rude. She mentally recited on reflex. "Our records show that your branch has a copy of  'Studies in Reflecting Abstraction' by Jean Piaget on the shelves, and there's a young lady here who'd like it set aside for her until she can arrive and check it out herself."

As she talks, Kaitlin glances at the card on the desk for the girl's name.
---

Ebiris

Felicity Kerr, reads the library card, in small black print over the white strip along the middle.

"Certainly, Ms O'Hara," the woman on the other end of the line replies agreeably. "We can put it aside for the rest of the day. Who's name shall I hold it in?"

Bean Bandit

Kaitlin smiles at the waiting girl reassuringly. "That'll do nicely, thank you. And it's for Ms. Felicity Kerr." She informs her counterpart at the other library.
---

Ebiris

The woman at Waterloo confirms she'll hold the book before hanging up, while Felicity replaces her library card in her bag. "Thanks. Now I just need to get over to Waterloo, get the book, then pull another stupid all nighter... Oh, well. Thanks a lot for your help!"  she waves, heading out of the library.

As she leaves, a slightly older woman with long black hair, dressed in the typical library uniform of brown skirt and waistcoat over a white shirt approaches you from behind the desk.

Bean Bandit

Kaitlin spies the woman dressed as one of her co-workers from the corner of her eye, and quickly and discreetly nudges her novel even further under the computer. They didn't catch me, did they?
---

Ebiris

If she noticed your book, she pays it no mind.

Leaning in close, she speaks in a hushed tone. "Miss Origami. You are wanted downstairs. Mr Joker has a task for you."